Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Last movie you watched?, Part 2

Ac143

^ Prisoners is a good movie!

The Stephen King books I've read:

Bag of Bones (Good)

IT (My favorite, reading now for the third time)

'Salems Lot (Good)

The Stand (Unabridged) (Pretty good, not as good as I expected, kinda dry)

The Shining (Read twice, but just ok. Pretty boring with only a couple cool scenes)

Pet Semetary (Surprised me by being really good)

The Green Mile (Read twice, very good)

11/22/63 (Good, cool concept)

The Talisman with Peter Straub (REALLY good!)

I may have read Carrie but can't seem to remember.

So I guess I've been lucky because most of the ones I've read I really like.

Yes. J.

Fahrenheit 451 and Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Besides he writes uncommonly well......

and

"It's a Good Life" is a short story by American writer Jerome Bixby

(Science Fiction Writers of America selected it for The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume One, as one of the 20 best short stories in science fiction)

It was dramatised for T.V.

A disquieting story you can't get out of your mind, heh heh.

The Fifth Element, again.

while any excuse to watch Milla is a good one (she has an interesting singing voice too, btw), and i love Gary Oldman's acting, i kinda wonder how any of them could keep a straight face while acting in that one.

i always watch it for the DJ. Ruby's mannerisms are to die for funny.

Pontypool.

The coolest, creepiest zombie movie I have seen in years. Seriously, the last time a zombie movie scared me, intrigued me, and yes made me say, "OH Wow, that is such a cool take on the story," was the first zombie film I ever saw, "Night of the Living Dead."

Mad respect to the creators of this little film for giving us something that takes us back to before zombie films were done to death. (Pun intended.)

Alien Covenant

First movie I've seen in theaters in a loooooong time. I liked it, but being a little more invested in the Alien franchise than is probably healthy, it was a bit disappointing to see that, while it didn't ruin anything like so many are complaining, it didn't feel like it really took us anywhere. Personally, I think Scott's making a mistake essentially going the direct Prequel / Sequel route. I think the franchise would do much better going the Cloverfield route and expanding the universe with an anthology. There's simply only so much he can do if he's trying to lead us straight back to the 1979 Space Jockey.

In any case, still looking forward to Awakening.

The Fifth Element, again.

while any excuse to watch Milla is a good one (she has an interesting singing voice too, btw), and i love Gary Oldman's acting, i kinda wonder how any of them could keep a straight face while acting in that one.

i always watch it for the DJ. Ruby's mannerisms are to die for funny.

Hah that's one of my favorites. I think I've finally seen it enough times, but if it's on while I'm flipping channels I'll still stop for 10 minutes or so.

Went to Wonder Woman this weekend. Good to great in the first 2/3, fell off a cliff towards the end. Is it that hard to make sure that a movie works from it's most basic storytelling perspective before spending 100m on it? You would think that after 10 years of development the fundamentals would be in place. Hollywood is weeeeird.

Alien Covenant

First movie I've seen in theaters in a loooooong time. I liked it, but being a little more invested in the Alien franchise than is probably healthy, it was a bit disappointing to see that, while it didn't ruin anything like so many are complaining, it didn't feel like it really took us anywhere. Personally, I think Scott's making a mistake essentially going the direct Prequel / Sequel route. I think the franchise would do much better going the Cloverfield route and expanding the universe with an anthology. There's simply only so much he can do if he's trying to lead us straight back to the 1979 Space Jockey.

In any case, still looking forward to Awakening.

I think AC and Prometheus are basically original hard sci fi stories disguised as Alien prequels. He wanted to make a new storyline with Prometheus, the internet *****ed that they wanted the Alien. He made this, now the internet says it's too much Alien or too much of a retread and not scary anymore. Ridley Scott is in a tough spot with these.

• 3 weeks later...