Finally Asked Him Out, But...He Has A Girlfriend

lexca

I posted a week or two ago about a guy that I'm attracted to...I finally asked him to hang out, explained that I was new and had no friends here...we exchanged numbers, texted all night that night, and made plans to hang out the next evening.

It was a casual hang out, but he seemed eager and excited about it. We went to an outdoor battle of the bands thing and talked a lot, found out we had a lot in common....and he mentioned that he had a girlfriend. I was kind of taken aback, but I rolled with it. I didn't specifically ask him on a date, anyway. He also mentioned a bit later that someone had asked his girlfriend out and he told her to go if she wanted to. (It's also worth mentioning that he's younger than I thought initially and is in his early 20's).

He walked me to my car, we hugged, and awhile later he texted me telling me he had a really good time and we should hang out again sometime. We then texted, again, until past midnight. We're working on plans to hang out again, but I have no idea what to do with this....I'm totally okay with it if we become friends and nothing more. I'm prepared for that. I don't want to be the girl who gets in the way of a relationship.

So...am I doing something wrong here? What is going on in this dude's head?

Think about how you'd feel if you had a boyfriend who was "hanging out" with another woman, going to events with her and texting her until past midnight.

Would you be OK with that?

If not...stop the "hanging out" and find a single guy to "hang out" with.

I second this post. Nothing more needs to be added.

He's looking for a hookup and letting you know now he has a girlfriend. That way later on after you get attached and start angling for more he'll be able to say, "But hey, I told you I have a girlfriend..."

Yeah, been there, didn't do that. You need to dial back the contact, tell him it feels wrong since he's got a girlfriend and you're looking for someone who isn't attached in any way, shape or form.

Otherwise yep, he's all excited 'cause he's like, "Dude, I am the man. I'm gonna be able to have sex with two women!" I'd also be reallly skeptical whether the girlfriend was out with friends, I'm guessing he told her he was working late or had some other excuse. He certainly didn't say, "I'm going to a concert with this cool chick from work I've been flirting with."

You need to work on your BS meter. I can see his ringing from here and I don't even know this guy. But I do know players and how they think and act and yep, you are getting played big time.

found out we had a lot in common....and he mentioned that he had a girlfriend. I was kind of taken aback, but I rolled with it.

Ghaaad. While I join everyone else in raising how crappy this is for his GF, what about you? Didn't telling you about the GF while going out with you strike you as a pretty lousy thing for him to do to YOU?

Skip that. You can't be so desperate to make friends that you'll pretzel yourself into have no standards.

I'd smile and wave if your paths cross with the guy, but I'd move on to make better friends who know how to treat people.

How does his girlfriend feel about the two of you building a friendship, even if it's friends and nothing more? Second question is are you really being honest with yourself when you say you'd be fine with that situation or are you secretly hoping his relationship will fail and he'll come running to you?

Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you. You know he's not planning just a platonic friendship with you and that you're playing with fire. It's up to you, if cheating is up your alley and you are ok being with a cheater, go for it. If not, cut contact and find someone single.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived