How can I earn a living working online without having to do marketing?

you need to push yourself to reach a goal. Its fine to have a goal of a vacation or a camper but those things don't really get you ahead or enrich your life (unless you need the camper to live in because you don't have other options). you do the vacation, its over, etc, but it didn't get you the skills to work in a job you wanted or didn't get you a promotion. Yes, you need to push yourself and get out of your comfort zone. Pushing does not have to equal struggle -- but you have to want better for yourself and push yourself to get there.

Well the camper is actually a huge part of enriching my life because it signifies freedom and the ability to enjoy nature, and provides me with a shelter, if I ever become homeless. It was a 10 year dream I had and when I finally got one I felt like I was literally living in a dream. Even yesterday on FB I posted a picture of me with my camper (went camping over the weekend) and I said I am the happiest I have ever been in my life. So the camper is a massively significant part of my life and the thing I have wanted the most and the longest and finally achieved, so I am not going to pass that off as just a thing I saved up for. It is my means of freedom which is THE most important value in my life.

As for vacations, I do agree, unless a vacation is a life changing one, such as a week long healing retreat or something. I would like to do one of those. But right now I don't want to spend a thousand dollars on anything when I don't have an income. That is why I try to build my life like it is a vacation, so I don't have a life that I need a vacation from. I believe that was a quote but I forget who said it. Why would you need a vacation when you have the perfect life you never want to leave?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just had a thought, after I posted those last 2 replies...

I'm watching a video about how to come up with good content for writing emails to your list. And my thoughts went like this;

It's easy to have content to share, but the hard part comes for me because I am not an expert in this content, I simply enjoy learning about it. So where an expert would come off as knowledgeable, like every sentence is full of valuable nuggets of information, MY writing comes off as 'I just want to tell you about this stuff I learned'. And of course it's going to sound stupid when I reword it, so I usually ended up making a very short post with 1 or 2 sentences of me saying how cool something is and then sharing a video or book or whatever. I don't have a wellspring of knowledge in me, I just enjoy learning. But the things I learn I just can't put into words in a way that makes me sound knowledgeable. So that is the problem I've always had when I have tried to write on blogs or websites.

But the things I learn I just can't put into words in a way that makes me sound knowledgeable. So that is the problem I've always had when I have tried to write on blogs or websites.

It seems like marketing is actually a kryptonite for you, but you still have a desire to share your interests, and you wish you could share your interests for a living. But you can't, because it comes out dull. Why not get a job writing. Then you can learn and share, but you don't have to rely on holding people's interests.

It seems like marketing is actually a kryptonite for you, but you still have a desire to share your interests, and you wish you could share your interests for a living. But you can't, because it comes out dull. Why not get a job writing. Then you can learn and share, but you don't have to rely on holding people's interests.

But you DO have to be a compelling writer to write, where could I write where all I had to do was say "This book is amazing, read it!" lol I've even hard a hard time reviewing things, I had a website once where I described my favorite music and as much as I love music down to my core, for the life of me I couldn't review music.

But you DO have to be a compelling writer to write, where could I write where all I had to do was say "This book is amazing, read it!" lol I've even hard a hard time reviewing things, I had a website once where I described my favorite music and as much as I love music down to my core, for the life of me I couldn't review music.

Yes and no. Your writing is technically correct--good grammar, good punctuation, etc. For some things, like technical writing, that's all you need. Technical writing, descriptive writing, proofreading/editing--these are all things that you can do from home, and the less gimmicky they are, the better.

Yes and no. Your writing is technically correct--good grammar, good punctuation, etc. For some things, like technical writing, that's all you need. Technical writing, descriptive writing, proofreading/editing--these are all things that you can do from home, and the less gimmicky they are, the better.

If I lose interest doing things I love, how could I NOT lose interest doing things I have no interest in to begin with?

If I lose interest doing things I love, how could I NOT lose interest doing things I have no interest in to begin with?

Of course you could lose interest in the things you don't love, but you need to make an income, right?

Or maybe I read the title of this thread wrong.

Are we talking about eliminating marketing, or are we talking about making money doing exactly what you want to do at all times?

If you believe writing might be your thing especially technical writing or descriptive for a client my sense is you will need at least a college degree to get hired to do more than type and maybe proof someone else’s written work - and I mean proof in a secretarial role. There are many English and liberal arts and journalism majors who get writing jobs either as interns during college or after. I just don’t think you can compete with no degree and no real experience. So if you really think that is what you are skilled in - and they wouldn’t surprise me at all from reading your posts - then put aside all your negativity about the accomplishment of a college degree and invest in yourself and in your writing.

