Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver’s Seat (extended)

4 hours ago, boltnrun said:

One British phrase I don't understand is "fell pregnant". What does falling have to do with becoming pregnant?? 😆

It’s similar to the phase “I fell in love” or “to fall in love”! “She fell prey to his advances”.

Or the phase, “I fell into my job”. It eludes to “finding”! Or becoming! 

I don’t get what’s so weird or hilarious about the English language? 

x

Yeah, we are only 40 million so if 20,000 decide not to vaccinate or in truth probably a million and live together in pockets it does cause outbreaks. We had polio outbreaks a few years ago and measles this year. Diseases that were eradicated on this continent. 

Absolutely  I do think we need medical information. When I was a child, there was no MMR. It was all individual vaccines. However when I was vaccinated the second time for childhood diseases in 2017 it was the MMR plus I had to get another tetanus vaccine. And be tested for tuberculosis. 

My son got the MMR, but our doctor recommended waiting another four months past the year because he was too small for the vaccine. His weight was below the threshold. 

1 hour ago, itsallgrand said:

Yeah polio is no joke. I personally know 2 people that had it in their youth. Both still have the same issues your step dads sister has. 

It is a devastating illness in many ways . Thousands upon thousands died and more left incapacitated. 

1 hour ago, Seraphim said:

Yeah, we are only 40 million so if 20,000 decide not to vaccinate or in truth probably a million and live together in pockets it does cause outbreaks. We had polio outbreaks a few years ago and measles this year. Diseases that were eradicated on this continent. 

Absolutely  I do think we need medical information. When I was a child, there was no MMR. It was all individual vaccines. However when I was vaccinated the second time for childhood diseases in 2017 it was the MMR plus I had to get another tetanus vaccine. And be tested for tuberculosis. 

My son got the MMR, but our doctor recommended waiting another four months past the year because he was too small for the vaccine. His weight was below the threshold. 

You have touched on another blanket point here Seraphim that isn’t discussed - which is, amount of vaccine in correlation to a patients weight.

We understand this when talking in terms of alcohol, and other medical dosage - but here in the UK, they will give a very premature baby weighing next to nothing to exact same dose of vaccine they would give to a plump, huge, 3 month old baby. And it makes zero sense. And under reported, sometimes those vulnerable and weak and very small babies die or get into complications from an over dose of vaccines all at once. The amount should be reduced and the doses staggered, in my common sense opinion. Just like the anaesthetist has to work out the correct dosage including factors like age, genetics, current conditions, gender and weight. In regular, normal weighted babies this is fine - my old best friend is married to a paediatric consultant and we spoke about this for many hours. 

Parents aren’t being told this. We blindly trust experts, we do no independent research. They say jump, we say how high? We trust professionals. But people are human and mistakes are made, especially with new and developing medicine and techniques. Being cautious is not stupid, it is a very common sense, normal and caring thing for concerned parents to be thinking of.

My son is pressured constantly by school to get a flu vaccine very year. He is a fit; normal 6 year old boy. If he was a 90 year old man, I would recommend. But he’s not. The amount of children who die from influenza in the developed western world is absolutely negligible. And they also insist I get it too, which I don’t. Again, I’m a healthy 34 year old woman with no health problems. There is no need for me to take something that isn’t certain to protect me anyway, and in the long run, in my opinion, will do damage. If you vaccinate perfectly healthy people against a virus they would of course naturally fight off, you are asking for virus’s to simply mutate more aggressively. They want to propagate like any living thing, and will evolve to do this more effectively over time. 

The majority of children in the UK are vaccinated against polio, and we haven’t had a symptom of polio paralysis since 1983. The mania regarding this disease is pure hype, in my opinion. 

This is from the NHS website:

Symptoms of polio

Most people who get polio do not have symptoms.

Some people get mild, flu-like symptoms, such as:

• a high temperature
  • extreme tiredness (fatigue)
  • headaches
  • being sick (vomiting)
  • a stiff neck
  • muscle pain

These symptoms usually last up to 10 days.

Rarely, polio can lead to more serious symptoms that affect the brain and nerves, such as weakness in your muscles (paralysis), usually in the legs. This can happen over hours or days.

If the paralysis affects the muscles used for breathing, it can be life threatening.

Most people will recover, and movement will slowly come back over the next few weeks. Some people can be left with permanent disability.

