Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

I know it's crap but it's an unfortunate truth, if you close the doors to the liquor stores, you cause more problems. Alcoholics withdrawing is a serious thing.

Not only will some of them end up in hospital but others will become desperate and could start breaking into peoples homes looking for booze.

Sad but true.

Then you also have the ones who are using alcohol to get through the stress of all of this. Take that away and they will become bad off where they are panicking, paranoid, out of control.

You don't want any of those things to happen, so for the greater good, leave the alcohol stores open.

I personally don't drink, not even a tiny bit. But I am very familiar with the social aspect and nursing aspect of both. It truly will only add to problems to close them.

I would think that is compounding the issue. But, that's JMO...

I think it’s actually safer to probably leave the liquor stores open. They can’t have people showing up at hospitals with the DDT’s and everything else. I recovered from an opioid addiction on my own many years ago without medical help and it was unbelievable and unbearable laying on the floor vomiting and vomiting and shaking and burning and freezing and itching. They don’t need people like that at the hospital.

You have to take the good with the bad right now. No one wants anyone that addicted to a substance, that these kinds of issues come up, but right now it's not the time to be creating more traffic and problems in the hospital and for the police.

I'm not a fan of alcohol, but you're right Seraphim, as sad as it is, it's the better choice to just leave them open.

Honestly, I'm all for liquor stores being essential. Alcoholics who stop drinking on their own can die and many do. They get terrible Seizures and usually require ICU care. I've taken care of these folks - it's terrible. Close liquor stores and you're just going have a bunch do seizing people who need ICU beds and possibly ventilators.

We can't have that a time when both of these things are in short supply. There's plenty of time after this mess to quit alcohol safely but now is not the time.

I feel terribly for the liquor store employees here though. They are just trying to make their meager living, and their safety keeps being put at risk.

We've had a massive issue with organized robberies here for some time. They've had to stand by watching while being robbed every day, and people have been hurt. They only started half taking that seriously and implementing half decent measures, now this.

There's delivery service available from the stores and the breweries. I know, the down and out aren't using that and many are homeless. They scrounge for their king cans or bottles for the day, and are there every day. And those are the ones that would end up in hospitals.

But when this settles, I hope my city starts to take much harsher measures to keep the public and employees safe.

We are going to have to push hard for it.

Governments do not want people crossing state lines because unfortunately each state is managing with their own rules and recommendations. For example if they closed stores in X state the drinkers would simply drive to Y and back spreading the virus further. They really don't care about people going into DTs they don't want the the travel and traffic. Travel had a great deal to do with it's spread. .

I'm trying to understand why liquor stores are remaining open and considered an essential business.

I feel bad for those workers too, itsallgrand. Yes, I'm working too but as a healthcare worker, I get access to PPE. Retail workers don't, even if some sneezing, sick a-hole comes in. Plus, they make small wages and usually don't have good benefits, if any at all. You know if I get sick due to COVID, either confirmed positive or suspected, I get FULL pay to sit at home and it doesn't come out of my vacation or PTO banks. What do retail workers get? Nothing or next to nothing. It's not fair.

I feel bad for those workers too, itsallgrand. Yes, I'm working too but as a healthcare worker, I get access to PPE. Retail workers don't, even if some sneezing, sick a-hole comes in. Plus, they make small wages and usually don't have good benefits, if any at all. You know if I get sick due to COVID, either confirmed positive or suspected, I get FULL pay to sit at home and it doesn't come out of my vacation or PTO banks. What do retail workers get? Nothing or next to nothing. It's not fair.

That's not true with respect to a fancier grocery store I go to -I believe they will pay if the person unfortunately gets covid-19.

That's not true with respect to a fancier grocery store I go to -I believe they will pay if the person unfortunately gets covid-19.

Thank goodness! Actually, that's true of the grocery store (local chain) that I go to. They have good benefits and the like. I have a couple local friends who work there and everyone has been wearing masks too. Other places, well, not so much I'm afraid. I feel bad for people who have to work outside the home for not very good wages. I'm well compensated for what I do but people working the coffee counter for $10/hr with a-holes coming in going *coughcoughhackhack*? Oh man.

Thank goodness! Actually, that's true of the grocery store (local chain) that I go to. They have good benefits and the like. I have a couple local friends who work there and everyone has been wearing masks too. Other places, well, not so much I'm afraid. I feel bad for people who have to work outside the home for not very good wages. I'm well compensated for what I do but people working the coffee counter for $10/hr with a-holes coming in going *coughcoughhackhack*? Oh man.

Yes I agree- my sister had an in person job she had to quit -can't be done online -and she's reluctant to work at a store because of exposure.

