Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Musings of a boring nerd

happy_snapper

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a joint camp with the Bristol, Brighton, London and Oxford branches of a meetup group I'm with. It's actually the group I met CJ at, but she doesn't go so much any more.

It's a group devoted to playing Werewolf (A social deduction game).

It's such a strange thing to bring people together in such big numbers, but there you go. I suppose it's a game that requires a fairly large number of players, so you need to find a group if you want to play it.

If it's your sort of game, then it's just so much fun. Always different, always confusing, always throwing new strategies at you.

Now and then we get somebody come along who doesn't really get it. For them, it's a game where you sit about for a couple of hours asking questions to each other and not knowing what's going on, then you die.

A game with no board, no dice... technically there are cards, but they're only used at the very beginning. The only tools to work with are questioning, logic, bluff and the ability to tell when somebody is bluffing.

Okay I think you are the one in green in the middle. Looks,like you had a blast!

I was just checking to see when her surgery is and it is coming right up! They better have her first in line this time so she doesn't have to go through the prep and worry all over again!

I guess it was better that they rescheduled last time, though, because you don't want a very tired surgeon doing the operation.

CJ has been feeling bad about the way she acted a few weeks back (you've probably read about it). She feels like she's restricting my social life.

So to make up for it she's started arranging things with other friends. We went out with 2 other couples from the werewolf game group last night for a pizza. It was really nice, just a quiet social thing with some funny people. They're friends that I don't really get a chance to talk to, other than when I'm accusing them of being an evil monster or trying to eat them.

One of the guys said that it's odd being with us and not having to work out if we're lying.

The problem with big games of Werewolf, socially speaking, is that they take forever to play and they're all about talking with each other. So there's no time to talk before a game, because you need to get started as soon as possible and you can't talk about non-game stuff, because it's distracting and you'll just slow down a game that's already likely to take several hours, without interruptions.

So once the game starts, it's all about the game pretty much. Not entirely, but mostly. That means that there's a group of people I've known for nearly a year, who I don't know very well.

So that's why these social things are so great.

CJ wants to keep doing things like that, and I'm more than up for it.

Well, I've finally signed up for the gym in my apartment building. I haven't been putting it off, there's just been so many other things to do.

I have to have an induction session to show me how not to kill myself with the equipment, then it's free and open 24 hours as far as I know. Just got to walk out the front door, along a bit and down a floor... don't even have to go outside to hit the gym. And of course, back upstairs to use my own shower afterwards...

OK gut, it's either gonna be you or me. This apartment ain't big enough for the two of us... Neither are these jeans.

Right, before I start writing this, I'm going to say that CJ's mum's name is Hazel. I'm not typing out several paragraphs saying "CJ's mum" over and over.

On Saturday, Hazel's best friend and her two daughters (who in effect are like cousins to CJ, although they're not related at all) came over from London to visit. We took them around some of the sights while we were waiting for the start of visiting hours. They seemed like really nice people.

We all had a nice time and they said that they're thinking of moving to Bristol too.

CJ made a point that Hazel has a cousin who lives about 20 minutes from the hospital, but hasn't visited. Their friends (not related at all) who live on the opposite side of the country, jumped on a coach as soon as they could, so that they could visit.

Anyway, once we'd tired them out with loads of walking, we all went to the hospital to see Hazel.

She's doing very well, no complications. To be honest, if it wasn't for the tubes coming out of her, you could easily think she'd come in for a checkup, rather than having a chunk of her lung removed. She was sat in a chair, smiling, talking, happy to see everybody. To the untrained eye, she looked exactly the same as when I'd seen her sat in her living room. CJ said she could tell that she was in some pain, but she'd never show it.

But the nurses said that she's being sensible and telling them when she needs something, rather than just putting up with everything, which can be a problem with highly self-reliant people.

We made a little video message for the rest of the family and for us to look back on years down the line.

After about an hour I took the girls downstairs for a coffee and left her friend with Hazel to talk. They hadn't seen each other since she moved to Bristol last year, so they had about 14 months worth of gossip to discuss. We had time for a couple of coffees.

Archived