Should I give my ex-girlfriend's nephew an Xmas present???

Peter1223344

So my ex girlfriend of 5 years broke up with me 2 months ago as she 'lost the spark''... I pleaded with her at first, which resulted in getting me blocked on everything.. so I've been in no contact for 5 weeks, I'm in a much better place now but I think I might still have feelings for her and would love to talk to her again.. and she has recently unblocked me on Facebook but no contact... (I'm not sure what that means)..

BUT I was very close to her nephew and always bought him an Xmas present! Would it be a bad idea to get him a present this year! I do genuinely miss him too and hate that I might not see him grow up!

Aww, this is so very sweet! As long as your motive is not in hopes that she will contact you!

Okay, he's a child. I see no issue with it honestly.

As for your feelings, give it time. This is a very recent breakup from a LTR.

Don't put much stock into her actions on social media.

Unless she reaches out to you, and makes her intentions clear, there's not much to hold on to.

I still love my Ex, but I'm happy moving on with my life if she doesn't want to reconcile.

However, I had a strong bond with her nephew. He was always more excited to see me than her and the rest of her family.

To all those suggesting NOT to send a gift, how about sending it with just his name on and not addressing it from me. That way he will be happy with the gift. My ex and him may speculate who it was from, but wont be sure/maybe wont care too much who...

I still love my Ex, but I'm happy moving on with my life if she doesn't want to reconcile.

However, I had a strong bond with her nephew. He was always more excited to see me than her and the rest of her family.

To all those suggesting NOT to send a gift, how about sending it with just his name on and not addressing it from me. That way he will be happy with the gift. My ex and him may speculate who it was from, but wont be sure/maybe wont care too much who...

Do you not see how weird that would be?

If I were a parent and a gift with no return address or identifying details of the sender showed up for my kid, no way in hell would I be passing it on to the child. That would creep me right out.

Just don't do it, OP. It's not appropriate no matter how you slice it.

My view is obviously very different than all but one here! Lol

So ask yourself this: are/were you close with her nephew's parents?

How old is he?

Do NOT send it without a name.

I have an ex who sends gifts to my daughter, doesn't bug me in the least.

I also have an ex brother in law that sends her gifts. It's not imposing on me,

it doesn't stir up trouble, but I'm one not to sweat small stuff like this.

One ex is friends with my brother, and sees/spends time with my niece and nephew.

also doesn't bother me. That's their relationships, separate from mine.

It's about the kid, not the adults.

If you can honestly ask yourself if it would not stir up trouble with his parents,and

Your answer would be an honest "no, it wouldn't", then why not send it?

Your ex, if she got angry you did so, that would reflect poorly on her character.

Your motive cannot be to win her back, that will be a poor reflection on you.

So if it's truly from the heart, I still see no harm.

No. I have recent experience with this exact situation:

I recently ended my 18-month relationship. My exBF became close with my nephew, and had already bought him a gift, which happened to be at my house.

I returned the gift to my exBF and bought my nephew something else, just from me.

My reasoning: exBF is no longer a part of our lives, so I don't need gifts from his family, nor my family from him.

No for all the reasons you've been given. It's fine if you want to contact your ex and ask if you can give her something to give to him if she feels comfortable doing that. But it's her decision 100%. I would feel somewhat differently if the nephew were an independent adult.

The fact that you want your ex to wonder who sent it says it all. You're hoping to get your ex's attention. Maybe even hopng she'll think you're a wonderful guy for getting the nephew a gift.

This is about your ex, not the nephew, imo.

So true. This was true in my case as well. My ex brought up my nephew's present several times, as in, that he didn't want it back. I finally just mailed it to him one day in a box, as I realized that my exBF simply wanted my nephew to see who it came from.

Manipulative, if you ask me.

This child already probably knows that you are no longer around even if he doesn’t understand fully why so to get a present from you would not only be confusing but he might wonder why you no longer visit him . Its a big NO from me . When you breakup with someone you loose access to their pets their family the use of their car ;etc . If you are in NC with her it would be really crossing boundaries sending a present without her permission. If you really couldn’t resist sending it then you have to contact her and ask if it’s ok. But do not expect a good reaction if you send it without her knowledge

Archived