Jump to content

Open Club  ·  65 members

Off Topic

What is the weather right now in your city/town/village, Part 2


Seraphim
 Share

Recommended Posts

We’re not bad. We won’t win best dressed, or most athletic. But we are strange individualist thinkers. Bit bonkers. Muddle through. 
 

There is an air of organised chaos, mostly chaos, about England. It’s like, let’s have a cuppa and then we’ll slowly sort through it. HA! 
 

Don’t know if you agree or have witnessed this mentality Dias but I find it pretty true!

 

x

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mylolita said:

Are Canadians quite patriotic?

 

As a Brit, I am actually not a royalist! I am quite the republican gal! Sorry to say! 
 

I absolutely ADORE Winston Churchill though and, even though many people globally and within the UK will say nothing but bad things about our island nation, I feel very proud, and still hold her green, drizzly fields deep in my heart and very being and genetics Seraphim!

 

x

We are not very outwardly patriotic, no, I wouldn’t say so as a majority opinion. It takes a lot to get Canadians en masse riled up . We are one of the only countries in the world that haven’t had a revolution or civil war because we plainly can’t be bothered. However, once you get under our craw look out it won’t be pretty. In both world wars Canadians were known to be very fierce fighters.  Some of us are patriotic .My husband and I very much are. I am a very devout royalist. My husband adores Churchill . He is very proud of his British ancestry. My dad had British parents he was another first generation Canadian. My mom is Acadian and she is a 14th generation Canadian. I am the 15th. And my son on my side is the 16th generation and on his father’s  side a second. I don’t much pay attention to my British side only because my dad’s family is full of abusive people and they abandoned me and were racist about my mom. Not that I am saying British people are but it was the time period and generation. The 60’s and further back were hard times for French people in Canada. My mom told me that my dad’s mother said , “ bring that little “Algerian” back when she speaks English” My first language was French because I lived with my mom’s parents for a while as an toddler. ( as a social reference French people in Canada in the 60’s were called “ white black people “ . Hence the reference made by my grandmother) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

We are not very outwardly patriotic, no, I wouldn’t say so as a majority opinion. It takes a lot to get Canadians en masse riled up . We are one of the only countries in the world that haven’t had a revolution or civil war because we plainly can’t be bothered. However, once you get under our craw look out it won’t be pretty. In both world wars Canadians were known to be very fierce fighters.  Some of us are patriotic .My husband and I very much are. I am a very devout royalist. My husband adores Churchill . He is very proud of his British ancestry. My dad had British parents he was another first generation Canadian. My mom is Acadian and she is a 14th generation Canadian. I am the 15th. And my son on my side is the 16th generation and on his father’s  side a second. I don’t much pay attention to my British side only because my dad’s family is full of abusive people and they abandoned me and were racist about my mom. Not that I am saying British people are but it was the time period and generation. The 60’s and further back were hard times for French people in Canada. My mom told me that my dad’s mother said , “ bring that little “Algerian” back when she speaks English” My first language was French because I lived with my mom’s parents for a while as an toddler. ( as a social reference French people in Canada in the 60’s were called “ white black people “ . Hence the reference made by my grandmother) 

This is all very interesting Seraphim!

 

Yes, not to slate Americans but in the Second World War they came in right at the very end and only once Pearl Harbour had been bombed. The whole of Europe would have fallen and they wouldn’t have done anything.

 

Winston Churchill famously didn’t hold America in general, the political side, in very high regard. He once said, 

“You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities.”

Winston Churchill

 

We were going to fight till the end even though it meant certain death. We just wanted to die free. This is where the divide in modern time comes with the Leave Remain European Union debate. 
 

The Americans had the fire power and they saved us all in the end. Like the cherry on top. But the woman next door to my Grandad had her arm blown off and her baby obliterated in the bombings and that was every other person. There is a famous scenario where, in utter turmoil over whether to surrender, Churchill road the underground. There was a woman with a baby there, a few men. He asked them, should he surrender, or fight? They all said, fight. This is deep in the heart of most of the British public.

