Do you think plastic surgery can turn a VERY ugly person to an attractive one?

GaaraKitten

I am ugly and plastic surgery is a necessity for happiness. Idc how vain this sounds, but I love clothes shopping, (and it's a real drag when you're ugly) and looking good, and I'm so ugly i attract A LOT of attention in public. I NEED to be pretty.. I don't even care about dating I just want to look good.. and it's proven that attractive people are happier and make more money than ugly people. I'm very very unhappy and embarrassed with the fact that my name is associated with this nasty face I have. I also want friends but I would rather be dead than be the ugly friend and watch all my friends be hit on by guys in public while they throw looks of disgust at me. Not going to happen.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am ugly and plastic surgery is a necessity for happiness. Idc how vain this sounds, but I love clothes shopping, (and it's a real drag when you're ugly) and looking good, and I'm so ugly i attract A LOT of attention in public. I NEED to be pretty.. I don't even care about dating I just want to look good.. and it's proven that attractive people are happier and make more money than ugly people. I'm very very unhappy and embarrassed with the fact that my name is associated with this nasty face I have. I also want friends but I would rather be dead than be the ugly friend and watch all my friends be hit on by guys in public while they throw looks of disgust at me. Not going to happen.

Not without a lot of time spent with a therapist first.

Plenty of people go under the knife only to discover that surgery didn't fix what needed to be fixed: they way they were thinking about and esteeming themselves. That knife isn't going to do anything for how you feel about yourself; and you'll be thousands of dollars poorer and still thinking you're not attractive enough.

You have to first get to a place, emotionally, where you love and accept who you are before undertaking the rigors of surgery... because it may take more than one surgery to fix what needs fixing-like re-aligning bones in your face, which is major and expensive. Have you got the support for that?

I agree that you need to have therapy before going through with any surgery as it will not fix the problem. You are only changing the outside and not how you feel on the inside. And i can guarantee that you wont be amazingly happy afterwards. If your wondering how I know this its because i have had cosmetic surgery.

You need to have counselling before thinking about surgery of any kind.

Have you seen Holly Madison's before and after pics? That's about the BEST plastic surgery can offer, so draw whatever conclusions from that you will.

link removed

I certainly don't think she was "ugly", but that is seriously about as good as it gets. I wouldn't expect any difference much more dramatic than that. If you mess with your nose be very careful not to overcorrect.

But ya, it's very possible you could get all the plastic surgery in the world and still feel a void, as I also recommend therapy. The feeling that you "have" to be pretty (as opposed to merely wanting it) is purely psychological.

Have you seen Holly Madison's before and after pics? That's about the BEST plastic surgery can offer, so draw whatever conclusions from that you will.

link removed

I certainly don't think she was "ugly", but that is seriously about as good as it gets. I wouldn't expect any difference much more dramatic than that.

But she looks a lot different because of her hair and make up not the surgery, this is the mistake that people make.

I won't try to discourage you from consulting a plastic surgeon, but you need to consult a therapist first.

Without seeing a picture of you, I can't say whether you really "need" plastic surgery or not (though I think that very few people -- other than those who have congenital deformities or disfigurement caused by trauma/injury --really "need" plastic surgery at all), but as I've said before, I think it's highly likely that you're suffering from some depression and/or other issues that are contributing to your perspective of your appearance.

Please see a therapist -- at least a few times --and explain to him or her what you're feeling. It can't hurt, and I suspect it could really help you.

If you go to a reputable plastic surgeon, telling him/her that you "NEED" to be pretty, they're going to recommend you see a therapist first because if what they do doesn't meet with your approval, are you going to sue them for malpractice because your expectations are unrealistic?

They can do many things, but they also can only work with what they've got. They can't turn someone who looks like one person into someone who looks completely different with a whole different bone structure, muscle/skin density and elasticity, collagen density, ligament and cartilidge strength, etc. There's a lot that goes into facial structure and dealing with the skeletal foundation of the face.

Might as well get the therapy out of the way first before seeing the surgeon.

This is the thing...most people have and continue to tell you the problem is on the inside and that no amount of money on plastic surgery will help. However, you don't believe that...you believe you need it and won't like yourself until you get it.

Consultations with plastic surgeons are free ....and they always have payment plans, financing, etc. as they're more than happy to take your $10k plus. If that's something that you can a) afford and b) are sure will make you feel better...go for it. You wouldn't be the first person to try and improve their esteem, outlook on life and perception of their future with plastic surgery.

Go for a free consult and see what they say. I imagine (but have no idea) that they could show you a projected image of what you might look like afterwards.

Don't plastic surgeons have a questionnaire you fill out or a consultation type of thing? I'm pretty sure if the surgeon is ethical he isn't going to operate on you. He'll likely recommend you see a therapist to sort out your body image issues.

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Therapy is definitely the best course of action here but the OP has been posting similar threads for awhile so I don't think there's any way to communicate that to her. Maybe the consult with the plastic surgeon will make her prioritize that as a first step.

Honestley, no. Even surgery has limits, and once you push them you end up looking weird.

And surgery definitely wouldn't change what is going on inside your head. People get surgery because they think it will stop them feeling ugly. But it doesn't. And that leads some people to get addicted to surgery because they think that the next proceedure will be the one that fixes it.

And surgery definitely wouldn't change what is going on inside your head. People get surgery because they think it will stop them feeling ugly. But it doesn't. And that leads some people to get addicted to surgery because they think that the next proceedure will be the one that fixes it.

