Is makeup essential for a woman to look good, especially when she's in her 30's?

renaissancewoman101

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was in a study group one time, and a guy commented that he thought the TA was hot, and he liked how she didn't wear makeup. us girls in the group scoffed, we said, "she IS wearing makeup!" i guess us as women have been playing with makeup for long enough so we know what it looks like, and the guy just sees that she looks natural. i agree with makeup just enhancing your features, not being overpowering.

i've also been wearing makeup since the 7th grade or so, i feel strange without it. like the others, i like to go subtle, concealer, etc... neutral eyeshadow, lip gloss, mascara, etc.... i don't go overboard with makeup unless i am on stage, but then i still look natural from the audience, even though i look like a clown if you are standing 2 feet away from me.

you should schedule an appointment with a makeup counter person, and have them do a whole makeover for you, and see how you like it. usually, i buy one or two of the products that i liked. i highly recommend bobbi brown makeup, it's very natural looking. i've also started using JANE cosmetics from the drug store. i saw a really cute cube, i've never used mineral makeup before. i really like it though, it is amazing. and i liked the price for all that makeup.

you should schedule an appointment with a makeup counter person, and have them do a whole makeover for you, and see how you like it. usually, i buy one or two of the products that i liked. i highly recommend bobbi brown makeup, it's very natural looking. i've also started using JANE cosmetics from the drug store. i saw a really cute cube, i've never used mineral makeup before. i really like it though, it is amazing. and i liked the price for all that makeup.

Actually, last week I picked up some makeup from the MAC store and I had one of the makeup ladies show me how to put it on correctly and also find some correct colors of blush and eyeshadow and lipstick for me.

I kind of want to see if I get more positive attention with makeup, than without.

you may think about high heels - not super high, just to make you a bit taller. they make your legs look longer, and your butt look better. plus, it would give you a few more inches, take off a few pounds, and you might feel more confident, and less people might notice your height.

i'm trying to remember the name of that store.... aerosoles? something like that? go to a store where they make comfortable heels, and get a pair, like 1-2 inches. then practice walking around your apartment for a while before you wear them out.

how klutzy are you?

how klutzy are you?

I tend to trip on things and fall. I don't always look where I am walking and I will trip. A lot of times, I usually have my mind on something and I will run into things or trip, stuff like that.

The only things I wear that have heels in them (1 inch) are boots, but they are square heels. I've thought about wearing nice shoes with heels but am a bit wary.

ahhh, well practice makes perfect. i think that heels make most women look nicer, and many men like high heels also. and you might feel less self-conscious about your height if you had just a few more inches.

go to the mall and find the store with comfortable shoes, and try some on.

I'm actually not an idiot, so I am fully aware that when a girl takes off her make up, the first thing I am likely to do is tell her to put it back on.

Even girls that don't wear makeup, I've noticed do wear so eyeliner or that stuff that goes on thier eyebrows.

Wear make up it looks hot. If it were acceptable for a man to wear makeup I'd wear it too. Its a way to fix whats wrong with ur face. Thats awesome.

Wear makeup.

you may think about high heels - not super high, just to make you a bit taller. they make your legs look longer, and your butt look better. plus, it would give you a few more inches, take off a few pounds, and you might feel more confident, and less people might notice your height.

i'm trying to remember the name of that store.... aerosoles? something like that? go to a store where they make comfortable heels, and get a pair, like 1-2 inches. then practice walking around your apartment for a while before you wear them out.

how klutzy are you?

What I can't understand is why are people suggesting things to this person who isn't into any of these things? Makeup, high heels, etc. Like I mentioned in a previous post its sort of like putting a tomboy in a dress and making them look "normal." Beauty and confidence comes from inside and not from MAC cosmetics nor high heels. Don't get me wrong I love both of those things but I have been using cosmetics since I was a teenager. It sounds to me like this poster suffers from very low self esteem and Im sorry but therapy sounds more like it would fit the bill than lip gloss. Just my opinion.

i just suggest she think about doing these things, she doesn't have to do it the rest of her life. didn't you experiment with a dozen looks before you found one you liked? if she is admiring some of the way these other women look, i'm just suggesting she give it a try. especially if one is conscious of one's height, i think an extra inch or two might help with self-confidence there.