 

I think even Brits feel it is forgotten, but it is not.

 

I am stirred to think Canadians are the same! And we salute you for your courageous efforts in the Wars Seraphim! I can’t thank people in the military enough. You and your husband included! 
 

And I’m sorry you suffered racism. British people can be a bit like that. It’s so hard, but once you are accepted to d, they will happily die for you. It’s a strange and twisted paradox.

 

My husband always speaks highly of Canada!

 

I am also quite French, my mothers side! My Great Grandfather was born in France but came here to England not long after.

 

x

 

Edited by mylolita
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mylolita said:

This is all very interesting Seraphim!

 

Yes, not to slate Americans but in the Second World War they came in right at the very end and only once Pearl Harbour had been bombed. The whole of Europe would have fallen and they wouldn’t have done anything.

 

Winston Churchill famously didn’t hold America in general, the political side, in very high regard. He once said, 

“You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities.”

Winston Churchill

 

We were going to fight till the end even though it meant certain death. We just wanted to die free. This is where the divide in modern time comes with the Leave Remain European Union debate. 
 

The Americans had the fire power and they saved us all in the end. Like the cherry on top. But the woman next door to my Grandad had her arm blown off and her baby obliterated in the bombings and that was every other person. There is a famous scenario where, in utter turmoil over whether to surrender, Churchill road the underground. There was a woman with a baby there, a few men. He asked them, should he surrender, or fight? They all said, fight. This is deep in the heart of most of the British public.

 

I think even Brits feel it is forgotten, but it is not.

 

I am stirred to think Canadians are the same! And we salute you for your courageous efforts in the Wars Seraphim! I can’t thank people in the military enough. You and your husband included! 
 

And I’m sorry you suffered racism. British people can be a bit like that. It’s so hard, but once you are accepted to d, they will happily die for you. It’s a strange and twisted paradox.

 

My husband always speaks highly of Canada!

 

I am also quite French, my mothers side! My Great Grandfather was born in France but came here to England not long after.

 

x

 

I think, after thousands of years of the Vikings, then the Romans, and then god knows all the others trying to capture and claim England inbetween and before, we just thought, after all of the generations of blood shed, like HECK are we gonna let some jumped up midget with a dodgy tash take her!!! 
 

x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, mylolita said:

This is all very interesting Seraphim!

 

Yes, not to slate Americans but in the Second World War they came in right at the very end and only once Pearl Harbour had been bombed. The whole of Europe would have fallen and they wouldn’t have done anything.

 

Winston Churchill famously didn’t hold America in general, the political side, in very high regard. He once said, 

“You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have exhausted all the other possibilities.”

Winston Churchill

 

We we’re going to fight till the end even though it meant certain death. We just wanted to die free. This is where the divide in modern time comes with the Leave Remain European Union debate. 
 

The Americans had the fire power and they saved us all in the end. Like the cherry on top. But the woman next door to my Grandad had her arm blown off and her baby obliterated in the bombings and that was every other person. There is a famous scenario where, in utter turmoil over whether to surrender, Churchill road the underground. There was a woman with a baby there, a few men. He asked them, should he surrender, or fight? They all said, fight. This is deep in the heart of most of the British public.

 

I think even Brits feel it is forgotten, but it is not.

 

I am stirred to think Canadians are the same! And we salute you for your courageous efforts in the Wars Seraphim! I can’t thank people in the military enough. You and your husband included! 
 

And I’m sorry you suffered racism. British people can be a bit like that. It’s so hard, but once you are accepted to d, they will happily die for you. It’s a strange and twisted paradox.

 

My husband always speaks highly of Canada!

 

I am also quite French, my mothers side! My Great Grandfather was born in France but came here to England not long after.

