What is happening here?

Cuddles

He is not married and we are getting along well and happy in this relationship.

I didn't snoop on his phone, which is something I'll not do. Actually in the midst of texting he shared a screen shot of my text and that's when I noticed he saved me under another woman's name. I told him this is weird as there many ways to naming a person.

His explanation was when we first met, he got your number and saved it in his phone. After that he know my surname and probably he been too lazy to change it since. He said he doesn't want to inappropriately message the wrong person when its only meant for me. He told me he encountered sending wrong personal msg to the same name & it was embarrassing.

This is not something I would do and I cant understand why he would too.

At the same time I was thinking, if he is willing to show the screenshot / phone with me, he definitely would know one fine day I will notice the name difference. I think if he really wanted to hide something from me, I think he would be more cautious of his actions and will keep his phone out of reach.

I don’t think you have anything here to worry about, OP.

I’m just not sure how guilt or shady behaviour can be inferred because he saved your name as Claire instead of Susan; although his reasoning might be a bit different to some.

Plus, if he was hiding anything, why would he deliberately show you the texts where he’s saved your name as Claire?

It’s just your bf’s way of avoiding any confusion while texting/calling.

He’s been lazy and didn’t change the name since he’s found out your last name.

I’ve met some men online with very common first names. When exchanging numbers I’ve had to be creative at times, because I have friends and colleagues saved on my phone with the same common first names. And I’ve had to go back and add my friends and colleagues last names to avoid any confusion or embarrassing moments.

However if it does bother you, you can always ask him to change it or you can ask to change it yourself.

Eh, I think he's full of malarkey, OP.

Sorry, but his explanation is convoluted which usually means it's not the truth. Too lazy to add your surname to make it easy to contact you? Right.

My guess? He is (or was) hiding you from someone and totally forgot to cover his tracks when he accidentally showed you that you are "Claire" in his phone. So he's spinning some flimsy explanation now. For what it's worth, my first name is very common and I can't say I have ever known a boyfriend to assign me a different name altogether in his phone.

My father, brother and ex-boyfriend all have the same name. I can't say I ever mixed them up when contacting them.

My partner's ex is the same name as mine. She gave him another name so she wouldn't accidentally text him, instead of me. She didn't choose another man's name. It was something though, that made sure she wouldn't confuse us.

I think this guy could have simply put an initial after your name. Seems odd to pick another woman's name, but he may be telling the truth. Maybe he's honest, just not that bright :)

I'm newish to this issue so I have texted the wrong person (even though I have last names). Or at least almost. I think it's weird that you would be Claire and i would want to know the significance(my suspicion is that his current girlfriend knows there is a Claire in his life -a cousin or colleague and so is comfortable seeing that name in his phone). How many Susans does he have in his phone?

I think this guy could have simply put an initial after your name. Seems odd to pick another woman's name, but he may be telling the truth. Maybe he's honest, just not that bright :)

I completely agree with this. How easy is it to add a middle name? Susan A. Miller? You could even change it to Susan Miller (Work) or Susan Miller (Oregon) to differentiate people.

Going to give you an answer from someone who’s actually doing this right now. He’s definitely juggling more than you. There are other girls he’s talking to. At least you’re not listed as a guys name.

Do you actually know this guy and know he's definitely doing what you say he's doing? If you don't know him then you don't "definitely" know anything.

Archived