Getting married in a week. How to calm nerves?

I'm getting married in a week. I have no doubt my fiance and me will be very happy as we've worked through a lot and we've been very solid the last 6 months after going through an unplanned pregnancy (we have an 8 month old son And other things. We are getting married on our 2 year anniversary.

I just feel so nervous and scared. I hate being the centre of attention. I'm not one for getting overly dolled up. I do my hair and wear makeup but I'm not really a massive dress person....

I feel like I'm going to trip up the aisle. Or throw up from nerves. Or mess my words up...

Any advice on how to get through the day or how to relax and enjoy it?

Anyone else felt the same?

Just want some words of wisdom from you guys!

Congrats!!! Just relax. I know it is hard, I remember I was a basket case too on my day long ago. I was such a basketcase when it came to say our vows I had a twitch in both eyes. My soon-to-be husband almost couldn't stop laughing. But you just have to relax and just realize that you're making a commitment to each other. The other people are there because they want to enjoy your happiness. I hope you have an awesome day.

Hi there,

I was the same!! I got sick the wk before im sure from stress and had to cancel my hens cause i was sick! I like getting dressed up but hated the thought of the attention being on me, it wasnt being scarred of getting married it was the whole big weddin ordeal, not having parents and a supportive family and everyone staring at me that had me scarred! But you know about half way down the isle i felt like i was encapsulated in a big peace bubble, like i was on a drug saying to bruce (who was walkig me down the isle ) "wow look at all the people" bruce also helped by talking about fish and chips to distract me as id asked!!! I chose low heels with straps so i didn fall on my face as we were dancing also! Im not sure how to help with the nerve part other than thinking that things wont go 100% smoothly so just go with the flow but know you are not alone! The day goes so fast so try to take as much as you can in and if you can get some video of it to relive it. My husbands a videographer and he sorted all that out and i am so glad, not so glad his mum invited someone who we had not invited so in part of the video this woman was right infront of the screen looking as if she should be in a mental hospital (she really looked mentally unwell) i was so pissed! oh well not everything goes smoothly !!! Be blessed have a great day, breathe deeply, take it all in, think of the end result and your love for eachother- have a great day!! Oh and know you are not alone! Xo

I'm getting married in a week. I have no doubt my fiance and me will be very happy as we've worked through a lot and we've been very solid the last 6 months after going through an unplanned pregnancy (we have an 8 month old son And other things. We are getting married on our 2 year anniversary.

I just feel so nervous and scared. I hate being the centre of attention. I'm not one for getting overly dolled up. I do my hair and wear makeup but I'm not really a massive dress person....

I feel like I'm going to trip up the aisle. Or throw up from nerves. Or mess my words up...

Any advice on how to get through the day or how to relax and enjoy it?

Anyone else felt the same?

Just want some words of wisdom from you guys!

Best Wishes to you!

haven't been down the aisle myself, so I can't help you there... just wanted to extend best wishes to you!

Yeah I stressed myself out too and I've broken out in pimples which I hardly ever get!! So a bit devastated about that.

Thank you I'm wearing flat shoes as I'm so tall I'd be taller than my partner in heels nearly (I'm 5ft7, he's 6ft)

I think I will have a small glass of champage in the morning whilst getting ready, hopefully that will chill me out a little

Dont worry bout the pimples a good makeup artist will fix that! Awesome about the flats! Oh and p.s. prayers help too! : ). Xo

Yeah I stressed myself out too and I've broken out in pimples which I hardly ever get!! So a bit devastated about that.

Thank you I'm wearing flat shoes as I'm so tall I'd be taller than my partner in heels nearly (I'm 5ft7, he's 6ft)

I think I will have a small glass of champage in the morning whilst getting ready, hopefully that will chill me out a little

I like Huntress' advice- I did the same. I spent the 15-20 minutes before the ceremony alone with my sister, giggling. I'd been the runaway bride type all my life, and somehow on that day even though I was a little nervous, etc I was mostly just excited and peaceful all at once. One thing I did was not have a big party so that helped as far as not getting stressed about planning/nerves. Even though you are I'd just throw caution to the wind, understand that in a year from now or less it won't matter at all whatever it is that goes wrong logistically at the party and just focus on the prize that is your husband to be (and of course you are a prize to him too!).

Yeah we've planned quite a small budget wedding. No intense planning. Our after bit is just a BBQ then a small dance in the evening.

I've never wanted a big wedding. My dress was like probably the equivalent of 60 dollars but I love it.

I just felt I'd rather use the money on my son or on our new car etc.

Thank you guys. You've really really helped. I'm totally the runaway bride type! HOpefully on the day I'll wake up a little less scared.

I've never married so I have no words of advice other than congratulations!

At many points in our lives, we come to the end of a chapter and the start of a new one. I think of it as a leap off a ledge onto another that's different and a little scary because it's new, but it's all right. At that moment before the page "turns over", you're looking both forward and backward at the same time. It's like you're stuck in time for a moment as you breathe in and appreciate it. You're appreciating the past but anticipating the future, the unknown. Then you jump.

I call them "threshold" moments and I personally have only experienced a couple but they are special.

So here's to you and your "jump". Embrace it! Change is what life is all about!

Just something to think about as you stand up there.

Many congrats to you and your boyfriend. You guys have handled the unplanned pregnancy like champs. Plus the "other stuff" Very impressive. I have high hopes for you.

I can't 100% relate because I wasn't nervous (my MOH/best friend walked into the kitchen the morning of and said to me, "How can you be so calm sitting there eating that damn bowl of cereal?! It's your wedding day!") but nerves never really played a part which is strange because I am generally a nervous person over just about anything! So on that I can't help but my general advice for your wedding day - soak it in, soak EVERYTHING in because they don't lie when they say it goes in the blink of an eye. The video for our vows was 8 minutes I think but it literally felt like 30 seconds. I promise once you start walking down that aisle everyting will cease but your future husband. I never looked away from L during our vows and it wasn't until that night when we were watching the video of our vows that I saw everything that had been going on around us - my niece walking around, my nephew almost crying out, the photographer being 3 feet away from us on the ground - I don't remember any of it.

But it really does fly by. Just take deep breaths and soak it in. Congratulations!

The wedding is just a day in a long line of days, meant to be a party for you, your friends, your family. Parties are fun! It marks the beginning of something amazing, but not necessarily the best of days, or even if things don't go off without a hitch, the worst of them.

One day. You can survive one day.

Archived