Is bringing alcohol to a New Years date/party trashy?..

xcookie7x

Been talking to a guy who seems to genuinely like me. Invited me to be with him for New Years, unsure what we're doing yet. I recently got a $70 bottle of tequila as a Xmas present. My Mom is lecturing me telling me if I bring it I'll look trashy. I have no idea why to be honest.. I thought it would be a nice gesture to bring some expensive alcohol for a New Years hang out/ party.. I haven't met this guy yet (don't think that matters but felt I should say so)..I'm 25 by the way and he is 28. I feel like there's nothing wrong with bringing alcohol and I almost feel like it's more polite then showing up with nothing at all... like I said though unsure exactly what we're doing yet. He is picking me up though.

I think you bringing tequila to a party where you've never met the host or the guy you're going with is trashy. Bring a nice bottle of red or white wine and be done with it. Keep the tequila for yourself to drink with good friends when you have them over to your house. The bottle was a give to YOU afterall. You don't want to get tequila trashed on a date with a guy you've yet to meet and you don't even know his friends that will be there... And, before you say that you don't plan on getting trashed, think again. Unexpected things happen when you're getting down with Jose Cuervero.

I think either - a bottle of wine or tequila would be fine. I don't think anyone will be opposed to you bringing alcohol lol.

Op should be looking out for her reputation and her physical safety when going out with a man she's never met to a home of HIS friends that she doesn't even know. Tequila is not conducive to keeping a sober head about her. Her parents are right but it's not so much about looking "trashy" but more about looking responsible and (dare I say it) someone he would be glad to take home to meet his mother.

IMO: Tequila is better suited to be shared with good friends where you know they have your back if things get crazy. :D

Depends on the type of party.

With my friends it would be totally fine! But I can see how it can come off trashy. As others say, wine is better but I say champagne is the best bet.

To be safe, save the tequila for another party with him and his friends or for yourself and your friends.

First impressions are everything

First off, you said you don't know what you're doing yet, what makes you assume he is taking you to a party?

Second, I'm a very generous person, maybe too much even, but this is a first "meet" and he's picking you up at your home on New Years Eve??

How well do you know him; at first blush this is not the best idea.

In any event, I don't think you need to bring a gift at alll. Why?

He is picking you up and again, this is first meet and you don't know what you're doing.

If you knew you were going to a party, I might suggest bringing wine, but who the hell knows what he's planning.

Let's hope he plans to take you out and not just spend the night at your home.

Guys did I miss something? She said she is uncertain as to what they're doing.

Why is she and everyone presuming he's taking her to a party?

Maybe he is going to take her to dinner, should she bring a gift then?

Do folks normally bring gifts to a first "meet"?

I wouldn't.

Again, if she knew for sure he was taking her to a party, then wine is fine for the host.

But she's not she has no idea what they're doing.

I was just asking hypothetically assuming it's a party either with friends or his family. If he tells me he is taking me out some place I wouldn't have a need to bring it. It's more of a "thank you" invite- like I feel like showing up to a New Years party at a house with nothing is kind of weird. I just thought of it as a nice gesture. But yes, wine is probably good. I guess I was just thinking most guys dislike wine haha. But good ideas thanks everyone.

I was just asking hypothetically assuming it's a party either with friends or his family. If he tells me he is taking me out some place I wouldn't have a need to bring it. It's more of a "thank you" invite- like I feel like showing up to a New Years party at a house with nothing is kind of weird. I just thought of it as a nice gesture. But yes, wine is probably good. I guess I was just thinking most guys dislike wine haha. But good ideas thanks everyone.

Yes it IS a nice gesture if in fact he is taking you to a party.

Assuming that's the case, you are not bringing the wine for "him," so don't worry about if he likes it.

You would be bringing it for the host of the party.

Be careful and have fun!

I thought it would be a nice gesture to bring some expensive alcohol for a New Years hang out/ party..
That implies that they have had some type of conversation about going to such a thing. Why would anyone assume that it would be a "nice gesture" to bring the tequila to such a thing if it hadn't been discussed in some capacity?

Not sure why anyone would even think about bringing tequila to a restaurant so why ask the question she asks at all if that is what was touched on?

Bottom line: If its to a party, bring a bottle of wine and drink responsibly so that you're not taking a chance on giving a first date the wrong impression. If its anything other then a party/hang out, bring nothing.

Adding: I see I was typing as the Op was posting and saying pretty much the same thing.

Cheers... have a good time, Op. Let us know how it goes on your first date and what it is you ended up doing. :D

OP just curious but how long have you been talking to him?

Just me but I would NOT be meeting a man for the 'first' time on NYE.

And I wouldn't be having him pick me up at my home either.

What does your mom think about that?

Is there any particular reason why you couldn't meet prior, for a 30 minute coffee or even just a walk, just to see if you click 'in person' before committing to spending several hours with a stranger (and his friends) on NYE?

Agree with whoever said, curb the drinking!

Stay safe!

You could make margaritas and other cocktails with tequila. Who says it's just shots?
no one but if she's going to expect margaritas she better bring the stuff it takes to make them along with the tequila (it's just getting too complicated).

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I'm used to going to wild NYE parties.
With someone you've never met and you don't know his friends?

Been talking to a guy who seems to genuinely like me. Invited me to be with him for New Years, unsure what we're doing yet. I recently got a $70 bottle of tequila as a Xmas present. My Mom is lecturing me telling me if I bring it I'll look trashy. I have no idea why to be honest.. I thought it would be a nice gesture to bring some expensive alcohol for a New Years hang out/ party.. I haven't met this guy yet (don't think that matters but felt I should say so)..I'm 25 by the way and he is 28. I feel like there's nothing wrong with bringing alcohol and I almost feel like it's more polite then showing up with nothing at all... like I said though unsure exactly what we're doing yet. He is picking me up though.

Since you don't know the guy, and you don't know what the plan is, I don't think it's a good idea to bring your $70 bottle of tequila. Be smart. You should have your wits about you when you're with unfamiliar people--especially when plans are unknown and he's doing the driving. And save your $70 bottle for something more special--like a six month anniversary. If you must bring alcohol, bring wine or beer--something that won't knock you off your ass if you drink 8oz.

Op should be looking out for her reputation and her physical safety when going out with a man she's never met to a home of HIS friends that she doesn't even know. Tequila is not conducive to keeping a sober head about her. Her parents are right but it's not so much about looking "trashy" but more about looking responsible and (dare I say it) someone he would be glad to take home to meet his mother.

IMO: Tequila is better suited to be shared with good friends where you know they have your back if things get crazy. :D

I agree with this!

Tequila gets a bad rap because of that ***hole Jose Cuervo. But compare a $70 mezcal / tequila to a $70 scotch and it's night and day between which is a 100% smooth experience and which needs another $70 before it's sippable.

But I admit I didn't read through the rest of the thread. If there are other implications, I defer to other thoughtful residents here.

no one but if she's going to expect margaritas she better bring the stuff it takes to make them along with the tequila (it's just getting too complicated).

With someone you've never met and you don't know his friends?

... I was not aware someone would be so judging if a person is bringing free alcohol to a party?

... I was not aware someone would be so judging if a person is bringing free alcohol to a party?

Lolzzz ~ Where do you get "judging" out of that. You stated that you don't have to shoot tequila you can make Margaritas. If you're going to make margaritas then you have to have the stuff to make it with and can't expect your guests to supply it if they don't even know that you're bringing tequila. That's common sense, certainly not 'judgey"

Archived