Do you wear glasses?

Hello guys again,

I wanted to ask you what do you think. I was today at eye test and I have on both eyes -1,75 dioptry and also something else -0,25 also on both eyes. I am reading whole day about it and there are two theories.

1st Theory with glasses,eye muscles get lazy and one can not see without glasses anymore, and also it goes more in minus.

2nd say not wearing glasses makes it worse.

Would you take glasses in my place?Maybe to take them and only to use it when I drive or when I am on lap top.

I would follow whatever the optometrist or opthamologist recommended.  I would not try to read about it because you are not a professional.  Feel free to get a second opinion.  I have been wearing glasses for 48 years.  I wore contacts for about 33 years.  I can't anymore for a couple of reasons.  I do know that my optometrist over the years has advised that I should stay with a certain prescription for the health of my eyes/eye muscles.  

• Like 1

Batya33 ❤️ thanks again! I know what you mean, but I am worried that they just want to sell me glasses because it was in glasses shop and I am not sure what to believe anymore. I definately need glasses, but what worries me the most not to damage my eyes more by wearing glasses.

7 minutes ago, turtle3 said:

Batya33 ❤️ thanks again! I know what you mean, but I am worried that they just want to sell me glasses because it was in glasses shop and I am not sure what to believe anymore. I definately need glasses, but what worries me the most not to damage my eyes more by wearing glasses.

I would have a licensed optometrist or opthamologist perform an eye exam. You can always say you're going to buy the glasses elsewhere -they will give you your prescription.  If you don't wear your correct prescription it could lead to headaches, embarrassing mistakes, eye strain, etc.

• Like 1

Not wearing glasses when you’re supposed to leads to severe eye strain ,headaches and vision that gets worse. Wear your glasses. I have been wearing them since I was 15. I can barely tell I am in a room without mine. With my glasses on I can read the smallest line on the chart . 

• Like 2

I'm nearsighted, so I wear glasses. I had laser surgery many moons ago on both eyes and whilst I didn't get 20/20 vision, it's good enough that I'm able to take my glasses off, for example, when swimming or when wearing a mask as they get foggy.

As everyone else mentioned, I'd suggest you follow whatever your ophthalmologist / optometrist recommended. They're supposed to be competent professionals. 🙂

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, turtle3 said:

Yeah,it is licenced shop and I think they have right. So during those 48 years of wearing glasses, did your sight get worse or it stayed the same?

Of course it got worse.  That is normal. That's what happens with eyes and nearsightedness (what I have).  In the past few years it's leveled off because that's also normal of someone in my age range - I'm 55.  Also beware of scammy people who will take your money and tell you you need eye related therapy to strengthen muscles -from what I know this sort of therapy is used for cross-eyed type issues (strabismus?) but is basically snake oil for the sort of thing you are talking about.  

I never wanted to do Lasik and still do not.  I know of people who have and rave about it.  I do miss being able to wear contact lenses.

• Like 1

Your eyes getting worse over time is completely normal sometimes your eyes will stabilize sometimes they won’t. However I can guarantee you not wearing your glasses won’t make it better. My husband has been wearing glasses since he was 6 and his eyesight is better than mine and better than our son’s. We all wear glasses and all have different prescriptions. And after about the age of 40 or 45 or so progressive lenses becomes a big factor. I got progressive lenses at 45 and my husband was 52 when he finally gave in and got progressive lenses. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Your eyes getting worse over time is completely normal sometimes your eyes will stabilize sometimes they won’t. However I can guarantee you not wearing your glasses won’t make it better. My husband has been wearing glasses since he was 6 and his eyesight is better than mine and better than our son’s. We all wear glasses and all have different prescriptions. And after about the age of 40 or 45 or so progressive lenses becomes a big factor. I got progressive lenses at 45 and my husband was 52 when he finally gave in and got progressive lenses. 

I finally got progressives maybe at 50 because it was so hard for me to find the right prescription.  I also have an astigmatism and becoming a mom I think dried out my eyes/made contacts less comfortable.  They don't make contacts for progressive with astigmatism so I just do glasses now.  My husband still wears contacts.  The progressives I have now are wonderful.  Finally found the right place to make them properly.

• Like 1
Just now, Batya33 said:

I finally got progressives maybe at 50 because it was so hard for me to find the right prescription.  I also have an astigmatism and becoming a mom I think dried out my eyes/made contacts less comfortable.  They don't make contacts for progressive with astigmatism so I just do glasses now.  My husband still wears contacts.  The progressives I have now are wonderful.  Finally found the right place to make them properly.

I have to find somewhere that uses the right composition of lenses. I still can’t read with progressive lenses on I still have to take them off to read but where my husband got his glasses they said I can’t because they used a cheap kind of lens I would have to use a way more expensive lens. I have never been able to wear contact lenses my eyes are far far too dry. I tried when I was young but I would have to take them out after four hours or they would be sticking right to my eyeball. I have extra super dry eyes that even optometrist can see and allergic eyes. My brother got Lasik done. He is happy with that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got glasses at age 19 and I am a lot older than that now.  Your eyes will change over the years and by the time you are 50 or 60 your sight will likely not be as good as it is now.  I had cataracts removed about 10 yrs ago and got implants to see distance.  My close up vision stinks and I have reading glasses.  If you need glasses, get them.  If you need them to drive, get them!  If you dont believe what the eye doc told you, get s second opinion.

• Like 2

Choosing not to wear glasses because of something you read online can result in a lot of bad things such as car accidents. My husband refused to wear glasses. After the second car accident while riding with him I told him he either gets glasses or I'd never ride in a car with him again. Turns out he really, really needed them.

