Online dating pet peeves

Jennifer89

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People who post LOTS of headshot photos of themselves that all look exactly alike, except for the shirt they're wearing and background, usually taken in 3/4 profile and highlighting their big, dazzling white teeth like an ad for Crest Whitestrips, lol.

Photos taken with a car, a motorcycle, or a fish.

Photo taken with arm around an attractive young woman. C'mon, we know its your daughter.

Group photo, and we have to guess which one is you. And it's never the really good-looking one.

Though it's kind of a necessary evil, bathroom mirror photos. At least straighten up the sink and counter, pick your clothes up off the floor, hang the towels up neatly and flush the toilet before taking the photo.

I made an okcupid account once and deleted it within a week lol online dating is clearly not for me but from my little experience.

The guy who sends to a message and you don't reply so they follow up saying "so what you think you're too hot to reply to my message? I wasn't even trying to date you, get over yourself" LOL

Or

There was a guy who sent me literally six messages, and I'm 21 he was in his 60s and he kept messaging me even though my ages preferred were between 23-32 and he would tell me "be at blah blah cafe at 10 am tomorrow, my treat I just want to be friends" after me telling him that he wasn't in my age group and to please stop sending me so many messages.

Hey, I'm one of those AWFUL people who put Hiking, biking, and beaches in their profile! lol

Ex bf lived a half hour from Lake Michigan, and we went to the dog beach every chance we got. All our vacations were down south....to a beach...or Mountains.

I joined a hiking group last fall. And a kayaking meetup group this spring. (another 'hot' thing to do...kayak..lol) And bought a another bike when mine was stolen last fall. I also like dancing. hmmmm.....and sitting in front of this computer!

OK Cupid was the VERY worst for having people THOUSANDS of miles away want to 'talk' to you. I didn't sign up for this to be a penpal....pal.

Last week some guy emailed me. Shock! He was my age and had a nice smile (bald...but nice smile!) I emailed him back and said, "too bad you're only 1650 too far away from me!"

He emailed me back and said he was moving to Des Moines, and would i be interested.

I told him Des Moines was still 3 hours away, and my ex lived 4 hours away...and i said "NEVER AGAIN". I told him there are TONS of good looking girls in Des Moines he'll be able to find.

Darn....and he was one of the 'better' ones....

Just as a constructive feedback, there is one type you did not list here:

The Genuine. Basically I know more than one decent man really tired of the arrogance that most women has demonstrated on this online dating world. I am saying women for two reasons is because that is the optics I know. Secondly, that is clearly the dominant group in the online dating scene. I think if people could be trained in etiquette on how to at least say "not interested", "end of conversation, no longer interested" that could attract and retain some serious men. I am getting really tired of the online dating scene (after 4 weeks of subscription) and may well say goodbye forever and resort to conventional methods only. I am about to say I'd rather put up of the inefficiencies of a religion than standing the type of treatment I have received on the online dating scene (no I am not loser and believe me, I have scored few dates already with it). I can't stand all the "I have the world by the tail" most women have demonstrated so far. Thanks.

I am not sure if 'abuse' is the right word for this.

But one thing I can guarantee you:

That reaction is not coming from decent and civilized men. When a woman tells me 'not interested' or even better, they tell me after days of conversation they are pursuing another bird, it is totally fine with me. At least I do not waste my time chatting with them and if I want to, I can move on to the next woman in the queue.

foreveryoung- a lot of girls get abuse from guys on dating sites if you say a simple 'not interested'.

^ True. Awkward.

A peeve of mine was when the guy would have his photo be with some woman. Usually with his arm around her. I always wondered if it were an ex. Very awkward. If he can't be bothered to crop her out, then I can't be bothered to talk with him.

That reaction is not coming from decent and civilized men. When a woman tells me 'not interested' or even better, they tell me after days of conversation they are pursuing another bird, it is totally fine with me. At least I do not waste my time chatting with them and if I want to, I can move on to the next woman in the queue.

You'd be surprised how rude guys can get, a lot can't cope with rejection!!

You are right though, the decent guys would just say thank you for being honest.

Verbal abuse is a type of abuse. I rarely tell man that I am not interested anymore because of the responses I get. I am sorry to the good guys out there who respect that, but I'm just over it.

Hey, I'm one of those AWFUL people who put Hiking, biking, and beaches in their profile! lol

Ex bf lived a half hour from Lake Michigan, and we went to the dog beach every chance we got. All our vacations were down south....to a beach...or Mountains.

I joined a hiking group last fall. And a kayaking meetup group this spring. (another 'hot' thing to do...kayak..lol) And bought a another bike when mine was stolen last fall. I also like dancing. hmmmm.....and sitting in front of this computer!

To be fair, these are very common hobbies where I live in the mountains, people do go tubing and biking and hiking often. The beach, however, would be a trip, haha. So when I see "I enjoy long walks on the beach..." I'm normally like, "umm ya sweetie, I'm sure you do that often!"

All these apply to women too.

What i hate, you message me first, ask me tons of questions, ask for my number or prep to ask me for it. I get it, i text, they text- then the next day you dont text back and never reply, they just let the text sit there. This happens with 80% of the numbers i get, and i am way too stubborn to bother texting anyone back after any missed text.

All these apply to women too.

What i hate, you message me first, ask me tons of questions, ask for my number or prep to ask me for it. I get it, i text, they text- then the next day you dont text back and never reply, they just let the text sit there. This happens with 80% of the numbers i get, and i am way too stubborn to bother texting anyone back after any missed text.

Of course! I just wasn't going to write women and/or man on each of those!

I make them send a couple of messages back and forth before they get my phone number, if they ask for it first I tell them I don't give it out until we've been chatting for a while. Otherwise guys get my phone number and don't stop texting me even when I politely ask them to stop.

The Say-Nothing Guy- This guy doesn't want to say anything in his profile, half of his survey questions are "prefer not to say" and his description of himself is "Just ask." In other words, if you don't believe in love at first sight, don't bother to respond to this guy, because he doesn't have time to write a paragraph about his hobbies.

^^^ So true ! This is probably the kind of people I never correspond with. Probably they don't wanna say much personal stuff in their profile but I never message them, I have nothing to go by and I assume it is arrogant to only go by the pics.

The Say-Nothing Guy- This guy doesn't want to say anything in his profile, half of his survey questions are "prefer not to say" and his description of himself is "Just ask." In other words, if you don't believe in love at first sight, don't bother to respond to this guy, because he doesn't have time to write a paragraph about his hobbies.

This is soooooo true, just makes you think they aren't serious about it and just can't be bothered. No thanks!!!!!

"-The talker- this guy talks and talks and talks but never asks you out on a date. Man: I know this is 2013 but it would still be nice if you could ask us on the first date. The worse we can do it stop emailing you back. If you have no money, ask me on a picnic, if you have some money, ice cream or coffee, if you want to step it up, how about dinner? "

Never had a problem with this because I never thought I should be asked out on a date by a stranger through a dating site. I assumed we'd meet in person to see if we should go on a date and if we didn't arrange to talk on the phone within a few emails I moved on, and if we talked on the phone I expected us to arrange a time to meet in person if the phone convo went well (whether I suggested it or he did). I didn't mind a second phone call as long as there was a reason the first one had to be cut short but I didn't do the typing/talking to any great extent before setting up a first meet. I preferred meeting for coffee or a casual lunch -or a walk in the park was fine too.I did expect the man to ask me on the first real date but if I were dating now I might have a different view on that. My approach saved me a lot of time and helped screen out the people who weren't looking for a potentially serious relationship.

Date/meet....same thing to me. It's like going out on a blind date in the old days. People set you up with 'strangers' and you went on a date.

So the thing is....you're emailing...and you want the GUY to say, hey...you want to get together on Sat. for a MEET/DATE? Both the same in my books. The things is...i'm waiting for the dang guy to bring it up.

The last few guys i 'met'...i had them come to my house and i actually COOKED for them. eh. Nothing came out of it. 2 guys i met for a walk....and they apparently liked me.....and kept txting, but i wasn't into them.

But the point is...i want them to make the first move.

They hardly ever do...so i have to. And i don't like it.....lol

I preferred meeting for coffee or a casual lunch -or a walk in the park was fine too.

To me that's a DATE. All a date is is MEETING someone and doing something with someone. Doesn't mean he's taking you out on the town and spending all kinds of money on you.

The very first 'meet' i had with a guy, and my old babysitter who's 80 called me and asked how my date was going. I laughed and said i was on the date right now. He kinda threw in it was a 'meet'. I was confused. I mean, i drove 1 1/2 hours...i took all kinds of fruits and wine to eat...and we talked for 8 hours.

I was confused why he never took me out to eat since we were together from 1pm to 10pm and he never fed me...lol

Good thing i brought the fruit and cheese or i woulda been starving.

But that was my first experience with these 'meets'....boy how times have changed.

Archived