lostnscared

I was told by my dr's offices that pregnancy tests are pretty accurate... if FOUR say you are pregnant I am willing to bet the farm that you are. It is VERY rare indeed to get FOUR positive tests and be NOT pregnant. In fact my dr's office told me they did not even need to see me to confirm that I was, if the test said I was I was.

I do agree for making an appointment for prenatal care though. I disagree though with people telling her she might not even be pregnant. Denial never made anything less true or not real.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well all four pregnancy tests said positive. Unless I got four false positives--then wouldn't I be PG? I mean I haven't got my period still and I was supposed to get it on New Years.

I've had my period be as much as a month late and my doctor said that factors such as stress, regional changes and diet may have contributed to it. It doesn't happen to me often but it has at least 3 times. Also since false positives do occur quite frequently only a doctor can tell you for sure. Until then don't start planning for a move or any of that. I mean scheduling a doctor's visit would be my first course of action if I believed I was pregnant. All of the talk about nurseries, symptoms, relationship conflicts and all that may be for naught if you aren't actually pregnant. Taking one thing at a time is the best way to go about this. Please LS see a doctor as soon as possible and if you are pregnant request a referral to a counselor who might be able to assist you with your decision. I realize that the opinions here may be helpful but the aid of a professional would be most beneficial to you. This is not a promotion of denial but a suggestion that you see someone whose word is based less in the anecdotal and more in their medical practice and professional experience. Some people jump the gun due to their excitement over all things children (and that's fine as the birth of a child is exciting). However, it's necessary to proceed with certainty.

I was told by my dr's offices that pregnancy tests are pretty accurate... if FOUR say you are pregnant I am willing to bet the farm that you are. It is VERY rare indeed to get FOUR positive tests and be NOT pregnant. In fact my dr's office told me they did not even need to see me to confirm that I was, if the test said I was I was.

I do agree for making an appointment for prenatal care though. I disagree though with people telling her she might not even be pregnant. Denial never made anything less true or not real.

I agree with this 100%. My doctor told me she didn't want to see me for a few weeks because I needed to "trust my pregnancy test". False positives are NOT common, and almost always ONLY occur if the user used it wrong and left it out for the dye to dry, ie. reading it too late. But, yes I do agree the OP should make an appointment to begin her prenatal care.

link removed

Pregnancy tests are 99% accurate a week after your period is due. Unless the test is defective or you were recently pregnant and or had a miscarriage it is not common to get a false positive. False negatives however are far more common.

I never had a pregnancy test say I was pregnant and NOT have it be true. I personally do not know one woman to have that happen either. If it happens it is more often a defective test or the person is reading an evap line.

On one hand, there are these things you don't want. On the other hand, they're here for you NOW, ready or not!!

I wish you luck - just don't bury your head in the sand. It only adds more fear to the basket - If you go through, you'll find out just how much stronger you are, versus how strong you think you are!

link removed

Pregnancy tests are 99% accurate a week after your period is due. Unless the test is defective or you were recently pregnant and or had a miscarriage it is not common to get a false positive. False negatives however are far more common.

I never had a pregnancy test say I was pregnant and NOT have it be true. I personally do not know one woman to have that happen either. If it happens it is more often a defective test or the person is reading an evap line.

I don't think anyone is debating the accuracy of pregnancy tests. What I am advocating is that she see a doctor in order to know for sure.

So she should distrust a pregnancy test because it is not for sure? Going to a dr to "be sure" might make it "more real" but I highly doubt that FOUR tests are wrong and maybe feeding her a little hope that it might NOT be real until she sees a dr is feeding her false hopes.

Waiting till you hear from the dr IS doubting the validity of the tests. Just because someone does not want to believe the test does not make them not pregnant. Often the dr does the same urine test.

So she should distrust a pregnancy test because it is not for sure? Going to a dr to "be sure" might make it "more real" but I highly doubt that FOUR tests are wrong and maybe feeding her a little hope that it might NOT be real until she sees a dr is feeding her false hopes.

Where did I state that it wasn't real until she saw a doctor? Clearly the feelings she is experiencing are very real as our the issues surrounding this possible pregnancy. I believe she should see a doctor for more than just a positive test. What is the harm in recommending that she do what any expecting (or potentially expecting) mother would (and routinely so). I think you are reading into my intentions and inferring that I am attempting to provide LS with some sort of hope that she is not expecting. That is not true as I happen to really respect this poster and really just hopes that she is ultimately happy no matter what outcome she gets. So the false hope that you read into my response didn't cross my mind at all.

