Retired after 30 years at the same place

Congrats to you!   

I am partially retired.   Time is still full with errands, volunteering and travel -Covid has made that a bit of an issue-friends, and mom.  What are your interests?   A dear friend had taken up art classes, and she's very good.  I think that you will soon find your time to be full, as you reconnect with folks and discover new passions.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Hollyj said:

Congrats to you!   

I am partially retired.   Time is still full with errands, volunteering and travel -Covid has made that a bit of an issue-friends, and mom.  What are your interests?   A dear friend had taken up art classes, and she's very good.  I think that you will soon find your time to be full, as you reconnect with folks and discover new passions.  

Thank you Holly,

I have volunteered for two adaptive sports programs for years.  The director or one has already offered me a paid position but I think I will stick to the volunteer status for now.  I am also starting a Youtube channel which should be a fun challenge or a hilarious disaster.  I certainly had a full plate after work all these years remolding family and friends houses, fishing, hiking, camping, kayaking, painting show cars metal yard art and several other stuff I like doing.

I am looking forward to continuing all those things but at a more relaxed pace.  Do you have a routine in the mornings or do you just wing it?

Lost

3 hours ago, East4 said:

Congratulations on your long and fruitful career. Hope you will not retire from the forum 🙂 

Sipping an espresso while browsing through the forum, is my proposal for a new habit in the morning.

Thank you,

No espresso for me but I am thinking about a protein shake and working out for 30 minutes.  I have a small home gym and never seem to have time to consistently work out so that should be part of my morning.

I think my time on the forum won't stop just be different.  Maybe early morning check in. 

Lost

• Like 1

Way to go!  We are sort of retired, we have an online biz that is slow at this time of year.  My husband was self employed for 23 yrs before we moved, almost 5 yrs ago.  He's never been so happy despite loving his job.

He's a car guy, he's got projects in his shop and we have 1.5 acres so in the summer there's always something to do.  He's got two of our classic cars done and sorted and there's a few more as well.

We just started painting the living room today, wanted to do it since we moved in.  Finally!

In summer we have breakfast on the back deck, followed by a big pot of tea.  We talk a walk round the area almost daily, even in winter.  We work on our biz as needed.

You have no idea how lucky you are to now have time to yourself to do whatever interests you.  When life gets back to some kind of normal you can volunteer somewhere, you can travel the world (hopefully) and you can take up a new hobby.  

Walk your dog as much as you both like.  Enjoy this time in your life, some people never live long enough to retire and do as they please.  Create new friendships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, lostandhurt said:

Thank you Holly,

I have volunteered for two adaptive sports programs for years.  The director or one has already offered me a paid position but I think I will stick to the volunteer status for now.  I am also starting a Youtube channel which should be a fun challenge or a hilarious disaster.  I certainly had a full plate after work all these years remolding family and friends houses, fishing, hiking, camping, kayaking, painting show cars metal yard art and several other stuff I like doing.

I am looking forward to continuing all those things but at a more relaxed pace.  Do you have a routine in the mornings or do you just wing it?

Lost

That sounds wonderful.  I think you will be surprised at how busy you will be.  

I am self-employed,  so I am able to wing it.  

Have  an amazing birthday! 🥳 

• Thanks 1

Ahh, retirement.. sweet! :) 

My parents have reached that, but still have their dog kennel as active, though part of it went to one of my brother's.

They have remained on their land, built a newer home, so still remain close to the grandkids & my siblings.

Dad remains with his outdoor interests, gardening, fixing up the land, and they walk/ ride bikes.. and yes they stay in routine, come mornings. - Some say the worst thing to do is get days & nights mixed up... But is okay to sleep a little later than normal, since there's no longer that need to be up every day  ;).

My gramps retired & also built their home one line over, he built up a second pond- was like a piece of heaven ❤️ .. So, he had his fish pond and grama did her paintings (canvas, rocks, etc) , baking and sewing/knitting.

My 2 retired aunts, live out west, they keep up with their gardens, do some crafts and have taken the occasional cruise .

IMO, one comes to learn their own 'mode'.. learning they can kick back and take their time and not over do things... Don't put too many expectations on yourself, as you now get to learn a few more things of yourself- ability to try new/more things out there.Will take a little time as you 'adjust' to this change... but smile for fact that you made it!  :) 

You'll enjoy a lot more now .  All the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on your retirement and job well done! 🙂

I would develop a routine if I were you.  Continue getting up early, take your dog for walks twice a day, be industrious with chores and tasks, concentrate on your health, eat well, rest, engage in hobbies, read great books and surround yourself with moral friends and family even if virtually. 

