LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: People Who Disappear From Your Life

People Who Disappear From Your Life

I find that most, if not all, of my friends and acquaintances have disappeared from my life. Some because I moved away, some because we simply lost contact. I understand this happens, but it really bothers me that people whom I was so close to for so many years decided to simply fade away.

I know... people get busy with their lives, people grow, people move on... I've heard it all. But what really bothers me are two things:

1) I have always been the one to reach out, invite, and keep in touch. When I stop, I hear nothing but crickets

2) Even though I try as I might to move on with my own life, I find that I am thinking about this every single day. "I wonder if I'll hear from so and so today. Maybe a text, a call, an e-mail...." But, nothing, just crickets

Any insight on this?

Everyone is watching too much Netflix on their phones, don't take it personally.😱📲🎬

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Everyone is watching too much Netflix on their phones, don't take it personally.😱📲🎬
    So true!

But this started happening before the smart phone invasion...

Platinum Member
    It happens when people move off to the baby farm to raise families.

When that is over, some reconnect.

Originally Posted by jimthzz
    It happens when people move off to the baby farm to raise families.

When that is over, some reconnect.
    Very interesting perspective!

Perhaps it is because I only have 1 child, and I only have him 1/2 time.. that probably leaves me with far more time than someone with a full time family with many children!

Ya life does get busy when you get married and start having a brood. My sis inlaw spends all her time with the kids, and invites family over...that's it. I don't think they see too much of their friends anymore. I find the older you get the more you just want curl up on the couch and watch movies...have a couple of beers, fall asleep lol

Bronze Member
    My situation is a bit different but Iíve lost most of my friends back home once I moved away. I tried to keep in touch but most of them are married/about to get married/have babies, so they have a very different lifestyle. I do think about them sometimes, but I am more focused on my life and my new friends. Do you think you could make new friends?

OP I've felt the same as you. I've had some special people in my life who have moved on, as I have. A couple of them I really miss and since everyone has lives to lead and things to do, we drift apart. I have one special friend who lives a few hours from me in Ontario, Canada and I only see him in Mexico in the winter! Seems odd to have to travel 4000 miles so see someone who lives about 3 hours away, but that's how it's been working out.

Everyone grows and changes, life takes us all in many directions. Like smackie I am often content on the couch watching tv.

Originally Posted by kim42
    Do you think you could make new friends?
    Well, as Smackie says "I find the older you get the more you just want curl up on the couch and watch movies...have a couple of beers, fall asleep lol"

My wife has many friends, so I usually do things with them and get on well with their husbands...

I guess I think too much about why my old friends don't keep in touch...

Originally Posted by Camber 2019
    I have always been the one to reach out, invite, and keep in touch. When I stop, I hear nothing but crickets
    Perhaps they have gotten so used to you keeping in touch that when you don't, they think you don't want to or you're too busy or something. Or they were your friends exactly because you kept reaching out. I used to be like you and it took me years to realize that friendship is a two way street. These days I reach out a couple of times and then wait for the other person. If they don't reciprocate, I move on.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice