Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Emotional support group Covid19

Seraphim

Blue, I wish your vision is how it's going to play out. But when I look out my window or occasionally venture out...

Oh, I hear you. My state, California, has a long history of being very proud of itself—and, heck, I share a lot of that pride, as I moved here in part because I admire not only the landscape but the way California has conducted itself, you could say. And yet I see plenty of people behaving in ways that make the skin crawl, the spirit wilt, and our current numbers are nothing to find comfort in.

Paradigm shifts don't come easily.

Still, I do have a lot of hope: fervent here, flickering there, but all in all pretty potent and sustained. Maybe it's how I'm built, maybe it's a coping mechanism. I don't know. I've lived only 40 years—a blink in the scheme of things—but I've spent most of them pretty disappointed in the larger systems in which I live and how they've evolved over my lifetime, particularly when it comes to handling complex conflict, something I've yet to witness my country do in any way that has made me proud.

I don't think people can be "forced" to be good. Not by a government, not by a church, not by shaming on social media. But can circumstances nudge the needle, even a critical millimeter, even in the face of a tsunami of human stubbornness and fear and misguided momentum? It's a question I ask here and there, especially lately, more curious about how it'll be answered than anything.

Here it’s typical to see details in mask orders like “face covering” must cover nose and mouth. And when it doesn’t have to (ie eating and drinking). I’m having oral surgery Thursday and because of covid my son and husband both have to wait for me because he’s not at camp. It’s just another example of how even the most typical arrangements become complicated. It will all be ok just figured if was appropriate to mention here.

I'll tell you what is frustrating me. I am having some cruddy GI issues. I need to get scoped. A GI doctor agreed, I had a scope appointment set up and then COVID happened. It was canceled, no idea when I can get scoped and I continue to have issues.

I'm back to bad habits out of frustration. I fasted for almost 2 days (semi intentional) and drank a ton of water and coffee. I didn't feel hungry so I kept going. Now I have a fungal rash over some of my body. I broke out suddenly, looks terrible..

For sure even though we’ve seen deadly pandemics throughout history I guess we never thought it would happen to us in our lifetime it was never a part of our consciousness. Ya know?

Been thinking about this a bit. Very true. So I guess the question becomes—and this is a question that won't get answered next week, but probably over the next year or ten of fifty—is: What happens to our consciousness, collectively, now that this new matter is lodged there, not leaving on any of our preferred timetables, and destined to alter the equilibrium?

To sound less abstract, here are things I wonder about (alongside all the nitty-gritty fears and logistical concerns) these days:

Will office culture change, on the other side of this, becoming less stridently 9-5 and more flexible? Will less office space lead to more affordable housing? Will more affordable housing lead to less desperation and ire? Will more flexible work schedules lead to more intentionality in how people spend the precious currency of their time? Will people choose partners, say, so relationship harmony is not dependent, as I think it is in some cases, on spending as little time with another person as possible? Will people become a bit more conscious about what they eat, given that this virus is the product of a meat industrial complex? When the "little things" are all that can be savored for a good stretch—not weeks, not months, but longer—do they come to get reclassified, collectively, as the "big things"? Do we start to build systems that cultivate those little things, rather than push them to the periphery?

I go surfing most days, a habit unaffected by this moment. One thing I love about it? The ocean, the waves, they are relentless: they just keep coming and they have exactly zero interest in me, my aspirations in riding them, whatever is on my mind when I go out there, to say nothing of how we billions of humans are fairing at any given moment in time. They are created by faraway storms and yanked my way by the gravitational pull of the moon, which is absolute insanity, both poetic and hard science. Figuring out how to ride them is the forever pursuit: sometimes sweet, sometimes scary.

This moment, I think, is kind of like that, for all of us.

Here it’s typical to see details in mask orders like “face covering” must cover nose and mouth. And when it doesn’t have to (ie eating and drinking). I’m having oral surgery Thursday and because of covid my son and husband both have to wait for me because he’s not at camp. It’s just another example of how even the most typical arrangements become complicated. It will all be ok just figured if was appropriate to mention here.

Batya, just wanted to wish you well on your surgery. My thoughts are with everyone who has to undergo any procedures this year. I hope this goes smoothly and recovery is swift.

I'm extremely grateful for everyone who wears a mask especially service workers or those in hospitality and service. They're allowing me to enjoy my regular activities and I do everything I can at any opportunity to support our local businesses. I usually try to get out every week to speak to local business owners in areas I know are hardest hit by covid.

Been thinking about this a bit. Very true. So I guess the question becomes—and this is a question that won't get answered next week, but probably over the next year or ten of fifty—is: What happens to our consciousness, collectively, now that this new matter is lodged there, not leaving on any of our preferred timetables, and destined to alter the equilibrium?

