Annie's Journal of Dating and Body Hair Removal

annie24

cute guy emailed me on okcupid. this is how it went:

Him: Hi Christmas Cutie!

Me: Hi thanks how are you?

Him: Pretty good, and you?

Me: Good at work for a while today

Him: Wanna hang out sometime?

Me: Haha, sure, but maybe let's say the 31st or after, I'm going on vacation tomorrow. Coming back on the 30th.

Him: Oh ok cool. Wanna come over to my place?

Me: Lol no.

Him: ......

• Replies 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me: Haha, sure, but maybe let's say the 31st or after, I'm going on vacation tomorrow. Coming back on the 30th.

Oh, crap, someone got ahold of my old seduction playbook! They be stealing my moves...

(Is that sort of thing completely lazy and transparent? Yup. Does it usually work? Nope. If it doesn't work, do you know immediately, so you can avoid expending further effort? Yup. If it does work, do you know immediately, so you can proceed to the hooking-up stage? Yup!)

Oh, crap, someone got ahold of my old seduction playbook! They be stealing my moves...

(Is that sort of thing completely lazy and transparent? Yup. Does it usually work? Nope. If it doesn't work, do you know immediately, so you can avoid expending further effort? Yup. If it does work, do you know immediately, so you can proceed to the hooking-up stage? Yup!)

Except that even people who just want to hook up might want more of a conversation/individual approach than that so that does ruin certain easy sex opportunities.

lol. My friend Carol met up with a guy from Okcupid. As soon as they met up he said, "Do you want to go back to my place?" she said no! He said, "I'll pay you!" Mind you, Carol is going through her "loose phase" (paraphrasing what she said) and I'm 90% sure she would have gone home with him had he at least bought her a glass of wine and talked for like an hour.

I told carol this. she thinks maybe he was trying to be cute/funny/flirtatious. He's not bad looking either, but it's hard to tell over the internet. like, i thought initially he was suggesting we meet up for a drink... but no...

"Ill pay You" Are some Guys That desperate? Plus its super rude... Like shes a hooker or something.

Ill be honest... I already got a lady in my place for the first date but I certainly didnt force her! We drank abit she kissed me good night and got back to her place. That was mid august and we were both on vacation and more careless than the rest of the year. It was really unusual but in the end didnt end on a Relationship.

my friend was offended. There's nothing about Carol that screams "hooker." lol. However, she was very studious in college, and never went through that "hooking up" phase, so she is doing it now in her 30s (though is seeing a new guy now, who is driving us to the airport tomorrow, yay!) Anyway, yeah, Carol's not asking for much, i think just a teensy bit of effort (1 glass of wine, 1 hour of talking, 1 trip to the apartment, lol).

wow, looking around on facebook. an old friend (my age) just got married for the first time and has two young stepdaughters. don't know their ages, but I'd guess under 10? but she posted on Facebook a letter that "santa" gave the girls, warning them for being naughty and not nice to their new stepmother and dad, and gave them coal. ok, the kids got presents, but seriously? wow. and then posting it on Facebook?? i haven't really had much contact with her in the last few years. i don't know if the kids are being terrors or not (i'm sure they might be - new mom and all!) but seriously....

wow, looking around on facebook. an old friend (my age) just got married for the first time and has two young stepdaughters. don't know their ages, but I'd guess under 10? but she posted on Facebook a letter that "santa" gave the girls, warning them for being naughty and not nice to their new stepmother and dad, and gave them coal. ok, the kids got presents, but seriously? wow. and then posting it on Facebook?? i haven't really had much contact with her in the last few years. i don't know if the kids are being terrors or not (i'm sure they might be - new mom and all!) but seriously....

What a terrible thing to do! Reminds me of a newsletter I recently received from a parenting expert who is against the whole "Santa punishes children for being naughty"

It’s often easier in the moment to remind our child that Santa has a running score card so they better hop to and shape up. Next time, instead of going for that short-term relief, try stating the opposite:

“I love you even when you’re having a hard time."

