Facebook posts by my sister are really embarrassing!

jennylove

First of all, I am no longer on fb. I deleted, yes, deleted my account a few months ago and i think it was the best thing I ever did. But this weekend I went out to a pub crawl where I saw a million ppl that I grew up with. A bunch of us sat at an extended bench table and I kept getting asked if I'm on Facebook. And then out of the blue, a few ppl announced that my sister friend requested them despite them not really knowing her. One of these ppl whipped out her phone and read aloud my sisters latest posts. It was the laughingstock of the bar and not in a good way. A friend of mine let me read some of her posts for myself and it's so embarrassing, especially to herself. She does have coworkers as "friends". Here is one example verbatim of her post:

" my son is my SUN, he means the world to me. I am very OCD about keeping my house clean for me and my SUN. That's why I don't spend my money on manicures, pedis or getting my hair done. I do that stuff myself. I do indulge in one thing though and that is having a MAID come to my house. Yep, twice a year the maid comes over and she cleans from top to bottom. While she's cleaning I go out for a drive in my new 2015 dodge truck- lots of overtime, blood and tears in that truck but I love my truck and I love my life!!'"

She then commented on this post. She then "liked" her own comment.

All of her posts were crap like this. And she is always the only one to comment, and then she likes her own comment. Weird!!

I think we all have at least one FB friend that does this kind of thing. I find it amusing and I don't hold it against them or any of their family members. In fact I have a coworker that does this and we giggle about her posts but we know that's her and we don't think less of her for it. I personally can't fathom posting this kind of thing and liking my own stuff but to each their own. Let it go. I'm sure no one intended on embarrassing you.

These people you met sound like absolute jackasses. Her posts may be a tiny bit odd but not everyone is good at posting online.

If it was me, I'd have stuck up for my sister.

I did stick up for her, always have, always will. I was passive-aggressive in how I gave it back to the woman who read her posts aloud, but my comment embarrassed her tenfold and it put her in her place. But it was still embarrassing.

I did stick up for her, always have, always will. I was passive-aggressive in how I gave it back to the woman who read her posts aloud, but my comment embarrassed her tenfold and it put her in her place. But it was still embarrassing.

I wouldn't be embarrassed by this. From what you've posted I see nothing wrong. My Facebook feed is full of similar stuff from friends and relatives in one form or another.

Unless it's racist or hateful, I just smile and let it go.

And good on you for sticking up for your sister. I'm sure if she knew you did, it would mean the world to her.

If I'm honest, the post from your sister made me cringe - braggy and self-serving, and the sort of thought that is best kept private and not typed up and shared with the world. That being said, the good news is that 1) a lot of people post things like that on social media, so your sister is hardly the only one and 2) it might be embarrassing for her, but I don't think anyone is going to think anything about you because of it, so there's no need for you to be embarrassed.

If you had a certain kind of relationship with your sister, you might be able to say something like "hey, I know you don't mean them this way, but some of your Facebook posts sound kind of braggy". However, based on your other threads, it seems like there is a fair amount of tension and competition between you two, so I wouldn't recommend you bring this up. I understand the impulse to save your sister from being the laughingstock of the dinner party, but in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter if people are laughing at her posts or not. It's mean and childish of them - especially to do it in front of you - which doesn't reflect on your sister at all.

Some of you seem to be blaming me. Mind you, I was the victim. Never blame the victim. Why didn't I walk away or put her in her place when she pulled out her phone? I don't know, I wasn't exactly prepared. What difference does it make? I've been "sticking up" for my sister for 35 years. She's a target. And after 35 years, I'm tired.

Yes, gloworm, I said all of her posts are crap like that. Just calling the kettle black. Her post are ridiculous and not even true.

The posts sounds kind of annoying but nothing that I would pull up, read aloud, and laugh at. So she doesn't buy manis/pedis and twice a year likes to splurge on a cleaner maid? How is that bad/embarrassing with itself?

These people sound petty and kind of cruel, IMO. I think if they are laughing and picking apart your sister like that, they are going to do that to you behind your back.

She seems rather like a braggart looking for validation.
I would argue that ALL people on facebook are at least somewhat "braggarts" looking for validation.

If she only knew people were laughing at her...
Seems that people laugh at everyone who posts on there at one time or another. It's the nature of the beast.

Some of you seem to be blaming me. Mind you, I was the victim. Never blame the victim.
Victim? How are you a victim? If anything you were amiss by hanging out with what appears to be a bunch of bullies.
Some of you seem to be blaming me. Mind you, I was the victim. Never blame the victim. Why didn't I walk away or put her in her place when she pulled out her phone? I don't know, I wasn't exactly prepared. What difference does it make? I've been "sticking up" for my sister for 35 years. She's a target. And after 35 years, I'm tired.

Yes, gloworm, I said all of her posts are crap like that. Just calling the kettle black. Her post are ridiculous and not even true.

I can completely relate to your agreeing with them that her posts are terrible, and still defending your sister. My sister is the queen of foot-in-mouth comments, so I've cringed inside many times while defending her from others' jokes. However, she's an adult, and this is facebook we're talking about, so I say don't make this a big deal. I don't think it's something you need to address, and if anyone brings it up to you again, I'd just say something bland "Facebook is so silly, isn't it" and change the subject.

Family is family. We don't get to choose them. And yes they are annoying and embarrassing. But only we get to say crap about it. If anyone else does, thems fightin words.

Thatwasthen,

I was just trying to enjoy myself at a bar, that's all. I rarely goe out anymore and I just wanted to have a couple of cold beers with people I haven't seen or talked to since elementary school and HS. littke did I know and little was I prepared for the haters. After all, it's been years since I've seen any of them.

Yes, I'm the victim.

Your sister's post is just like billions of others on FB - wasting time trying to make yourself look good to the world. You say they don't reflect reality....well.....duh....it is FB we are talking about right? The land of fantasy life......

Anyway, this is one case where you sis is not the issue, the company you were with was. I dare say that they knew they could get to you like that and did just so quite intentionally. In other words, it wasn't even about her, it was about you and getting under your skin and they did succeed and then some it would seem. Consider maybe that these people from the past should actually stay in the past and if you find yourself around them, be armed with thick skin and all smiles. They'll only pull this stuff if they can see/sense that it bothers you.

Thatwasthen,

I was just trying to enjoy myself at a bar, that's all. I rarely goe out anymore and I just wanted to have a couple of cold beers with people I haven't seen or talked to since elementary school and HS. littke did I know and little was I prepared for the haters. After all, it's been years since I've seen any of them.

Yes, I'm the victim.

Again, I ask: How do you see yourself as a victim? You may have been embarrassed but that just makes you embarrassed, certainly not a "victim."

Anyway, it's neither here nor there. I'm not sure why you would post about this to be honest. Is it because you think you're the victim in this story?

Dancing, I think your assessment is spot on. The witch who read them aloud was actually s little witch from 5th-12th grade. She probably remembered how many fights I fought on my sisters behalf. Thank you for opening my eyes to this. My backhanded response to the Facebook broadcaster/hater was: "yep, there's the Amy that I remrmber. You haven't changed one bit I see." Radio silence.

Completely with TWT. "Why is she posting this?" was the question that stuck in my head, and then when I read the victim bit, it all came together.

The only potential "victim" would have been your sister, but as she wasn't even present to witness it, the whole thing was victimless, even if a bit tacky. In fact, I consider them doing it in front of you to be a testament of how much they disassociate you from these posts.

I suppose every family is different, but I always thought learning not to be embarrassed for family was a lesson learned growing up. You don't choose your family, so what they do is not an inherent reflection on you.

Archived