At 40+ years old, she can compete with college graduates. Especially if her writing is what it is, which is technically good. He writing can speak for itself. She just needs to submit a couple samples (and avoid submitting op-ed). She doesn't need to make top dollar (which English majors rarely make, anyway); she just needs to cover the bills. If she needs to feel like she has a college degree, community college will almost certainly suffice. You wouldn't believe me if I told you how far my sister has gotten career-wise with a handful of community college classes and no college degree. It would probably make most college graduates depressed.

I really don't understand you. Maybe it's because you are banking on an inheritance , and that's not something that ever crossed my mind as a possibility) - but aren't you even a little bit scared of having to go back to a factory job on your feet for 12 hours on end ? I mean, if you don't hustle now, and your money runs dry , that's something you could be facing right?

I've done the physically demanding work. The motivation to work on my other things came exactly from not wanting to be that older person still doing physical work even when they are crippled up because they have to. I get that part - not wanting to do that again.

But isn't that your fire under your butt to work doing things you don't want to now to reach a time where you can spend more and more time camping while tending what you've been growing ( a business, a career, education, investments, etc) ?

My dream is not so different than yours, I just don't get 'live for the day' when it's about robbing your very own future of being comfortable and 'free' .

I think about if I hadn't 'hoarded money' as you call it . I would not have been able to take a hiatus from working to be there full time when she was ill and support her in her wish to be in her home.

What we are talking about here is longer term planning and goal setting. Maybe it's not 'against your values'. Maybe you just need to work on those skills as they may be weak?

Just my humble thoughts.

Of course you could lose interest in the things you don't love, but you need to make an income, right?

Or maybe I read the title of this thread wrong.

Are we talking about eliminating marketing, or are we talking about making money doing exactly what you want to do at all times?

Yes I need to make an income but why not make it doing something I love so there is a higher chance of me sticking to it?

And yes we're talking about eliminating marketing, and yes we're talking about making money doing what I want to do, they're different aspects of the same goal.

If you believe writing might be your thing especially technical writing or descriptive for a client my sense is you will need at least a college degree to get hired to do more than type and maybe proof someone else’s written work - and I mean proof in a secretarial role. There are many English and liberal arts and journalism majors who get writing jobs either as interns during college or after. I just don’t think you can compete with no degree and no real experience. So if you really think that is what you are skilled in - and they wouldn’t surprise me at all from reading your posts - then put aside all your negativity about the accomplishment of a college degree and invest in yourself and in your writing.

I didn't say I wanted to do technical writing, someone else suggested it but I said I want to at least do something I am interested in so there is a better chance of me sticking to it. And yeah college is out of the question because of reasons I've already explained. I am not sure now if writing is a feasible option for me. If there was a job where I could have conversations with people about my interests, well then THAT I could do, lol

At 40+ years old, she can compete with college graduates. Especially if her writing is what it is, which is technically good. He writing can speak for itself. She just needs to submit a couple samples (and avoid submitting op-ed). She doesn't need to make top dollar (which English majors rarely make, anyway); she just needs to cover the bills. If she needs to feel like she has a college degree, community college will almost certainly suffice. You wouldn't believe me if I told you how far my sister has gotten career-wise with a handful of community college classes and no college degree. It would probably make most college graduates depressed.

Well now you just gave me hope again, lol I would be ok with community college classes, I have already taken a few anyway. And you're right, I don't need a lot of money, honestly to be comfortable I only need about $25,000 a year.

I really don't understand you. Maybe it's because you are banking on an inheritance , and that's not something that ever crossed my mind as a possibility)

Why not? When people get inherited money it's theirs to do as they want with. Even my financial adviser is supportive of me doing this.

Like I said, I have no kids to leave my money to. I have the ability to be "selfish" with my time and money.

- but aren't you even a little bit scared of having to go back to a factory job on your feet for 12 hours on end ? I mean, if you don't hustle now, and your money runs dry , that's something you could be facing right?

I wouldn't say I'm scared to work in a factory again, I spent over 20 years doing it so at least it would be something I'm familiar with. I just don't think it's going to come to that. The only reason I have been working full time the last few years is because I needed health insurance, but then I found out I can get it actually CHEAPER than what I was paying when I had a job! It's easy to find a part time job, one that I would like. Many times over the years I have seen tons of part time jobs that would have been perfect for me. Well when I need one, i'll get one, if it comes to that. I will probably get one anyway after this summer, just so I am not going through my savings so quickly.

But isn't that your fire under your butt to work doing things you don't want to now to reach a time where you can spend more and more time camping while tending what you've been growing ( a business, a career, education, investments, etc) ?

My dream is not so different than yours, I just don't get 'live for the day' when it's about robbing your very own future of being comfortable and 'free' .

I guess my desire to live for today is stronger than my fear of having to get a full time factory job again, or any job, really.

I think about if I hadn't 'hoarded money' as you call it . I would not have been able to take a hiatus from working to be there full time when she was ill and support her in her wish to be in her home.