If you are or were unvaccinated and happened to be in a country where polio still is hanging around, there is a high and likely chance you will experience and unpleasant flu for 10 days and then be absolutely fine.

I have to stress, and I am not down playing people who lost their lives in the past, but 100 or so years ago, very mild diseases like flu could so likely be the end of especially children. This was due to lifestyle back then, and living conditions. People suffered greatly and were often weakened before an illness struck. Nutrition wasn’t great, and a lot of Victorian children grew up in cramped, squalid, damp conditions. Childhood mortality was high. Now, to hear a baby died due to living conditions in the western world is almost unheard of - but this was common place 100/150 years ago (our great and great great grand parents). 

I think the majority of people are exhausted from the medical hysteria that surrounded covid, another corona virus just like SARS and MERS and everyone lost their heads. 

No one needs to be in panic mode about a few thousand people choosing to opt out of a vaccine. Millions of parents still fully vaccinate their children. This creates herd immunity. I personally will look into vaccinating my youngest and middle once I know the full score regarding the new vaccines, until then; there is zero panic. I don’t want the potential “cure is worse than the disease”. 

A friend of mine chose not to vaccinate her children due to the heavy metal content in the vaccines which never leaves your body and builds up with each vaccine. Her husband, who worked in a factory, was shouted at one day by three other blokes there saying he was a “baby killer”. It’s not acceptable. We have, thank God, for now, freedom to choose. I don’t think any parent should be shouted at or preached at regarding vaccines. When the child is old enough, they can easily go and get the vaccines if they change their mind, or have them at a later date. It’s a parents choice. 

Thousands of people die from influenza every year, mostly very elderly and people with other severe medical conditions, but I am still not going to fly into panic mode and take the flu vaccines when I simply don’t need too. I’m not in the business of putting things into my body just because. I think we have lost all trust and confidence in our own immune system, and it’s phenomenal ability when healthy and in a good condition. 

And again, I’m not some hippy who rubs crystals and has vegan children, I’m quite the opposite, but many normal and not totally stupid mothers like me have made an informed choice. As research comes out; I will look at it, read it, and reassess. You can’t be more fair than that. 

I was told countless times by not having the Covid vaccine I was by proxy killing off thousands of elderly. I knew that wasn’t true then and, we now know it’s not true now. So I stand by my initial research regarding that one too. We as a family have had Covid before, not much that I know of but at least once or twice, and all had cold symptoms, a mild temperature, then everything was fine. My husband had stomach cramps for a day or two; I just had a sore throat. I was 31 when I first had it. People were texting me stricken with worry. It was all very nice but, it’s respiratory flu. I would like to think I can take a lemsip and get over that fine and well! And did! If I had been 80, I would have been a bit more worried. My Grandad had it at 89 and took a week in bed then was over it. I know not every elderly person was so lucky, but he was otherwise healthy and in good nick at the time, and shock horror, unvaccinated! 

x

My son never tripled his body weight until he was an about 15 months so he was only 5th percentile for weight . He was 19 pounds at 15/ 16 months. 

I will say I had influenza A and I have never been so sick in my life . Seriously . Even Covid wasn’t as bad. I was in bed for 9 days and I could barely move. I was in agony all over . I couldn’t do anything even when I heard my son sobbing in his room because he had it as well. Our entire extended family got it and almost all of us got secondary infections requiring antibiotics. My mom also ended up with pneumonia for the 8th time in her life because of it also my 12 year old foster sister . I got bronchitis and sinus infection and ear infection due to it . My son was the only one not to get a secondary infection. My husband never got it at all because of course the Military vaccinates them for absolutely everything. He was the only one left standing . He’s actually never had the flu in his life. 
My doctor was insistent that I be vaccinated against pneumonia because I am diabetic. Diabetes weakens your immune system plus your sugars absolutely skyrocket if you have a major illness. 

My son will only get vaccines that have been around for decades which flu has been.

I get the flu shot because I'm regularly around the elderly. A flu probably won't kill me, but giving it to someone else might kill them. I'm thinking it's the same reasoning with asking parents to get it. Their kids could give it someone else through the school and activities, and it spreads to those with compromised systems. 

I'm not giving an opinion either way, just saying I get why it may be asked. 

