How can I earn a living working online without having to do marketing?

Being on medicaid is not something to aspire to

It's health insurance just like what everyone else has, I don't see why it is bad to have it. If you don't have insurance, you have to pay a lot of money at tax time.

and the 401k IS going to run out if you are living off of it.

I know inflation will change the numbers around a bit but retirement age for me tentatively is only in 13 years, and where I live the prices of housing and rent hasn't changed much in the last 13 years. Besides, I will inherit my mom's house when she dies so I will be able to live there or I could sell it. And what I have in my 401k as the cost of living stands now would last me at least 10 years. I also am counting on finding an income stream that I can live off or continue to keep going after retirement. I know it sounds stupid to not expect to have health problems but one of my passions is health so I am already keeping myself in perfect health so I am miles ahead of everyone else as far as that goes.

I think you should consider going back to the factory if you were simply laid off if they call you back unless you can think of something else. I think its all about choosing something vs waiting for something to hit you on the head.

That factory doesn't exist anymore, a few years after they laid me off, they closed. But I wasn't happy working there either, I only stuck it out for 18 years because my dad forced me to get that job and he worked there, also at the time I never gave much thought to bettering my life. That lay off was the first thing that happened to make my life what it is today so I am eternally grateful it happened.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also remember this; "According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average worker currently holds ten different jobs before age forty, and this number is projected to grow. Forrester Research predicts that today's youngest workers ? that's you ? will hold twelve to fifteen jobs in their lifetime. "

A lot of these people didn't have 10 different professions, but 10 different employers. They could have had 2-3 part time jobs in high school, college, etc, and once they get a professional job, they could have changed employers as they went for better opportunities. Most people don't go from baker, to factory, to accountant, to hair stylist, to photographer, etc....

I don't have 10 different professions either, I only have 4 total. But even if I did have 10 or more different professions, that in itself isn't a bad thing. This is a good article that explains why (since I am so bad at rewording things, lol): https://www.themuse.com/advice/embrace-your-paths-why-having-multiple-jobs-is-a-good-thing

It's health insurance just like what everyone else has, I don't see why it is bad to have it. If you don't have insurance, you have to pay a lot of money at tax time.

I know inflation will change the numbers around a bit but retirement age for me tentatively is only in 13 years, and where I live the prices of housing and rent hasn't changed much in the last 13 years. Besides, I will inherit my mom's house when she dies so I will be able to live there or I could sell it. And what I have in my 401k as the cost of living stands now would last me at least 10 years. I also am counting on finding an income stream that I can live off or continue to keep going after retirement. I know it sounds stupid to not expect to have health problems but one of my passions is health so I am already keeping myself in perfect health so I am miles ahead of everyone else as far as that goes.

That factory doesn't exist anymore, a few years after they laid me off, they closed. But I wasn't happy working there either, I only stuck it out for 18 years because my dad forced me to get that job and he worked there, also at the time I never gave much thought to bettering my life. That lay off was the first thing that happened to make my life what it is today so I am eternally grateful it happened.

OK - you can say dad forced you to work there for the first year -- but what made you stay for 18? You obviously liked it enough to work there and he was just looking out for you. You weren't going to school - so he didn't want you dependent on him. you can't pin this on dad anymore. So own the fact that it was your choice after awhile. Inheriting your mom's house is not a good plan to count on - mom could need to sell it at some point before you inherit it -- and want to downsize and get a condo or need the money herself. Or the cost of inheriting it and the maintenance.

OK - you can say dad forced you to work there for the first year -- but what made you stay for 18? You obviously liked it enough to work there and he was just looking out for you. You weren't going to school - so he didn't want you dependent on him. you can't pin this on dad anymore. So own the fact that it was your choice after awhile.

I stayed there because if I would have quit, my dad would have never let me hear the end of it. Me and him never got along and I learned it was best just not to create waves. And when I had that job I was young, I didn't know anything else. I was an entirely different person than I am now. I didn't even know there was such a thing as bettering your life, having a dream or a goal. My life back then was conform, obey, and shut up. So I did what I was told, fell in line with what everyone else was doing, and accepted my "fate". I was sleepwalking through life just existing with no thoughts about my future or what I really wanted out of life.

