Thinking about proposing without a ring.

j.man

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can I get an engagement puppy without having a boyfriend? I just want a puppy...

do you know for a second there i thought the idea makes me want to be proposed to by the nearest idiot who will have me. like i forgot i can have a dog single. like i forgot that i do have a dog, single.

Lirae's idea is such good marketing, you'd get a guy just to get a(nother) dog.

Late to the party sorry....

How freaking exciting - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

My exhusband proposed to me on the beach - he picked up a strange looking holey rock, got on his knees and proposed - it was a huge - he had to hold it in both hands.

So..... I got a massive "rock" for the engagement (we pick out a real one to suit our budget the next day) - the story is so cute, and even with everything that happened to us, it still makes me smile when I think of it. I always joked that no one in the world had an engagement rock as big as mine

Sadly 17 years down the track the rock broke in half - ironically the same year we separated.... (we were using it as a doorstop in the end - oops!)

best of luck - IMHO - it's the memory of the proposal not the gift...

Oh sooooo cool!

Okay, so finally had a chance to go through! I'm sure she'd say yes to J.man with no ring or extravagant proposal. I did. But deep down, after a combo of 99 hours of labor, giving up my body and time for family, and being the breadwinner, and not that it matters, I would have loved a big to do well planned proposal. It's like those moments you share the rest of your life, what your kids tell to their kids.

I totally get that you want to give equally with this engagement, but man, once you get married, there's no room for 50/50. You both give to eachother what you can and when you can, and appreciate it no matter if all they can give is 25% at some point because there will be other times it's 200%. Life hits you strangely.

The ring is something you leave to your children, or at least sell when you need to. Getting married is such a joyous time too, so enjoy some of the traditions important to the both of you.

I will also share that I have never told my hubby that I wish he did the works with the proposal. It's silly two kids later. But, I still think about it.

Best of fun with whichever way you go.

Late to the thread...

Firstly, a big congratulations jman!! Such exciting news!

Must admit there is a lot of replies and I managed to browse through half. So I might have missed some updates.

I think that if you are not opposed to wearing wedding bands, you could get her her half of the wedding bands as engagement ring. Then she can buy your one when it comes time to get married.

I briefly (or...extensively *shifty eyes*) thought about what type of ring I want, in case I was to be asked for an idea of what I want. I thought about I'd be happy with a wedding band, so that I won't need yet another ring for the actually wedding, it's just the one ring, it won't be as expensive, it will be practical (won't knock into things etc).

I eventually decided that I do want a solitaire diamond ring.

But would I be fussed if he did in fact just give me a band (double as wedding band)? No not at all.

I might have missed this, but did she say she wants a diamond ring or any kind of fancy ring? I know she wants a ring, but I think just getting a wedding band would be a good compromise and meaningful too (you're offering for her to wear this ring when you marry and for the rest of her life, just as she will do the same for you, just at a later date instead of at the time of proposal). I think that symbolism of putting a ring on the finger (as you will likely do during the wedding ceremony), is just a symbol. It doesn't matter much what kind of ring (as long as it's durable I guess).

What will be very important I think, is propose in a way / at a location that she loves and thinks is romantic. She might like a public declaration of love at a restaurant surrounded by people, or she might like a private but special location where it's just the two of you. Something that shows that you've paid attention to what she wants and likes would be good.

To be honest, the whole of proposal as the way it is today, and the romance etc. is not necessary, and I don't need to tell you, in plenty different culture, people talk about and agreeing on getting married in a very practical way, without romantic set up or someone getting down on one knee. Agree with what someone else had said, the whole surprise proposal and being romantic thing is in itself sexist because it seems to be all up to the man to decide if he wants to get married (while as you say, she was probably ready ages ago). So if you really want to make a point about equality, why not forget about proposing at all, just have a conversation and come to an agreement.

Considering the whole idea of a proposal is based on sexism (somewhat), and romance, and basically irrationality of human desire (eg wanting to have a nice, romantic memory and a nice story to be able to tell family and friends and your children), perhaps you could consider budging a little on some aspects of your standards, if you're going down the proposal route.

Went ahead and discussed it. I won't be proposing with a ring, nor buying her one specifically for the occasion at a later date. Let her know I'd be more than willing to have her pick one out for her birthday or Christmas gift like I would any other piece of jewelry, even early, and if she wants to treat it as an e-ring, that'd be on her, but that it was important to me that the moment be strictly mutual. Also pitched the exchanging rings idea. We'll sort it out afterward. She might cash in on the birthday present offer but isn't sure either will be necessary. Mentioned she kinda likes the idea of buying herself one and it being hers no matter what. Said she half expected there not to be one for the proposal anyway.

I was raised by a single mother who happens to be both a bodybuilder and electrician. Raised me to respect women as equals, not as women. For better or worse (the worse typically translating into romance), I've always treated women as just that. This would be one of the most important moments of my life, and it's important to me that the mutuality is maintained for it. If she wouldn't get the very same amount of joy I would in agreeing to wed simply for the agreement itself, it would disturb me. I don't require a ring to be 100% happy about it, and thankfully it turns out she doesn't either.

Appreciate all the time and advice everyone put in here. Feel free to keep the discussion going for general purposes or to call me a stubborn idiot. And no judgment on folks who prefer the other way. Plenty of women who would love a ring just as much as a guy would love to give her one. Different strokes for different folks.

This is the update

Damn I was too late to the party haha...

I want to read the story!!! What happened?

it ended with us petitioning to make engagement dogs a thing. what say you?

eta: oh, yes, the J couple. she didn't mind, she didn't think there would be rings involved anyway, she was a true cool Ms J about it. they're getting them together, instead of him proposing with one, or she'll get one as a present. mutuality and equality and such. don't remember it because the puppies psyched me out but sounded very cool and J. he also bought her air bud on bluray, because puppies. puppies puppies puppies.

it ended with us petitioning to make engagement dogs a thing. what say you?

eta: oh, yes, the J couple. she didn't mind, she didn't think there would be rings involved anyway, she was a true cool Ms J about it. they're getting them together, instead of him proposing with one, or she'll get one as a present. mutuality and equality and such. don't remember it because the puppies psyched me out but sounded very cool and J. he also bought her air bud on bluray, because puppies. puppies puppies puppies.

Haha I did read the engagement dogs and laughed at how a hotly debated / discussed thread always takes us to surprising places

Yes I read the update now, very good news Jman! You know you are right for each other and this just shows it once again!

Archived