I just got back from Target. No employees were wearing masks. I even saw one of them fist bumping some customers. I presume those guys are his friends, but still? Then he went back to stocking shelves. After fist bumping a couple of dudes. Oh, and no gloves either.

I'm going to the store looking like a ninja. I made a face covering by cutting up a poly-cotton scarf and a draw string from a hooded sweatshirt jacket. It's not exactly sterile or health care worker quality but I figured it's better than nothing. So I'm in the store with my homemade face covering and my hood pulled up, wearing food worker latex gloves. I'm sure it was a sight.

Then I get home and put the freezer stuff on my "quarantine" shelf to sit there for 3 days, and wiped everything else down with spray cleaner.

Grocery shopping is both stressful and tedious. I'll never look at it the same again. I used to come home and just put everything away!

Anyone else losing weight? I have zero appetite and no desire to do anything productive. I'm down about 8 pounds so far.

I'm having trouble getting motivated to get in the shower and get dressed.

I have done nothing productive during this down time. I haven't worked out or learned a new language or completed a craft project.

I've been seeing this kicking around online. Yeah this is down time but it's not normal down time.[ATTACH=CONFIG]11630[/ATTACH]

I think the pressure to be productive is ridiculous. It's one thing if we were locked inside without an actual deadly pandemic going on. I can't concentrate with a lot of this crap and I know other people are the same. Need to be kind and patient with ourselves. This is no time to be shaming others or ourselves for not being super productive right now.

I work full time (3 days a week, baby!) and I do school part-time online. That's IT - I am placing NO OTHER expectations on myself. As long as I meet my work and school requirements, make food for myself to eat, feed my cat, clean my body/clothes, and manage to pay my bills - I'm fine.

I drink alcohol a few times a week now (I usually only drink 1x a week or less often), I do adult coloring, and I am starting to work on calligraphy again just as an anxiety-reducer.

Anyone have any disinfectant wipes left? Just curious as all the stores near me are completely out.

No wipes. I just use spray. Today I bought some reusable Handi-wipes. They can be washed and reused. Once I get my bottle of aloe vera gel delivered I will make my own hand sanitizer. Luckily I had a bottle of 90% isopropyl alcohol to blend with the aloe. I bought travel size bottles so I can have some in my car.

I've found the wipes are plentiful where you'd least expect them. The weird gas station I typically avoid and the strip mall liquor store, to name a few. There's a vape shop near my house—now closed, per the laws—but prior to that they were doing something pretty awesome: door open, but entrance blocked by a makeshift counter that was filled with...wipes, sanitizer, not marked up. I'm sure they were still doing sales of e-cigs, but it was pretty sweet while it lasted when it came to getting the sanitizing goods.

Anyone have any disinfectant wipes left? Just curious as all the stores near me are completely out.

I can't find any to buy but I have a number of packs left. I haven't bought any in months - I always have them. Today I found some sanitizer to buy.

So I was really encouraged by an experience I had today. There was yet another patronizing, condescending post on one of my Facebook mom groups about how we all need to stop complaining and get perspective -that yes our kids are missing 5th grade graduation (my kid), proms, trips, etc but you know so many parents have far more pressing problems etc etc.

I have to tell you -I have heard no one complain about "first world problems" in the presence of someone who is truly suffering or heaven forbid sick or with a sick partner or parent, etc. And yes I think we all should count our blessings and---- like this thread says -give emotional support to everyone - whether or not someone thinks their issues are "first world". Of course we should all be sensitive but no I'm not going to dismiss my child's sadness over missing graduation, his friends, the parties, the overnight trip, our spring break trip. I have him count his blessings nightly -nothing to do with this virus. So do I - and I have done so for years prior to this pandemic. But I think we can both validate and support each other AND have a perspective of "it could be worse"

I was so encouraged because I rarely write much like this on my moms group but I did. And got so much support - and again for the most part my friends and family and acquaintances have been very thoughtful and compassionate and supportive and not "whiny" at all - my friend and I had a call yesterday partly to release some anxiety and we ran the gamut -from the challenges of online learning, so spouses working from home, to shortages of supplies and concerns about elderly family members and some talk about whether to wear masks and when. I met her many years ago through a message board. The first time we met was at her wedding 15 years ago! She invited me and I went!

Anyway I really couldn't believe that others in my moms group also found it thoughtless to dismiss those who might be grieving the losses that come with being quarrantined. I will continue to validate my child and remind him to count his blessings. Just maybe not at the same time so that he feels supported. He wants a party when this is over with soda (which he never gets to have really) and video games and candy and his best buds. He deserves it. You all do!