I tend to trip on things and fall. I don't always look where I am walking and I will trip. A lot of times, I usually have my mind on something and I will run into things or trip, stuff like that.

You sound just like me.

I would start off with something like this:

link removed

...something feminine with just a bit of a heel. It can go with jeans, skirts, anything. And you might be surprised at how confident they make you feel.

i just suggest she think about doing these things, she doesn't have to do it the rest of her life. didn't you experiment with a dozen looks before you found one you liked? if she is admiring some of the way these other women look, i'm just suggesting she give it a try. especially if one is conscious of one's height, i think an extra inch or two might help with self-confidence there.

I know. Although I did all this when I was in my early teens. I didn't do it as a confidence booster I did it because Iliked what I saw. I like SJP and her style on Sex and the City but really I couldn't pull off half no take that back 3/4 of what she wears on the show. LOL Heels are tricky and if one has never worn them its like wearing snowshoes. Its just all sorts of wrong there.

hahaha, yes. which i why i recommend wearing them only in the apartment for a few weeks until you get the hang of it, so you don't fall flat on your face in the street, right?

i used to wear heels all the time when i lived in ca, but i've since moved to a colder climate, and my lifestyle isn't really conducive to heels. but, i still wear them when i go out.

Those heels look nice. I should look into getting shoes with heels on them.

A bit off the topic, do I come off as being kind of frantically looking around for a guy to date?

I don't know your history but in the short time I have been here and read some of your posts (psychics).....yes I must say you sound like Henny Penny. You know the story of the hen who runs around yelling the "sky is falling." Instead of that you are running around searching for any possible way to find a relationship. Friends or b/f's. Haven't you heard stories from people who say they found love when they weren't even looking. I think that is because they finally have become comfortable with themself and that inner light shines through to guide the way to that special someone entering your life.

no, not really - i think it sounds like you are going through a period of self-discovery, where you are trying to figure out what does and doesn't work for you. i'm glad you ditched some of those guys you dated before, they didn't sound good for you at all.

Yes, I am going through a period of self-discovery. Part of that has to do with me feeling like I am getting old and not doing anything about my life to improve my looks and attraction value to guys. As Tim once said, I dress like my mom and she's in her 60's. People out here are so good-looking and dress to the 9's, compared to living out in Wisconsin, where people didn't care how you dressed as much.

Trying to discover what makes me look feminine, and less like a tom-boy.

I don't know your history but in the short time I have been here and read some of your posts (psychics).....yes I must say you sound like Henny Penny. You know the story of the hen who runs around yelling the "sky is falling." Instead of that you are running around searching for any possible way to find a relationship. Friends or b/f's. Haven't you heard stories from people who say they found love when they weren't even looking. I think that is because they finally have become comfortable with themself and that inner light shines through to guide the way to that special someone entering your life.

Carriebradshawny, you could be right too. Right now I feel like I want to find friends and a bf. Part of this is because I feel lonely and I feel like I am getting a bit towards the older side of the age range to be attractive to a guy. I'm 34 and sometimes I feel I will always lose out to a women who is younger and more attractive-looking than me, esp in a social climate like the one out here in CA.

Maybe if I look better and get looks from guys, I'll feel better about myself and feel more confident.

well, the midwest and ca are definitely different. every region has its way of dressing and whatnot. i do agree that you need to find what works for you and what you are comfortable with. i do honestly believe that there are a lot of men in ca who would find your laid back style and not so much makeup a turn on. but i can understand with playing around with a new look, it is good to do that, so you don't ever get stuck in a rut. as we get older, we have to see if that works for us.

on the plus side, i think you are very youthful looking, and that is great.

here's an idea i read, i might just try it - put together a 'lookbook.' just tear pages out of a magazine when you see makeup, hair, clothes you like, and assemble it into a binder. try to figure out what you want your style to look like. ie, sporty, trendy, bohemian, romantic, classic, etc....?

Annie, thanks for complimenting me that I look young. I like all kinds of clothes. I mostly like laid back clothing. I dress mostly in whites, blacks, some purples, blue occasionally, and some brown.

This is something I picked up over the weekend and I liked. My mom didn't care for it a lot. I know I need a necklace to go with it, and I have an idea what kind of necklace would look good.

image removed

image removed

Archived