How can I earn a living working online without having to do marketing?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not buying that you don't want to do "marketing" because of your values/lifestyle -because the people I know with a strong work ethic and strong ethical values simply draw the line at doing certain types of marketing and advertising (and almost everyone I know -including myself - draw the line somewhere because of values -meaning, even if you don't have particular religious leanings that are more extreme or -as you describe yourself -a more extreme commitment to a hippie lifestyle). That's where I get the impression that you are justifying your unwillingness to get out there and hustle based on "values" when there's another reason -it's hard, it's challenging, it requires time (and time is money). I have a family member in her 70s who does Reiki and she is very artsy, hippy, liberal, you name it - and you can bet she knows she's not going to make any $ with her business without advertising her talents on Facebook, on her website, holding free seminars, etc - and I know she is talented and also know her to be a lovely person. She is not trying to "convince" people who otherwise would have no interest in Reiki or her healing talents - not in the negative way you say or put it. I am not interested in it but I do know that if a friend were struggling with a physical or mental ailment and I thought reiki would help, I would refer her and that's in part because she advertises on Facebook - because I remember her name, her talents, etc. Which in my busy life I might forget if it wasn't in my face on a regular basis.

So get to the root of your real issues with doing sales in an effective way. I did sales for a some years out of my career. (been working almost 20 years in my current career and prior to that about 3 in two other capacities). I don't anymore and would prefer never to again but that's because of my lifestyle raising a child and because I don't want to spend the nights/weekends doing sales/marketing stuff. But I would if I had to to make a living/provide for my family. In a heartbeat.

I am not saying all marketing is negative, just the stuff I see, I guess apparently the majority of what I see are "rich famous" gurus who suck you in with how amazing and easy their program is to earn money and then at the end they hit you with the price tag and it's nothing any normal person can afford. Of course people who are trying to heal you actually care about you and aren't going to be a sleazy salesman about it. I know there are different levels of that. I just see WAY more of the bad kind.

I am admitting that part of why I don't want to do marketing is because of the actual steps to it. I have done them before and that is a huge reason why I lost motivation and interest. And why I know now that I am not cut out for anything where I have to sell something.

You've rejected all suggestions so far. Do you really want to find fulfilling work?

I only reject suggestions that I have tried and found they aren't a good fit for me. Of course I want to find fulfilling work, I've always been envious of people who loved their jobs, I didnt think it was even possible.

What are your talents?

Ehhh...typing fast? lol My "talents" have so far pretty much been whatever I needed to do at all my previous jobs, but they aren't transferable to other jobs. I am good at organizing things, if you can call that a talent.

What are your interests?

I have almost too many, lol I can't just pick one to focus on to make a career out of. My interests are; photography, cooking, road trips, healthy food, herbs, music festivals, documentaries, books, hiking, spirituality, permaculture, gardening,...I know there's more but I am tired right now, can't think so well, lol

Have you talked to a career counselor?

Only in high school, but back then I didnt want to have to pick a career, I had no idea what I wanted to be.

Why do you have to work online to earn a living?

Well conventional jobs haven't worked out so well for me. I have never liked any of my jobs, my jobs were always the one thing about my entire life that always prevented me from being totally happy. I HATE having to be at a certain place for a certain number of hours a day and certain number of days a week, mindlessly performing tasks like a robot, getting treated like crap by bosses and having to deal with coworkers that didn't pull their weight and talked behind my back, not being free to enjoy life or take vacations longer than 2 days... F all that!!!

What exactly are you trying to sell? Art? lessons in something?

I only reject suggestions that I have tried and found they aren't a good fit for me. Of course I want to find fulfilling work, I've always been envious of people who loved their jobs, I didnt think it was even possible.

You can't try one thing one time and just give up. Getting the word out sometimes takes doing the same thing repeatedly. They say someone has to hear about or see something about something 3 times before it registers/they act on it if they are going to act on it.

Also, people who successfully sell a product figure out what it is that people want to buy. i know people that make art "for themselves" - heartfelt expressions that if someone buys them - great, if not, they were just art for art's sake and then they do commercial art - where they make things that people directly want to buy now - whether that's custom illustrations for wedding/baby announcements, etc, or whatever it is that is steadily purchased and sells based on their marketing, but also repeat business and word of mouth.

I think the problem also is that your friend at the art fair has a lot of talent and passion for what she does. You don't have any particular passion that you focus on - so therefore, when you are scattered and all over the place with no clear "message" to advertise -- it doesn't work. you need to find something that you are good at. You have a collection of general interests. Also, if you do end up doing something independently and don't get along with people or don't want to deal with the public, it will be a hard road.

Are you really good at gardening? Could you sell your vegetables at a farmer's market on the weekends? But then there will be the aggravation if there is drought or things don't work out perfectly every year.. there will always be something that does not go perfectly.....

What exactly are you trying to sell? Art? lessons in something?

No, I don't even have anything right now. I am still trying to figure out what kinds of work I want to do, what types of online businesses or jobs would be a good fit for me.

You can't try one thing one time and just give up. Getting the word out sometimes takes doing the same thing repeatedly. They say someone has to hear about or see something about something 3 times before it registers/they act on it if they are going to act on it.

Also, people who successfully sell a product figure out what it is that people want to buy. i know people that make art "for themselves" - heartfelt expressions that if someone buys them - great, if not, they were just art for art's sake and then they do commercial art - where they make things that people directly want to buy now - whether that's custom illustrations for wedding/baby announcements, etc, or whatever it is that is steadily purchased and sells based on their marketing, but also repeat business and word of mouth.

I think trying one thing once and moving along to try other things is how we find out what we want and dont want in a career. If I didn't try things, I would always be wondering if I would have liked it. You can't find things you like until you know what you don't like.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to stick to anything that I didn't love doing, or at least love most of the aspects about it. That is why I'm not a photographer because most photographers make money by either 2 things, doing weddings, or travelling the world. I dont like taking pictures of people, only nature, and I don't want to leave my country at all. So I know I would be unhappy doing either of those things even though I love photography. It's also why even though I love to cook, I don't want to work in a resteraunt because they use the same recipes over and over and you can't be creative, and you have to deal with food safety. It takes all the fun out of the actual act of cooking.

No, I don't even have anything right now. I am still trying to figure out what kinds of work I want to do, what types of online businesses or jobs would be a good fit for me.

I think trying one thing once and moving along to try other things is how we find out what we want and dont want in a career. If I didn't try things, I would always be wondering if I would have liked it. You can't find things you like until you know what you don't like.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to stick to anything that I didn't love doing, or at least love most of the aspects about it. That is why I'm not a photographer because most photographers make money by either 2 things, doing weddings, or travelling the world. I dont like taking pictures of people, only nature, and I don't want to leave my country at all. So I know I would be unhappy doing either of those things even though I love photography. It's also why even though I love to cook, I don't want to work in a resteraunt because they use the same recipes over and over and you can't be creative, and you have to deal with food safety. It takes all the fun out of the actual act of cooking.

Well --- if you don't know what you want to create art wise you are not an artist - because people who are artists will natural create things all the time regardless of an audience. My niece is always sketching, sculpting - you name it, alll the time, every day. There are photographers that make money working for ad agencies shooting products for sales fliers, etc. But you can't just come off the street. You have to have credentials and connections. and you need a lot of work ethic in any of those fields whether you work for yourself or someone else.

but no - you need to stick with something for awhile to develop your skills. you are not 5 years old where you should try everything once. You have to decide to do something, get the training and see it through until you are successful financially enough to afford to be able to do something else.

I think the problem also is that your friend at the art fair has a lot of talent and passion for what she does. You don't have any particular passion that you focus on - so therefore, when you are scattered and all over the place with no clear "message" to advertise -- it doesn't work. you need to find something that you are good at. You have a collection of general interests. Also, if you do end up doing something independently and don't get along with people or don't want to deal with the public, it will be a hard road.

Oh I totally agree, and while I am trying to find a system that would work for me, I am also simultaneously trying to find an interest that would work good as a career path for me. There are almost too many options, really. If I choose one, then I'll never have time to dabble in any of the other ones, nor would I know what would have been if i had chose a different one instead. I have always been envious of people who only cared about one thing, then half the battle is over, there would be no doubt in your mind what you were born to do. With having such a wide variety of interests and hobbies, there is no clear path and I can't focus on any of them.