 

x

 

I find it is more a generational thing mostly. I am thankful my mom is not prejudiced at all in any regard. My in-laws were/are but I think it is generational. My MIL made a comment about French people as well ( obviously forgetting her own sister married two French Canadian men. At different times of course her first husband passed away. So her nieces and nephews are half  French. And her grandson is 1/4 French. ) so my mother-in-law made this comment about 10 years ago and my son just gave her a very direct look and gave her a big dressing down. She had forgotten that my mother is French. Well, that didn’t go over big with my son he said don’t you ever talk about my grandmother’s people, my mother’s people and my people like that ever again. But like I said I think it’s more generational. 

Edited by Seraphim
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My husband has a lot of Celt through his mom. So when my son has a beard you see lots of sprinkling of red. My husband when he was young if he grew a beard his beard was completely red and his hair is black. It is so strange. But lots of Irish and Scots on his mom‘s side and Anglo Saxon on his dad’s side . 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

My husband has a lot of Celt through his mom. So when my son has a beard you see lots of sprinkling of red. My husband when he was young if he grew a beard his beard was completely red and his hair is black. It is so strange. But lots of Irish and Scots on his mom‘s side and Anglo Saxon on his dad’s side . 

Yes!

 

Major Celt here too! Hence the red hair, pale skin, and green eyes!

 

Kind of, “original” Brits really, the Celts, as I vaguely understand! Correct me if totally wrong!

 

Your family is an interesting mix Seraphim! It looks like you enjoy researching it too!

 

x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mylolita said:

Yes!

 

Major Celt here too! Hence the red hair, pale skin, and green eyes!

 

Kind of, “original” Brits really, the Celts, as I vaguely understand! Correct me if totally wrong!

 

Your family is an interesting mix Seraphim! It looks like you enjoy researching it too!

 

x

My husband had black hair ( he is gray now just like me) and blue eyes. His dad was a blonde with blue eyes and his mom has black hair and blue eyes. Me, I was a deep mahogany brown with red highlights and green eyes. My mom had pale brown hair and vivid blue eyes and my dad had black hair and eyes so blue they were almost purple. My son has very deep deep brown hair but no highlights like his father’s hair and green eyes. My brother is also has mahogany coloured hair with red highlights. Much lighter than mine was though. (I was strawberry blonde as a toddler and he was totally blonde. My husband was a white blonde toddler and my son had soft fawn coloured hair ) My brother’s children two are dark haired and one is blonde all girls and all have bluish but more green eyes. Mine are a deep jade green and my brother’s are a pastel green. My son’s are not quite as vibrant as mine. My son and I have an olive undertone where as my husband has typical English skin. My mom is very very pale like her mom but her dad was much darker complexioned . So some of us are darker and some of us are lighter. My son and I and my brother go very dark in the summer. My dad had pretty pale English skin. And my husband‘s parents same thing English skin. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Hence the red hair, pale skin, and green eyes!

Red hair and green eyes? Damn, that's a combo I have never seen! Aren't you a unique Lolita!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, dias said:

Red hair and green eyes? Damn, that's a combo I have never seen! Aren't you a unique Lolita!

You need to go to Scotland more and it’s everywhere! I think 2-5% of the population so highest concentration of redheads anywhere!

 

I think red hair makes up 1-2% of the worlds population.

 

My mum and Dad both must be carriers of the recessive gene which creates it because they are both brunette but my Dad as Seraphim has mentioned got reddish tints in his beard when he grew one randomly one year 🤪

 

I have had an on off love hate relationship with my pale skin. It has always been quite trendy and fashionable to be tanned in most of the western world. Japan and Asian cultures, they all want to be pale but often I have longed to tan and not get burnt so easily. My son is fascinated with my freckles that come across my nose in the summer!

 

You always what what you don’t have don’t you! Greek tan would be nice but that’s never gonna happen!

 

x

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, dias said:

Red hair and green eyes? Damn, that's a combo I have never seen! Aren't you a unique Lolita!

But, thank you! It doesn’t feel that unusual but I suppose it is technically.

 

I heard you can chase your blood group back to certain area of the world too. I have a fairly rare blood type as well, B rhesus negative which I think can also be traced back to parts of France and Celtic peoples!