When this pandemic is over, volunteer in your community.  The volunteerism is limitless.  Do charitable good works.  Help at a food bank, feed the homeless, donate your stuff (& declutter), help the disadvantaged, volunteer at your local library and do what is rewarding to you.

If you're faith based, join your local church.  There are plenty of ministries to join, serve, belong to study groups, social groups, be part of community serve groups and the like. 

This new stage in your life will be an adjustment to be sure.  You'll grow to enjoy these new phase in your life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lost,

You sound (understandably) very emotional at the moment. While I am not retired, I have had a few gaps in employment over the years.  I suggest working on YOU, since it sounds like you did a lot of sacrificing for others in your career.  I have a Peloton bike which allows me to spin, stretching and yoga classes.  An exercise routine is something I would recommend. Make exercise the foundation of your day.

I agree with Cherylyn.  Acquire great eating habits, maybe do some gratefulness journaling.

Congrats and good luck with everything!

Sad

• Thanks 2
17 hours ago, melancholy123 said:

Way to go!  We are sort of retired, we have an online biz that is slow at this time of year.  My husband was self employed for 23 yrs before we moved, almost 5 yrs ago.  He's never been so happy despite loving his job.

He's a car guy, he's got projects in his shop and we have 1.5 acres so in the summer there's always something to do.  He's got two of our classic cars done and sorted and there's a few more as well.

We just started painting the living room today, wanted to do it since we moved in.  Finally!

In summer we have breakfast on the back deck, followed by a big pot of tea.  We talk a walk round the area almost daily, even in winter.  We work on our biz as needed.

You have no idea how lucky you are to now have time to yourself to do whatever interests you.  When life gets back to some kind of normal you can volunteer somewhere, you can travel the world (hopefully) and you can take up a new hobby.  

Walk your dog as much as you both like.  Enjoy this time in your life, some people never live long enough to retire and do as they please.  Create new friendships.

All great suggestions, thank you!

I live on 3 acres and I am a car guy too. I have been volunteering for about ten years so it will be nice to do more than weekend stuff with them.

Lost

17 hours ago, HeartGoesOn said:

Congrats, Lost!  One of the few old-timers left here.

Have a great birthday this Sunday, as well.

Hey who are you calling old timer??? 😁  I have been around here a while haven't I?

No plans for Sunday except watch the game alone probably.  My son (lives with my ex) has covid and is struggling which worries me but he seems to be getting slowly better.

Thank you HGO

Lost

• Sad 1
17 hours ago, Rose Mosse said:

Onto a new chapter. 😊

Good for you for having the courage to move forwards especially from a situation that you no longer find fulfilling nor adds to your life in any way. 

Thank you Rose,

Yes I had accomplished all I had wanted there several times over so the challenge was gone.

New chapter here I come!

Lost

17 hours ago, Capricorn3 said:

Congrats Lost!  You have a lot to look forward to and after a few weeks you'll soon establish a good routine.  It all somehow works itself out - no planning required, lol.  Please don't disappear from here - ENA needs people like you! Have a great birthday! 

Aww thank you Cap

I don't plan on disappearing, this place is good for my soul. Each response I write I learn something about myself.

Thanks for the birthday wishes

Lost

16 hours ago, SooSad33 said:

Ahh, retirement.. sweet! 🙂

Dad remains with his outdoor interests, gardening, fixing up the land, and they walk/ ride bikes.. and yes they stay in routine, come mornings. - Some say the worst thing to do is get days & nights mixed up... But is okay to sleep a little later than normal, since there's no longer that need to be up every day  ;).

IMO, one comes to learn their own 'mode'.. learning they can kick back and take their time and not over do things... Don't put too many expectations on yourself, as you now get to learn a few more things of yourself- ability to try new/more things out there.Will take a little time as you 'adjust' to this change... but smile for fact that you made it!  🙂

You'll enjoy a lot more now .  All the best.

Thank you

I spent a few hours yesterday turning the compost pile and checking the garden.  Felt good not having to do it after work!  I already slept a little later which surprised me, I guess my body knows already...

Great advice here, I tend to set the bar pretty high for myself.

Lost

Ahh yeah.. I'm sure it does!  :)

Your mind & body are probably feeling 'less stress' present now?  lol

Well deserved 😉 

Forgot to mention, another thing gramps did out in the country, was cut his own wood & made many nice things... tables, benches, even nice roses for grama.

This last year or so., I have made jams & soaps as well as turning to Youtube to learn to crochet.. has taken a bit, but finally am learning that - as well hoping in next year to sew my first quilt.

The possibilities are endless... just go at your own pace. :)