The Official Valentine's Day Gift Suggestion Thread

annie24

Hi all - I will keep this as a sticky for a few days. I've noticed a lot of threads on the same topic, what to get your SO for valentine's day, so let's have an official suggestion thread.

What are good gifts for:

1) A new relationship (few weeks to a few months)

2) An exclusive relationship

3) A long-term relationship/marriage

And how about some really creative gifts that don't cost a lot of money and come from the heart? Last year, I saw a guy go to a bead/craft shop, and make a charm bracelet for his gf. It was very easy, took him maybe 10 minute to make, the supplies didn't cost very much, but it was a really lovely thought. And looked nice too!

How about ideas for your friends or family? Baking cookies or cupcakes? Giving "certificates" for an afternoon of free babysitting, or offering to run some errands for them?

Yeah, I'm gonna need this thread...lol.

I've been in a relationship for a little over a month, and I have no clue what to get. I was thinking of making a necklace or bracelet for my girlfriend with these craft things my sisters have. Then maybe getting her a flower, teddy bear, and a card. I really want to make it special.

I think at 1 month, you shouldn't do anything too big. If you do, then imagine what she would be expecting on your 1 year anniversary! Something small, like maybe a small box of chocolates, or something else you know she likes. Like if she likes pandas, a small stuffed panda. Personalize it.

Making something is good too. Shows creativity and is less expensive!

On V-Day last year, I had been dating my boyfriend for about 3 months. (We are both sophomores in college.) He brought me breakfast in bed and gave me some of my favorite brand of chocolate, and I got him a DVD season of his favorite TV show and drew him this cute (I think!) card. We went out to dinner (low-key) that night. For me - that was perfect. Thoughtful gifts, but nothing ridiculous, or covered in pink and red.

This year, I am making and framing a drawing of us together for him, and we will probably go out to dinner. No idea what he is doing!

I think for a young relationship it's best to give something thoughtful but relatively low-key and not too high on the cutesy/romantic factor - i.e not too many hearts, ribbons, teddy bears, etc. Something that says you've been paying attention to him/her and what he/she likes. Maybe it's just me ... I would be uncomfortable if a very recent boyfriend showered me with "hallmark" type gifts.

While going on a really fun date is a great idea, I personally love receiving tangible, physical things because I will absolutely keep them forever. I'm not talking bling or anything expensive - a card or something like that.

I think most people who have been in a relationship for a while know each other's M.O for Valentine's Day, or have talked about it. It seems rare that people go all out on Valentine's Day - seems like most prefer to save the fireworks and $$ for a date that is more meaningful to their relationship.

I dont think V-day is that romantic at all cuz you know you will get something, i think it way more sweet just on a normal day to do something unespected and romantic means a whole lot more. Thats just me tho, V-day doesnt mean that much to me

I'm in a new relationship, meaning this is our first Valentine's day together. I told her I'm sending a vase of flowers, a stuffed animal, balloons, and a card to her house. It's pretty rediculous. She told me she's getting me a necklace but she's having a hard time picking one out and by the time it's ordered it won't get here until after Valentine's day.

We're planning on making dinner together at my house and then having sex. It's pretty basic, actually. I'm actually going to the mall to find her something tomorrow. It will either be a necklace or a book but she already wears a necklace all the time that came from a previous girlfriend and she has a ton of books, so I'm not really sure what I'll get her.

I was one of the people seeking help for ideas of what to get my girlfriend for vday. We've both decided that we're just going to come to my house and watch a few movies. We enjoy going out to eat but we both just want to be together and to us sitting at home watching movies and being able to cuddle and talk is great for us. I want to give her something that means a lot, i could just go with the traditional flowers and candy stuff but i dont know. Im trying to think of something to do that is a little bit more original. I'm not worried about coming on to strong with the corny issue, we've been really serious for about 6 months. If anyone could help, i'd appreciate it!