If you distrust your doctor get a second opinion.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, turtle3 said:

I am worried that they just want to sell me glasses because it was in glasses shop 

The best thing to do is see an ophthalmologist, not just an optometrist. Many things can cause visual changes. Refractive error is only one.

It depends on your age. This prescription you mentioned is for myopia and astigmatism. But relatively mild.

It's unclear where you are getting these myths about glasses damaging your eyes?

Try to research more appropriate health information and stay away from fads and myths and poor health information.

If anything, squinting all the time will give you lots of wrinkles and headaches. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, boltnrun said:

Choosing not to wear glasses because of something you read online can result in a lot of bad things such as car accidents. My husband refused to wear glasses. After the second car accident while riding with him I told him he either gets glasses or I'd never ride in a car with him again. Turns out he really, really needed them.

If you distrust your doctor get a second opinion.

The most important reason why you need to wear glasses. 

I have been wearing glasses since I was 15 because I am almost blind otherwise. I can see ok near me but it would be dangerous let's say to cross a street because I wouldn't be able to see the upcoming traffic. 

Yes the eyes do in fact get lazy with glasses but that's why the ophthalmologists recommend to take them off for a few hours every day when you don't need them (like when you read a book etc etc)

Or you can have a laser surgery.

• Like 1

I know of many who distrust doctors of all kinds if it involves spending $ on glasses or another device or some other expense.  Or a surgical procedure.  What you're talking about as Boltnrun mentioned is true risk and even danger. 

Of course there will be lots of stuff on the internet about not needing glasses, just like there is stuff about curing baldness with hypnotherapy I bet.  That's why it's worth it to find doctors and health care providers you trust.  

A close family friend was an optometrist for 50 years.  You don't need an opthamologist for an eye exam unless you have very particular issues with your eyes (usually internal issues) (I am not a doc -just know this from my relative and many years going to different optometrists). The optometrist will refer you to an opthamologist if there is a medical issue that is different from giving an eye exam for glasses.  I mean sure go to an MD (which an opthamologist is) if it makes you more comfortable. I have friends who do that.  But it's more expensive and likely harder to get an appointment just for an eye exam.

• Like 1

For me I've worn them since 16 or so, mostly for driving (though not legally required for me) or anything long distance or where I need clarity. That said, initially wear your glasses regularly until you can see the difference; we often let ourselves get used to seeing poorly; the difference will be positive.

• Like 2

I have progessives.  But I do notice if I am wearing them for a period of time, when I take them off my vision is noticeably worse.  It takes maybe an hour before my eyesight returns to it's normal, which is poor to begin with.  So, what do you do?   It doesn't stop me from wearing them.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, reinventmyself said:

But I do notice if I am wearing them for a period of time, when I take them off my vision is noticeably worse.  It takes maybe an hour before my eyesight returns to it's normal, which is poor to begin with.

That's interesting. I don't wear glasses (yet), but I'm starting to get nearsighted with age. My eyesight finally dropped below 20/20 two years ago (in the year 2020 of all things! Ha!) It was a very small prescription, so I didn't bother to fill it--the optometrist said it wouldn't help or hurt my eyes either way. But I did find it helpful to use reading glasses at night, when reading my book before bed. What I find interesting is that it takes a couple of minutes for my eyes to adjust to the lenses before the fuzziness goes away. And then when I take them off and continue reading, things are less blurry for a little while.

• Like 2

My Dad is a retired optometrist! Would you like me to ask him? 

He is 64 now he retired at 55. He still keeps up to date with current research and has different medical magazines posted to their house.

If you would like me to ask just let me know. I always go to him for all my sight queries! Only a few weeks ago my middle daughter whacked me in the eye (by accident!) with a rubber sword of all things! I could hardly open it for about half an hour. Pain, tears streaming. He gave me the proper diagnosis but basically, scratched cornea was about it! 

Apparently I didn’t know but the eyes and tongue are the fastest healing parts of the human body and he told me with every passing minute it would get better as it healed and he was right.

The involuntary tears are a soothing antiseptic as well. The human body is amazing!

x

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, mylolita said:

My Dad is a retired optometrist! Would you like me to ask him? 

He is 64 now he retired at 55. He still keeps up to date with current research and has different medical magazines posted to their house.

If you would like me to ask just let me know. I always go to him for all my sight queries! Only a few weeks ago my middle daughter whacked me in the eye (by accident!) with a rubber sword of all things! I could hardly open it for about half an hour. Pain, tears streaming. He gave me the proper diagnosis but basically, scratched cornea was about it! 

Apparently I didn’t know but the eyes and tongue are the fastest healing parts of the human body and he told me with every passing minute it would get better as it healed and he was right.

The involuntary tears are a soothing antiseptic as well. The human body is amazing!

x

Mylolita, I love reading your posts. 💛 Glad your eye is ok!

Dear people, thank you so much for your advices, I bought glasses today. I will try to wear them and then will see the difference. They will make it for me till next week. I laughed so much to some of yur comments, and you are righte,it sounds retarded to say"I can damage eyes by wearling glasses" 😂

from what you wrote, it is helpful to wear them and it can worsen anyway.

Mylolita thank you so so soooo much for offering me to ask your father if sight gets worse with glasses, if you talk to him these days, but don't have it as task to do please. And I also never heard that eyes and tounge heal the fastest 🙂 One can also learn here interesting facts 🙃 I am glad that your eye is better ❤️ 

Btw I paid 265 euro,he made me buy some extra blue filter for electronic devices and tried to sell me some insurance for 30 more euro, if glasses break, but I said no thanks. This is why I don't trust doctors, bcs nowdays it is unfortunately all about money grrrr 😒

• Like 2