Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Neither do but it's the first time a cute kid hasn't sent my ovaries fluttering. That, for me, is odd.

It sounds like you had had enough in general of being around people -can't blame you! I am sorry your friend is in this situation but I wish her all the best with her baby!

• Replies 14k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am so sorry for your friend. I hope she is able to relax and get a lot of support from her friends and family.

Her first baby was a little early so they are expecting her second to be as well, especially considering all the stress she's under.

Her family is absolutely amazing and her friend network is huge. Her support system is as wonderful as mine is.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to my second SCA event yesterday. So much fun! A friend of my aunt's went for the first time and it was nice to kind of just 'be' there for her as she experienced it for the first time, because it can be overwhelming to thrust yourself into that situation. I got off work at 6 am and we left for the site at 8:30 (we were only day tripping the event since it was only 40 minutes away). I ended up taking an hour and a half nap in the hall before court. I bought my own mug (you can have modern drinks just not in modern containers... pretty committed to the organization now that I have my own bloody cup!) and a seashell necklace and earring set. It was a gorgeous site, too. Down this hill the archery range was by a river and it was so nice sitting on a bench by it and just watching the water go by. My aunt fell going down the hill and then I almost fell at the bottom - we decided to blame my uncle because we were trying to find him to give him a bloody drink, haha

I went this morning and had a family lunch for mother's day at my grandma's house. Papa has been diagnosed with the early stages of Alzhimer's (sp) but it's already pretty bad. He didn't even know who me and mom were when we came in the house and 30 minutes later he knew who I was but thought L and I were still together but not married yet. I know it's effecting my grandma but she keeps thinking the medication he's on will STOP the memory loss and cure the disease, no matter how many times me, my mom, and my aunt explain there is no cure for it.

In other news....

My aunt and I are going to Nashville in July to see RUSSELL HOWARD!!! Ah!!! I just happened to be scrolling through Facebook the other morning and saw he had dates listed in the US and Nashville was the closest. She has a lot going on around that time and I was like 'look, I'm going no matter what so if I have to pay for your ticket to share the experience with someone who loves him too and help out driving, I'm totally down with that'. We are both so stinkin' excited!! After we got home from the event last night we introduced her friend to him and she and I were quoting his act right along with him - it's sad how many times we've seen them!

Work was so damn horrendous last night. Like, is it really too much to ask my co workers to do THEIR DAMN JOB?! My third shift counterpart texted me just now wanting to know if I wanted to work tonight (I'm off this weekend)... no, B does not, in fact, want to work tonight. Some pseudo friends are coming over I think and there will be wine and archery practice (not at the same time... that's a call to my uncle I DON'T want to make - 'Hey, um, I'm taking auntie back to the ER because we were drunk while playing with the bow and arrows and she took an arrow to the knee').

And I say back to the ER because Sunday night I ended up taking her because the knee she fell on at the event was swollen and inflamed with this like crunchy sensation for her. Six hours we sat in that bloody ER. She kept saying I didn't have to take her and I was like, 'look, you'd do the same for me.' After we got home (at 5 am, we left for the ER at 10:30 the previous night) I gave her some of her pain medication and that mixed with being sleepy and she was HILARIOUS. She's been out of work all week so me, my uncle, and my cousin have been taking care of her.

She and I are so over the moon about this Russell Howard trip. I was budgeting it out yesterday and I asked whose car she wanted to take and she just looked at me and said, "Mine, B. It has AC." Very good point, aunt. With both of our tickets, hotel for the night, and gas the entire trip is going to cost like $200. Nashville is about a 5 to 6 hour drive for us so not too long.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's been a busy few weeks!

I stayed a few days with mom last week because she had a doctor's appointment in Atlanta. She's lost some significant hearing in her right ear (so she's actually not just ignoring us) and they're trying to figure out what's causing it. If they can't fix it through meds they'll do surgery to help her (she is already freaking out about that even though it's a huge maybe).