Are you really good at gardening? Could you sell your vegetables at a farmer's market on the weekends? But then there will be the aggravation if there is drought or things don't work out perfectly every year.. there will always be something that does not go perfectly.....

Actually I'm not good at it, because I've never owned land to garden on, I've always had to grow in pots which is not as good. But because I have always had to work so many hours, I was never able to devote much time to it, and many times I would be so busy with work I would forget to water them. In order to be really good at something you need to have time to actually do it. And when you're working, you don't. At least I never did. Most of the jobs I've had were 10-12 hours a day which doesn't leave much time for taking care of errands and housework, let alone doing any gardening.

Well --- if you don't know what you want to create art wise you are not an artist - because people who are artists will natural create things all the time regardless of an audience. My niece is always sketching, sculpting - you name it, alll the time, every day. There are photographers that make money working for ad agencies shooting products for sales fliers, etc. But you can't just come off the street. You have to have credentials and connections. and you need a lot of work ethic in any of those fields whether you work for yourself or someone else.

Oh I know i'm not an artist, I don't even want to be. I've never had an interest in it. And yeah you need credentials and connections for almost every career out there. I am one of those people (in the minority for sure) who thinks the education system is BS and I have always been against college. So I never went to college (never had money for it anyway, neither did my parents). Straight out of high school my dad forced me to get a job in a factory, and by forced I mean he was a supervisor there and he literally scheduled an interview for me before I even knew he did it. So I suffered there for 18 years before they laid me off. And then it's just been one miserable job after another, only instead of settling, I kept trying different jobs, in hopes that something wouldn't feel like torture.

but no - you need to stick with something for awhile to develop your skills. you are not 5 years old where you should try everything once. You have to decide to do something, get the training and see it through until you are successful financially enough to afford to be able to do something else.

I don't believe that adults can't try things if they want, it doesn't mean they're acting like they're 5. We should never stop growing and exploring new things. That is how people become stagnant and lose the spark for life and just let themselves die a slow apathetic death. Also if you find things aren't a good fit for you, the only way to find something that is is to keep trying.

Well, maybe its time that you go to school. Not a 4 year college - but some sort of vocational program to help you get a job that is something more suited to you. There are a lot of people who work in a factory just fine - but if you don't want to - either find out what skills you need to get a different type of job at the factory that is more suited to you - or something completely different. go back to the factory if you can to set aside what you need to do that or get whatever job you can around a class schedule. you might find that welding (very very lucrative), a horticulture program (jobs arent high money but maybe you would be happy) or even something else.

i don't mean adults shouldn't always try something new --- take a cooking class, go on a trip but when it comes to your career -- doing something for a couple weeks and writing it off - you really maybe need to spend some time getting some additional skills so you don't bounce around

Well, maybe its time that you go to school. Not a 4 year college - but some sort of vocational program to help you get a job that is something more suited to you. There are a lot of people who work in a factory just fine - but if you don't want to - either find out what skills you need to get a different type of job at the factory that is more suited to you - or something completely different. go back to the factory if you can to set aside what you need to do that or get whatever job you can around a class schedule. you might find that welding (very very lucrative), a horticulture program (jobs arent high money but maybe you would be happy) or even something else.

i don't mean adults shouldn't always try something new --- take a cooking class, go on a trip but when it comes to your career -- doing something for a couple weeks and writing it off - you really maybe need to spend some time getting some additional skills so you don't bounce around

