Is makeup essential for a woman to look good, especially when she's in her 30's?

renaissancewoman101

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pictures of you! I think you look very nice. I thought of a few suggestions for you that might tweak things a bit.

I would skip any pale colors. They don't do your coloring justice. Go for deep colors or even black and white. This would complement your darker skin tone.

I'd poof up the hair a bit with some root lifter or something to make it stand up off the scalp. Try blow drying or flat ironing the ends under or over or straight to see which looks best.

I'd shape your eyebrows into an arch.

I'd wear some colorful lipstick. Again, your skintone can take the deeper colors such as a deep berry or tangerine.

Those are just a few ideas I had that would add some color to your face and clothing. I think right now it looks too washed out. With your dark hair and dark skin you could really bring some pazazz to it if you added color.

I like odd, kitschy-looking clothes like that, but you are right, it looks tight on me. Right now it's cold out here so I'm wearing a somewhat body-hugging, hooded sweatshirt and jeans.

image removed

I still have to go out. I spent the morning doing laundry and cleaning up around the place a bit. I'll let you guys know how people react to me. And maybe I'll go shoe shopping. I dunno.

I think that's nice - I think you would look good in a low scoop black top as well, you've got GREAT colouring! Or a deep crimson would suit you as well.

I agree with Annie, about trying different things. I've recently discovered jewellry as a way to completely alter my look, and have been wearing amazing heavy necklaces which look stunning.

I think make-up/jewellry/clothes/heels etc are all a way of discovering what suits you, and what makes you feel unbelievably good. Everyone has great assets.

Also - on the subject of make-up; years ago I had a STUNNING friend, who men just adored. She had these mesmerising eyes, and I thought it was an accident of nature. But then once I saw her without make-up, and she was pretty but no longer stunning. Made me realise that eye make-up can completely change the way you look - it was a revelation!

Without make-up, I have quite nice green/blue eyes. With the right shades and lashings of mascara, they become emerald green huge eyes!! I'm such a girl, but I love the fact that you can turn pretty into stunning with the right make-up. Sometimes we have these amazing features that we don't realise are so fabulous until we add a subtle wash of colour etc.

Same with hair - I never liked my hair much when I was younger, then I realised that with the right cut and the right colour, I can have hair that is always complimented!! I think it's about realising that some people are naturally gorgeous (especially if you have the olive skin/dark hair + eyelashes combo), but others can become gorgeous. I find it liberating to be honest, and I love experimenting. I try not to stay stuck in a rut, and try the things that I like on other women.

I like Annie's idea of looking at images that appeal to you, and seeing what it is that you like. Often, it's the subtle things that you can do to yourself, by wearing your hair differently or shaping your eyebrows etc.

I know, this is very shallow of me - but then, if you feel you look good, you tend to act more confidently, and appear more attractive because you feel more attractive.

Have fun playing with the styles!

I think you should wear something on your lips and eyelashes to grab attention, Ren. Men say they don't like it, but it seems that most men are dating and marrying women who fix up a bit.

I do the whole bit, make-up, earrings, necklace. And I always will, no matter how old and ugly I get. I don't do it just when I go out either, and not just when I'm with my husband. Each and every day I do it for myself. Some people wouldn't understand that, but it's just how I am.

Hey there,

I think if your gonna wear it, what you have on is a good amount. I wouldn't do any more though. The lip gloss is especially nice.

If I do wear it it's only to accentuate certain things, not to hide or cover things. When people go that route, they start to look like a clown, in my opinion.

hmmm.... just a warning about heels, if you are klutzy, then maybe it is not such a great idea. i broke my ankle a few winters ago when i was walking a dog and i was wearing boots with heels. (icy sidewalk + crazy dog = 2 months in a cast, 2 months in a walking boot, and 4 months of physical therapy.) my super high heel wearing and crazy dog walking days have come to an end. that fall permanently damaged my ankle, there are some yoga positions i can't do, and some shoes i could wear before, i can't wear anymore. i would hate the same to happen to you.

now, i spend most of my time in flats with good support. if i do wear heels, i like the Naturalizer ones, and i wear them only to special events.

I think with your stature a monochromatic look would create the illusion of height. The top, belt, and slouchy jeans don't create that on you. It sort of cuts you in half and really highlights both halves. If you are going to wear two different colors try a vertically striped shirt with black jeans. This again will give the illusion of height. Stay away from wide legs it will only spotlight your stature.

