Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My boy crossed the rainbow bridge today

Big hugs, I am so sorry. Dogs really are the best, Im sorry your friend Id gone, but I am sure he had an amazing life with you.

Thank you all so so much. It is reassuring to hear others think it was right to spare him pain. I saw yesterday that he knew he was going. I told him I wish I could keep him forever, but if he feels I should take care of another doggie to send him over when it's time. I thought I wouldn't keep pets after him, but if one seeks me out, I will love him or her. Just need time.

I'm flooded with memories of Darko. And so, so grateful. I know you all know how much they mean.

He guarded my mother on her death bed. They are catching up on things now i'm sure.

Pretzel dear it's lovely hearing from you!! I remember you well. A unique girl you are.

My boy was 13. My last one lived to be 18. It is good to be aware of what approaches as they age, but I hope you aren't too fearful of it. You may still have a good chunk of a happy journey with your pet ahead of you. Sending her belly rubs.

Originally Posted by RainyCoast
    Pretzel dear it's lovely hearing from you!! I remember you well. A unique girl you are.

My boy was 13. My last one lived to be 18. It is good to be aware of what approaches as they age, but I hope you aren't too fearful of it. You may still have a good chunk of a happy journey with your pet ahead of you. Sending her belly rubs.
    Thank you!! What a lovely thing to read.

I think mine is around 11 years old, and I'm starting to get scared of the pain to come when the day comes, but stories like yours give me courage that we can get through this, and it happen peacefully, but i think the part where you miss them so much and they come in your dreams, surely can't be avoided is all part of the process. I am soaking up every single moment with mine, because you just don't know how long you have with them, but 18 years with your last one- wow! That's a great achievement :) and 13 for a big dog is an achievement too, as I heard they have shorter lives. What breed was your 18 year old?

Platinum Member
    I am so sorry for the loss of your pooch. Dogs are so special and bring so much love to our lives. Your pup was very lucky to have you as a mom.

Big hug!!!!

I'm so sorry for your loss, Rainy. I hope you can find peace and comfort in your memories...*Hugs*

You're all so overwhelmingly kind. It means a lot.

Thank you LaHermes as well!

I was truly blessed to have had him in my life.

I, like pretzel, and probably others, have become conscious of his clock ticking long before he showed signs. It has been helpful because it made me appreciate tiny moments with him more. I am glad, in retrospect, that I spoiled him, and I dropped indoor rules too as he aged- I didn't try to keep him off my exercise mat, hurry him on walks, or things like that. No impatience, and plenty cuddles. That helps now.

Definitely get the best vets. Not necessarily the most expensive ones, but ones who truly have affection and understanding for both pets and their humans. This vet made it so much easier in allowing both a well controlled chance at improvement, and a chance for me to say goodbye lovingly.

The doggie who lived to be 18 was a rescue staffordshire bull terrier. He was injured as a pup at a place that kept them for dog fights. He had a hip replacement when very young, but did very well mobility wise almost until the end. He too went peacefully. He was humorously but endearingly named Bomber by his first foster mum...for his..umm..impressive digestion.

I only regret not being physically stronger. It is hard to lift a 42 kilo hero! It didn't help I live on the second floor and there's no elevator. I owe my neighbor big time, he carried him to the car daily for checkups since saturday morning. If you have a big breed, and you're a small person, plan ahead.

I am so sorry for your loss.

I am so sorry Rainy. It just doesn't seem fair that we don't get to keep them longer than we do. You gave him a wonderful life and a loving home. (hugs)

Thank you ladies. I wish I could have had him forever. But never unhappy.

It will be strange going to sleep and waking up, but I am tired enough from the last few days to get some decent sleep I believe.

I hope I have dreams of a happy him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice