Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

The Random Thought Thread, Part 6

TechResQ

On 11/30/2023 at 12:35 AM, Wiseman2 said:

Is there an epidemic of quack therapists? Or why is it that "my therapist thinks...(fill in ex's personality disorder)" is so popular?

I was in a open Therapists conference/seminar last year, I'm just curious rather than in the field; and there was a little more quackery than in the past few years. Though the real thing in one seminar that struck me, was the speaker advising use more open language when it came to patients' interpretation. Makes me think it's a mix of new therapists trying this without good clinical guidance and patients just using youtube quacks. lol

• Haha 1

Random life moment, a lady I chatted with in a little Belgian cafe and spent a day at a museum with about 4 years ago and I have stumbled into each other again. We apparently know the same people! The friends figured it out and have been trying to get us to visit each other again. Hahaha weird world.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, itsallgrand said:

Merry Christmas 🎅 🎄 

I woke up and it was snowing. Almost was looking like a green Christmas. Put a smile on my face to see the winter wonderland for Christmas time! 

That sounds amazing!  I am having a tan Christmas. Haha

• 4 weeks later...

The long pointy nails some people wear give me the willies, I'm sorry! It makes me uncomfortable seeing them claw around with those things. It's your body and you do what you want of course. But no I don't want you near my face with them. Neurotic or reasonable? Lol. I asked for another technician to give me the facial treatment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, itsallgrand said:

The long pointy nails some people wear give me the willies, 

Same.  I don't know anyone who sports them but they are pretty prolific on reality TV shows.  It pains me to envision how they can do things like apply false eyelashes or scratch their butt.  Surely would not want them anywhere near any of my body parts.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, itsallgrand said:

I did not even think of that!

And now I bet you and I can’t unthink it.  I have a diamond engagement ring. Diamond is not huge. Or minuscule. Medium. Beautiful. When I had a postpartum doula for a few days and she was doing some breastfeeding assistance while I unsuccessfully attempted she told me to remove my engagement ring. I NEVER take it off except for when I gave birth and oral surgery or like procedures - where you’re out - they often require. She was clearly upset with me like how dare I have my hand near my baby with my ring that could heaven forbid scratch his skin. (My nails are woefully short so it wasn’t that ). When I declined she had the most judgey look - her claws were out so to speak. (She finished out her 20 hours we’d prepaid for then I got very sick and we didn’t renew her services ). 

• Like 1

My friend is an overly chatty person, like she really needs to talk. She usually has something to gab about. Reality is, I sense that long silences seem awkward/uncomfortable to her thus she feels the need to express herself continuously.

Whereas I love some quiet every now and then. I find that enjoying each other's company in silence sometimes is very beautiful.

She's got ADHD so I must learn to cope with who she is.

I suppose it's always been this way but more and more I come across people who talk at you, not with you.

I'd like to think I'm a good listener, but if you ramble on endlessly, interrupt me when I might say something or don't listen at all, I am beyond annoyed.  I think it's incredibly selfish.  It's my latest pet peeve.  

For the people who do this and I either pass on invites or find a way to walk away midsentence. It might not be polite but doing that endless word vomit thing is rude to your audience.

• Like 1

I couldn't walk away because she was my brother's fiancee at the time and I was renting a room from my brother. Fortunately I moved out soon after she started spending a lot of time at the house.

She never asked questions or wanted any input. If you tried to respond to anything she said she would just talk over you.

I was sorry about the divorce because it broke my brother's heart but for many reasons I sure don't miss her. 

• Like 1

My bf's mom does this.  I noticed everyone else in the room has their head down so not to be in her sights, so she singles me out.  Her delivery is loud and abrasive.

One night eating dinner at my bfs house. . that and the 2 hours prior had taxed me.  Bf, his son and father all have their eyes down and she is on a roll.  I figured out what was going on and how these men deal with her.  Or try not to.

I was done with my plate and the rest were too, but they might have still had their forks in their hands.  I abruptly circled the table, cleared the plates from all of them.  I placed them on the counter, got my coat and said good night.

• Like 1

I think, often, people don’t mind someone who is an over talker, if they have something beyond interesting to say, are hilarious, great at spinning a story, or witty and charismatic.

If the person monologuing is a tedious bore, everyone is looking for the escape exit! 

Also, if people are endlessly negative and it’s coming out in a massive stream of consciousness with no humour, twist or curious point at the end - people don’t have time for it. Everyone is preoccupied with their own problems, they don’t have the stomach to hear everyone else’s for hours on end! 

x

• 3 weeks later...