How can I earn a living working online without having to do marketing?

It's all well and good to have insubordinate thinking, dare to be different, etc. And if that person wants to earn a living that person often makes sacrifices and compromises (like the actresses who are servers and barristas, for example) - it's all well and good to rant about working for a large company, or making sweeping generalizations about how humans are sheep-like at school, and that's not going to pay the bills nor is it really contributing to your own growth or to the world. Certainly rebels who are out there trying to make a difference in what they see is wrong - I may not agree - but I see them out there working to make a change in a positive-it's impressive whether or not I agree. Much of what she has written is interesting and motivated far more by wanting an excuse than wanting to make a change. Perhaps she will channel that energy to effect a positive change in all she sees wrong with the world.

Nobody is going to change the entire world to make it how I want it, I can only change my life in relation to society. There are people who have quit working, even quit using money as a currency. They have found ways to do it, and I will too.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you don't need money asap why not decide what your passion is and do it as an avocation? For example volunteer at someplace that aligns with your interests [organic community garden, eco-friendly, whatever, etc] and see if you like it before you dump money into a start-up that you eventually hate.

I am going to do that. That is part of why I needed to quit my job in order to figure this out, so I have the time.

You continue to pass them off as excuses so we will never see eye to eye on this. And also, my goal will be changed if I approached it from your perspective. It's MY goal so I have to achieve it MY way.

Well, no not in the least and I'm not sure where you got that from what I wrote. You've written very little about how you plan to approach your goal and yet you started this thread asking for input and as others have pointed out, proceeded to shoot down almost every suggestion especially those that involved you getting up in the morning, or getting a vocational degree, etc.

You've written a great deal about what is wrong with society, what you see as obstacles that are not within your control or choice, and lots of "can't" statements. Maybe I'm missing something but I've not seen you talk about what you are doing to reach your goal aside from trying out classes (which as you've written aren't really relevant to your goal). Certainly the volunteer work is a great idea if you can afford to work for free and if you're willing to volunteer even if you're needed when you'd prefer to be sleeping in.

I'm not sure how your goal would change at all if you had a can-do attitude, if you took accountability and responsibility for what you claim are out of your control, and if you chose not to rely on a future inheritance you may or may not get. For example. Of course you are entitled to have a goal that without a college degree, with limited work hours, with only working from home, without working for a corporation or company, with limited marketing and advertising, with no past experience related to your current goals, you can find a job that you love and that doesn't feel like working. It reminds me of when my friend's daughter was a teenager and she said her life's dream was to be a back up dancer for Britney Spears. She'd never danced before. (She is now a happily married stay at home mom of 2 young children -she never danced professionally or otherwise).

Obviously you're entitled to have any goal you want just as she was. And you asked for input in your thread which is why I gave it.- you can try to turn it on me and claim that I disagree with your goal. I don't. I disagree that you can attain it given all you've written of what you're not willing to do. Good luck with your approach and it seems to me you may not have wanted input as much as validation that you could attain your goal without having to do marketing and while working exclusively at home, on line and on your own time schedule. I don't think you much liked when you were given opinions to the contrary. I know it can be hard to hear different opinions and actually consider them in a genuine way.

Nobody is going to change the entire world to make it how I want it, I can only change my life in relation to society. There are people who have quit working, even quit using money as a currency. They have found ways to do it, and I will too.

Of course there are. And there are people who win the lottery, too. I think you can achieve what you want. And IMO you are getting in your own way in a myriad of ways which will present obstacles and self-sabotage. I personally have never heard of someone putting up as many roadblocks as you to the type of goal you have and attaining that goal. Certainly I've seen people attain goals that seemed unreachable because they rolled up their sleeves and worked hard and had a positive attitude and made a multitude of sacrifices and compromises. I have a feeling the people who have attained the goals you outline have done all of those things and then some.

The volunteer work sounds like a great plan if you can afford to work for free. I'd considered that when I was looking to reenter the workplace and did some of it for networking purposes.

And it seems your goal changes a lot -is it the title of your thread, still - making a living working online from home without having to do marketing? Yes, it is definitely possible. I think in your case it's a remote possibility based on what you wrote you are not willing to do. But, again, winning the lottery is a very remote possibility and people do win!

Well, no not in the least and I'm not sure where you got that from what I wrote.

You've written very little about how you plan to approach your goal - you've written a great deal about what is wrong with society, what you see as obstacles that are not within your control or choice, and lots of "can't" statements. Maybe I'm missing something but I've not seen you talk about what you are doing to reach your goal aside from trying out classes (which as you've written aren't really relevant to your goal). I'm not sure how your goal would change at all if you had a can-do attitude, if you took accountability and responsibility for what you claim are out of your control, and if you chose not to rely on a future inheritance you may or may not get. For example. Of course you are entitled to have a goal that without a college degree, with limited work hours, with only working from home, without working for a corporation or company, with limited marketing and advertising, with no past experience related to your current goals, you can find a job that you love and that doesn't feel like working.