And that's great! I am just saying I dont want to waste the best years of my life, I would rather be forced to work as an elderly person than a young(er) one, if I even make it to being elderly.

What we are talking about here is longer term planning and goal setting. Maybe it's not 'against your values'. Maybe you just need to work on those skills as they may be weak?

Just my humble thoughts.

Maybe my planning and goal setting skills are weak because they go against my values, lol I don't regularly do those things, admittedly. I HAVE done them, but only when it's for something I am passionate about (like buying my camper, and taking time off from working). I think the reason I am running into resistance from people is because most people are living a scripted life, the conventional way of life that everyone is expected to live. So naturally, anything I do is going to get judged (or rather, I'M what gets judged). My biggest values in life are freedom, independence, and enjoyment. If I live like everyone else does, I won't enjoy freedom until I am too old to enjoy it, sure I'll have independence but I already have that now, and I won't enjoy anything because I'll be working until I'm 60 and then I'll probably start having health problems that will keep me from enjoying life anyway! Right now I am living all 3 of my values, but doing it the "normal" way I would only have one of them.

Yes. You’ve had a different experience. I’m not as versed in free lancing and I know most jobs that involve substantive writing require degree plus experience. But certainly a degree just to get your foot in the door. But she says she wants a job where she is paid to have conversations about what interests her. Obviously those exist for people who are paid to speak and discuss based on significant experience including academic accomplishments to add to the knowledge and credibility and value - I believe she was partially joking.

I also believe her age is a negative - younger people are often seen as more in tune with what’s going on and it’s not like she’s bringing years of experience to the table. When I started reentering the job market at age 48 I had 15 years in my field plus school plus 5 years in related jobs. And it still was hard at my age in a new city to get a job.

She says her value is “enjoyment”. To me that’s not a value - that’s a broad term and a feeling resulting from a positive experience. Seems to me she values doing as little as possible to make money to live on. That’s why I don’t understand why this isn’t just a simple matter of the OP finding odd jobs that result in her goal of 25k a year as she claims not to need savings. Someone who values “enjoyment” as one of her three values and has adamantly opposed most suggestions that involve sacrifice tells me that exploring in any depth what jobs would make her “happy “ is a nonstarter since she’s not willing to work hard to reach yet goal and views goal setting as inconsistent with freedom and independence. I see goal setting as conceit net with freedom and independence and often an essential part.

You say you have a few years before you run out of money. Well, in 25 years, living on $25K won't be the same as it is now.

If you think you will inherit mom's house, you are in for a rude awakening about how much you will have to pay in taxes and insurance and maintenance.

Do you understand that when mom passes away, the remainder of the mortgage, the next set of taxes and insurance will be due on the house. Then the taxes will be assessed higher when ownership is transferred, etc, then the expenses from her funeral come of the top --- then divided by two with your brother? What if mom has to take out an equity line or dip into savings if there is damage to the house? What if she goes to a nursing home and her savings must be gone through before medicare will kick in for her nursing home expenses? So there goes the money -- you usually can keep one residence sometimes, but that residence will have to be sold to pay for the funeral and such.

you need at least a part time job NOW so that you don't run out of money.

Yes. You’ve had a different experience. I’m not as versed in free lancing and I know most jobs that involve substantive writing require degree plus experience. But certainly a degree just to get your foot in the door. But she says she wants a job where she is paid to have conversations about what interests her. Obviously those exist for people who are paid to speak and discuss based on significant experience including academic accomplishments to add to the knowledge and credibility and value - I believe she was partially joking.

I also believe her age is a negative - younger people are often seen as more in tune with what’s going on and it’s not like she’s bringing years of experience to the table. When I started reentering the job market at age 48 I had 15 years in my field plus school plus 5 years in related jobs. And it still was hard at my age in a new city to get a job.

She says her value is “enjoyment”. To me that’s not a value - that’s a broad term and a feeling resulting from a positive experience. Seems to me she values doing as little as possible to make money to live on. That’s why I don’t understand why this isn’t just a simple matter of the OP finding odd jobs that result in her goal of 25k a year as she claims not to need savings. Someone who values “enjoyment” as one of her three values and has adamantly opposed most suggestions that involve sacrifice tells me that exploring in any depth what jobs would make her “happy “ is a nonstarter since she’s not willing to work hard to reach yet goal and views goal setting as inconsistent with freedom and independence. I see goal setting as conceit net with freedom and independence and often an essential part.

Unless you author a very popular blog that goes viral, you won't get hired for writing just because you like it. Many people dream of writing the great American novel. you either have to have a journalism degree or be an expert in your field. For example, a doctor with no journalism degree that specializes in a certain condition might be hired to write articles about it in a medical journal or even a general interest publication. If you ran a gardening center for 20 years, the local paper might accept your articles with tips on gardening, etc.