Great advice (and other great advice here). I think the reason you don't have fulfilling work leading to a career is you getting in your own way. You telling yourself how bad marketing is and how education is BS, etc etc - that's not values, it's just plain ole negativity and not wanting to roll up your sleeves and work hard and stick to something. Most people are not totally fulfilled by their jobs and IMO if someone is mostly fulfilled in general -that's like winning the lottery. And of course people pursue activities and hobbies that won't make them $ but that balance out the need for fulfillment in life stuff. And, fulfilling work often requires years and years of less fulfilling work, grunt work and often years of education or training/vocational training, etc. I sense you wanting things to come easy -to be able to dabble in this job or that, this interest or that and end up with no solid resume to show a potential employer. Because stick-to-it-iveness is just as important as skills IMO. And I'm sorry you've had sucky bosses -we all have. Right now I adore my supervisors for the most part - and recognize that "adore" doesn't mean we're BFF - they are my boss, I am back to a much lower level of my work because of my 7 years being a full-time parent and I accept that. I'm just not seeing enough compromise or acceptance on your part and I find it all a bit unrealistic and a way for you to make excuses. And that's going to come through on interviews or when dealing with customers/clients.

I have taken classes, I took a cooking class, an online business class, a social media marketing class, a natural healing class, a photography class, and I am currently taking a homesteading class, a naturopathy class and an herbalism class. The problem is I just keep wanna taking classes because I love learning, and I feel like I need to take a class for every interest I have and I still get nowhere because I keep adding more classes!

Great advice (and other great advice here). I think the reason you don't have fulfilling work leading to a career is you getting in your own way. You telling yourself how bad marketing is and how education is BS, etc etc - that's not values, it's just plain ole negativity and not wanting to roll up your sleeves and work hard and stick to something. Most people are not totally fulfilled by their jobs and IMO if someone is mostly fulfilled in general -that's like winning the lottery. And of course people pursue activities and hobbies that won't make them $ but that balance out the need for fulfillment in life stuff. And, fulfilling work often requires years and years of less fulfilling work, grunt work and often years of education or training/vocational training, etc. I sense you wanting things to come easy -to be able to dabble in this job or that, this interest or that and end up with no solid resume to show a potential employer. Because stick-to-it-iveness is just as important as skills IMO. And I'm sorry you've had sucky bosses -we all have. Right now I adore my supervisors for the most part - and recognize that "adore" doesn't mean we're BFF - they are my boss, I am back to a much lower level of my work because of my 7 years being a full-time parent and I accept that. I'm just not seeing enough compromise or acceptance on your part and I find it all a bit unrealistic and a way for you to make excuses. And that's going to come through on interviews or when dealing with customers/clients.

Years and years of grunt work, well then I have paid my dues by now, I will be 46 soon! I spent 18 years at ONE job and ended up getting laid off. Where did years and years of grunt work get me then?

No, it doesn't come through in interviews, I have gotten every job I've had an interview for.

I mean, you can work only at things you want to do and only when you feel like working, but don't expect to have much in the way of income.

I don't need much anyway, my car is paid off, my trailer is paid off, my camper is paid off, my lot rent is only $285 a month, my health insurance is free, and I don't buy new things. I could get by just working part time.

I don't need much anyway, my car is paid off, my trailer is paid off, my camper is paid off, my lot rent is only $285 a month, my health insurance is free, and I don't buy new things. I could get by just working part time.

And what about retirement? Health insurance? A rainy day fund?

Years and years of grunt work, well then I have paid my dues by now, I will be 46 soon! I spent 18 years at ONE job and ended up getting laid off. Where did years and years of grunt work get me then?

No, it doesn't come through in interviews, I have gotten every job I've had an interview for.

Your post is consistent with my take on what's going on here. I meant, obviously (and you are smart, so you know what I meant, you just have an agenda) that to get what you want to do you have to do the grunt work that goes along with it - talk to any artist about the grunt work she had to do to get to do her art, for one of many examples. As far as getting every job you ever interviewed for, apparently you haven't interviewed for jobs that you find fulfilling and now you have this goal of being fulfilled and it somehow landing in your lap without the accomplishment of a college degree or a vocational degree, without wanting to do marketing or advertising and insisting that it be done at home and online -and on top of all that having a resume that risks showing you dabbling in all sorts of things or huge gaps because you shouldn't have to stick to something over time if after a little while it's not for you.

So, if you interview with that mindset, you're likely not going to give the impression of a strong work ethic, a can-do attitude, stick-to-it-ness and the willingness to do the grunt work that comes with these kinds of ultimately fulfilling jobs. Obviously you might be good at faking it and giving a good impression but I don't think it would be a good fit even if you get your job in a field you think would be fulfilling -because others who also want fulfilling work will continue to have the positive/can-do/work ethic attitude and values.