Jewelry you will have to play with. Nothing too chunky or it will just over power you. However, long necklaces are really great with a turtleneck.

I also suggest getting your eyebrows shaped. Its amazing how your face and/or eyes can look dramatically different with a good eyebrow shaping.

Bangs might help create a different look for you. Your hair seems sort of flat and blah. Some side swiped bangs with a little body in your hair would look tres cute.

Just a few ideas.

if you are already a 'slipper and faller' then don't go for heels. find good shoes for yourself with good support, and stick with that. trust me, months and months on crutches and physical therapy is not fun at all. my ankle still cracks all the time, and it hurts whenever the weather changes seasons.

just curious - did you ever go to link removed ? i think it is an interesting website. i take the test every few months to see how i can improve myself and my health.

if you are already a 'slipper and faller' then don't go for heels. find good shoes for yourself with good support, and stick with that. trust me, months and months on crutches and physical therapy is not fun at all. my ankle still cracks all the time, and it hurts whenever the weather changes seasons.

just curious - did you ever go to link removed ? i think it is an interesting website. i take the test every few months to see how i can improve myself and my health.

Yes, I just went to the site and took the test, quite interesting. It says based on my health and social questions, my real age is 39. Ugh!!!

Ren if you think you'll trip easier in heels i don't recommend it. It can be very embarrassing for a woman in heels who doesn't quite know how to walk right in them or worse FALLS. I have been wearing heels over two decades and it is like some women walking in sneakers - i am very comfortable in them.

If you are 35 and have never really worn them chances are its just not really part of your style and you don't want to fall if your goal is to impress!

It is great to experiment with your style Ren, I just hope you don't obsess over it! You should always dress and wear make up to accentuate what you have, not drown it out. Sounds like you are trying to do just that so don't forget that it is only an enhancer.

As for the fitted blouse you had on, i actually like that but i think it was tight in some places. When you buy fitted clothes be SURE that it fits right. Too loose in some areas or too tight in some areas detracts from the look. IF they fit just right they can look really nice. When i buy fitted clothes (and most of mine are) i have to try different styles to find the one that matches my curves. If it doesn't match my curves without binding in some places and being loose in others i don't buy it.

I find I get the most compliments on the clothes I wear that are not form fitting but that just lay right. I am slim so form fitting is a fine look for me - but people tend to notice more when the fabric is a little looser and drapes in a flattering way, rather than clinging.

I find I get the most compliments on the clothes I wear that are not form fitting but that just lay right. I am slim so form fitting is a fine look for me - but people tend to notice more when the fabric is a little looser and drapes in a flattering way, rather than clinging.

It depends on the person and their personal style. I do not feel i look good in loose clothing. I make sure my clothes are tailored to fit.

It is part of my personal style, and everyone has their own.

I actually look better in loose clothing. Sometimes I also like to wear fitted clothes, but I've never been good in choosing things that look good on me.

I do like the idea of tailor-made jeans. I have a hard time finding jeans that look good on me and I always have to get a few inches hemmed off the legs.

I really don't have a personal style. I do know I don't like real formal clothing. I like wearing black slacks a lot and a nice top (in whites, lavender, blue, or red, and black). I have a tendency to try on things, see how it looks on me, and then buy it if I like the look. I love wearing khaki pants.

I actually look better in loose clothing. Sometimes I also like to wear fitted clothes, but I've never been good in choosing things that look good on me.

I do like the idea of tailor-made jeans. I have a hard time finding jeans that look good on me and I always have to get a few inches hemmed off the legs.

I really don't have a personal style. I do know I don't like real formal clothing. I like wearing black slacks a lot and a nice top (in whites, lavender, blue, or red, and black). I have a tendency to try on things, see how it looks on me, and then buy it if I like the look. I love wearing khaki pants.

Actually you probably do have a personal style ren, it is just a relaxed style. And that is just you. Nothing wrong with that.

There was a little "interest" piece in one of daily newspapers this morning. Apparently, researchers in the UK have worked out that the average "preening" time for a woman in the morning is 40 minutes and that in an average lifetime she will spend 3 years fixing herself up in the mornings.

Double that for my wife!

Archived