Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What is the weather right now in your city/town/village, Part 2

Seraphim

It is supposed to rise up this weekend to the 30s. Please do not disappoint, Vancouver. 😎 

Coming from the equator originally, the temperatures here never get hot enough however the heat is slightly different. We are islanders through and through so ocean breezes and very humid heat are for me. Glad to be on the coast at least. I just wish it got hotter for longer! 🐠🌞🐬🏝

18 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Canada is the second largest country in the world in size. 

Loved the info Seraphim!

Generally, the size of America and Canada are incomprehensible to a lil Brit like me! We can drive to one end of the country too to bottom in what, 12 hours max or something?! We are so split up as well, England is not even Scotland and Wales and most of Ireland anymore - we really are a slither and spec of a country. It’s crazy to think we even hold any influence still.

Is it true that Canadians consider themselves more sophisticated than Americans and they think Americans are loud and over the top?! I heard that stereotype a few times! Wondered if it’s true? 

x

16 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Loved the info Seraphim!

Generally, the size of America and Canada are incomprehensible to a lil Brit like me! We can drive to one end of the country too to bottom in what, 12 hours max or something?! We are so split up as well, England is not even Scotland and Wales and most of Ireland anymore - we really are a slither and spec of a country. It’s crazy to think we even hold any influence still.

Is it true that Canadians consider themselves more sophisticated than Americans and they think Americans are loud and over the top?! I heard that stereotype a few times! Wondered if it’s true? 

x

I would say they are more assertive. We have a much longer British influence and we are more inclined to be silent stiff upper lip in situations. I have been the US hundreds of times. I have found them friendly and welcoming . The vast majority know next to nothing about Canada though and that is where the ire comes from I think. Canada is the most educated country in the world but on the basis that 54% of adults hold a degree of some sort. Other countries may have adults with more complex degrees but we have a pretty educated population for the most part. Not all of course. So we get irritated sometimes when people know nothing about us. Mind you we are not horn tooters. Maybe we should be . 

On 6/24/2022 at 6:23 PM, Seraphim said:

I would say they are more assertive. We have a much longer British influence and we are more inclined to be silent stiff upper lip in situations. I have been the US hundreds of times. I have found them friendly and welcoming . The vast majority know next to nothing about Canada though and that is where the ire comes from I think. Canada is the most educated country in the world but on the basis that 54% of adults hold a degree of some sort. Other countries may have adults with more complex degrees but we have a pretty educated population for the most part. Not all of course. So we get irritated sometimes when people know nothing about us. Mind you we are not horn tooters. Maybe we should be . 

Innnnnteresting!

I have a bit of an unorthodox stance on degrees Seraphim in that, I don’t think having done one makes you automatically smart. It depends what it is in, for a start! 

But that is not a slate on Canada! Just a personal belief I have, a small observation! May change as I get older! 

So there is a minor riff generally would you say? I would say that is true between Scotland and England, and the North of England and the South of England.

(PS - people from the North are BETTER! 🤣 Or shall we say, nicer! And, more down to earth! But nowhere near as trendy and sophisticated as our Southern Brit’s!)

x

27 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Innnnnteresting!

I have a bit of an unorthodox stance on degrees Seraphim in that, I don’t think having done one makes you automatically smart. It depends what it is in, for a start! 

But that is not a slate on Canada! Just a personal belief I have, a small observation! May change as I get older! 

So there is a minor riff generally would you say? I would say that is true between Scotland and England, and the North of England and the South of England.

(PS - people from the North are BETTER! 🤣 Or shall we say, nicer! And, more down to earth! But nowhere near as trendy and sophisticated as our Southern Brit’s!)

x

No, I wouldn’t say a rift . We just do an eye roll and carry on. 
Oh for sure a degree doesn’t make one automatically smart for sure . I have seen some educated people be thick as two short planks. 

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, mylolita said:

people from the North are BETTER! 🤣 Or shall we say, nicer!

Interesting! It's the reverse in the US. Here, it's the southerners who tend to be more polite and welcoming. When they are actually rude, it's almost cute 🤣

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Jibralta said:

Interesting! It's the reverse in the US. Here, it's the southerners who tend to be more polite and welcoming. When they are actually rude, it's almost cute 🤣

Yes!

The Northern people are like Southern Americans! All hospitality, easy going, don’t take themselves too seriously, great sense of humour and will help anyone out. Tend to not be the high flyers of the country, and not the most forward in what is stylish and current, those types all mostly head to London or the big trendy cities.

x

15 hours ago, mylolita said:

(PS - people from the North are BETTER! 🤣 Or shall we say, nicer/friendlier/more open/more easy going! And, more down to earth! 

