What is happening here?

Cuddles

I've been dating a guy for a few months now. I like him alot and everything is going well. One day as he was showing me the text I sent and to my surprise, I noticed that he put me as another girl's name. He said he did that cos many other girls with same name and this is to avoid calling or messaging wrongly. I find this is so weird as I've never encountered such situation before.

What is happening here?

Well, if your name is Susan, did he list you as Claire? How far away from our name did he get?

Sure, I find it strange that he has so many other girls on his phone. And you obviously find it odd too.

I think you should be careful he's not seeing other girls on the side.

Are you exclusive? It sounds like he's juggling a lot of girls at the moment if he gets this confused. Does he have a gf he's on/off with? Perhaps you are the new "coworker"?

I've been dating a guy for a few months now. I noticed that he put me as another girl's name. He said he did that cos many other girls with same name and this is to avoid calling or messaging wrongly.

His explanation is confusing!

As you would not use a completely different name for someone if you have more than one person with that name.

Wouldn't you save the name with their surname?

We don't know everyone's surname I get that but could use an emoji for a person to distinguish two people. I have two Alex's in my phonebook. One if which I've saved their surame to distinguish between the two.

So to use a completely different name is a red flag. He is obviously hiding you from someone. Whether it be another girl or who knows.

It doesn't sound good to me.

This is making me confused too.

He said there are many people (friends, Co worker, etc) with the same name as me Susan

Hence he listed me as Claire and didn't change it since. He said this is to avoid calling messaging the wrong person with the same name.

I won't go simply change a person's name even its common name in my contact list. How can I recall a person name who listed as another name? I find this odd.

And yes we're exclusive

Why can't he put Sue or Susie or SusanC, Sue-work, etc. It's too weird. Do you believe him?

Agree! There was so many options other than Claire!

I get there fear of accidentally messaging someone else that may be a work collegue. But how often is he messaging work colleagues! The only Susan he should have at the top of his chat list either on WhatsApp or any other contact method should be you!

So there should be no confusion now after a few months of exclusivity.

1. Yes this is weird. There are ways to differentiate besides changing your name (like others said, nickname, first/last name or last initials, etc.) So to me it means he has some interest or some goings-on with another Susan.

2. You say "yes you are exclusive" but this leads me to believe you are NOT exclusive - just that he is saying/acting like you are when he's WITH YOU. but that in fact he is not (otherwise, why would he need to make sure he's not texting the wrong thing to the wrong person?) If the other Susan's are "just friends" with nothing going on - they would easily understand the mistaken texts and it not be a thing...

suspicious completely.

doesn't make sense.

i don't think he's being loyal to you.

I have similar issues with people I have stored on my contacts, humanitarian aid and have same name foe so time 3 people and I have to type differently with a suffix or prefix,

but in his case it might be he’s married and doesn’t want his wife to know or has other friend girls checking his stuff and wants to keep your name more private.

I guess it makes mild sense if he wants to be able to input your contact and have it autofill without filtering through all the "Susans," particularly if he ever wants to be able to send you a racy or sensitive text as risk-free as possible.

I mean, what's the alternative? He's got a wife or girlfriend who would be cool with him texting other women so long as their name isn't Susan? It's not the system that would be intuitive to me, but it does simply sound like what came to his mind, seemed benign to him, and thus he went with it.

Another question -- why was he showing you the text you sent him?

What reason would he have for doing this?

Me thinks he wanted you to see that he saved it under another woman's name?? Why else would he show you, it was your own text!

Sounds like a mind f***, how is everything else going in your relationship?

Sounds very shady to me also. I used to live in a development with 15 one family houses and there were and there were 5 ladies named Jennifer. So, I get the part where your name may be popular but why couldn't he use your surname or the initial of your surname??? I'd be careful if I were you - it sounds very suspicious.

Why wouldn't he add your last name?

^I’m wondering why he didn’t do this as well. It seems like a more simple and basic way to distinguish one person from another when calling/messaging.

How did you respond when he gave you this explanation?

Does he know your last name?

If he does know your surname (which I’m assuming he does by now), I’m guessing he didn’t find out what it was until after he got your number and saved it in his phone, and has probably been too lazy to change it since.

Walks like a duck quacks like a duck it's a duck....

By completely changing your name in his phone he is hiding your identity from someone else. When it's like that, don't drive yourself crazy speculating, just walk away.

Agree and again I ask OP, why the heck would he intentionally show you this? A text you previously sent him? Makes no sense.

Not accusing you of anything, but were you snooping on his phone, found your text saved under another woman's name, confronted him and he gave that ridiculous explanation?

I’d still like to know how the OP responded to his explanation.

Op, did you ask why he just didn’t add your last name after he provided his explanation?

Did you tell him his explanation was, well...weird/strange?

I’d have a difficult time not responding along the lines of, “hmmm, that’s weird. Why didn’t you just add my last name?”.

My husband's boss has the same first name as me. He once was texting us both at the same time and accidentally sent her a very personal message saying he loved her, which of course was meant for me. He was pretty embarrassed, so if the guy you're dating has had a similar experience, I could see him taking more care to not mix up people while texting. I don't think it necessarily means he's juggling women. Why not just ask him why he has you under a different name?

Archived