Inheriting your mom's house is not a good plan to count on - mom could need to sell it at some point before you inherit it -- and want to downsize and get a condo or need the money herself. Or the cost of inheriting it and the maintenance.

No she won't sell it, in fact she is fixing it up in ways that will benefit us (me and my brother), she tells us this is for us. She doesn't have much in her 401k so she told us all we will get from her is the house so she is making sure that me and my brother get it (it's in her will).

I stayed there because if I would have quit, my dad would have never let me hear the end of it. Me and him never got along and I learned it was best just not to create waves. And when I had that job I was young, I didn't know anything else. I was an entirely different person than I am now. I didn't even know there was such a thing as bettering your life, having a dream or a goal. My life back then was conform, obey, and shut up. So I did what I was told, fell in line with what everyone else was doing, and accepted my "fate". I was sleepwalking through life just existing with no thoughts about my future or what I really wanted out of life.

No she won't sell it, in fact she is fixing it up in ways that will benefit us (me and my brother), she tells us this is for us. She doesn't have much in her 401k so she told us all we will get from her is the house so she is making sure that me and my brother get it (it's in her will).

That was then, this is now. Even assuming all that has been true well into your 40s you now have dreams and goals. So figure out what sacrifices of your time, money, etc you are willing to make to reach those goals or dreams, what steps you are going to take today however small to make progress toward your goal, etc.

And if your mom needs money for a health issue or she just changes her mind, then what?

To answer the question in your title...you can't make money online without having to do marketing, particularly when you reject and/or shoot down every single idea the posters here have come up with.

I'd love to see an update when you do find something.

To answer the question in your title...you can't make money online without having to do marketing, particularly when you reject and/or shoot down every single idea the posters here have come up with.

I'd love to see an update when you do find something.

Yeah I honestly can't think of anything that doesn't require some marketing. Time. Willingness to sacrifice something for it. Sustained effort. Maybe having to work sometimes during mornings or afternoons. Some combination of.

That was then, this is now. Even assuming all that has been true well into your 40s you now have dreams and goals. So figure out what sacrifices of your time, money, etc you are willing to make to reach those goals or dreams, what steps you are going to take today however small to make progress toward your goal, etc.

Yeah, been working on that for about 10 years now. I know that is a long time, but I have also made a ton of progress in that time, in my eyes, maybe not anyone else's.

And if your mom needs money for a health issue or she just changes her mind, then what?

Well she has health insurance that covers everything...and I don't know why a mother would change her mind and not let her kids inherit her stuff, lol we are her life, if she could she'd give us even more. I am not going to worry about fictional scenarios that would involve something major to change between now and then, she's already in her 70's so if something were to change, it would have to change real quick!

Why would you have to do any marketing if you are just performing a service or a task online? Some people have told me there are ways you can seek out online jobs that are a one time thing, or if you work for that company you keep doing more work for the same company but you are just doing a task using your computer and you get paid. It isn't passive like I want though, which is why I haven't gotten too serious about trying any of that stuff out. I did take a test for proofreading but apparently they didn't want me. Also some people suggested writing for various websites and blogs, I didn't think I had the right experience or degrees or expertise for that but then was told you just have to have more than the person who is reading it. So that idea seems like it might pan out.

Maybe having to work sometimes during mornings or afternoons. Some combination of.

Well I can't work mornings because of my sleep disorder but I honestly have never heard of that being a criteria. Most online jobs don't have anything to do with a business having actual hours.

I think the core issue here is that you spent 18 years feeling as if you'd been forced into doing a job that you didn't find enriching or challenging. And you're a little mad that you did that for so long and now you're hell bent on not doing anything remotely like that again. That's why every time you pursue turning something you enjoyed as a hobby into a job, you lose interest. Is it possible this is more about having an issue with anyone having "authority" over you and that is making you balk? Even if the someone is your "disciplined" self? Something to think on..