 

My Dad who is the same blood type always gave blood. I need too actually. They sometimes run short of it in hospitals.

 

x

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mylolita said:

But, thank you! It doesn’t feel that unusual but I suppose it is technically.

 

I heard you can chase your blood group back to certain area of the world too. I have a fairly rare blood type as well, B rhesus negative which I think can also be traced back to parts of France and Celtic peoples!

 

My Dad who is the same blood type always gave blood. I need too actually. They sometimes run short of it in hospitals.

 

x

When my Dad had a bad motorbike accident in the 80s, my Grandad, who also shares the same blood type, was called in to urgently give blood there and then because they didn’t have enough of it on hand. He would have died if he hadn’t of been there.

 

I think with the rhesus negative types, other positives can accept our blood but we could never accept a positive donation? 
 

Anyone good at biology wanting to interject and correct me please feel free!  
 

x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

My husband had black hair ( he is gray now just like me) and blue eyes. His dad was a blonde with blue eyes and his mom has black hair and blue eyes. Me, I was a deep mahogany brown with red highlights and green eyes. My mom had pale brown hair and vivid blue eyes and my dad had black hair and eyes so blue they were almost purple. My son has very deep deep brown hair but no highlights like his father’s hair and green eyes. My brother is also has mahogany coloured hair with red highlights. Much lighter than mine was though. (I was strawberry blonde as a toddler and he was totally blonde. My husband was a white blonde toddler and my son had soft fawn coloured hair ) My brother’s children two are dark haired and one is blonde all girls and all have bluish but more green eyes. Mine are a deep jade green and my brother’s are a pastel green. My son’s are not quite as vibrant as mine. My son and I have an olive undertone where as my husband has typical English skin. My mom is very very pale like her mom but her dad was much darker complexioned . So some of us are darker and some of us are lighter. My son and I and my brother go very dark in the summer. My dad had pretty pale English skin. And my husband‘s parents same thing English skin. 

Very beautiful sounding family genetics!

 

x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mylolita said:

When my Dad had a bad motorbike accident in the 80s, my Grandad, who also shares the same blood type, was called in to urgently give blood there and then because they didn’t have enough of it on hand. He would have died if he hadn’t of been there.

 

I think with the rhesus negative types, other positives can accept our blood but we could never accept a positive donation? 
 

Anyone good at biology wanting to interject and correct me please feel free!  
 

x

No negatives cannot receive a positive blood type. My mother is a negative. And my father is a positive. I am also a positive so is my sibling . So my mom had great troubles this was before shots and all kinds of things to stop the negative reaction when negative women have positive babies. My brother had to be transfused at birth. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

No negatives cannot receive a positive blood type. My mother is a negative. And my father is a positive. I am also a positive so is my sibling . So my mom had great troubles this was before shots and all kinds of things to stop the negative reaction when negative women have positive babies. My brother had to be transfused at birth. 

Yes, I had to have something called anti-d an injection whilst pregnant and after giving birth to stop my immune system rejecting the baby. It’s a precaution but something similar to what you mentioned Seraphim!

 

x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mylolita said:

Yes, I had to have something called anti-d an injection whilst pregnant and after giving birth to stop my immune system rejecting the baby. It’s a precaution but something similar to what you mentioned Seraphim!

 

x

Yes! My mom didn’t have that. So she almost lost my brother because as a positive baby I primed her body to reject and further positive babies. My husband and I are both A+ so no issues. My mom is A- and my dad was O+. My son is also A+. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Yes! My mom didn’t have that. So she almost lost my brother because as a positive baby I primed her body to reject and further positive babies. My husband and I are both A+ so no issues. My mom is A- and my dad was O+. My son is also A+. 

Yes, this is very true! 
 

They gave me the injection to protect future pregnancies! All my children as positive blood types, so is my husband. It’s one of those things in life I had never heard of until I was sat in a midwives office! I never even knew my blood type until they tested! 
 

Modern medicine ay!

 

x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...