But she says she wants a job where she is paid to have conversations about what interests her. Obviously those exist for people who are paid to speak and discuss based on significant experience including academic accomplishments to add to the knowledge and credibility and value - I believe she was partially joking.

Yes I was joking because I've never heard of a job like that, but I meant just typing, not speaking, since it's writing I like to do, not talk, lol

She says her value is “enjoyment”. To me that’s not a value - that’s a broad term and a feeling resulting from a positive experience.

Well I should reword my values then, freedom, independence, and positive experience, lol And to get that, I have to enjoy my job or enjoy life, which I can't do if i don't enjoy my job.

Seems to me she values doing as little as possible to make money to live on. That’s why I don’t understand why this isn’t just a simple matter of the OP finding odd jobs that result in her goal of 25k a year as she claims not to need savings.

I will if i have to, but that still isn't ideal.

Someone who values “enjoyment” as one of her three values and has adamantly opposed most suggestions that involve sacrifice tells me that exploring in any depth what jobs would make her “happy “ is a nonstarter since she’s not willing to work hard to reach yet goal and views goal setting as inconsistent with freedom and independence. I see goal setting as conceit net with freedom and independence and often an essential part.

But I HAVE explored in depth what jobs would make me happy. I have had like 12 or 13 jobs in my life! I have also researched jobs to death, and tried some online stuff. I don't know how I could do any more exploring than I already am.

You say you have a few years before you run out of money. Well, in 25 years, living on $25K won't be the same as it is now.

I'll retire in 15 years, not 25, huge difference! And time/inflation hasn't seemed to make a difference where I live anyway, you just have to go where it's cheaper. That's why I moved to this town I'm in now. My cost of living is WAY lower than it used to be. Unless there is some type of apocalypse that changes everything, I am certain I will still be able to get by on $25,000 a year. If I have to, I'll live in a van, or in an eco village, those are 2 options I've been contemplating.

If you think you will inherit mom's house, you are in for a rude awakening about how much you will have to pay in taxes and insurance and maintenance.

Those things aren't going to be that much, only a few thousand a year at the MOST. And if me and my brother are sharing it, even less for each of us. But I wouldn't live there if i could help it, so far the deal is he will probably live there (because he kinda sorta still does=long story) and he would just pay me my half, which would probably be at least $100,000.

Do you understand that when mom passes away, the remainder of the mortgage, the next set of taxes and insurance will be due on the house.

The house has been paid off for a long time. And like I said, taxes and insurance aren't going to be that much.

Then the taxes will be assessed higher when ownership is transferred, etc, then the expenses from her funeral come of the top --- then divided by two with your brother? What if mom has to take out an equity line or dip into savings if there is damage to the house? What if she goes to a nursing home and her savings must be gone through before medicare will kick in for her nursing home expenses? So there goes the money -- you usually can keep one residence sometimes, but that residence will have to be sold to pay for the funeral and such.

All this sounds like a worst case scenario. When my dad was ill for years before he died, Medicare covered most things, and what he had left in his bank account covered the funeral and other medical costs. Me and my brother split the money from his house and got insurance money too, so we definitely didn't have any problems like what you are saying is going to happen with my mom.

you need at least a part time job NOW so that you don't run out of money.

I probably will get one after the summer. But then I'll have less time to work on earning money myself. That is when I was going to actually start something.

Unless you author a very popular blog that goes viral, you won't get hired for writing just because you like it. Many people dream of writing the great American novel. you either have to have a journalism degree or be an expert in your field. For example, a doctor with no journalism degree that specializes in a certain condition might be hired to write articles about it in a medical journal or even a general interest publication. If you ran a gardening center for 20 years, the local paper might accept your articles with tips on gardening, etc.

Yeah, that's the unfortunate reality. Well all I can do is educate myself for as cheaply as I can and do the best I can.

Sometimes, when I’m driving home, my gas light comes on. Every time I think “I can deal with that tomorrow”

Let me tell you. Tomorrow me is never happy that yesterday me put it off.

But today you will be happy if you put it off, and there's no guarantee you'll even experience tomorrow.

Good luck working factories when you’re elderly.

Do you say that as if it will be hard to do? I have worked with many elderly people in the factories I've worked at. All of them had easier jobs than I've ever done.

And at least if I end up back in another factory someday, at least I won't have the regret of not knowing what would have happened if I had quit my job to enjoy life for a while and gave myself a chance to earn money my own way.

Well now you just gave me hope again, lol I would be ok with community college classes, I have already taken a few anyway. And you're right, I don't need a lot of money, honestly to be comfortable I only need about $25,000 a year.

Yes! It's really not that complicated. You just have to go knocking on some doors.

Archived