I completely agree with this. I thought that having my surgery would make me a lot more confident but it didn't. I am still the same person with low self esteem and who still thinks they are ugly. Because i have had one procedure done i have thought about what other things i could get done to hopefully make me feel better, but i know deep down nothing will make me feel better so i wont go ahead with it.

Also having cosmetic surgery changes the things you cant do in life. For example im not allowed to ever go scuba diving and going on roller coasters is too risky.

I completely agree with this. I thought that having my surgery would make me a lot more confident but it didn't. I am still the same person with low self esteem and who still thinks they are ugly. Because i have had one procedure done i have thought about what other things i could get done to hopefully make me feel better, but i know deep down nothing will make me feel better so i wont go ahead with it.

Also having cosmetic surgery changes the things you cant do in life. For example im not allowed to ever go scuba diving and going on roller coasters is too risky.

I'm sorry to hear that, Furbys. What a shame! I hadn't thought of how it might limit activity. Have you done anything to address what you were/are feeling? THAT is a great investment of time, money and energy and can really have an impact. I hope you've been able to find a way to feel better about yourself and that more happiness follows in the new year!

I'm sorry to hear that, Furbys. What a shame! I hadn't thought of how it might limit activity. Have you done anything to address what you were/are feeling? THAT is a great investment of time, money and energy and can really have an impact. I hope you've been able to find a way to feel better about yourself and that more happiness follows in the new year!

I didn't think that future activities could be limited but they are as parts of the body, face etc become more fragile as they have been tampered with. E.g. if you have a nosejob it becomes more fragile because your nose is split into two and any pressure can cause it to break even more which means your nose can collapse.

I urge anyone to seek counselling before during and after (if they go through with the surgery) as you need to tackle the underlying problems which is low self esteem perhaps depression.

I personally have not done anything to address my low self esteem but that is because i feel that it will never get better. This all stems from being bullied all my life for the way i look, how i walk, my hair etc. I was called nasty names, i was told id never have a boyfriend and that im ugly. And when you are told you are ugly by multiple people multiple times you cant help but believe it.

So to the OP, having surgery will not make you feel happier and feel like you are now accepted and perfect, you will still be the same person on the inside and you need to seek counselling before you go through with it.

Honestley, no. Even surgery has limits, and once you push them you end up looking weird.

I agree, but I'm not against one basic procedure to target something specific.

The problem is that you're too vague. You say 'ugly' and 'pretty' as though there are some universal definitions of these. There are not.

Either you're already invested in great skincare, makeup, exercise, dental care and a good hair stylist NOW, or you're not. If not, cutting up your face will bring you heartache because you haven't trained yourself to look your personal best.

If you don't appreciate what you have and only seek to enhance one or two of your features, then you'll be miserable with ANY outcome because your current state is mental, not physical.

Sometimes, plastic surgery will make a decent looking person an unattracive one:

I think you'd do well to concentrate on improving your confidence and sense of self-worth, then and only then should you consider altering yourself. At the very least, seek a professional consultation with a GOOD surgeon.

I think that plastic surgery can change how you look, but not necessarily in a good way.

Judging from your other threads, it sounds like you need therapy. In your last thread I asked you if it's possible that you are wrong about how you look, because when you had an eating disorder, you were wrong about your weight. At the time, you obviously truly believed in your heart and mind that you needed to lose weight, and that was incorrect. Is it crazy to consider you are wrong now, too?

I think that plastic surgery can change how you look, but not necessarily in a good way.

Judging from your other threads, it sounds like you need therapy. In your last thread I asked you if it's possible that you are wrong about how you look, because when you had an eating disorder, you were wrong about your weight. At the time, you obviously truly believed in your heart and mind that you needed to lose weight, and that was incorrect. Is it crazy to consider you are wrong now, too?

Yep -- the thought process is very similar for eating disorders and body dysmorphic disorder -- it's not logical, but to the person having these thoughts and feelings, it seems 100% true.

As others have said sit down and consult a plastic surgeon, a good one with serious credentials who is skilled in surgery procedures on faces. Don't, please just don't, go to the first guy who is out there waving discounts around and telling you he can make you look like (fill in name of whatever celeb/model) is out there. Also realize a plastic surgeon who primarily does breasts or lipo is not necessarily who you want working on your face.

All that said since you are underage yes you will likely have to take your parent/obtain parental consent and hopefully a good surgeon will tell you to wait and/or tell you what can be done that won't hurt anything. You're still growing, your bones are still forming most likely, so make very, very sure you get someone reputable and not a fly-by-night who will make things worse. And if they tell you that you need to see a therapist first then go, listen to them and do what's needed. Don't, again I repeat, don't go to some scammy scummy guy intent on taking your money. I say this because I lived in L.A. and I saw a lot of very, very bad plastic surgery done. So much so I refuse to let anyone touch me, sorry it's my face and there is only so much they can do anyways. I'm older now, I don't want to look 19 and no surgeon out there is that good, they just aren't.

Also as others have said I think you need to see a counselor or therapist, if nothing else than to just have someone to talk to and vent to. It will help, regardless of what the issue is. You seem very intent on only plastic surgery will help you, but I don't see what else you've tried first. Also understand it is a surgery like any other surgery and there are risks to all surgeries including plastic just as there are if you undergo open-heart surgery or have your appendix removed.

It takes a lot for someone to be truly ugly. I think this is in your head. No one is looking at you with disgust. You are paranoid and seeing things that aren't there. Most people are so self absorbed they couldn't care less what you look like, let alone care enough to look at you or make comments. Most people are not that rude or inconsiderate. Seems like therapy, not surgery is what you need. Stop seeking happiness from outside. Look within for happiness, it's there if you peel away the layers of negativity hiding it.

Archived