I have a different approach to goals, I guess. I mean I do research a LOT and try things, but my view is that if something is a struggle, it isn't meant to be. If you're in a relationship that is full of doubt, worry, stress, and conflict, you wouldn't say "maybe we just have to do the grunt work for a few years until it starts to be successful". I view everything in life where it should flow naturally, THAT is when you know you're onto something. So, my steps to my goal involve research and trial and error, and I just was recommended a book called "How to gets lots of money for anything fast" and supposedly almost all of the people who use this system succeed.

It reminds me of when my friend's daughter was a teenager and she said her life's dream was to be a back up dancer for Britney Spears. She'd never danced before. (She is now a happily married stay at home mom of 2 young children -she never danced professionally or otherwise). Obviously you're entitled to have any goal you want just as she was. And you asked for input in your thread which is why I gave it. Good luck!

I don't think that is too lofty of a goal, someone has to be her backup dancer, lol

"How to gets lots of money for anything fast" and supposedly almost all of the people who use this system succeed.

This is where I disagree. Lots of money and fast don't go together. Period. Even when we are talking about illegal money. The person who wrote that book is a con who is pandering to people's weaknesses.

I have a different approach to goals, I guess. I mean I do research a LOT and try things, but my view is that if something is a struggle, it isn't meant to be. If you're in a relationship that is full of doubt, worry, stress, and conflict, you wouldn't say "maybe we just have to do the grunt work for a few years until it starts to be successful". I view everything in life where it should flow naturally, THAT is when you know you're onto something. So, my steps to my goal involve research and trial and error, and I just was recommended a book called "How to gets lots of money for anything fast" and supposedly almost all of the people who use this system succeed.

I don't think that is too lofty of a goal, someone has to be her backup dancer, lol

I mean struggle in the sense of rolling up your sleeves and working hard, persevering despite obstacles, all with a positive attitude. I agree with you that a romantic relationship that is full of doubts or -heaven forbid -violence - etc is not a struggle that's worth it. I am talking about facing your fears, getting out of your comfort zone, challenging yourself, challenging the negativity that makes you (the general you) get in your own way - that kind of thing. I don't think goals like yours (or mine) ever come easy to most people. But no I am not talking about the kind of "struggle" you are talking about.

Flowing naturally doesn't mean you sit back and go through a car wash, passively. I also agree that the struggle that comes from knowing something is bad for you -whether it is a work environment, people who are around you - then your body and mind know for sure that the "struggle" will require you to go against your values ,to take unhealthy actions - of course that's not the struggle I'm referring to.

When I push myself every morning to do my power walk -and it is often a push for a myriad of reasons - at some point it flows naturally - my body feels the flow, it feels natural to sweat, natural to work all my muscles. But getting to that point requires me motivating myself, making sure I have my daily routine in place to make it happen, making sacrifices to make sure that i reach my goal of getting that done every single day for my physical and mental health, even when I am tired, even when I am solo parenting and have to do a rather boring DVD workout instead of walking outside in the fresh air., even when it's pouring rain or cold or whatever. And i always feel rewarded, and good, and natural and accomplished. And it helps my body and mind flow naturally. That's one little example of what I mean by struggle -by rolling up your sleeves and getting it done.

Please don't confuse "flow naturally" with "it can't require hard work or me pushing myself to make it happen". Often with the negativity you have portrayed in this thread, the "I can't" followed by so many examples -you are impeding the natural flow. The natural flow can't happen when you're in that negative comfort zone IMHO.

Lord, I forgot almost everything haha.

But right after the exam? (That's what was written). I just started rereading Jane Eyre but to be honest I cannot remember whether I had to read it in college or just parts of it, so there you go.

I have a friend who's done the online work from home thing for over 20 years- and his wife as well. Apparently they make a good living. He is constantly switching methods -he's done bitcoins, multi level marketing of various types and he's been at his current gig for almost a year now which he claims is easy money and of course has come up with a training program he charges a fee for. He is legit in every way -when I dated him many years ago he worked for a sweepstakes company and was an avid gambler. He didn't like working for corporate america and didn't graduate college. To me just based on his Facebook posts he is on the right side of legal/legit/ethics but my sense is he works a lot harder than he says he does and is very very focused on money making (which is not part of my values and especially not making money in the way he does). So he does claim to make all his money working on line at home, he claims to sleep when he feels like it, etc. My sense is his latest business will fail because the laws concerning it are getting stricter. I have never been involved with any of his businesses and would never go near them despite believing that he is on the right side of ethical - it doesn't take much for those online opportunities to implode or go from legal to illegal in my vicarious experience. But, yes, he has made his living online but is constantly trying to sell his current business model on Facebook and online. So he is doing the hard sell for sure.