"I’m here for you and we’re going to figure this out together."

"I know that you can make a good choice and I expect you to start right now.”

"What would help you move forward or feel better?"

You can still hold the limit while calling forth the best in your child. Try saying these phrases to yourself, too!

Charming

Omg. So carol's guy (not her bf) insisted on driving us to the airport. He had a nice dinner with her, and them wanted to go home to put up Xmas lights, instead of spending the night ather place. Idiotic!!! Ugh. Anyway, she texts me at 7:17 saying she is on the way, great. I go outside. At 7:35, they're still not there. She lives 7 blocks from me, so that was weird. Anyway, it turns out as soon as they got in the car, he needed to go #2, so he went to a gas station, and then another gas station, so then finally he went to her place. And took 20 minutes!!! They finally picked me up at 7:45.

good lord. Anyway, I was about to hop in a cab. He finally picked me up, he has this jeep, and I sprained my ankle getting out of the passenger seat because it is so high off the ground. The airport was insane today!!! There's like 25% of the staff working. We barely got on the flight. Ugh... I'm so pissed at that idiot, Carol is too. She's mad that he didn't just spend the night at her apartment, and then took a 20 min potty break. What the heck?!?! I think she needs to ditch this guy. They have fun when they hang out once a week, but he doesn't want to have sex with her, be her bf. Blah.

-anyway, taking off now.

So far so good! The food is great. Carol and I went to a highly rated vegetarian restaurant tonight. It was so good. Quinoa with portabella mushrooms, pickled onions, toasted almonds, asparagus and a fig vinegarete. However, the portion was so small then we got fro yo after. Last night we went to an insanely good Mexican restaurant. Plantains, street corn and sexy nachos (that's what I call really good cheesy nachos with all the toppings.)

i am am stupid and didn't put on sunscreen and now am in pain from this sunburn ugh!!!

I got back last night from the vacation, it was nice. lots of sleep, beach time, walking around the city, eating so much good food (i ate too much!!!!) All in all, a really great time. I'm sunburnt and bug bitten, so I guess it's all good, lol. Now i need to detox and eat salad and healthy things for the next 4 months, lol.

I'm still annoyed at Carol's dude. He gave her a christmas present (a book by a scientist) and a card that said, "you're a nice friend." (Despite them dating for 3 months.) He's insisted that he doesn't want a commitment, at least not now. He fools around, but doesn't want sex. However, he called Carol late one night when we were both in bed (I was asleep), she talked to him for like 5-10 minutes, and then said she wanted to get off the phone because I was asleep (their call woke me up) and she was already in bed too and didn't want to go in the hallway of the hotel to continue to sit and talk to him. He was actually annoyed with this, and was asking what was wrong. (Geez, nothing's wrong except you're calling so late at night!!) Anyway, I think this guy is a control freak. He wants what he wants, and only as much as he wants. Blah. anyway..... He offered to pick us up from the airport and we're like, "no thanks!!" seriously, it's so much easier to take a cab or a shuttle.

so yeah, trip was good, saw lots of interesting things, got leisure reading done. Now back to the grind....... I corresponded with some guys from okcupid during my trip but no one really notable.

on another note, I went on a tour of a famous alcoholic beverage company. I was surprised how many people brought their kids on that tour (one man had to take his ~2 year old son outside because he kept crying during the 10 minute movie that was being shown). I mean, I don't fully understand. Well, I guess if they are on vacation, they might not have a sitter to take care of the kid, but I don't understand why you'd take your child on such a tour. There were kids from 2 years - 10 or so. Lots of 6, 7 year olds around. Carol didn't go with me, she doesn't like to drink much and said she would not enjoy the tour, so I went alone and wound up meeting some other people.