But nowhere near as trendy and sophisticated/more reserved/more quiet/more conservative/more posh as our Southern Brit’s!)

In my opinion.

34 minutes ago, dias said:

In my opinion.

Yes, totally.

Totally CORRECT DIAS gold star! It’s true! 

Once Southern; always southern as well. And once Northern, always Northern, even if you moved down South. You can’t really escape it. People can change but anyone who really knows can always tell!

Also the same with the British class system. You can never change your class, not in your own lifetime. Maybe for your children, but not yours! Once born working class, you will always be working class, like my husband for example. It is often held against him I know, consciously or subconsciously. Goes for being Middle Class (the most ANNOYING CLASS!) and upper class as well. 

My friend, who’s father owns a Jamaican gold mine; will always be upper class. Even if she was begging on the streets tomorrow, she is, born and bred, one high class chick!

Funny place lil’England!

x

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Also the same with the British class system. You can never change your class, not in your own lifetime. Maybe for your children, but not yours! Once born working class, you will always be working class, like my husband for example. It is often held against him I know, consciously or subconsciously. Goes for being Middle Class (the most ANNOYING CLASS!) and upper class as well. 

Do you think this is changing a bit lately (the last 30 something years)? I think with the advent of  "Americanism" it's more about money than social status. Maybe not as much as in the US but I do believe we have shifted a bit from the traditional  class system. At least the new generations. 

What do you think?

27 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Yes, totally.

Totally CORRECT DIAS gold star! It’s true! 

Once Southern; always southern as well. And once Northern, always Northern, even if you moved down South. You can’t really escape it. People can change but anyone who really knows can always tell!

My friend, who’s father owns a Jamaican gold mine; will always be upper class. Even if she was begging on the streets tomorrow, she is, born and bred, one high class chick!

Funny place lil’England!

x

This is why my in-laws left the UK for Canada they didn’t want their kids raised in a class system. But they were raised in that system. My father-in-law if he were living would be 90 this year. My husband told me when his nanny came to visit they took to a very nice restaurant here and she told her son, “ crikey , the likes of us can’t go to a place like this . We ain’t the right class.” And her son told her in North America if you can pay that’s all that matters. 

27 minutes ago, dias said:

Do you think this is changing a bit lately (the last 30 something years)? I think with the advent of  "Americanism" it's more about money than social status. Maybe not as much as in the US but I do believe we have shifted a bit from the traditional  class system. At least the new generations. 

What do you think?

Of course the shift seems to happen after every generation. It’s diluted majorly Dias I agree, but it is still there; and it is more apparent when you drift “out of your class” either lower or higher.

The hubby moves in those upper circles more just with work. Even royal family. He has been in many of the direct off shoots of the royal families houses often, out to dinner with them, texts them, their numbers on his phone.

When I used to go with him before we had kids, we would go to a members club in London called the Chelsea Arts Club. Bryan Ferry would be there, other major directors, all sorts. All had money.

I am technically a lower middle class gal. Some would be so kind and friendly, other treat me like a weird Christmas bauble - oooo look at this! How interesting! Sometimes though; and I have experienced this hardly ever in my life; but I was treat with contempt. Why is SHE here? Honestly. It was quite shocking and I’m not normally embarrassed or, it takes a whole lot of near next to nothing to make me feel less or inadequate but, my 21 year old self sure did feel it on that night. Horrible. Made me feel like Jack Dawson on the Tiranic.

We have what you would call, upper class friends. Treat us amazingly like anyone else. They have a few questions. These people are, stereotype true, so far removed from regular, everyday life. Then we have the other working class world where my husband comes from. Goes to shoot pool! Was a boxer in a rough gym. Went to an absolutely terrible school. Grew up on a council estate.

So there you go. I think class is apparent when you go certain places, and hang with certain people. I have never also been made to feel more welcome by working class people but also teased at how “sophisticated” or “put together” or “posh” I am. When I am not. Just in their eyes, compared to them, that’s how they see it.

X

4 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

This is why my in-laws left the UK for Canada they didn’t want their kids raised in a class system. But they were raised in that system. My father-in-law if he were living would be 90 this year. My husband told me when his nanny came to visit they took to a very nice restaurant here and she told her son, “ crikey , the likes of us can’t go to a place like this . We ain’t the right class.” And her son told her in North America if you can pay that’s all that matters. 

That is what still separates America from us.

America is such a NEW shiny country compared to England. They set their own modern rules. Ours have been developed and moved and bent and twisted over thousands and thousands of years 

x

It doesn’t matter to old school upper class people as well how much money you have. It doesn’t impress them and it’s of no interest or concern too them. Only middle class people are bothered about showing off in overtly flash ways, or talking, bragging, about money. 

