New girlfriend a little freaked out by my ex.

Krankor

I'm a male who's about to turn 40. A couple of months ago I met a 34 year old woman and we started seeing each other. Things have gone well; good chemistry, good conversations, we really enjoy each other's company. A couple of weeks ago she let me know that she wanted to go "all in" with me, i.e. become an exclusive couple if I was on the same page. It felt a little soon but my instincts told me that I should take that leap of faith with her, and so I agreed.

When we first started dating I was still not 100% over the last woman I was with. She was 9 years older than me but I was really into her. Looking back, it was more a fling than a relationship but that's not how I saw it at the time. But the new woman really helped me finish pushing her out of my mind, especially when we started having sex.

So, last week she came over. We were doing the "Netflix and chill" thing. We ended up having sex and then afterwards while we were laying in bed together I can't remember exactly how it came up but we were talking about exes for some reason and I mentioned how my previous girlfriend was 48. She got this almost shocked, horrified look on her face and immediately started asking me all these questions: "Why would you date someone so much older?" "How did it even happen?" "Were you even attracted to her?" Within a few minutes she seemed to sort of laugh it off, but I could tell it honestly bothered her on some level.

Since then, she'll sometimes text me things like "Why were you wasting your time with old ladies when you could have been with me much sooner?" Or "Well now that you are done with old ladies we can have some fun." It's always with a smiley or winking emoticon but it's obviously something that's on her mind. What do you think that's about? Would such a revelation bother anyone else?

It's a bit rude. It sounds like she is a little bit jealous that you went out with someone more experienced, but regardless of the reason that's a bit rude.

I would say - look what happened in the past stays in the past, I am with you now and only interested in you. Please stop saying those things - if you and I ever broke up, I wouldn't allow my future girlfriend to speak negatively about you. I respect people who crossed my path even if things didn't work out, and I think our energy is better spent focusing on the future, not in the past.

"When we first started dating I was still not 100% over the last woman I was with. "

My guess is she figured this out and is feeling insecure and jealous as a result. She fears you still may not be "100% over" the other woman, so she slams her hoping you'll think she's right and you were crazy for dating someone so much older.

Yes, if she's really slamming your ex like that, it's because she feels threatened and insecure. If she's someone who feels she gains points by being younger than you, it will be something of a wakeup call to realise that older women can be attractive, too. (Serves her right )

Seriously, though, this kind of chat will start to get irritating if it continues. Let her know that she'll be 48 one day - hopefully - and that she's making herself sound silly and immature.

I can't remember exactly how it came up but we were talking about exes for some reason and I mentioned how my previous girlfriend was 48. She got this almost shocked, horrified look on her face and immediately started asking me all these questions: "Why would you date someone so much older?" "How did it even happen?" "Were you even attracted to her?" Within a few minutes she seemed to sort of laugh it off, but I could tell it honestly bothered her on some level.

Krankor, you should have kept quiet about your exes. There is little gained by going into details about anyone from your past, if it has no impact on the present. Even though you're now exclusive with her, you're still getting to know her and understand what she's about (e.g. if there are any insecurities,...).

Krankor, you should have kept quiet about your exes. There is little gained by going into details about anyone from your past, if it has no impact on the present. Even though you're now exclusive with her, you're still getting to know her and understand what she's about (e.g. if there are any insecurities,...).

True. As I recall I think I was paying her a compliment about being athletic, but that was stupid and I don't know what I was thinking. Even favorable comparisons to exes are never a good idea.

I would tell her the topic is boring, you regret saying anything, and it's done. If you hear about it again she can find someone else to date if it bothers her so much. Honestly, this is starting to reek a bit of manipulation and making you feel bad you had a past with anyone else. And that's a red flag regardless.

In other words cut this jealous sniping off at the knees and keep an eye open for if she starts to take offense at you being in contact with other women that make no sense - your boss, the clerk at the store, your mother.

If so run, don't walk, for the nearest exit.

Archived