Oh yeah, and the couple who took their young son (maybe 15 months?) and stroller on a jungle hike. I don't get that either. they were kind of upset they couldn't take the stroller with them - i mean, there's a path, but seriously, it's not pavement. it's a jungle hike. I don't know what they were expecting.

This is so weird. Could he be living with a girlfriend/wife? That would explain being late (can't tell a live-in SO why you need to rush off!), insisting on going home, and maybe not having actual intercourse.

I am suspicious. She hasn't been to his place yet. I don't know if he's living with someone, or maybe he's just very intimacy phobic. Could explain why he is 41 and single. He spent xmas eve with Carol eating at a fine restaurant and dropped her off at 11 PM. she thinks there is no way he would want to do that if he had a gf/wife (she wouldn't let him)??

But tonight, he is apparently spending NYE with his parents and their best friend who was recently widowed and to try to cheer him up. I think this story is weird. Originally, he was going to go out of state to visit his college roommate (they were going to meet halfway), but his college roommate's grand mom or something got sick and he's going to take care of her in the nursing home instead. So now carol's dude is going to hang out with the widower?? I think it's all strange.... I'm not a fan of the guy, but hey. what can I say. most of you guys weren't fans of Logan, but I understand that when you want to see things out until the end, you do it.

oh, okcupid, yes i got one gross guy who wrote to me a few weeks ago. wrote in broken english like, 'why are you online with all these losers? you should date me.' his profile indicated he was shorter than me (not attractive to me), older than my specification, and pictures of him in front of a fancy house and fancy cars (presumably his). very douchey to me. last week, he wrote again like, "bella, you are still online, you should go out with me, i like you. these other guys, they use you, that is why you're still single." he also saw my country of origin and kicked in a sentence like, "just because you live in the US doesn't make you (name of famous 1980s pop star from this country)." I don't want to reveal the singer/country, but it's basically like he said to me, "Just because you're living in the US doesn't make you Cyndi Lauper or Madonna!" ugh. I mean, is he hoping the "negging" works? And Madonna and Cyndi Lauper aren't me either!!

Happy New Years everyone! i'm going out tonight with some friends to watch the fireworks. I'll go with Carol and some other people from my university. Hopefully 2015 will be less of a rocky year than 2014 was. It wasn't all bad, there were good parts too. but just a lot. It's funny though, because i'm in the same position i was in last year (single, postdoc at the university), but so much has happened in the last year. I was kind of sad last night and today, missing Logan/Mr. Unavailable. From within the situation, it's sometimes hard to understand how he was all over me, always wanted to spend time together, etc.... and how he goes from all that to "no thanks." But it's a pointless exercise to try to figure it out because you can never know what's inside a person's head. Carol and I were talking about her guy over the holiday. She doesn't understand why he spends $100+ on fancy dinners with her, takes her on nice, romantic dates, takes her to the airport, but doesn't want to see her more regularly, doesn't want a relationship with her (he says he's not ready to commit... yet), and why he won't spend the night. (I guess he only spent the night once or twice, and that was earlier on). Neither of us really understand what's going on, why doesn't he move things forward? He obviously likes spending time with her, but something is holding him back from wanting more. Does he have someone else? Want someone else? Is the 40 year old virgin (she says he's a horrible kisser)? Why does he get upset when she won't talk to him on the phone late at night, but then he gives her a Christmas card and signs it, "Your Friend, Bill."

I don't know what's going on, but I don't think Carol should invest more time or heart into him because it's not looking good. It's easy to say that from the outside. It's hard when you are in the situation and you see some good potential, and you think if you are just a little more patient, things will turn around.....

been re-reading my journal from this year. crazy year. sigh. hopefully 2015 will be more mellow.

i see on facebook an acquaintance is posting photos of her family who was murdered a few years ago and thinking of them tonight. it's amazing how cheerful and bubbly she is despite everything (she survived the incident). i don't know how people bounce back from things like that. it's amazing.

Archived