Also what about working for a call center? Customer support like for a telecom company or even maybe Amazon! I think you can do that kind of job by phone with a computer and perhaps it would fit your hours requirement.

Another approach I heard about is ..some people work at jobs they may not "love," but they do it for a specific amount of time. They save money; then go travel. Maybe it would be more palletable then to hang in there since the goal is your trip at the end (to wherever you decided to go).

One final idea is maybe you could work in the travel business or perhaps even on a cruise ship.

I think the core issue here is that you spent 18 years feeling as if you'd been forced into doing a job that you didn't find enriching or challenging. And you're a little mad that you did that for so long and now you're hell bent on not doing anything remotely like that again. That's why every time you pursue turning something you enjoyed as a hobby into a job, you lose interest. Is it possible this is more about having an issue with anyone having "authority" over you and that is making you balk? Even if the someone is your "disciplined" self? Something to think on..

It's no secret that I don't like authority, lol My dad being strict and controlling was enough to make me rebel (usually in ways he didn't know about), and yeah spending 18 years in that job just solidified it for me that I had enough of other people making decisions in my life. So maybe that is also why it is hard for me to make decisions because I never had to until I was in my 30's. And then I was overwhelmed with a seemingly unlimited array of options. Which isn't a good thing either, that is another reason why all my interests and hobbies are such a huge roadblock for me. I WISH I only had one interest!

I should add, that job I had for 18 years was a factory job and I did work in 3 other factories after that. 2 of them I managed to stay at for over a year, in fact the one I just quit I was there for a year and 3 months. I might have stayed if my coworkers would actually do their jobs correctly and if our boss wasn't a drill sargeant/traffic cop/micromanaging witch with a B! Worst boss I ever had. Being humiliated every day is not worth $17 an hour. I'm going off on a tangent now, but my point was I still took other factory jobs even after that first one, I needed something, and I have so much factory experience now that I could work at any factory I wanted. But, factories are horrible for your mental and physical health. And health is one of my passions, it is so important to me that I will quit a job if it is unhealthy for me in any way. It's just your intuition that you have to listen to, really, if you go into work every single day wanting to turn around and go home, and fantasize about walking out, that is a sign it isn't right for you. And that is how I have felt with all my jobs except that 18 year one and the one I mentioned that was the only one I loved.

Also what about working for a call center? Customer support like for a telecom company or even maybe Amazon! I think you can do that kind of job by phone with a computer and perhaps it would fit your hours requirement.

That would be perfect...if I didn't have an aversion to using phones, lol I was hoping no one would bring this up because it's bad enough I have the sleep issue. But yes I have had this phone phobia since I was like 10 years old, and I have had 3 jobs where I had to talk on the phone and needless to say I was only at those jobs for a few months until I could find anything else!

Another approach I heard about is ..some people work at jobs they may not "love," but they do it for a specific amount of time. They save money; then go travel. Maybe it would be more palletable then to hang in there since the goal is your trip at the end (to wherever you decided to go).

I might do something like this but minus the travel part. Just work in the winter time when there is nothing going on and then spend my summers going to local music festivals (that's really what I am living for these days). But at some point I will run out of savings and would have to work year round. I can only afford to do the part time thing for a few years.

One final idea is maybe you could work in the travel business or perhaps even on a cruise ship.

I have tossed that idea around, some sort of travel business or job. I wouldn't be good at it though because I have no desire to leave the country and I hate boats and airplanes, lol I have only flown once my entire life. But I do love going on road trips and I love exploring new towns, but I myself pretty much stick to my state and the bordering states. I could do something locally based, I suppose.

. But I do love going on road trips and I love exploring new towns, but I myself pretty much stick to my state and the bordering states. I could do something locally based, I suppose.

You can start a blog about local tourism , places to eat and nature. Do it as a hobby at first and if it gains popularity you will find a way to commercialize it.

Well I can't work mornings because of my sleep disorder but I honestly have never heard of that being a criteria. Most online jobs don't have anything to do with a business having actual hours.

My point was simply having a willingness to do whatever it takes to get it done. The dedication and flexibility and doggedness.

