Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

redrose85

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were originally going to go out for Thai (mmm BBQ duck) but then I said, well, we went out for dinner last Saturday. We should stay in. So we got chinese. Then we decided, well, why pay to go to a play when we have free movie tickets kicking around? We decided to go see Jack and Jill. BAD idea. We left 30 mins in because it was just unbearably bad. Maybe it got better, but we didn’t want to stick around to find out. Sad that I wasted my free tickets on that, but oh well. We decided to go for drinks and headed to a cozy corner lounge downtown and I sipped a chocolate martini while he had a long island. We cuddled and talked and watched a bit of soccer I like this date night thing!

The brother is heading to China tomorrow for a week or so. I think he is probably going to be staying with us for at least a few months, but I’m totally okay with it. He’s a great houseguest and more than welcome to stay however long he needs to.

I'm so glad you guys had a nice date night, even though the movie was a bust. Could you not get a refund of your free tickets (i mean, get them back) for leaving? Usually theatres will let you do that if you leave before mid-movie. I've done that before.

There were no staff to be found, so we sacrificed. Truthfully, we both just wanted out LOL.

Production Sunday for the paper could have been a total gongshow (well, it was!) but it was still fun. In my section, a contributor and I did a huge 5000 word spread on facts about the local politicians (election on the 19th). It was 7000 words, but by the time I was done picking 2000 words out by picking apart their “platforms” it fit onto three pages. The article itself was very late--- I finally finished it at 11 am this morning. I was expecting everyone to be mad at me, but we all just rolled with it and got it done even with the servers and computers crashing all day long, running out of toner, the printers (yes, both of them) breaking down. Because the printers died, we had to copyedit on screen. My eyes are killing me, but I know the others have it worse.

I am eternally grateful for the art director’s patience. I think we really bonded today. Last year there were some major personality clashes. This year, we have a really cohesive team, which is awesome. The next issue marks the halfway point, and then we get a month off!! I am going to put some photos up on facebook to show how we stayed sane today. I hope you guys enjoy them.

L and I should have gotten up and walked out of The Three Musketeers. SO bad. Not even Orlando Bloom's hotness could make up for that movie.... the only funny moment was between L and me when he said, "Orlando sucks at doing a British accent." I turned to him and went, "That's odd because he is British." And we preceeded to break out my Droid and wiki him. Only funny moment.

Yeah you’ve turned me off from that one for sure.

Have to work at 6. First early shift in awhile. Yuck!

This week we have THREE restaurant dinners to go to for birthdays. That’s hard on the wallet! Maybe we’ll eat dinner beforehand for two of them and only have appies, and one we’ll order an actual dinner. I just feel so wasteful and indulgent eating dinner out three times in one week. I also can’t forget that Alex doesn’t work for two weeks in December. He’s trying to make it so he can have his vacation time paid out so he IS paid for that time, but we could very well be left with two weeks of only my pay.. which is never fun. Trying to be frugal while still supporting friends... We love our friends, and we want to go for sure. I just don’t know how else to do these birthdays on the cheap. Any ideas?

Oh, my Dad called tonight asking if our wedding was January 2014 LOL. I have no idea where he heard that, but I said basically that we do want a winter wedding for sure, and we want to go up the mountain. I think he was a little confused that we wouldn’t be going to a church, or likely won’t. But then again, we know we want our kids to be christened and baptized, so maybe we should have a church ceremony. At any rate, I told him that it depends on how my post-college job search goes. In a perfect world it would be January 2013, but we will see! We are steadily saving up now which makes both of us really happy

I got a dishwasher!! I found a free one and tried to pick it up today...but it wouldn’t fit in my car (oops!) so the couple delivered it tonight. I gave them $10 because I was so grateful they gave it away AND delivered it. Alex and I need to go find the piece that fits onto the faucet (it’s a portable) then I can test it out. He told me he was going to get me one for christmas, but I was like, free is better! It has chomped up a fair bit of dining space, but I don’t care! It’s more counter space AND a timesaver.

We got an engagement card from my dad and stepmom today. That gave me the warm fuzzies I called him after I got it and we had a pretty good talk. Next Christmas, Alex’s Dad wants everyone to go to this hot springs resort. His Mom (they’re divorced and bitter rivals) immediately got uppity because it’s “her” christmas. Last year, it was “his” christmas, but she came out here and it ended up being “hers” and then the Dad was upset.

To make matters worse, Alex wasn’t feeling well the day he was supposed to go see his Dad for christmas and I had to work, so he REALLY didn’t get a christmas with us. It’s like a tug of war and now I’m involved. I’ve been noticing some things about MIL that are a bit "red flaggy." For instance, she booked that trip in October without telling us, then called us and told us she’d be paying for the whole thing, and she offered to pay my tuition. Now when I talk to her, she hints at her high credit card bills in a really passive aggressive way. This is why I don’t accept help from people!