Tyler is doing so well. He's speaking in longer full sentences and only had one freak out while I was there - oddly enough because I wouldn't sit next to him on the couch. I was subjected to the new Spongebob movie (the kid better know how much I love him). The drive to Atlanta with my mom was.... yeah. I wanted to choke her before we had even hit the interstate. I borrowed my aunt and uncle's tom tom for the trip but do you think my mom listened to it? No. At one point she goes, 'I think I need to turn here.' 'Mom, the GPS says to turn in 1.5 miles'. 'No, I need to turn here.' So we do.... guess who gets lost? *facepalm*

My aunt, cousin, and I went to see Jurassic World on Sunday and it was AMAZING!!! My aunt and I are huge fans of Jurassic Park - legit, we have watched it once or twice a week for the last month. We were more excited than my 11 year old cousin. It was just, ah, everything I wanted in this film. The homage to Jurassic Park just kicked me right in the feels. It was epic. It gave me that same feeling that watching Jurassic Park always does, like I'm a kid again. Because what kid didn't like dinosaurs, right?

We are currently 16 days away from seeing Russell Howard!!! Ah, we are beyond excited. My aunt and I have been quoting one of his routines left and right for a week now.

I am. enjoying life right now with family and friends. We had a huge girls night a few weeks back were a bunch of us sat outside around the fire pit drinking wine. It's just something I never did pre-divorce. It's easy to say with hindsight but getting divorced and having it all go down the way it did, was very freeing. It forced me to remember a lot of basic facts and helped me learn a few things about myself .

We got so drunk that night though. I've never been that drunk. I had a hangover for the first time in my life the next day.

I prefer to use my iPhone too (entering info on the Tom Tom was a nightmare) but since I no longer have unlimited data, that's a no go on long trips.

Glad to hear that. As oddly as it might sound, maybe this was just meant to happen. Perhaps it was a sign for you to take care of yourself and do what you need. Prioritize yourself and your feelings with no one else to stress over. It seems you had to grow up really quickly and didn't get time to just do things most girls get to experience. Everything else will fall into place eventually. Hope things continue to go well for you.

That's what I'm really taking out of it. This experience has been so vastly different to my last break up - I can remember breaking up with M and two weeks later just NEEDING to be a in relationship. It's been almost 10 months now and I'm perfectly content without a relationship. Healing was so different too. I remember counting up to like 40 days of NC with M and them being horrible. I stopped counting at the end of October this time. I have to count backwards whenever someone asks me when was the last time I talked to him. It just wasn't at the forefront of my mind this time around and I think that was mostly down to already being an ENA member and knowing the healing steps.

I had my last therapy session today. Therapist and I both feel like I've gotten all I'm going to get from it this round (I'm not a constant therapy person, I go to it when I need it which has been years at times or months like now). I know the areas that will more than likely hang me up whenever the next relationship blossoms and I've self reflected as much as I can on what happened. During my first session she asked me did I feel like I needed to contact him to give me closure and the answer was yes. I just couldn't wrap my mind around everything that happened. It was the last question she asked me today in our final session and the answer was a resounding no. I know what happened and there's nothing he could ever say to me that would change my opinion on the situation or him.

She bought up the possibility of reestablishing a friendship in the future and that was another resounding no. One major positive that came out of my divorce is I'm no longer a people pleaser. It isn't about what other people think about me anymore, it's about how I look at myself and I no longer need nor want any type of friendship with a person who could disrespect me on so many levels. It's sad because at one time he was my best friend and knew me better than anyone else but that's life. The decisions we make have consequences.

On a lighter note, it's only 8 more days until my aunt and I go to Nashville to see Russell Howard!!! We're also planning a family trip to Carowinds before school starts back for my cousin. It's closer than Six Flags (only a 2 hour drive for us versus 4 or 5). I also plan on visiting an online friend in Boston at some point whenever a film comes out that we both have a mutual interest in comes out which could be this year or next.

Yeah, you sound like you are doing great!!! I'm so happy for you.

She bought up the possibility of reestablishing a friendship in the future and that was another resounding no. One major positive that came out of my divorce is I'm no longer a people pleaser. It isn't about what other people think about me anymore, it's about how I look at myself and I no longer need nor want any type of friendship with a person who could disrespect me on so many levels. It's sad because at one time he was my best friend and knew me better than anyone else but that's life. The decisions we make have consequences.