Many people work at jobs like yours (and other jobs!) and get laid off after many years. I suggest in any job that you always have an updated resume, that you continue to network, that you continue to know what's going on in that field or the one you want so that if you are laid off you're not as behind the eight ball.

I have taken classes, I took a cooking class, an online business class, a social media marketing class, a natural healing class, a photography class, and I am currently taking a homesteading class, a naturopathy class and an herbalism class. The problem is I just keep wanna taking classes because I love learning, and I feel like I need to take a class for every interest I have and I still get nowhere because I keep adding more classes!

A cooking class is life enhancement - not a career. It might make you healthier or more interesting, but these kind of classes you are taking are not something you can turn into a livlihood. I am not talking about taking a hobby class or an enrichment class -- i am talking about getting into an apprenticeship or a course of study that would be real training for a career. That doesn't happen in 2 hours a week for 4 weeks or a weekend intensive. I am talking about getting into a program that will make you a dental hygienist or some other profession that is gainful -- then you can take all the adult enrichment classes you want to. Or even if you were serious about gardening - you could take a horticulture program at a community college or a university that would able you to get a job at a gardening center (not as the average cashier, but in actually being a plant buyer, managing the greenhouse, etc, or you could even put up your shingle part time while you are working there to advise people how to plant edible landscaping in their yard. You can be a welder - do things at a company by day and on the weekends make amazing artful creations.

you don't lack in interests, but you lack in making a decision and truly applying yourself.

you do not find a career by taking a bunch of classes and seeing what sticks - you do it by making a decision and you stick with it - learning as much as you can until you have the associate's degree, you have enough years of an apprentice, etc, or what have you.

Your post is consistent with my take on what's going on here. I meant, obviously (and you are smart, so you know what I meant, you just have an agenda) that to get what you want to do you have to do the grunt work that goes along with it - talk to any artist about the grunt work she had to do to get to do her art, for one of many examples.

Yeah I understand what you're saying, but I know there are ways to earn money right away. Those are what I need.

As far as getting every job you ever interviewed for, apparently you haven't interviewed for jobs that you find fulfilling and now you have this goal of being fulfilled and it somehow landing in your lap without the accomplishment of a college degree or a vocational degree, without wanting to do marketing or advertising and insisting that it be done at home and online -and on top of all that having a resume that risks showing you dabbling in all sorts of things or huge gaps because you shouldn't have to stick to something over time if after a little while it's not for you.

I only have 2 gaps on my resume, one after I got laid off and was getting unemployment for 9 months before finding another job. And the 2nd gap was after I got fired from a job and same thing there, I was getting unemployment (they fired me because I wouldn't transfer across the country, so it was an unreasonable request on their part). Those situations don't look bad on your resume, it isn't like I got fired for being a bad employee ever. And the gap I will have right now is just because I have enough money to get by without having to work (yet). I have worked for 30 years total so there is no question about my work ethic. And all my references are good, because I have always been a good employee. In fact one of the reasons I wanted to quit my most recent job is because most of my coworkers spent time standing around and talking, leaving me to do my job and theirs.

Also remember this; "According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average worker currently holds ten different jobs before age forty, and this number is projected to grow. Forrester Research predicts that today's youngest workers ? that's you ? will hold twelve to fifteen jobs in their lifetime. "

When I was 40, at that time I only had 5 jobs, so I am doing better than most people. I don't even put all my jobs on my resume, some of them I only had for 3 or 4 months and they aren't jobs I want to have again so the experience is no longer relevant.

I have health insurance, its free through the county. And I have a SS account and a pension from my job I had for 18 years. I also have a very large 401k that will be more than I will need.

Being on medicaid is not something to aspire to and the 401k IS going to run out if you are living off of it. Who knows what the future holds -- housing could go way up, you could require more care when you get older. you have a pension but its not going to be as much as if you worked longer. I think you should consider going back to the factory if you were simply laid off if they call you back unless you can think of something else. I think its all about choosing something vs waiting for something to hit you on the head.