Alex just told her that if she wants to come out here for Christmas, she can. Maybe she’ll take him up on that, but I think she’ll be working. How ridiculous is it when parents fight over their grown children?...

Yay for a dishwasher! That's a MUST in my house, lol!

Wow... imagine what it's going to be like when you guys have kids. It's ridiculous. The kids are grown, stop bickering like they are 3! There can't be a his and her xmas when it comes to the grandkids.. they are going to have to suck it up.

Did you guys accept her tuition offer? I know you were talking about it before.

Yes, it was the one thing missing from my must-have list with this house.

I know... It’s sad because when the Dad (and I love him dearly) found out we got engaged, he said he hoped we’d elope so he wouldn’t have to see everybody. That’s what happens when you get back with the same person multiple times I guess. The Mom totally screwed him over, but it’s your sons wedding! Just be like my parents and IGNORE each other.

His Mom says she is moving out here when we have kids, but I don’t know... they’re pretty invested where they are.

Yes we did. She was happy to do it and it’s really helped. But now if she makes a little remark, guilt sets in.

Exactly. Even if you don't get along it's your child's wedding - set the damn differences aside for one day. God. My parents were like that. I mean, my mom tried to hide her contempt for our dad but my dad? No problem in bad mouthing mom. Just ridiculous.

She def. shouldn't be making remarks like that, even if she's joking. She offered - it's not like you guys went to her and asked, she offered.

I went to the thrift store (Value Village) after class today and found some black and silver sequined heels. I just could not put them back, even though I know it was a totally frivolous purchase. I knew I’d regret it, and for $14 why not? I’ve never had anything like them and they’re perfect for the holiday parties coming up.

Dinner tonight was nice. The food and company were great and we ended up with a grand total of $29 for the two of us, and that’s with a caesar salad and pasta dish each. I highly recommend Boston Pizza’s chipotle bacon baked penne... if you have a BP’s.

I’m finding all kinds of little loopholes to avoid overspending on a wedding and it’s definitely going to come in handy when we have some moolah saved up and we can start planning. For instance, a white “prom” dress is generally much less expensive. I have a good friend who is a seamstress who totally wants to work on my dress. The only thing that I really want in a dress is a split front... like the dress my mom made for my barbie. Buying silk ready made bouquets online is super cheap ($30 for one that I loved) This one was a mix of white rosebuds, tulle, and faux pearls. So pretty. I figure, bridesmaids can have wristlets or something instead of bouquets. Favours really seem to be a waste of money. I’d rather do little cookie packages for guests to take home, and I have decided that I really want paper cranes involved somehow. I have a friend who just made over 100 cranes and she can teach me. We will slave over cranes. Other than that, I am clueless. It’s fun just looking and gathering ideas and not having to pay anything

We didn't do favors - my family would have thought it odd, tbh - but yes, SO many ways to save! My dress for back in Feb was bought off Amazon - the only reason I spent $500 on my David's Bridal one was it was our dream dress. Yes, our. According to my husband it could not be short, could not be puffy, and could only be white-white. No ivory-white, no off-white -- white-white. Groomzilla!

Bahahaha. Alex gets NO say in my dress. It’s the one thing that is really really for me. I’m loving the big skirts... tulle princess skirts *drool* but for the most part, I think a lot of wedding dresses out there right now are ugly! Even if I bought a dress online and it wasn’t the perfect size, my friend can alter it. Too bad catering and such is so expensive.

Can’t do our own food if we have the mountain venue. No outside food. After a bit of searching I found a really reasonable caterer here in town, but I don’t like any of the venues and we’d have to rent tables, chairs, everything. With the mountain venue, everything is included. Ceremony, staff, linens, dishware, dj equip, etc...

My book is drastically different from what it started out to be. I just got the marked 2nd draft back and this woman is definitely a substantive editor. I like a lot of the changes she made, but I am worried that her voice is starting to take over... And now I’m seeing that I sent her the wrong file! Damnit!

Dinner #2 was good green salad, potato salad, and crabcakes. Mmmm! Friends of ours want us to do a trip to Cali with them in the summer. It’s “only” $3000, they say. Alex and I were like yeah...only! This woman lost her grandfather and her mother in the last couple of years and inherited a boatload of money, plus a large property, plus a house. Neither of them work anymore, so I think they’ve forgotten the value of a dollar...

Had a little tiff on the way home. It’s been so rainy and dark here all day and I really wasn’t looking forward to driving to this pub out in the boonies, but I offered to, because Alex was so tired from work and wanted to have a drink with dinner. On the way home, my driving wasn’t the best because visibility was crap and I was starting to feel a bit nervous. I’m not all that familiar with driving in that area and I made some mistakes. He started nitpicking at my driving, even suggesting how to brake properly. I told him to shut it, that I was doing him a favour by driving. That didn’t go over well. Sometimes I have trouble keeping my temper in check.

Archived