I agree with you - I see no point in trying to maintain a friendship. Maybe if you had kids or a joint business, sure. But really, he has his life now, you have yours. If you're going to invest in a friendship, you're better off finding a random person to befriend off the street than your ex husband.

Thanks ladies.

I probably would have one day been receptacle to one if I hadn't been treated the way I was during the divorce. People fall out of love every day, it happens. It doesn't mean you have to be a douche about it.

I slept all freaking day. Small flare up of hives - not too bad, Claritin was able to maintain them but it was more than enough swelling to give me that fatigue feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been slammed with work since we got back but can I just say - RUSSELL HOWARD!!!

The trip up to Nashville was... yeah. We hit three nasty storms (and when I say nasty I mean really bad with lightening and rain so hard you couldn't even seen the car in front of you). We also hit traffic a bunch of times (only once due to an actual wreck). At one point we seriously thought we were going to be late arriving and then the universe gave us Central Time Zone. Neither of us knew Nashville was in another time zone (you should have seen my uncle roll his eyes when we told him that upon our return home). So we gained an hour (yay!!). We checked into the hotel (not bad for what we paid, not in a bad section of the city either) and got dressed. Make-up, hair - the works. We called a cab but it ended up not arriving in time (even though we called an HOUR ahead of time to schedule it) so we ended up driving to the comedy club. No big deal, it was only about 7 miles away from the hotel.

We park at the club and the heavens open. We get drenched making our way accross the street to the club. And I mean drenched. We looked like drowned rats. The two opening acts were okay (I was stuffing my face with cheese sticks and knocking back wine so I really wasn't paying attention). And then Russell Howard came on and I'm pretty sure my aunt tried to break my hand she was so excited. You always worry when you see someone you like on TV that they aren't going to be the same but he was absolutely still grabbing-my-side funny. He did a little bit from all his past routines and some new stuff from a stand up show he has going on and even though I've heard it a million times, I was still laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes. He called my aunt's laugh a 'wookie laugh' which just set her off laughing even more.

He does this thing were you say something non-sexual but it COULD be taken as sexual and someone will say 'merh' afterward (like 'I can't fit it in the hole' - 'merh'). We've adopted it into our own family and I was so excited that he did that part. My aunt and I shouted 'merh!' as soon as he started explaining it and he pointed at us and was like, 'Exactly! These ladies know what I'm talking about!' After he finished we asked our waitress if he was going to do any pictures or anything like that and she said she would see. Couple of minutes later she comes back to us and said it would depend on how many people were left. So we were just stood in the middle of the comedy club chit chatting when the back door opened and out stepped Russell freakin' Howard. He came right up to us and was like, 'Would you like a picture?'

Aaannnnnddddd this is the point were OG learned she can't meet anyone famous because she just completely becomes an awkward git. I held out my hand and not in a 'cool, I'm calm' sort of way but a 'HI, I'M REALLY AWKWARD' way (my aunt giggled about it the whole car ride home). He hugged us - he's so FIRM! - and took a picture with us. He signed out shirts and he was really just so sweet and the nicest guy. Afterward we went and had a late dinner at a Waffle House (after Gretel, the GPS tried to take us into some shady parts of Nashville, naturally). We both almost passed out immediately once we got back to the hotel room. We left the next day (note to self, go up the day BEFORE the show next time) and while driving through Atlanta got lost (literally all 3 GPSs - the Tom Tom and both our phones - stopped working) and another hellish storm came out of no were. Oh, and every traffic light in Atlanta was OUT. So we pull off onto this street and we look over and there's the Georgia Aquarium. We look at each other like - why not?!

Note to self again - do NOT go to the aquarium the Friday before a holiday. I wanted to punch people in the face so badly. It was a mad house. But we had fun! It was a very successful girl's trip and we are def. going again if he comes to Nashville!

• 1 month later...
Congrats on your new job!!! Hope the rest of your life is going well too.

great news!!!!!!

Thanks ladies!

Renny - the rest of life is looking good!

I started at the new job on Thursday for half a day and then I had a full day yesterday (Friday). It's Tues-Friday from like 8-6 with a 2 hour lunch break. Lots more than I made even as a receptionist at the hospital. It's nice and fast paced, perfect for multi-tasking loving self, haha

• 1 month later...

Archived