My boyfriend likes functional presents. For Vday (I already gave him his present when he came to visit) I got him a really cool present but it was definitely on the expensive side. His favorite animal is an elephant, so I found a really cool poster online of elephants and had it framed. The thing that made it so expensive was the shipping, but I'm stranded without a car and thereforeeee without easy access to any place that would frame it for me. He loved it and it's now hanging over his bed with a light shining on it.

Another good present I got him that was less expensive was books on tape. He's not big on reading but spends a lot of time in the car and he had mentioned a paticular author that his brother had books on tape of. So I got him a few of those for Channukah and he said it was the best present he's ever gotten.

I wont be able to see my girlfriend as she has her VET course that day : (

But I'm thinking I'll go to her place while she's not there and her parents are and ask to place a note I'll write and some gourmet chocolates on her bed to come home too.

Here is what I am doing for valentines day.... We are actually going to celebrate it on the day after due to work. First off we are going to go see the movie Music and Lyrics.... After that we will part for a while so I can make a dinner. I ordered 1000 rose petal and will put them on the floor leading in 3 directions- the kitchen,the bathroom, and the bedroom. First we will eat her favorite food which is Chicken Alfredo, I am making her fav drink Pina colada. After we eat I let her choose what she wants to do first take a bath or go to the bedroom and get her gifts. I got her a dooney and burke purse with accessories, a glass rose, and some chocolate strawberrys. After that it will be up to us on what happens... Also my apartment will be lit we candles all over the place.

For Valentines day i'm going to be in school all day and my girlfriend is going to be in work so we are actually celebrating it the day after because the day after also happens to be our six months. Just because im not going to be with her on valentines day i'm having rose's and a teddy bear with a message sent to her work. Then the next day I plan on taking her Ice skating in the Boston common and then to the Olive Garden for dinner because she loves that place haha. By the way I did get her a present a day at the spa at this place called "Bella Sante"

Hey all these ideas do sound really great but just think how much more it would mean on just a normal day.

If you are lucky enough to be with someone you waste money on crao that will soon be forgotten, Or even it might end or start in a fight.

If your single you just see everyone else holding hands having fun well you just look and go home crying for your ex or just stay at home by yourself all day crying

Last year I got her a dozen red roses ... traditional I know. But how I gave them to her was a little different.

I wrote up 12 little poems of the "Roses are red,violets are blue ..." type with each one telling her something I appreciated about her. I hid them in a place relevant to my appreciation.

I started out with the following poem by the first flower:

----------

Roses are red

Violets are blue,

One lovely rose

In a vase, just for you.

But wait, that's not all

Her cousins abound,

Search through the house

There's more to be found.

On this single flower

Attached is a card,

Read through the clue

Then look, it's not hard.

If you get stumped

Turn the card over,

Go to that place

And look for the flower.

Keep following clues

Until you are done,

Then you will realize

Why you are my one.

I love you.

----------

A couple of example clues were: (poem on front of card, clue on back)

----------

Roses are red

Poppies are pink,

Where the dishes all go

After I eat and drink.

For always cleaning the dishes

(under the kitchen sink)

Roses are red

Flowers sway in the breeze,

Before leaving the house

You need to grab these.

For doing all that running around you do to keep the household going

(near keys on the entranceway)

----------

She rather liked it and kept all the cards.

Scratching my head about this year though, I'll have to think of something new!

What are good gifts for:

1. If relationship is

2. Photo of you and sig. other in a picture frame. Small box of chocolates.

3. Something personal that requires intimate knowledge to prove you're listening to him/her.

Ah, I feel horrible after reading some of these Looks like I'm a self-confessed skin-flint.

Ahh, it's not really about the money for most poeple, it really is the thought. Just do something personal and all will be well.

It's different for different people admittedly. I buy flowers because I LIKE to buy flowers. We don't go out and have a romantic meal (something to do with too many kids I think ...!!). The part she likes most and the part she's keeping tucked away is the bits and pieces I wrote.

If nothing else, get a plain piece of cardstock and make up our own card. Even for us adults this works really well.