How? Almost every chance I get I am working on figuring out what to do.

This thread started 6 days ago and there are now 14 pages of discussion. Every day that I get home from work, the pages have grown and there is recent activity on the thread. Really what you are doing is parrying opinions and beliefs about jobs. That is a past time. It is not "working." There is a very remote chance that a dream job will find its way to you through the microscopic window of acceptability that you've created. If that happens, it won't be the result of work.

But right after the exam? (That's what was written). I just started rereading Jane Eyre but to be honest I cannot remember whether I had to read it in college or just parts of it, so there you go.

Actually, if I'm not fluent in the subject and the exam is just a hurdle I have to get through: yes, I do blank out. I don't go there again because there's nothing there for me. But there are usually some parts that do stick with me. These are usually useful things that are applicable to my life in some way. But the extraneous information I abandon as soon as possible. And there's lots of it!

Oh wow.

If you struggle you think it’s not worth it???

What do you think about doctors, lawyers, engineers?

Anyone who works hard on a project?

All those English degrees pounding out essays???

I just was recommended a book called "How to gets lots of money for anything fast" and supposedly almost all of the people who use this system succeed.

Ok. . Here's one example of making money with little effort. This author wrote the book for people who are looking for a short cut. But he's the one making money with little effort because it wouldn't exist if people out there, much like yourself didn't buy it. Meanwhile he's laughing all the way to the bank. The rest of you are out $23.

This is where I disagree. Lots of money and fast don't go together. Period. Even when we are talking about illegal money. The person who wrote that book is a con who is pandering to people's weaknesses.

No he isn't a con, his coaching program has a 100% success rate. By fast he doesn't mean overnight, but definitely in the near future.

No he isn't a con, his coaching program has a 100% success rate. By fast he doesn't mean overnight, but definitely in the near future.

Obviously if that was true in any way there would be no way for all the other MLM or make money easily schemes to survive. I thought you said you wanted to find something you were passionate about to make a living at. If you do his system how is it that you’ll achieve the goal you said you had. Even if it works then it’s all about making money not about doing something you love that also pays the bills. If your question is “how can I make a living using a get rich quick scheme” the answer is you can if you come up with the scheme and get people to pay you $23 for your system. But then you’d have to do the marketing you claim you loathe. And of course money set aside for the inevitable legal fees when you get sued or harassed by people who paid you and then it didn’t work. If you truly believe his system works so you can make an honest living then you have bigger issues than finding your passion.

A book I recommend is What Color is your parachute ”. I’ve heard it’s wonderful and addresses what you say you want to find.

Flowing naturally doesn't mean you sit back and go through a car wash, passively. I also agree that the struggle that comes from knowing something is bad for you -whether it is a work environment, people who are around you - then your body and mind know for sure that the "struggle" will require you to go against your values ,to take unhealthy actions - of course that's not the struggle I'm referring to.

Well that IS the kind of struggle I have endured my whole working life. Like I could literally feel my body resisting even walking into the building. I could feel my body giving me symptoms that something wasn't right. I have even had recurring dreams about it. It was like I was being shown what I was doing wasn't working. But I had no choice but to keep trudging on. Fatigue and stress wear down on you after so many months and I had years of it. This reminds me, just an hour ago I saw an article saying that people over 40 start to lose their cognitive ability after working more than 25 hours a week, due to fatigue and stress. We are expected to push and push until we get hurt, get sick, and get depressed...and when some of us speak out against it, we get told we just have to struggle like everyone else. I know life isn't fair, but we have to open up our eyes to when we are being mistreated.

When I push myself every morning to do my power walk -and it is often a push for a myriad of reasons - at some point it flows naturally - my body feels the flow, it feels natural to sweat, natural to work all my muscles. But getting to that point requires me motivating myself, making sure I have my daily routine in place to make it happen, making sacrifices to make sure that i reach my goal of getting that done every single day for my physical and mental health, even when I am tired, even when I am solo parenting and have to do a rather boring DVD workout instead of walking outside in the fresh air., even when it's pouring rain or cold or whatever. And i always feel rewarded, and good, and natural and accomplished. And it helps my body and mind flow naturally. That's one little example of what I mean by struggle -by rolling up your sleeves and getting it done.

I get what you're saying, it takes motivation to move, literally and figuratively, in most things in life. That's what momentum is for, it helps you keep going and makes things easier once you start. But what if you start and you're going and for whatever reason, your momentum is just gone? That's when something is telling you to stop, and you should listen.