No. The old school upper class never talk money and they never talk shop. They don’t care I have a silk couch that cost 27k. No. Who cares. It doesn’t elevate you in their world not one bit. They hear your accent, they don’t know your family, you never went to their boarding schools. They don’t care what job you do because hardly any of them work and some have never worked in all their lives. I suspect they are working as a paupers game. Their lives are just endless hobbies and other things they want to do.

They are, as well, through observation, sometimes a very weird bunch, and dysfunctional at that.

x

10 minutes ago, mylolita said:

That is what still separates America from us.

America is such a NEW shiny country compared to England. They set their own modern rules. Ours have been developed and moved and bent and twisted over thousands and thousands of years 

x

Hahahaha that is something else Canadians highly object to being called “ Americans” because well, we are Canadians. We have a lot of differences in our history, a lot of difference in our demographics,  a lot of difference in our politics. We have differences in culture , differences in the way government is run. We follow the British model. So we are part of the North American continent but we are not American. 

And in Canada our military swears allegiance to the Queen and her descendants not a constitution, not a president ,not a Prime Minister  but the Queen as she is our Head of State and she is the Commander in Chief of Her Majesty’s Canadian Armed Forces. 

4 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

And in Canada our military swears allegiance to the Queen and her descendants not a constitution, not a president ,not a Prime Minister  but the Queen as she is our Head of State and she is the Commander in Chief of Her Majesty’s Canadian Armed Forces. 

Are Canadians quite patriotic?

As a Brit, I am actually not a royalist! I am quite the republican gal! Sorry to say! 

I absolutely ADORE Winston Churchill though and, even though many people globally and within the UK will say nothing but bad things about our island nation, I feel very proud, and still hold her green, drizzly fields deep in my heart and very being and genetics Seraphim!

x

4 minutes ago, mylolita said:

They don’t care what job you do because hardly any of them work and some have never worked in all their lives. Their lives are just endless hobbies and other things they want to do.

Lazy bums in other words. Depends how you see it.

I find this topic interesting.

When I was 21 I visited my extended family in the US for the first time. I remember my uncle used to tell me all the time: It's not about what your grandparents achieved, it's not what your parents achieved, it's about you on your own have achieved. I think it will stay with me forever. 

This is what I like the most in the US culture.

2 minutes ago, dias said:

Lazy bums in other words. Depends how you see it.

I find this topic interesting.

When I was 21 I visited my extended family in the US for the first time. I remember my uncle used to tell me all the time: It's not about what your grandparents achieved, it's not what your parents achieved, it's about you on your own have achieved. I think it will stay with me forever. 

This is what I like the most in the US culture.

Yes, I get that Dias. It’s what draws a lot of people to America. The pursuit of happiness. The American dream! You get there by your own merit! Not on the coat tails of anyone else!

Here it’s a little more, who you know and who knows you. For some things. 

You can become self made of course but, it doesn’t hold the same gravitas as it does in America. You build a company from nothing and people in America hold you high and say wow, you lived the dream! Here in England, people say, must be nice, but what else can you do? 

I don’t think people are as easily impressed or easy to congratulate here. We don’t have a pat on the back, cheerleading culture. We don’t have a team work culture either. It’s you, against the world, and don’t expect any thanks or praise and you better stay humble! HA! That goes with how generations living as an island nation develop - I have a theory. You become fiercely independent. Within history, you don’t have anyone beside you to lean on, and people are coming across the water trying to take you over left right and centre!

We have quite a fighting attitude. And the Brits ADORE an under dog! We turn off and get bored once the going is good for someone. We would much rather enjoy and revel in the struggle beforehand! 

I think we are one of the most independent and free thinking nations out there, also. With a weird, self derogatory, jibing sense of humour. We’re quite smart as well I think, considering how tiny our population is, a whole load of scientific inventions and breakthroughs and discoveries have come out of us.

We’re not gorgeous or tanned or sophisticated. We’re not stylish. We’re a bit inwards. I think it’s because of the weather - LOL!

We’re stubborn as hell!

Come to England - LOL! What an advert, right?!

x

• Like 1

(You’re welcome Gravity - Sir Issac Newton. You’re welcome basically the meaning of life, The Theory Of Evolution - Charles Darwin.)

And don’t worry, we fought most of WW1 and WW2. My Great Grandparents and Grandparents are part of the reason I can sound off freely here today.

I could go on 🥲 Hand on heart here, if tactically hearing the national anthem - LOL!

x