Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

17 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

This is not about "freedom" but about caring for one another.

I presume everyone has seen examples of people infecting others because they chose not to wear a mask and had the virus.  That's exactly how I got it; because some selfish a-hole didn't want to wear a mask and didn't care how many people they infected and possibly killed.

It's appalling how many people don't give a fig about anyone but themselves.  Whining about "masks make me sweaty!!" and "I'm so borrreeedddd at home!!"  Well, sorry that you hate your home and your family so much that you're willing to risk killing them with a deadly virus!

And if we had collectively done what was asked of us 9 months ago we wouldn't be here still complaining about it.

Things got a little better at the end of summer.  We appreciated things a whole lot more and though still cautious we were able to remember what little bits of freedom actually felt like.

Now to double down going backwards after having that taste of something normal, makes it even that much harder.

My county leadership has decided they're done with restrictions and intends to allow everything to open up.  They claim restrictions have done nothing to contain the virus and therefore it makes sense to just open up and let people do whatever they want.

It sure makes me glad I already got the virus.  Otherwise I'd be terrified to step outside my front door.

For Los Angeles county (CA) the current recommendation is to not administer aid to those with a lessor than good chance of survival.  Medics are being asking to also make that determination in the field, to not transport and leave some behind.  My son is a medic in the next county and it's been grueling.  I can't imagine if this happens to his county.  I can't imagine that responsibility. . .looking families in the face and denying care and having to leave. 

Yet my friend wants to come to town and have girls night on Thursday. 

3 minutes ago, reinventmyself said:

For Los Angeles county (CA) the current recommendation is to not administer aid to those with a lessor than good chance of survival.  Medics are being asking to also make that determination in the field, to not transport and leave some behind.  My son is a medic in the next county and it's been grueling.  I can't imagine if this happens to his county.  I can't imagine that responsibility. . .looking families in the face and denying care and having to leave. 

That is apocalyptic. The hospital my father-in-law is in has just opened their field hospital because they are now overrun. 😓

5 minutes ago, reinventmyself said:

I was reading about this earlier....it’s horrifying. 

21 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

Where does your friend plan to go?  Everything's severely restricted!

Let your friend and whoever is foolish enough to join her have their girls night spreader event.  You can stay at home and be safe.

Unfortunately, I have other equally reckless friends she can hang out with.  They are currently either sick or recently exposed and got tested today.  But that doesn't seem to stop her from getting on plane and coming anyway.  

And in CA there are no consequences for restaurants and bars being open.  Even though we have a stay at home order, it's more or less the honor system.  There is no Covid police here.

I avoid doomscrolling as well as social media vexation.

Both these things aren't good for anyone's mental or physical health.

What matters is one's own activities and caution and adherence to appropriate scientific and medical data.

Stay in your own bubble, mentally emotionally and physically.

Whatever weirdos wackos reckless people are doing out there sucks but the only recourse is to isolate oneself from this mentally and physically.

Stress is a huge drain on mental and physical health. Jumping into it unnecessarily is unfortunately easy to fall into, but it's best to resist the urge.

• Like 2

Care rationing has already begun here but in a different way. You need to be REALLY sick to be admitted to the hospital. People who would have been admitted to the hospital in the past are now being told to stay home or being sent home. Even hypoxic people. There just isn't the space, staff, or resources. It doesn't exist. 

I've talked to doctors and heard stories of people begging to be admitted but having to go home. Many then crash and die because by the time they get worse, it's too late. 

This is the time to be assertive. Say "no". They will get over it. We are approaching 400k Americans dead. You cannot take your chances. 

• Sad 1

I have a acquaintance/friend.  I don't know her well, but I really like her.

She posts on FB some pretty wild theories.   As much as I want to respect someone's personal opinion and let it go, why wouldn't you do your homework before you post something outrageous and tell people to share it and pass it on.

Mind you she's an attorney.  One would think she'd be more thoughtful. 

Yesterday "Big news of the world. . From Italy.  It's not a covid virus.  We are being poisoned by "Amplified Global 5G Electromagnetic Radiation"    I immediately entered it into a search and it's a hoax.   Does she care at all how silly she looks?

She posts that supposedly 14,000 patients in Italy were given aspirin and some other drug, not covid protocol related and they all got up and walked out of the hospital.

This is the same friend who posted in bold type that Biden is committing treason.

Is everyone losing their minds?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, reinventmyself said:

Is everyone losing their minds?

Can certainly feel that way! Then again, speaking only for myself, it kind of felt that way before Covid. 

I think it has to do with how much information we now have access to, but without having the same kind of trusted gatekeepers and authorities we once did. No more major papers, no more evening news, at least not in the way those things once existed. Now we have a free-for-all of "news" feeds, endless scrolls programmed to reinforce whatever belief system we ascribe to for a few seconds: astrology, crystals, conspiracies, deities, and on and on, to the point where distrust and paranoia are mistaken for intelligence and logic. 

So rather than finding comfort in asking questions and listening to experts—professors, doctors, scientists, journalists, etc.—many now find comfort in proclaiming themselves experts, in having all the answers, posting those answers ad nasueum to keep their own doubts at bay. This was the state of things, roughly, before the pandemic: a strange, tragic little fire with Covid acting like an accelerant.  

My few cents. 

• Like 3

I've never before seen grown adults literally throw themselves on the floor of a store and have a screaming tantrum in public. And yet, we are seeing it now because people are being asked politely to do one small thing to try to help curb the spread of a deadly virus. It's insanity! Equating wearing a small piece of cloth over your mouth and nose with slavery and the Holocaust???

I've seen people be a-holes before but not on this level.

7 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I've never before seen grown adults literally throw themselves on the floor of a store and have a screaming tantrum in public. And yet, we are seeing it now because people are being asked politely to do one small thing to try to help curb the spread of a deadly virus. It's insanity! Equating wearing a small piece of cloth over your mouth and nose with slavery and the Holocaust???

I've seen people be a-holes before but not on this level.

Utterly ridiculous. Comparing it to be ing murdered ??? Really??? 

This is like a nightmare posting this update. I was going to skip it, but all of you have been so supportive.

So, my relative has been admitted into the hospital. They couldn't breathe last night. They have now being given oxygen and all kinds of other tests. They are waiting for their covid result but there's a good chance that it's positive.

I am trying not to worry, but this isn't good.

Then we got more news, one of my moms friends is now in hospital. They are close to being put on a ventilator.

What a day.

I am trying to distract as there is nothing else to do right now but sit and wait.

• Sad 3

Outbreak at my dads job and everyone got it. I tested positive for Covid-19 Nov 23rd. My kids tested negative while I received my results. Rapid testing , you receive results within 1 hour. My ex-wife picked them up kids right away . My ex and kids tested twice after and negative results. I'm so grateful my kids escaped just in time.  I tested negative after 2 weeks.  My mother had no symptoms but was testing positive. She finally tested negative last week.  For some people it can take 30 days for virus to clear the system.  Next week  I can't wait to give my kids their Christmas gifts.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1