Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

I have to participate in a number of required, "real time" Zoom classes for school. Gag me with a spoon, please.

Work can still be stressful but I am much better off than most people. I was not pulled into the ICU to care for COVID patients last time. I am hopeful that this won't happen in the fall. I'd rather drive into traffic and get injured and be out with most of my pay than go to work with COVID patients. Several healthcare folks have died in this area and I'm no hero - I'd never lay my life down for patients like that. I'll quit and I don't care who thinks I'm a coward.

My son has 4 hours of zoom classes a day for middle school!!

My son has 4 hours of zoom classes a day for middle school!!

My deepest sympathies. I'm a full-grown adult and it's not fun - I have NO idea how kids can deal with it! Especially with 4-6 hours of Zoom a DAY Mon-Fri! What the heck! Just the mere thought boggles my mind.

As an adult, it has its benefits. Today, I "participated" (aka, listened but actively so) to a class's office hours over Zoom. I had slept in late, took a quick shower, muted/turned off video on my phone but played the feed live in my pocket as I made coffee, got some things ready for today, etc. I was naked part of the time, had to get dressed! haha.

Someone who attended a training class I also attended (but in a different session) forgot to shut down his camera during a lunch break. He had the computer set up in his bedroom and decided to take a shower during the break. Welp, some of the people saw him when he came out of the shower and walked into his bedroom to get dressed. Oops!

I don't care much for being on camera but since I have this anxiety thing going on I was definitely more comfortable training online than going into the building.

Someone who attended a training class I also attended (but in a different session) forgot to shut down his camera during a lunch break. He had the computer set up in his bedroom and decided to take a shower during the break. Welp, some of the people saw him when he came out of the shower and walked into his bedroom to get dressed. Oops!

I don't care much for being on camera but since I have this anxiety thing going on I was definitely more comfortable training online than going into the building.

God that sounds like one of my worst nightmares :upset: If that happened to me, I may just die of embarassment, quite literally.

I hate Zoom too. But you know what I hate more than Zoom? Proctored exams online. I won't go into too much detail but just now that involves me giving complete control/supervision of my computer to a COMPLETE STRANGER who watches/listens to me through a web cam for a couple hours while I take an exam online. I hate it so much.

My deepest sympathies. I'm a full-grown adult and it's not fun - I have NO idea how kids can deal with it! Especially with 4-6 hours of Zoom a DAY Mon-Fri! What the heck! Just the mere thought boggles my mind.

As an adult, it has its benefits. Today, I "participated" (aka, listened but actively so) to a class's office hours over Zoom. I had slept in late, took a quick shower, muted/turned off video on my phone but played the feed live in my pocket as I made coffee, got some things ready for today, etc. I was naked part of the time, had to get dressed! haha.

Thanks so much for understanding!

How do you get your son to be engaged in online learning? Pretty sure my parents would have had to glue my butt to my chair by Day 3 of that s__t.

Well. Hmm. I don't want to take credit because he is internally motivated to go to school and respect his teachers. So for example I couldn't get him to engage in most virtual camps but because this is school he gets the difference. I also give credit to the teachers - they were trained for 2-3 weeks (so we had a delayed start) so that things would go more smoothly that in the spring. It really does show.

What we are doing - we made sure he has a quiet space, we let him have gum which helps him focus and we give him an extra snack. Honestly I think the best thing we do it stay out of that room - today he had a melt down and I simply couldn't go to him even if I'd chosen to because of being busy and my husband was on a zoom meeting.

I want to add too that all school districts are handling this differently -some are really not doing a good job IMO -some are, and then you have all the individual differences with home situations, multiple kids, working parents, etc. Like I probably would have handled this ok in 6th grade but my sister -um, forget it lol.

😷😕 NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/01/sunday-review/coronavirus-socially-awkward.html

Research on prisoners, hermits, soldiers, astronauts, polar explorers and others who have spent extended periods in isolation indicates social skills are like muscles that atrophy from lack of use. People separated from society — by circumstance or by choice — report feeling more socially anxious, impulsive, awkward and intolerant when they return to normal life.

Psychologists and neuroscientists say something similar is happening to all of us now, thanks to the pandemic. We are subtly but inexorably losing our facility and agility in social situations — whether we are aware of it or not. The signs are everywhere: people oversharing on Zoom, overreacting or misconstruing one another’s behavior, longing for but then not really enjoying contact with others.

Funeral during COVID. 😨

My aunt passed away from COVID a few months ago. I'm in a different state so I didn't travel for it, but from what my mom told me it is an odd thing to deal with. They limited viewing the body to 10 at a time and kept the service to the closest family members. I think they might have even put the service on Facebook so people didn't have to attend in person. Smart idea and necessary in this time, but still feels a little creepy to me.

My aunt passed away from COVID a few months ago. I'm in a different state so I didn't travel for it, but from what my mom told me it is an odd thing to deal with. They limited viewing the body to 10 at a time and kept the service to the closest family members. I think they might have even put the service on Facebook so people didn't have to attend in person. Smart idea and necessary in this time, but still feels a little creepy to me.

I am so sorry to hear about your aunt. That is sad.

My dad‘s internment will be out at the graveside outside. I think there will be max about 15 of us.

So sorry to hear about your loss.

[emoji40][emoji53] NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/01/sunday-review/coronavirus-socially-awkward.html

Research on prisoners, hermits, soldiers, astronauts, polar explorers and others who have spent extended periods in isolation indicates social skills are like muscles that atrophy from lack of use. People separated from society — by circumstance or by choice — report feeling more socially anxious, impulsive, awkward and intolerant when they return to normal life.

Psychologists and neuroscientists say something similar is happening to all of us now, thanks to the pandemic. We are subtly but inexorably losing our facility and agility in social situations — whether we are aware of it or not. The signs are everywhere: people oversharing on Zoom, overreacting or misconstruing one another’s behavior, longing for but then not really enjoying contact with others.

That hits close to home. I pass on opportunities to have friends over. To be clear I have a nice patio with a fire pit and twinkling lights. I hear it all the time. Why am I not having people over when I feel isolated and the days are so long?

Two fold. I'm home 24 hrs a day. I need to get out, not have people over. I do see a friend or two a couple times a month (this is all outside of seeing my bf on weekends) But I do feel a little socially awkward. I couldn't put my finger on it. Outside if work, which is either boring or frustrating I have nothing to contribute. It feels like a muscle I'm not exersizing. You don't use it, you lose it.

I met a couple friends at a pool last week. Just the 3 of us. I'm pretty good at asking questions and getting people to talk about themselves anyway. I was doing that until the tables were turned on me. 'what about you? what's going on with you??' I stumble, feel uncomfortable and don't have much to contribute.

I just feel flat.

And I'm the opposite. I will talk the ears off of whoever I get a chance to have a conversation with. I do laundry at my son's home once a week and since he's working from home and his spouse goes out to work he also feels isolated. So we talk and talk and talk. When my friends visited a couple of weekends ago I did the same thing. My psychologist seldom gets a word in edgewise lol. I'm visiting family this weekend and my brother, who also works from home, will probably be the same way.

I have nothing going on in my life other than searching for a job. But I'm so starved for human interaction. I will be moving in with my brother at the beginning of next month and I cannot wait for this awful isolation to be over with. Same for hopefully getting a new job. I need to be productive.

And I'm the opposite. I will talk the ears off of whoever I get a chance to have a conversation with. I do laundry at my son's home once a week and since he's working from home and his spouse goes out to work he also feels isolated. So we talk and talk and talk. When my friends visited a couple of weekends ago I did the same thing. My psychologist seldom gets a word in edgewise lol. I'm visiting family this weekend and my brother, who also works from home, will probably be the same way.

I have nothing going on in my life other than searching for a job. But I'm so starved for human interaction. I will be moving in with my brother at the beginning of next month and I cannot wait for this awful isolation to be over with. Same for hopefully getting a new job. I need to be productive.

Lol, Boltnrun!

I have talked the ears off of the medical personnel when I go to doctor appointments. Because that is pretty much all I do these days - so medical assistants and doctors are subjected to my talk talk talk!

I do have a standing phone call with a friend each week - during the time we would have been walking.

Hope your job search is fruitful.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone , hope you are all well xxxxx

Wishing all those in America near the fires to be safe and well and know we are thinking of you in the UK .

Anyone ever hear from TWT ? It is very concerning bless her I /we just need to know she is safe .

Anyway love to you all xx

Hey pippy, I haven’t heard from here in ages: :(

The other day my friend told me the pandemic will be over soon and we will all forget it ever happened.

I disagree. Strongly. Particularly with the "we will forget it ever happened" part.

This is life for at least the next several months. And I know for sure I will not forget. I didn't forget 9/11 or 1 October and I will not forget this. I just hope I won't be lurking around wearing gloves and a mask for the rest of my life. That's kind of depressing, isn't it?

The other day my friend told me the pandemic will be over soon and we will all forget it ever happened.

I disagree. Strongly. Particularly with the "we will forget it ever happened" part.

This is life for at least the next several months. And I know for sure I will not forget. I didn't forget 9/11 or 1 October and I will not forget this. I just hope I won't be lurking around wearing gloves and a mask for the rest of my life. That's kind of depressing, isn't it?

Seriously doubt anyone over 10 will forget it .

Ahhh vic I was hoping you would have heard something :upset:

Bolt and vic I agree .....I wont forget this ever ...not ever ...... This is not the new normal I hope , I hope this is a moment in time and life will return to our normal ....no fear . just going shopping without being gripped by anxiety , without the panic that someone might stand to close , might touch you , the fear of the people who seemingly don't give a about it .

It is not going away in the UK , we have to travel sometimes over a hundred miles to get a test , 3000 a day of new cases ( I think I got that right but don't take that as gospel )

I have yet to go into a supermarket and NOT just stand and look in horror at what we are reduced to .