It may be helpful for you to write a list of what you are willing to do instead of all that you aren't.

Yeah, been working on that for about 10 years now. I know that is a long time, but I have also made a ton of progress in that time, in my eyes, maybe not anyone else's.

Well she has health insurance that covers everything...and I don't know why a mother would change her mind and not let her kids inherit her stuff, lol we are her life, if she could she'd give us even more. I am not going to worry about fictional scenarios that would involve something major to change between now and then, she's already in her 70's so if something were to change, it would have to change real quick!

What you are writing about as far as ways to get fulfilling work and make a living stirkescme as mostly fictional. I totally agree with the post about the basics you must work on - the realities of work ethic and being willing to work your behind off - I’ve seen far more excuses than anything you’re willing to do - that and blaming others.

As far as your inheritance - the reality is - too many examples to count - talk to a professional in the area if you don’t believe me, a layperson - there are many instances where inheritances disappear or are vastly reduced and yes even with health insurance. And yes for many other reasons so depending on something they may or many not happen in many years is to me fictional on your part and far too risky. To give only one of many examples - and I mean one of many - your sibling could get sick or lose his job and your mother might spend her money on him. For example. And sure she could start getting dementia and change her will while still competent - without your knowledge. Put on your big girl pants and make sure you earn your own nest egg. That’s what I did. And still doing but the 10-15 years I spent doing that after 7 years of higher education to insure that I could be independent and do what I was skilled at was what worked for me. Over a 20 year commitment. I say that not to be complimented but so that you see I’m not suggesting you do even a percentage of what did.

Just to make sure I’m understanding ...

You can’t work mornings or early afternoons.

You can’t work jobs with phones.

You won’t work factory jobs, despite that being almost all your experience.

You don’t want a boss.

You won’t do marketing.

You want it to have absolutely no unhealthy components (which translates to me you have to love it??)

You won’t do work that requires airplane travel.

You don’t have a college degree and you won’t get one.

You also won’t do a trade.

Is this correct?

You can start a blog about local tourism , places to eat and nature. Do it as a hobby at first and if it gains popularity you will find a way to commercialize it.

Well I did have a blog and website about nature once, I just realized I'd rather be out in nature than just writing about it. I like the idea of local tourism. I could give it a try, just afraid knowing how these things always end up.

My point was simply having a willingness to do whatever it takes to get it done. The dedication and flexibility and doggedness.

It may be helpful for you to write a list of what you are willing to do instead of all that you aren't.

There isn't much in that list, lol Pretty much something that involves working alone, part time hours, flexible hours and days, something that I love to do, but what though, none of the things I love to do fit any of those criteria.

What you are writing about as far as ways to get fulfilling work and make a living stirkescme as mostly fictional. I totally agree with the post about the basics you must work on - the realities of work ethic and being willing to work your behind off - I’ve seen far more excuses than anything you’re willing to do - that and blaming others.

By fictional you mean impossible? Something that has never been done before? How many times have people told others that and then they ended up creating exactly what they wanted? I just can't shut off my eternal optimism and my belief that doing something different is better than doing something that everyone else is doing. I'm not saying I'm going to be the next Steve Jobs or Elon Musk, I'm just saying maybe I'll come up with a way to earn money the way I want to.

As far as your inheritance - the reality is - too many examples to count - talk to a professional in the area if you don’t believe me, a layperson - there are many instances where inheritances disappear or are vastly reduced and yes even with health insurance. And yes for many other reasons so depending on something they may or many not happen in many years is to me fictional on your part and far too risky. To give only one of many examples - and I mean one of many - your sibling could get sick or lose his job and your mother might spend her money on him. For example. And sure she could start getting dementia and change her will while still competent - without your knowledge. Put on your big girl pants and make sure you earn your own nest egg. That’s what I did. And still doing but the 10-15 years I spent doing that after 7 years of higher education to insure that I could be independent and do what I was skilled at was what worked for me. Over a 20 year commitment. I say that not to be complimented but so that you see I’m not suggesting you do even a percentage of what did.

Archived