Maybe you should be a writer. This thread of yours is currently featured top of this website's home page, and top of the list on the Buzz tab. That's a bit like marketing.

That's a good point.

OP, you are actually very persuasive at anti-selling yourself. Also persistent in your efforts to convince us why you "can't" do this, that or the other.

If that's not marketing I don't know what is.

This thread started 6 days ago and there are now 14 pages of discussion. Every day that I get home from work, the pages have grown and there is recent activity on the thread. Really what you are doing is parrying opinions and beliefs about jobs. That is a past time. It is not "working." There is a very remote chance that a dream job will find its way to you through the microscopic window of acceptability that you've created. If that happens, it won't be the result of work.

I never claimed I was working. And you're expecting me to post about a problem and have a solution and be working within 6 days!? I am not even planning to start anything until fall because I have a bunch of festivals and camping trips all summer long that I am going to enjoy while I can.

Oh wow.

If you struggle you think it’s not worth it???

What do you think about doctors, lawyers, engineers?

Anyone who works hard on a project?

All those English degrees pounding out essays???

Working hard does not mean they are struggling if they like what they are doing. And if they are struggling as in suffering, they shouldn't be doing that job.

Ok. . Here's one example of making money with little effort. This author wrote the book for people who are looking for a short cut. But he's the one making money with little effort because it wouldn't exist if people out there, much like yourself didn't buy it. Meanwhile he's laughing all the way to the bank. The rest of you are out $23.

It's not $23, it's $120. And it isn't a short cut. The results just happen quickly because you have retrained your subconscious to work for you instead of against you.

Obviously if that was true in any way there would be no way for all the other MLM or make money easily schemes to survive.

What does his book have to do with MLM schemes?

I thought you said you wanted to find something you were passionate about to make a living at. If you do his system how is it that you’ll achieve the goal you said you had.

You can achieve ANY goal you have, even supposedly impossible ones. There is a different method depending on how difficult your goal is to achieve.

Even if it works then it’s all about making money not about doing something you love that also pays the bills. If your question is “how can I make a living using a get rich quick scheme” the answer is you can if you come up with the scheme and get people to pay you $23 for your system. But then you’d have to do the marketing you claim you loathe. And of course money set aside for the inevitable legal fees when you get sued or harassed by people who paid you and then it didn’t work. If you truly believe his system works so you can make an honest living then you have bigger issues than finding your passion.

It's not $23, I dont know where people are getting that from, it's $120. And although the title says make a lot of MONEY fast, the method has nothing to do with money, it can help you achieve ANY goal, related to any part of your life. I would use it to either find work that I love, or to somehow not need to work at all, either one is fine with me really.

A book I recommend is What Color is your parachute ”. I’ve heard it’s wonderful and addresses what you say you want to find.

I have that book, I bought it about 10 years ago. Apparently it didn't help me, lol Those types of books are everywhere and I have tons of them, they are really all the same. My problem is not that I don't know what my passions are (all 10-15 of them, lol), it's that I still have yet to find a specific job that fits me.

Maybe you should be a writer. This thread of yours is currently featured top of this website's home page, and top of the list on the Buzz tab. That's a bit like marketing.

lol I know you are being facetious, but writing has always been the thing I come back to as what could be the most viable option. The only class I was good in in school was English/Grammar/Spelling, and ever since I was 10 years old I have written poems, not so much anymore but for most of my life I wrote poems and was even published in the National Library of Poetry and a literary book called Water & Light. This was 20 years ago though. Since then I have tried writing on blogs and websites but that's when I realized I would run out of things to say quick, and it became a chore and felt like work doing all the techy stuff. That is why one option that I really think might work is just doing freelance writing, just taking assignments here and there. That way I only have to write about a subject once. However, I wonder if I would just keep repeating myself all the time. It might work, it might not.

That's a good point.

OP, you are actually very persuasive at anti-selling yourself. Also persistent in your efforts to convince us why you "can't" do this, that or the other.

If that's not marketing I don't know what is.

lol but it's the OPPOSITE of marketing. I haven't been persuasive enough about getting anyone to see my point though, so I don't know if the problem is nobody will respect what I say or if everyone in here is really that closed minded.

and it became a chore and felt like work doing all the techy stuff.
This is your problem. Even if you love your job, after a while it is monotonous and tedious. This is something you have to accept. Every day life doesn't involve fun and excitement all the time . I mean, if you expect to feel/live like Gordon Gekko, it is not going to happen. Heck, even sex will be like a chore if you do it for hours every day(ok that was an exaggeration - sex is always fun lol )

You are good at writing. Pursue it. Consider yourself lucky, most people do not have any talent.

As for the 120 dollars for the book,oh boy, the writer knows how to make money fast. ..

Archived