OG-I know you are well intentioned but the OP's thread topic is not the accuracy of pregnancy tests.

I think it is highly relevant because it is affecting how the OP deals with getting prenatal care. I took a pregnancy test a week after a missed period on a Saturday and after a positive result I called the doctor 48 hours later and went in for my blood test the next day (I was 5 weeks at the time). I am so glad I got the earliest prenatal care possible and that I didn't take additional tests other than the blood test.

Every dr will do it differently as well. My dr said he had no need to see me at all to even do a blood test. Many drs will take the store bought test as proof you are pregnant. I even asked my dr if they would do a blood test and they said it was not necessary. Some will do one.

I do agree she should start her prenatal care as soon as possible.

Every dr will do it differently as well. My dr said he had no need to see me at all to even do a blood test. Many drs will take the store bought test as proof you are pregnant. I even asked my dr if they would do a blood test and they said it was not necessary. Some will do one.

I do agree she should start her prenatal care as soon as possible.

I did not have the blood test either.

And yes, she should make an appointment ASAP, as it may take some time to actually get the appointment.

I stand by what I said and since I am not a doctor I won't be stating whether she is or isn't pregnant. I don't see how anyone could debate a recommendation that a woman who may be pregnant visit a doctor. Latching onto one sentence of a post is nonsensical as the goal ought to be to offer advice to the OP concerning the thread topic. Being a mother doesn't make anyone an expert on expecting which is why licensed professionals exist. My mother has given birth to four children naturally (and seen them all off to college/grad school) and in my opinion is the strongest woman I know but even she would advise the OP to see a doctor before making any plans. She needs prenatal care and/or the assistance of a professional as soon as possible whether she is pregnant or not . LS-I'll PM you anything further.

NO one is saying she should not go to a dr, however I think it is right for her to make plans if SHE feels it is right for HER to make plans and ask questions and advice if SHE wants to.

And you are right I am not an "expert" or dr, however I still think I can give advice on some thing I have personally done.

NO one is saying she should not go to a dr, however I think it is right for her to make plans if SHE feels it is right for HER to make plans and ask questions and advice if SHE wants to.

And you are right I am not an "expert" or dr, however I still think I can give advice on some thing I have personally done.

Actually in my comment, to which you responded, I stated that I was making a suggestion . I went on to mention that LS is someone on ENA who I genuinely respect as a poster and because of that I think all of this talk of baby furniture is premature. I believe it is adding to her stress since she is already experiencing some discontent with the matter. Never once did I command that she do (or not do) anything. Visiting a doctor makes common sense. I will PM her if I have anything else to add.

Ok then, but is it not also her right to tell people to stop if she is stressed about talking about it? It seems she wants to talk about it and wants information, at least to me.

Anyway, it is all up to her and she can tell us all to go away if she wants to. All I was doing was correcting what you said because false positives are NOT that common. It is false negatives that are more common and that is because it is the test that was faulty or the test was taken too soon. It is hard for it to be a false positive because the fetus it's self is the one that gives off the hormone.

Hey everyone,

I made an appointment to take a "blood test" for this Saturday morning. So I guess I'll find out if I'm really pregnant next week. In the mean time, honestly I haven't looked into prenatal care at all. I'm still on the fence about how I feel about having this baby. This whole situation is making really depressed. Hopefully I'm not pregnant, and it's just stress or something that has delayed my period. I also could have taken the pregnancy tests wrong since I was nervous.

I also could have taken the pregnancy tests wrong since I was nervous.

False positives are very rare- unless you waited a very long time before reading the results of the test.

If waiting until Saturday is too long to wait for the bloodtest- in the meantime you could buy another test- preferably digital which says "pregnant or not pregnant" really clearly (instead of confusing lines) and be sure to take it carefully and read the results in the time indicated in the instructions.

I think what you need to do is just focus on the here and now for a little while. I was a little surprised how your thread already took off in the direction of birth stories and parenting methods. Right now you are in a crisis (no matter what you decide) and the feelings you have that are associated with that need to be dealt with first, before jumping so far ahead to all of those other things. That's just my .02 cents. You just need time to get your blood test- to confirm viable pregnancy and then see how you feel. If you overload yourself with too many other things it is going to make this confusing time even harder to deal with. So try to take it day by day.

Archived