Also remember this; "According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average worker currently holds ten different jobs before age forty, and this number is projected to grow. Forrester Research predicts that today's youngest workers ? that's you ? will hold twelve to fifteen jobs in their lifetime. "

A lot of these people didn't have 10 different professions, but 10 different employers. They could have had 2-3 part time jobs in high school, college, etc, and once they get a professional job, they could have changed employers as they went for better opportunities. Most people don't go from baker, to factory, to accountant, to hair stylist, to photographer, etc....

A cooking class is life enhancement - not a career. It might make you healthier or more interesting, but these kind of classes you are taking are not something you can turn into a livlihood.

What!? There are millions of cooks around the country that say you are wrong, lol There are even hundreds of jobs in the food industry that don't even involve actual cooking, so I don't get where you are getting your opinion from that you can't earn a living as a cook or something related to food. I worked as a prep cook for 3 years. The only reason I don't do that again now is because that was a specific place that fed people 24/7, it was not a resteraunt, it was a temporary makeshift housing situation and since it was 24/7 I was able to work the overnight shift (I cant work mornings or early afternoons with my circadian rhythm disorder). So technically I guess if there was a job out there for a prep cook to work nighttime hours that was within 15 minutes of where I live, I'd be all over it. I've been trying to find that again ever since and haven't found anything else like it, not anywhere near where I live, anyway.

I am not talking about taking a hobby class or an enrichment class -- i am talking about getting into an apprenticeship or a course of study that would be real training for a career. That doesn't happen in 2 hours a week for 4 weeks or a weekend intensive. I am talking about getting into a program that will make you a dental hygienist or some other profession that is gainful -- then you can take all the adult enrichment classes you want to. Or even if you were serious about gardening - you could take a horticulture program at a community college or a university that would able you to get a job at a gardening center (not as the average cashier, but in actually being a plant buyer, managing the greenhouse, etc, or you could even put up your shingle part time while you are working there to advise people how to plant edible landscaping in their yard. You can be a welder - do things at a company by day and on the weekends make amazing artful creations.

I am all about life enrichment. I think everyone should take life enrichment classes. I don't want to be a dental assistant or any of those other careers that the kind of classes you are talking about are for. I have never been even 1% interested in any of those trade type jobs. That is also why I never went to college because nothing there interested me. (Or college was too expensive). I would LOVE to work in a greenhouse in fact I have applied to all the greenhouses in my area, but with no experience or education they didn't want me. Sure I could work a normal job and use that money to pay for schooling, but then I would be too busy working to do anything else. That is why I have always just had normal jobs, because they take up all your time (at least full time ones). And now that I am not working I am enriching my life by taking classes in stuff I am interested in and I have all the time in the world to figure out what I want to do. But if I were to go to school to learn a trade, there would go all my money and I would have to get a job and I wouldn't have time for school. Going for gardening or horticulture is actually one of the ideas I had that I had passion for, but then I realized you can't work in a garden or a greenhouse when you have this sleep issue I have. I am not using it as an excuse either, I have had this disorder since I was a child, there is no cure for it and because of it I have always had to take jobs that were nighttime hours. And that isn't just me, it's everyone who has this disorder.

you don't lack in interests, but you lack in making a decision and truly applying yourself.

I have applied myself to the best of my ability, it fizzles after I realize it isn't for me. Like I told someone else, you wouldn't stay with a partner that wasn't right for you (unless you were desperate), so why would you keep doing a job that doesn't fit you? I do admit I have a hard time making decisions but that is what happens when you have too many options (interests). I don't want to NOT do any of my interests/hobbies, and if I were to pick one to focus on, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the rest of them. I've always envied people who only had one interest, one thing they were passionate about more than anything else, one thing they knew they were born to do.

you do not find a career by taking a bunch of classes and seeing what sticks - you do it by making a decision and you stick with it - learning as much as you can until you have the associate's degree, you have enough years of an apprentice, etc, or what have you.

That goes against the entire way the education system is set up. Of course you have to take a bunch of classes to see what you are good at, that's what electives in high school are for. That is why there are career counselors to help people, and aptitude tests, and thousands of books about it.

Archived