18 minutes ago, itsallgrand said:

I get the flu shot because I'm regularly around the elderly. A flu probably won't kill me, but giving it to someone else might kill them. I'm thinking it's the same reasoning with asking parents to get it. Their kids could give it someone else through the school and activities, and it spreads to those with compromised systems. 

I'm not giving an opinion either way, just saying I get why it may be asked. 

That influenza bout I was talking about killed my grandfather. True he was almost 93 but he still had life left . He was bright as a tack. 

Is it the medication or improvement ? My anxiety seems much less on my new medication . My medication is for sleep at the dose I am on but has improved my anxiety and mood as that was its primary function at higher doses. Strangely I don’t find myself using my usual safety visualization at night anymore. I am eager to go to bed sleep comes much easier and I sleep a lot longer . I am sure that adds to less anxiety and better mood regulation etc etc . But so strange I don’t utilize the visualization anymore. Am I improving after 44 years or is this just medicine?

• Like 1

Wow, I just found out one of my friends was put on life support due to a bout with the flu. 😓😓😓😓I am not even joking . I know we just had this conversation. She flatlined and they were able to bring her back and put her on life support . I looked after her kids for years . 😓😓😓they are only teenagers. 

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

Wow, I just found out one of my friends was put on life support due to a bout with the flu. 😓😓😓😓I am not even joking . I know we just had this conversation. She flatlined and they were able to bring her back and put her on life support . I looked after her kids for years . 😓😓😓they are only teenagers. 

Wishing her a speedy recovery.  How scary! I started getting the flu vaccine in 1999 after what I assumed was the flu.  

4 minutes ago, Batya33 said:

Wishing her a speedy recovery.  How scary! I started getting the flu vaccine in 1999 after what I assumed was the flu.  

I started after my grandfather died . I have only had flu once in my life and that is all I want to be sure . My son gets the vaccine as well because he said he actually felt like he was going to die when he had the flu. I said you and me both buddy . It was BAD. I am pretty tough as people go but when my husband was driving us home the 4 hours from Christmas when my son and I had the flu I literally sobbed every time he hit a road bump because everything hurt that bad. 

• Like 1

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/news/2024/02/universal-access-to-diabetes-medications-and-diabetes-device-fund-for-devices-and-supplies.html

Canada is coming up with Universal Pharma especially for diabetes medications and supplies as they can cost thousands and thousands a year. Many can’t afford their medications and supplies. I wish I could switch to the continuous sensor but it is $300 a month and my insurance plan only pays $700 a year. 

My mom was in a car accident yesterday. Someone hit her from behind at a light . The light was green, but my mom was stopped because two people in front of her were stopped . The  young lady was staring at her phone glanced up, saw a green light and stepped on the gas. 🙄🙄🙄.  After  she hit my mom she gets out and she said , “oh I  didn’t know you were stopped. All I saw was the green light.”  When my mom said she was in pain she says to my mother , “ oh you’re fine, fender benders happen all the time .” She said to my mother, “this has happened to me before “and then when she saw the look on my mother’s face, she said “oh yeah, somebody smacked into me .” Riiiiighhht 🙄🙄She told my mom nothing happened to her car because my mom didn’t get out. No , it isn’t her bumper is cracked in half and pulled apart from her car on one side. My mom said I’m 78 years old. I’m not a spring chicken and I’m hurt. My mom has bad osteoporosis and a horrific back and neck. 
I went down and looked after my mom took her to the collision reporting centre. Got her groceries filled up her car with gas. Made sure she was safe at home and returned home.. My brother went to the scene of the accident and drove her car home and then returned to work.

• Sad 1

She should be ok if I can get her to call her damned doctor . She is more worried about her car. I said your health comes before your car. Plus there’s the move coming for you in three weeks for me in two weeks. I said you’re not going to be able to do anything. I was there yesterday. She still has pictures all over the walls she think because they packed up her China cabinet and some of one of her rooms that she’s even close to packed. It’s ridiculous. I know I am going to end up packing her crap as we load 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️😞😞😞My husband is going to lose his mind. I talked to my husband on the phone and he is ready to lose his crap because he knows she won’t be ready and it will all be on us . 

I know she is going to be sore for months. 

I have only been packing for 1/2 a day and my back is killing me . 

As a chiropractor I listen to on the radio likes to say “if the car was damaged you were damaged “. Not to say it’s serious ! But according to him there’s always an impact that should be checked out.