Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 72

Thread: How to tell if he is genuinely interested or is grooming me for sex?

  1. #41
    Platinum Member Jibralta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4,951
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by elyssac
    I'll admit that I am probably overthinking way more than he is :P
    That's ok. It's not a competition. It's not hurting anyone. Do all the thinking you need to do. Getting Ready for a First Date

  2. #42
    Gold Member Skeptic76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    California
    Age
    43
    Posts
    581
    Gender
    Male
    Originally Posted by reinventmyself
    I am going to take a chance and say he already knows you aren't an easy mark.

    We need to give him some credit here. You've given all the indications that you aren't someone who's going to jump into bed with him.

    Men are pretty good on picking up on whether a woman is up for a romp or not. You clearly aren't. And he's still asking you out.

    It goes both ways. While you are trying to get a read on him, he's busy sizing you up.
    Winner, winner chicken dinner. This is spot on.

  3. #43
    Platinum Member Jibralta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4,951
    Gender
    Female
    elyssac, check out this thread:

    [Register to see the link]

    This lady had a concern similar to yours, but it's interesting because the guy's true nature came to light in the middle of the discussion on this board.

    They had gone out on a few dates. The guy was showing her a lot of attention and seemed to be genuinely interested in a long term relationship. He even talked to her about marriage and kids.

    She really liked him, but didn't want to sleep with him too soon. This was both due to her personal values and due to the fact that she did not want to be used for sex.

    Well, in the middle of her thread (post 25) she found out that the guy had a girlfriend in another town!

    He gave her the typical sob-story, that the relationship is problematic, that he will break up with his girlfriend, yada yada yada...

    Point is, he spent a lot of time on her, and he represented himself to be completely opposite of what he truly was.

    Why? No reason. He just felt like it, apparently.

    There are all sorts out there.

    Might be worth reading this thread and/or reaching out to the poster (celine2) to get her take on the situation.

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    31
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    elyssac, check out this thread:

    [Register to see the link]

    This lady had a concern similar to yours, but it's interesting because the guy's true nature came to light in the middle of the discussion on this board.

    They had gone out on a few dates. The guy was showing her a lot of attention and seemed to be genuinely interested in a long term relationship. He even talked to her about marriage and kids.

    She really liked him, but didn't want to sleep with him too soon. This was both due to her personal values and due to the fact that she did not want to be used for sex.

    Well, in the middle of her thread (post 25) she found out that the guy had a girlfriend in another town!

    He gave her the typical sob-story, that the relationship is problematic, that he will break up with his girlfriend, yada yada yada...

    Point is, he spent a lot of time on her, and he represented himself to be completely opposite of what he truly was.

    Why? No reason. He just felt like it, apparently.

    There are all sorts out there.

    Might be worth reading this thread and/or reaching out to the poster (celine2) to get her take on the situation.
    Hi Elyssac, your story resonates so much with me. I shared almost the same concerns as you regarding a man I was seeing... Please read my thread and if you need more info on my story, do not hesitate to contact me. Though, I hope this man will not end up being like mine !

  5.  

  6. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    31
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by Skeptic76
    In this day and age itís pretty easy to get a hookup for sex just by swiping right enough and being direct if thatís what he really wants.
    This is so true and this is precisely why men seem to have lost their natural 'instincts'... because of all those women out there (who are not few) who have made things so effortless for men and difficult for women like us who do not wish to jump quickly into a sexual relationship...

  7. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    25
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    elyssac, check out this thread:

    [Register to see the link]

    This lady had a concern similar to yours, but it's interesting because the guy's true nature came to light in the middle of the discussion on this board.


    Originally Posted by Celine2
    Hi Elyssac, your story resonates so much with me. I shared almost the same concerns as you regarding a man I was seeing... Please read my thread and if you need more info on my story, do not hesitate to contact me.
    Thank you Jibralta and Celine2! I just read through your thread and wow, Celine2, what that man is doing sounds terrible! I am sorry this happened to you and looks like he acts like what he is doing is fine, which is astonishing. My respect to you for showing your integrity.

    I don't think the man I am seeing has a girlfriend (I've met his roommate and a few of his friends through some online games he invited me to, and while I am not sure how exactly he introduced me, I know his roommate knows that we are dating and they all have been pretty nice to me. It's of course not an evidence against it but I find it unlikely). However, I do share your concern about things progressing quickly (in terms of talks of physical intimacy after our kiss) and "love bombing" (as you have referred to it in your thread) and his flirting starting to feel a little bit disingenuous/odd to me. So perhaps that is indeed a common red flag and I am trying to proceed with caution (e.g. trying not to attached too soon). Yesterday we were chatting and out of nowhere he said "I'd like to kiss you" (topic was something work related, so not flirty at all) and I pointed out that he could when we meet this weekend (he asked me out again and offered to cook dinner this weekend) and he said "who knows if I'll kiss you again, weekend is so far away, so much could happen in between", which sounded silly and meaningless to me. I don't really know what he expects to happen in between or if this was an odd attempt at flirtation or to get me to meet up sooner (he didn't ask that, though). I still feel like he might be just looking for a hookup followed by breaking it off because most conversations he starts now are flirty and have some intimate connotation --apart from some "good morning" texts-- and this sharp change makes me question his genuineness. He did mention sleeping with women he did not intend to pursue before and asked if I had done the same, as well. He claims our attraction isn't just physical but I am not sure if he really means it plus he can still change his mind or his feelings could change in the future.

