Ex reaching out nearly 2 years after

It sounds in her state of chronic depression, drama etc she is easy pickings. However that is not good for you or for her. You claim she is 'emotion dumping" but yet you seem to be getting a lot out of feeling needed by her.

I don't feel needed by her at all, and I don't think that if she felt like she needed me she would be talking about other guys she's seeing etc.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't feel needed by her at all, and I don't think that if she felt like she needed me she would be talking about other guys she's seeing etc.

That is a total mind*ck on her part. I really don't get why you are allowing her to do this to you. She does not give a damn about your feelings.

That is a total mind*ck on her part. I really don't get why you are allowing her to do this to you. She does not give a damn about your feelings.

I kinda just wanted to act like it didn't bother me at all, and felt like anything else would look like I cared what she was doing.

Honestly though, I can't rationalise her intent. I get the whole 'male girlfriend' thing but she also throws plenty in there which makes me think that's not the case. Asking to go on this trip which would mean staying together for multiple nights etc is one of those things.

"We'd been dating for like 2 years (at Uni) and had our issues, for example I had a higher sex drive, we didn't share too many interests, life goals etc .. but the biggest issue was her depression, which now and again reared its head in a really bad way and she would have major doubts about our relationship during that. Whilst she was staying at mine over the summer this happened again and she left, but she has had these doubts in the past and we've reconciled so I'm wondering if this is something she will regret down the line and try and reach out?

I know logically we had a lot of issues, the depression etc kept her in bed so often."

What is there about this dynamic that you want to return to? It sounds very unhealthy.

She's being a jerk and treating you like a doormat, OP.

You desperately need to find your backbone and realize she's not coming back for the reasons you hope. You will never move on if you don't close the door on this screwball.

I agree! She is using you, and you are being a "doormat."

"We'd been dating for like 2 years (at Uni) and had our issues, for example I had a higher sex drive, we didn't share too many interests, life goals etc .. but the biggest issue was her depression, which now and again reared its head in a really bad way and she would have major doubts about our relationship during that. Whilst she was staying at mine over the summer this happened again and she left, but she has had these doubts in the past and we've reconciled so I'm wondering if this is something she will regret down the line and try and reach out?

I know logically we had a lot of issues, the depression etc kept her in bed so often."

What is there about this dynamic that you want to return to? It sounds very unhealthy.

I don't really want to return to it, but there's still feelings there and I can't really rationalise it in any way. I'm not really sure how talking to her makes me feel.

I'm not really sure how talking to her makes me feel.

I'll take a stab in the dark, if you'll indulge me.

Talking to her makes you feel like you "matter." Yeah, it makes you feel all sorts of other things, none of them great, but it does give you that. And there is not a human being on earth who does not want to "matter" to other people, and even the most mature and enlightened among us would like to know that we "mattered" to exes.

So when she circles back to you, drops a spicy and wounded avalanche of TMI on you—well, it answers that eternal question: Yeah, you "matter" to her. She's getting the same thing, of course. She's bummed about no longer "mattering" to one dude, about maybe "mattering" to some Tinder dude, and so she turns to you, the tried and true dude who has shown a higher than average threshold for eating dirt, for a little reinforcement, a little hit of "mattering" to someone.

Were I to give you both advice it would be the same: there are much, much, much better ways to feel like you "matter" than this. Alas, I have only your eyes and ears at the moment, so to you I say, or ask: Is this what you want to do with your life to feel like you matter? Is having some sway over her that important? Is this where you want to be investing your emotional currency at the dawn of adulthood?

No need to answer those questions right away, but I would reflect on them.

I'll take a stab in the dark, if you'll indulge me.

Talking to her makes you feel like you "matter." Yeah, it makes you feel all sorts of other things, none of them great, but it does give you that. And there is not a human being on earth who does not want to "matter" to other people, and even the most mature and enlightened among us would like to know that we "mattered" to exes.

So when she circles back to you, drops a spicy and wounded avalanche of TMI on you—well, it answers that eternal question: Yeah, you "matter" to her. She's getting the same thing, of course. She's bummed about no longer "mattering" to one dude, about maybe "mattering" to some Tinder dude, and so she turns to you, the tried and true dude who has shown a higher than average threshold for eating dirt, for a little reinforcement, a little hit of "mattering" to someone.

Were I to give you both advice it would be the same: there are much, much, much better ways to feel like you "matter" than this. Alas, I have only your eyes and ears at the moment, so to you I say, or ask: Is this what you want to do with your life to feel like you matter? Is having some sway over her that important? Is this where you want to be investing your emotional currency at the dawn of adulthood? No wish to answer those questions, but I would reflect on them.

I think you're probably pretty accurate with that. It doesn't help that I have very little on atm (waiting on a new job which starts all the way in May) so I'm kinda unhealthily focusing on this whereas if it had happened a month or so ago I would've been able to focus more on other things. I had a similar situation when we originally broke up and I didn't have much on, and then improved massively when I had a lot more going on in my life. I can kinda get very obsessive over something if I'm just sat around twiddling my thumbs and I think thats probably the case here.

Is it possible, since she's between guys, that you could get lucky?

Sure, we'd be staying in the same accommodation etc and it could happen, but it's not something I'd really want to happen.

I know 100% it wouldn't lead to anything remotely long term and would just re-open old wounds to an even worse extent.

Listen, dude, re-read what other posters have written. Don't be her doormat, don't make excuses why you feel bad blocking her, etc. Just stop...breathe, and BLOCK HER!! NOW!!! Do not put yourself in a position to be disrespected. End of story. I don't mean to be harsh, but end things with this woman. You seem like a nice person so get some self-respect, and move on. You deserve better, and you know it!

OK your name seemed familiar so I looked back on your posts and you are the guy with the bloody blazer issue. Definitely 10000000% give her no time of day.

Why isn't she blocked anyway? Who cares what the mutual friends think. They know how badly she acted. If they are true friends on any level they will know you did nothing wrong!

Are you secretly hoping to work things out!?

OK your name seemed familiar so I looked back on your posts and you are the guy with the bloody blazer issue. Definitely 10000000% give her no time of day.

Why isn't she blocked anyway? Who cares what the mutual friends think. They know how badly she acted. If they are true friends on any level they will know you did nothing wrong!

Are you secretly hoping to work things out!?

Hahaha I love that I'm remembered as blazer guy!

And maybe some stupid sub-conscious part of me does, but it's basically impossible. In a few months I'm moving faaar away for work reasons and regardless I know we did that and it completely failed, would be ridiculous to try it again.

Common. People return to contact the most recent person that showed them attention prior to their now-ex. It eases their loneliness, offers them comfort, it’s a familiar place for them. They continue contact until they find a new partner.

That wouldn't be me. As far as I know she'd had 3 boyfriends since we broke up.

(although in fairness, I could be the only one who gives her the time of day..)

3 boyfriends while you were apart? Where does she find the energy with that crippling depression she's got.

I think she uses it as a distraction from the depression/life but quickly gets bored and recycles, although this last one apparently left her.

update: I've now blocked her, the last straw was (after I ignored one of her messages) her saying 'I know you don't like this guy (a dude who tried to kiss her while we were together) but he gets my mental health issues and I really need a hug so that's why I'm meeting him'.

Couldn't really believe what I was reading and it made me a bit sick. She absolutely knew I'd hate seeing that as I despise the guy.

Archived