Sound Off: Would you date someone who hadn't "come out of the closet"?

Would you date someone who is not "OUT" yet, and refused to introduce you to friends  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Would you date someone who is not "OUT" yet, and refused to introduce you to friends

• Yes, I would date them. (Please give reasons for this choice in the discussion thread)
    • No, I would not. (Please give reasons for this choice in the discussion thread)

Dear eNotalone Members,

This Members Sound Off addresses a specific segment of our audience that we recognize doesn't include everyone. However, we encourage all of our members to give their feedback on the subsequent discussion thread, as most of us have either gay friends, family, or acquaintances. As always, lively and provocative debate is welcome; disrespect and flaming is not.

I wouldn't simply because I know for my own experience that it ends in a bad manner. However, if he is not out yet but will come out soon, I would date him.

I say this because I dated a guy and I was not out to anyone and it was difficult for us to be a couple and, at the same time, leave me feeling comfortable. I started dating my boyfriend and I was not out but when things became serious I came out to my friends and things worked out greatly after that (even though we are not together now for other reasons).

I would date someone who wasn't out of the closet because I'm not out either! I guess it also goes back to what it means to be out of the closet. Some people are out to everyone, including co-workers, family, and friends. Some are only out to close friends. One can't deny that there are certain privileges associated with being heterosexual and I can understand not wanting to be discriminated against based on my sexuality.

Also, since one could never guess that I prefer women and I'm very feminine, etc. I like to challenge people who bash homosexuals by playing devil's advocate with them because chances are high that they assume I prefer men. For instance, this past weekend my Mormon roommate was telling me how sick gays are and how her best friend in high school fell in love with her and told her that she was in love with her. We ended up in a debate about homosexuality. She was telling me that man and woman being together is nature's way. I said, "Not exactly. It's been shown that many species will mate with members of the same sex."

Yes, I would.

Coming out is a process...and it most certaintly isn't

black or white.

It's about accepting yourself and sometimes that takes some time.

There are also certain degrees to being out.

Some people are totally out and are comfortable being

out to everyone.

While others choose not to be out to certain people or

in certain areas of their lives, such as in the workplace or

where they feel it wouldn't be safe to do so.

I would want to be with someone who is comfortable with who they are and happy in their own skin.To be that would consist of being open with who they are as an individual and yes out of the closet.

I am not saying someone has to go around anouncing that they are gay,but to be open and out with friends and family is so much easier in the long run if your in a relationship with someone.

It all depends upon the circumstances as to why they aren't out for me.

If they aren't out because...

1.) They refuse to admit they are gay to themselves...

or...

2.) They only want to be with you to indulge some curiosity...

or

3.) They are on the down low and have no intention of being committed to a relationship...

All three of those would warrant a hell no from me. I know from personal experience from situation number one. I was really head over heels for the person, but he refused to admit he was gay even though we made out several times...I refuse to do that again...

However, I would date someone who was gay but struggling to tell family and friends about it...That is understandable because it is very hard to disclose your sexuality in a bigoted society.

It took me a long time to come out of the closet and now 10 years out my life has been so much better. My fears of coming out were much less then I had thought they would be. Now my life is no different than anyone else. It seems to be if I am in the closet, that is how you are treated because people seem to know you are hiding something. which gives them the opinion if you are hiding it you are ashamed. Since I have been out I have had less gay slurs made around me and I am that one .. you know.. when people talk the gay talk.. I am the one.. people who don't know many gays.. I am the one they referr to and I believe I set a good standing for the gay community.

So .. NO NO NO.. I would not take any part of my life and hide it again. So I couldn't date someone in the closet.

For me to be dating someone, they have to adhere to an applicable standard. I believe that it takes courage to "come out" but I think there would be many complications if the other person had not come out yet. Namely if they still wanted the appearance that the were straight and that would mean certain public activities would be a no no. I choose not to deal with the added drama of dealing with a person who has not come out.

been there, done that... well, at the time i didn't know he was like that, but through our relationship there were some diffinate tell tale signs, but it's interesting though, because we broke up (obviously) and he knows i know his secret and now we're really good friends as dealing with this issue for a 17 year old can be very difficult espically when it comes to his guy mates.

at the time of me going out with him, i don't think he excatly knew he was gay, but being with a girl (me being his 1st gf) confermed for him that he was, which was ok i guess as he was open about it with me and we ended the reli before it got serious

My ex best friend is gay and I dated him for a few years in college. HAD NO IDEA he was gay, although I found some of his behaviours peculiar. I was a sheleterd girl so I never suspected just wondered about his personality. Never really had sex with him either. He is still a VERY closeted gay. Is still married to me, has a bf, and refuses to be seen in public a lot with is bf, even though we all now live in CA. Is afraid that people at his work think he's gay. After watching the wretched existence he has, I think people should come out of the closet. It makes life A LOT easier to live.

I'm wondering if anyone that has responded so far ever dated someone before they came out of the closet and kept it a secret. Just curious.

My girlfriend didn't tell her parents about us (or about her sexuality) until we had been together 5-6 months. She let her non-work friends know right away, and wanted to show me off, but she didn't know how to tell her parents and she didn't want her crazy republican boss to find out.

It didn't bug me. It gave her parents time to get to know me without knowing that I was having sex with their baby girl, and it gave her time to get used to the idea of being gay. She'd always suspected that she was bisexual, but she didn't KNOW until we got together. I'm her first (and hopefully last/only) girlfriend.

Her folks took it really well. They love me and they take me out for dinner for my birthday and they get me Christmas presents and everything. They're fantastic parents.

It all depends upon the circumstances as to why they aren't out for me.

If they aren't out because...

1.) They refuse to admit they are gay to themselves...

or...

2.) They only want to be with you to indulge some curiosity...

or

3.) They are on the down low and have no intention of being committed to a relationship...

All three of those would warrant a hell no from me. I know from personal experience from situation number one. I was really head over heels for the person, but he refused to admit he was gay even though we made out several times...I refuse to do that again...

However, I would date someone who was gay but struggling to tell family and friends about it...That is understandable because it is very hard to disclose your sexuality in a bigoted society.

Yes, pretty much all that. If they are not questioning and want me to be a "test run" then it's fine.