To sound less abstract, here are things I wonder about (alongside all the nitty-gritty fears and logistical concerns) these days:

Will office culture change, on the other side of this, becoming less stridently 9-5 and more flexible? Will less office space lead to more affordable housing? Will more affordable housing lead to less desperation and ire? Will more flexible work schedules lead to more intentionality in how people spend the precious currency of their time? Will people choose partners, say, so relationship harmony is not dependent, as I think it is in some cases, on spending as little time with another person as possible? Will people become a bit more conscious about what they eat, given that this virus is the product of a meat industrial complex? When the "little things" are all that can be savored for a good stretch—not weeks, not months, but longer—do they come to get reclassified, collectively, as the "big things"? Do we start to build systems that cultivate those little things, rather than push them to the periphery?

I go surfing most days, a habit unaffected by this moment. One thing I love about it? The ocean, the waves, they are relentless: they just keep coming and they have exactly zero interest in me, my aspirations in riding them, whatever is on my mind when I go out there, to say nothing of how we billions of humans are fairing at any given moment in time. They are created by faraway storms and yanked my way by the gravitational pull of the moon, which is absolute insanity, both poetic and hard science. Figuring out how to ride them is the forever pursuit: sometimes sweet, sometimes scary.

This moment, I think, is kind of like that, for all of us.

I think our culture and consciousness will be dramatically altered.’😓

I wonder if it's financially more beneficial for companies to set up employees to work from home or if it's more costly than buying or leasing office space. My son is working from home but about once a week he has to go into the office to lead a presentation. He works for a very large corporation but most of his work is done either online or over the phone. So which is more cost effective? Providing laptops and making sure everyone has equipment and adequate internet access at home, or the big office building? Smaller businesses reimbursing employees for acquiring their own equipment and internet access or leasing office space? Would employees' attendance and productivity increase when they don't have to get up, get dressed and drive into the office?

Before my latest bout with mental illness I actually really liked interacting with my coworkers. One thing I missed when I got promoted is I didn't get to speak to new hire groups, I had to hand that duty off to the people I supervised. So the human interaction is definitely a perk (again, usually, when I am mentally well). My profession requires me to be onsite, but many professions don't.

This could also make things easier for some parents because they could arrange daycare differently. They could have someone come in to help...more of a "mother's helper" than taking the kids to a daycare center.

My son's company attempted to bring the employees back into the office but that lasted less than 3 weeks because they ended up having an outbreak. Now he's back to working at home, although his spouse is still going in to work.

I presume it will be on a company by company basis. But I think lots of companies will be looking at this very closely.

Not to mention the impact on the environment...When the shut down was in full force, the air got so clean! How nice it would be to keep it that way.

Good luck with the surgery love.

I had oral surgery during the pandemic (two teeth extracted). The surgeon wore what I think of as a "moon suit" complete with his own oxygen back pack. He and the two surgical assistants got it done so quick! I think they got both teeth out and the stitches done in about 20 minutes. I was in a room by myself (except the surgery team, of course) and I actually did feel very safe and protected.

I wish you the best!

I wonder if it's financially more beneficial for companies to set up employees to work from home or if it's more costly than buying or leasing office space. My son is working from home but about once a week he has to go into the office to lead a presentation. He works for a very large corporation but most of his work is done either online or over the phone. So which is more cost effective? Providing laptops and making sure everyone has equipment and adequate internet access at home, or the big office building? Smaller businesses reimbursing employees for acquiring their own equipment and internet access or leasing office space? Would employees' attendance and productivity increase when they don't have to get up, get dressed and drive into the office?

Before my latest bout with mental illness I actually really liked interacting with my coworkers. One thing I missed when I got promoted is I didn't get to speak to new hire groups, I had to hand that duty off to the people I supervised. So the human interaction is definitely a perk (again, usually, when I am mentally well). My profession requires me to be onsite, but many professions don't.

This could also make things easier for some parents because they could arrange daycare differently. They could have someone come in to help...more of a "mother's helper" than taking the kids to a daycare center.

My son's company attempted to bring the employees back into the office but that lasted less than 3 weeks because they ended up having an outbreak. Now he's back to working at home, although his spouse is still going in to work.

I presume it will be on a company by company basis. But I think lots of companies will be looking at this very closely.

Not to mention the impact on the environment...When the shut down was in full force, the air got so clean! How nice it would be to keep it that way.

Thing is they have to pay well enough for mother’s helper or nanny to be worth it. For instance I make over $200 a day. They are discussing making it possible for home daycares to be able to take 10 kids instead of 5 because people are so hard pressed to find care.

I would imagine a fair hourly wage could be agreed upon. The "mother's helper" wouldn't have overhead to pay so I would imagine it could be cost-effective for the parents.

In-home daycare centers are a great option, IMO. Because the kids get that social interaction which we all know is super important.

I've done both, the "mother's helper" and daycare. My kids got different benefits from each.

I had oral surgery during the pandemic (two teeth extracted). The surgeon wore what I think of as a "moon suit" complete with his own oxygen back pack. He and the two surgical assistants got it done so quick! I think they got both teeth out and the stitches done in about 20 minutes. I was in a room by myself (except the surgery team, of course) and I actually did feel very safe and protected.

I wish you the best!

Thanks to you and Seraphm!

Batya, just wanted to wish you well on your surgery. My thoughts are with everyone who has to undergo any procedures this year. I hope this goes smoothly and recovery is swift.

I'm extremely grateful for everyone who wears a mask especially service workers or those in hospitality and service. They're allowing me to enjoy my regular activities and I do everything I can at any opportunity to support our local businesses. I usually try to get out every week to speak to local business owners in areas I know are hardest hit by covid.

Thanks and that's so thoughtful of you! I speak less to avoid discomfort -even with a mask on I want as little air between us as possible lol. But I smile and am more generous with tipping.

I would imagine a fair hourly wage could be agreed upon. The "mother's helper" wouldn't have overhead to pay so I would imagine it could be cost-effective for the parents.

In-home daycare centers are a great option, IMO. Because the kids get that social interaction which we all know is super important.

I've done both, the "mother's helper" and daycare. My kids got different benefits from each.

That’s the thing I have a lot of overhead. I make clear approximately half of what I take in.

So I have one friend who is an essential worker in another state and her child got discounted camps as a result with other kids of essential workers. That is another way. The mothers helper thing wouldn't work for me in our small apartment for that many hours a day. I can imagine I'm not alone in that. Also my friends who have used mothers helpers and sitters go through so much stress and aggravation - either the person is unreliable or quits for something better, etc etc

That’s the thing I have a lot of overhead. I make clear approximately half of what I take in.

Not to mention, I am sure your day doesn't end when the last child is picked up. Especially now with the extra disinfection measures. I'm sure you always have kept a clean and safe environment for your kids but now those measures are extra important.

I would imagine you have a lot of bookkeeping to do, ordering supplies, etc. The mother's helper just goes home at the end of their day and collects their pay!

Not to mention, I am sure your day doesn't end when the last child is picked up. Especially now with the extra disinfection measures. I'm sure you always have kept a clean and safe environment for your kids but now those measures are extra important.

I would imagine you have a lot of bookkeeping to do, ordering supplies, etc. The mother's helper just goes home at the end of their day and collects their pay!

Yes, I have to disinfect all the toys and room and outside toys even every day . Paper work, groceries and supplies to buy. Etc etc . I work like 15 hours a day now.

Freaking rollercoaster week.

My bro's test came back negative. A million woohoos!

Two deaths close to home. My auntie, actually my moms childhood friend who I grew up with like an auntie and who was in a care home after a long battle with MS. Not Covid, but dehydration.

My ex coworker, not Covid, but after losing her job at my old workplace during this pandemic, she committed suicide.

I re read your posts Blue, a few times. I'm not a religious person, but I've discovered over the years I do have a deep tank of fundamental optimism under a more critical upper layer. Always fight for that new day.

I really do hope under all this some positive shifts happen. Something... More sustainable. I've always wanted that.

Such a cost we are paying in lives...

I just don't know. Just wanted to say this today.

I re read your posts Blue, a few times. I'm not a religious person, but I've discovered over the years I do have a deep tank of fundamental optimism under a more critical upper layer. Always fight for that new day.

I really do hope under all this some positive shifts happen. Something...

I hear you, and am very, very sorry for your losses.

Not religious myself either, but am a big believer in human creativity and ingenuity. I'm awfully angry and confused at a lot of what's happening today—feelings that are pretty standard for me, if more acute at present—but I suppose the more dominant feeling is something like hope. Was reading about the Black Plague a few days ago, and how it gave way to the Renaissance. Abstract stuff, one could say, but those too were just people, just like us, adapting to the unimaginable with some serious panache.

But, most importantly: I'm very sorry for the rollercoaster you find yourself riding. Hang on tight.

Two deaths close to home. My auntie, actually my moms childhood friend who I grew up with like an auntie and who was in a care home after a long battle with MS. Not Covid, but dehydration.

My ex coworker, not Covid, but after losing her job at my old workplace during this pandemic, she committed suicide.

I really do hope under all this some positive shifts happen. Something... More sustainable. I've always wanted that.

I am so very sorry for your losses . A million hugs.

i'm so so sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers and support and care are with you and your family.