    But I think Wiseman is right, I can only speculate now and only time will show his true intentions. Perhaps he does indeed like me and wants to pursue a romantic relationship and since I like him otherwise, I plan on continuing to date him for now and I guess I will see how this weekend goes. I try to remind myself I still don't know him well and I think that keeps me a bit grounded without getting too excited about/attached to him.

  8. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    25
    Originally Posted by Celine2
    This is so true and this is precisely why men seem to have lost their natural 'instincts'... because of all those women out there (who are not few) who have made things so effortless for men and difficult for women like us who do not wish to jump quickly into a sexual relationship...
    I am personally fine with other women choosing to hook up with people early on or do one night stands and such since everyone is looking for different things and have different values and needs. However, what I realize now is, because of that, it is actually important for me to know ahead of time what the other person is looking for (as SophiaG and bluecastle pointed out). I keep finding that question too awkward to ask but I think it is important for me to (somehow) get comfortable with asking it in the future so I don't have to question next time and stop wasting time if the other person is looking for something different.

  9. #48
    Platinum Member Jibralta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    4,951
    Gender
    Female
    Originally Posted by elyssac
    I think it is important for me to (somehow) get comfortable with asking it in the future so I don't have to question next time and stop wasting time if the other person is looking for something different.
    Yeah, I agree. I think you had a good opportunity to ask when he asked you whether you were seeing anyone else or not. But it doesn't matter; you can ask any time.

    One thing to keep in mind is that not everyone truly knows what they want. Sometimes, you discover things along the way.

    For example, for a long time, I assumed that I wanted a serious, committed relationship. When I did online dating, I put that in my profile. And when people asked what I was looking for in a relationship, that's what I told them.

    But if you look at my track record from age 20 to 35, my average relationship lasted 3 - 4 months. I was perfectly happy with that, and I didn't even realize it.

    I was in my mid-30s when it finally dawned on me that I didn't actually want to be married and have children.

    It seems crazy that I wouldn't have known that about myself, I know. I guess I was in denial about it....

    ANYWAY, it's possible that (like me) this guy is still figuring out what he wants.

    As Wiseman2 said, time will tell.

  10. #49
    Platinum Member Wiseman2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Cloud Nine
    Posts
    39,485
    Gender
    Male
    You are doing the right thing using optimistic caution. Yes, hard to tell at this stage if he is making lame attempts at being 'flirty' or trying to steer it too hard in the sexual direction. So far he seems interested in you overall.
    Originally Posted by elyssac
    I can only speculate now and only time will show his true intentions. Perhaps he does indeed like me and wants to pursue a romantic relationship and since I like him otherwise, I plan on continuing to date him for now and I guess I will see how this weekend goes. I try to remind myself I still don't know him well and I think that keeps me a bit grounded without getting too excited about/attached to him.

  11. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    25
    Wanted to give an update here.
    We had our date this weekend and spent the night together and based on this last date, I think he does actually like me (although I am not sure if this will work out in the end).
    We had a pretty disappointing first (and second) sex, I think. I can confidently say it was unfortunately the most unsatisfactory sexual experience I had so far and while I am not sure if it's the same with him, I am pretty sure he was disappointed, too. I think he likes me because despite that, he asked to meet up for a walk in the park some time during the week and then see each other again next weekend so I don't think he is seeing me just for sex. At least, if I were hooking up with someone just for sex, I would have called this quits. I guess he could still change his mind, though but I think he must have felt some sort of connection, too.

    We both seem attracted to each other and get turned on by each other but it seems when we get down to business, we are pretty out of sync (I felt similarly the first few times we kissed, too). I am not so sure if this is a compatibility issue or just requires some time and effort to "get in sync", I guess we will see that. He says he usually has trouble orgasming when he sleeps with a new partner for the first time and we can play around/try stuff and figure each other out (I don't think either of us came close to orgasming, unfortunately). On the plus side, we had very open communication during the act (asking for feedback, trying to describe to each other what we like and dislike) and I am glad to see he would like us to try and improve together instead of just saying "yeah, no, this was no good, let's call it quits". However, I felt pretty much nothing during sex (both times although second time I was more relaxed and enjoyed it better overall) and we have so different styles that I am not sure if exploring will actually help that much. But yeah, I no longer have concerns over feeling used and I guess we will see how this will go. We did end up cuddling all night and had a pleasant breakfast so at least that was very nice.

    Thanks again everyone for chiming in!
    Last edited by elyssac; 05-31-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Videos


Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity

Most Women Rather Not Date Unemployed Men
Give Advice
Ask For Advice

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •