How can I earn a living working online without having to do marketing?

If I had had any idea at all the OP would even consider spending $120 .... or $23.... or $2 ....on a get rich quick scheme with the seriousness she is -and defend it to the extent she is I would have never tried to give input in the first place. (Other than avoid it like the plague, the end). I feel a bit duped at this point unless the OP changed course mid-thread from genuinely wanting to find a job or career or profession she loved to wanting to defend why a get rich quick scheme was an appropriate way to make a living. My bad. OP there are countless websites that are far more adept than this one IMHO at helping you choose which get rich quick scheme to spend your hard earned money on and your free time/energy. I don't follow them but I know second hand they exist. I think you'll feel far more validated and encouraged there as long as you have the $ to burn whether on this scheme or the many many others.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Working hard does not mean they are struggling if they like what they are doing. And if they are struggling as in suffering, they shouldn't be doing that job.

Wow.

I did engineering in school. It was hard AF. Frustrating. Stressful.

It was good, but there was a lot of bad.

I knew the reward at the end - a good job.

Your perspective blows me away. You simply won’t do anything hard or stressful or difficult. Something you don’t enjoy sometimes. There is nothing like that.

Life isn’t easy buttercup. You’re going to have to do things you don’t like, do things that aren’t convenient, do hard things... and often... because good things don’t come easily.

This popped up on my feed first thing and reading through kind of blows my mind.

I've made my life long passion (drawing) into a career. I've drawn since I'm a small child and you'd never find me without a sketchbook and pencil. However, my job isn't always pure joy just because I get to do what i love all day. There are deadlines, client feedback I may not always agree with, off days I'm not feeling creative etc. In the end though, sacrifices you make along the way can be more rewarding in my opinion than sliding through life in a constant state of bliss.

I understand the notion of wanting to be fulfilled in what you do, but thinking you won't have off days or there won't be struggle ever, seems shockingly naive and out of touch, especially for someone your age.

My journalism professor way back when once asked me what I wanted to do with my life upon graduation. I told him, full of bravado, that I was going to travel the world freelancing for magazines such as Outside, Sports Illustrated, etc.

He looked at me with a pained expression and said "It's so fun to have a professional wet dream. But what are you going to do to pay the bills?"

All these years later I still want to freelance for Outside magazine but I have a day job instead. ;)

But, but, but, now I get to work from home a few days a week. I do no marketing, have benefits, and get paid way more than any freelance gig would have ever paid me.

I suppose there are a few freelancers for Outside magazine that make a good living, but they're the exception.

This is your problem. Even if you love your job, after a while it is monotonous and tedious. This is something you have to accept. Every day life doesn't involve fun and excitement all the time . I mean, if you expect to feel/live like Gordon Gekko, it is not going to happen. Heck, even sex will be like a chore if you do it for hours every day(ok that was an exaggeration - sex is always fun lol )

I'm a hedonist, what can I say. Life is short and I don't want to spend 50 years of it doing monotonous and tedious things. I think people accept this just because it's how most people live their lives.

You are good at writing. Pursue it. Consider yourself lucky, most people do not have any talent.

I can give it a shot again...maybe my problem was the medium I was using (blogs and websites) where I had to keep adding more content, indefinitely. Maybe a site like Textbroker will work better for me, although that isn't a steady income nor is it passive. But I probably could do it part time and earn money another way also part time.

As for the 120 dollars for the book,oh boy, the writer knows how to make money fast. ..

Things are priced at what they are worth. Maybe people should check it out before passing it off as a scam. [video=youtube_share;KtiEk-P-uDc]

If I had had any idea at all the OP would even consider spending $120 .... or $23.... or $2 ....on a get rich quick scheme with the seriousness she is -and defend it to the extent she is I would have never tried to give input in the first place. (Other than avoid it like the plague, the end). I feel a bit duped at this point unless the OP changed course mid-thread from genuinely wanting to find a job or career or profession she loved to wanting to defend why a get rich quick scheme was an appropriate way to make a living. My bad. OP there are countless websites that are far more adept than this one IMHO at helping you choose which get rich quick scheme to spend your hard earned money on and your free time/energy. I don't follow them but I know second hand they exist. I think you'll feel far more validated and encouraged there as long as you have the $ to burn whether on this scheme or the many many others.

Someone sent me a free copy, I didn't have to pay for it, since they knew I have no income. And it isn't a get rich quick scheme, like I said in my last post, I wish people would at least research things before making judgements about them (I posted a video that sums up what it is). But I don't care if you buy the book or not, I know it will work for me and that's all that matters.

lol I know you are being facetious, but writing has always been the thing I come back to as what could be the most viable option. The only class I was good in in school was English/Grammar/Spelling, and ever since I was 10 years old I have written poems, not so much anymore but for most of my life I wrote poems and was even published in the National Library of Poetry and a literary book called Water & Light. This was 20 years ago though. Since then I have tried writing on blogs and websites but that's when I realized I would run out of things to say quick, and it became a chore and felt like work doing all the techy stuff. That is why one option that I really think might work is just doing freelance writing, just taking assignments here and there. That way I only have to write about a subject once. However, I wonder if I would just keep repeating myself all the time. It might work, it might not.

No, I wasn't being facetious. Writing is something you seem comfortable with and are good at. And keeping a discussion going is what marketing boils down to. You can do both.

Writers do repeat themselves at times. They just find different ways of conveying their message.

Wow.

I did engineering in school. It was hard AF. Frustrating. Stressful.

It was good, but there was a lot of bad.

I knew the reward at the end - a good job.

You did that because you are trained to believe it, like everyone else. You know how I get good jobs? By filling out an application.

Your perspective blows me away. You simply won’t do anything hard or stressful or difficult. Something you don’t enjoy sometimes. There is nothing like that.

But I HAVE done hard, stressful, difficult things. Just like you. The only difference is I didn't have to pay thousands of dollars to get my jobs.

Life isn’t easy buttercup. You’re going to have to do things you don’t like, do things that aren’t convenient, do hard things... and often... because good things don’t come easily.

I believe good things can come easily. If I look at all the jobs I've had, some were more of a struggle than others. One of them was actually no struggle at all, and ironically that job was what allowed me to gain the most happiness.

[h=1]"Earn Money Online: 92 Websites That Pay Writers $50+":[/h]https://www.makealivingwriting.com/earn-money-online-websites-that-pay-writers-spring-2016/

This is highly competitive. I have worked as a writer for years and someone that does not have a tear sheet has a tough go of it, ditto if you are not employed in the specialty you are writing on. The needle has shifted from people who write well to people that are experts in the field they are writing about. I would absolutely get another job while you trying it out - because $10-50 a pop is nice, but it doesn't pay the bills for the time it takes you to edit, wait to hear, etc. It takes a lot of work, patience and ability to take rejection and criticism. So try your hand at a few submissions and see how it goes. You need a job to support yourself while you see if it takes off and if you can make a consistent living with it.

This popped up on my feed first thing and reading through kind of blows my mind.

I've made my life long passion (drawing) into a career. I've drawn since I'm a small child and you'd never find me without a sketchbook and pencil. However, my job isn't always pure joy just because I get to do what i love all day. There are deadlines, client feedback I may not always agree with, off days I'm not feeling creative etc. In the end though, sacrifices you make along the way can be more rewarding in my opinion than sliding through life in a constant state of bliss.

But my point is no matter what job you have, you are going to have to deal with those things. But I am NOT going to have to deal with the things I didn't like about my jobs IF I didn't have those specific jobs. Same with online stuff. The stuff I didn't like about what I was doing were NOT things that even exist in other online "jobs". My point is simply to find something that has the least amount of those things, then you will have a better chance at success.

I understand the notion of wanting to be fulfilled in what you do, but thinking you won't have off days or there won't be struggle ever, seems shockingly naive and out of touch, especially for someone your age.

My age has nothing to do with it, I just happen to believe that in everything in life there are varying degrees of factors that you enjoy and don't enjoy. I'm just saying it makes sense to find a thing that has the most of what you enjoy and the least of what you don't.

My journalism professor way back when once asked me what I wanted to do with my life upon graduation. I told him, full of bravado, that I was going to travel the world freelancing for magazines such as Outside, Sports Illustrated, etc.

He looked at me with a pained expression and said "It's so fun to have a professional wet dream. But what are you going to do to pay the bills?"

All these years later I still want to freelance for Outside magazine but I have a day job instead. ;)

But, but, but, now I get to work from home a few days a week. I do no marketing, have benefits, and get paid way more than any freelance gig would have ever paid me.

I suppose there are a few freelancers for Outside magazine that make a good living, but they're the exception.

If you had that much enthusiasm for what you wanted to do, what stopped you? SOMEONE has to work for that magazine, why couldn't it have been you? I don't have that much enthusiasm for any one thing, I wish I did, because that would solve a huge portion of my problem.

No, I wasn't being facetious. Writing is something you seem comfortable with and are good at. And keeping a discussion going is what marketing boils down to. You can do both.

Writers do repeat themselves at times. They just find different ways of conveying their message.

You are making me feel hopeful that writing just might work out for me! Thanks for the support!

This is highly competitive. I have worked as a writer for years and someone that does not have a tear sheet has a tough go of it, ditto if you are not employed in the specialty you are writing on. The needle has shifted from people who write well to people that are experts in the field they are writing about. I would absolutely get another job while you trying it out - because $10-50 a pop is nice, but it doesn't pay the bills for the time it takes you to edit, wait to hear, etc. It takes a lot of work, patience and ability to take rejection and criticism. So try your hand at a few submissions and see how it goes. You need a job to support yourself while you see if it takes off and if you can make a consistent living with it.

I didn't plan to do just one thing anyway. I want multiple streams of income, and I want to do jobs in at least a few of my interests, I can't pick just one anyway! Regarding needing to be an expert, that is why I am working on that by taking classes in the areas of my interests. Many people have said the classes I am taking are not going to help me reach my goal, but this is how they will, by giving me the knowledge I need to be an expert in them.

It's just a list. With options other than writing on a forum that doesn't pay (as far as I know).

I graduated with 10k in student loans. And got a job that I imagine pays at least double what you make.

You’re not wrong about student loans. But it’s a balance. What can you do with the loans? Do economic analysis.

And I honestly don’t believe that you’ve had to work hard for some desired outcome. I bet you quit when it gets too hard.

I never claimed I was working.

Yes you did:

How? Almost every chance I get I am working on figuring out what to do.

I didn't say this:

And you're expecting me to post about a problem and have a solution and be working within 6 days!?

But I will say that lots of 'chances' to 'work on figuring out what to do' are passing you by as you sit here and play job-themed internet ping pong for a week straight.

I am not even planning to start anything until fall because I have a bunch of festivals and camping trips all summer long that I am going to enjoy while I can.

So right now you're just starting to get ready to figure out how to get ready to start thinking about working. Got it.

Good luck chasing the dream lol. Let us know how it goes.

If she had a dream, then i would say its worth chasing. If she dreamed of brewing her own beer, being a landscaper, running a marathon etc, then there is an eye on some sort of a prize. just dreaming of an ANY opportunity where you don't have to punch a clock, don't have to market yourself and don't have to work hard --- that's not really a dream.

You did that because you are trained to believe it, like everyone else. You know how I get good jobs? By filling out an application.

By having an engineering degree, one qualifies for a higher level of employment right off the bat. Its not what YOU believe, but what the people hiring you believe you can do for them based on your training and how well you fit in with the work culture.

you don't have to start off mopping floors to work your way up. you already have a certain level of income to start that's above an entry level job. And the ability to move up because you have training is something that cannot be compared to just "filling out an application".

Yes you did:

I didn't say this:

But I will say that lots of 'chances' to 'work on figuring out what to do' are passing you by as you sit here and play job-themed internet ping pong for a week straight.

So right now you're just starting to get ready to figure out how to get ready to start thinking about working. Got it.

I thought you would know what the difference was between "working" and "working on". And clearly you don't understand the purpose of asking for advice, and you haven't noticed the progression happening here. And nice comedy there, no I am just enjoying life while I learn things about myself and research suggestions from everyone. I am still in the middle of checking out things people told me to check out, and I don't sit on the computer every waking minute.

If she had a dream, then i would say its worth chasing. If she dreamed of brewing her own beer, being a landscaper, running a marathon etc, then there is an eye on some sort of a prize. just dreaming of an ANY opportunity where you don't have to punch a clock, don't have to market yourself and don't have to work hard --- that's not really a dream.

Well you still have to do step A before you can get to step B.

By having an engineering degree, one qualifies for a higher level of employment right off the bat. Its not what YOU believe, but what the people hiring you believe you can do for them based on your training and how well you fit in with the work culture.

you don't have to start off mopping floors to work your way up. you already have a certain level of income to start that's above an entry level job. And the ability to move up because you have training is something that cannot be compared to just "filling out an application".

I never had to work my way up by mopping floors either. Yeah your jobs paid more than any of mine I'm sure but I made enough to afford my bills and then some, and consider myself a success.

I graduated with 10k in student loans. And got a job that I imagine pays at least double what you make.

Ok if it's that important to you to have more than other people. I just need enough to get by and still enjoy the things i enjoy.

And I honestly don’t believe that you’ve had to work hard for some desired outcome. I bet you quit when it gets too hard.

Why would you believe that, when I have worked for 30 years? Of course working hard got me my desired outcomes, with the exception of the inheritance from my dad, obviously I didn't work for that but you can't blame someone for having money that was given to them.

I thought you would know what the difference was between "working" and "working on". And clearly you don't understand the purpose of asking for advice, and you haven't noticed the progression happening here. And nice comedy there, no I am just enjoying life while I learn things about myself and research suggestions from everyone. I am still in the middle of checking out things people told me to check out, and I don't sit on the computer every waking minute.

You misread my post. I was referring to your "working on" statement, not expanding it to mean employment. Your idea of "working on" is extremely passive, as I have explained previously, and as you describe her. Not sure why you're so resistant. It's not an insult. It's just a shoe that happens to fit. Might as well wear it.

Archived