Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver’s Seat (extended)

I haven’t heard anything about my colon test but no news is good news. In another week I am going to guess it is normal. Because if they detect cancer they legally have to tell you within two weeks. I mailed it on the 25th so they would have the results already and my doctor would know already. 

I stared advertising my daycare in my new location and already have 7 interested parties. 😃

We have gone below 1000 cases of COVID a day which is great and the adult vaccinated rate is almost 60%. 

• Like 1

So we just learned my FIL is not doing well . He has stopped communicating with everyone. We are trying to get down not this weekend but the next one. It will be so sad if we both lose our dad’s  within a year. My poor darling husband it is his birthday next week too and my poor son to lose both grandpas in such a short time . 

• Sad 2
5 hours ago, boltnrun said:

My kids lost their grandmother (my mother) and their "Papa" (my FIL) within 6 weeks. It was a terrible year.

I'm so sorry.

It is always so sad. I was very young when my mom’s parents died. I was 8 when my grandpa died and 13 when my grandma died. I was 34 when my other grandma died and about 46 when my grandpa died. My son isn’t super young so at least he will always remember his grandparents. I have about 4 memories of my mom’s dad. 

I was young when my grandparents died, too. Actually, my dad's mom died in 1948, so I wasn't even born. My dad's dad died in 1979, when I was two. I don't remember him at all. He looked like Robin Williams, though. My mom's dad died in 1982, when I was about five. I do remember him, but my memories are very hazy. I really only had one grandparent growing up: my mom's mom (Yia-yia). 

• Sad 1
12 hours ago, Jibralta said:

I was young when my grandparents died, too. Actually, my dad's mom died in 1948, so I wasn't even born. My dad's dad died in 1979, when I was two. I don't remember him at all. He looked like Robin Williams, though. My mom's dad died in 1982, when I was about five. I do remember him, but my memories are very hazy. I really only had one grandparent growing up: my mom's mom (Yia-yia). 

It is so hard to lose family . 

2 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

It is so hard to lose family . 

My family does not live long. My mother and her siblings all died in their early 70s or younger. It's a bit unsettling to think I only have another 15-20 years on this earth if I follow the family trend. I'm already 3 years older than my mom was when she died. Very strange feeling.

25 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

My family does not live long. My mother and her siblings all died in their early 70s or younger. It's a bit unsettling to think I only have another 15-20 years on this earth if I follow the family trend. I'm already 3 years older than my mom was when she died. Very strange feeling.

My mom’s dad was 60 when he died so my mom is 15 years beyond him. Her mom was 73 when she died and my mom is now 75 so she outlived both her parents. But most of her cousins made it far into their 80’s. 

My dad was 74 when he died but his father was 93 when he passed. His mom was 78. But my father never look after his health, ever. 

My husband’s family has A LOT of longevity. 

22 hours ago, Seraphim said:

010347AB-178F-4631-943A-5A6984573F32.jpeg

This seems very fitting for your business and profession Seraphim!

I remember taking this years ago and getting 4, ‘The Individualist’ - my husband got the same result. Has your husband and son taken this test? Would be interesting to see what their results are! I always find stuff like this fun.

I sometimes think it would be interesting for everyone on ENA to take one of these and see if their results matched up to how we all perceive that person through their interactions over this forum 🙂

Lo x

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I am REALLY super attracted to off grid minimalist living . I want that for my future. 

SO AM I!!!!

I saw this exact video a few years back! What impressed me is they did it all with a baby!

Sometimes at night, when I can’t sleep, I picture a log cabin in the middle of nowhere and take myself inside, to a log burner, boots drying, the smell of pine, crammed shelves of pickled jars and up a ladder a cosy, tiny, and many quilted bunk bed! When I was a tiny tiny kid I used to imagine something very similar but it was a Viking longhouse in the middle of winter, with an open fire at the centre and people snuggled into blankets wrapped like bags around them close to the walls. 

There is just something so peaceful and relaxing about the shelter from extreme conditions. It’s almost like being back in the womb.

I started dabbling in minimalism a year back. I hate clutter anyway. There was something extremely therapeutic about stripping everything back, starting with the contents of my closet. But! I have a terrible twitchy shopping addiction and I hate myself for it but I ended up just replacing or buying new things! But, I still LOVE the idea!

Thinking of moving to Alaska? 😉

Lo x 

17 minutes ago, mylolita said:

This seems very fitting for your business and profession Seraphim!

I remember taking this years ago and getting 4, ‘The Individualist’ - my husband got the same result. Has your husband and son taken this test? Would be interesting to see what their results are! I always find stuff like this fun.

I sometimes think it would be interesting for everyone on ENA to take one of these and see if their results matched up to how we all perceive that person through their interactions over this forum 🙂

Lo x

No ,they haven’t taken any ,they’re not really interested in personality tests at all. But if I had to peg them I would say my husband is a peacemaker and my son is an individualist. And me , I’ve always been a helper since I was incredibly small. I taught helping to my husband. His family is incredibly introverted and insular. But he is far more of a peacemaker than I am . I can be very outspoken. My son is very outspoken far more so than I am. 

2 minutes ago, mylolita said:

SO AM I!!!!

I saw this exact video a few years back! What impressed me is they did it all with a baby!

Sometimes at night, when I can’t sleep, I picture a log cabin in the middle of nowhere and take myself inside, to a log burner, boots drying, the smell of pine, crammed shelves of pickled jars and up a ladder a cosy, tiny, and many quilted bunk bed! When I was a tiny tiny kid I used to imagine something very similar but it was a Viking longhouse in the middle of winter, with an open fire at the centre and people snuggled into blankets wrapped like bags around them close to the walls. 

There is just something so peaceful and relaxing about the shelter from extreme conditions. It’s almost like being back in the womb.

I started dabbling in minimalism a year back. I hate clutter anyway. There was something extremely therapeutic about stripping everything back, starting with the contents of my closet. But! I have a terrible twitchy shopping addiction and I hate myself for it but I ended up just replacing or buying new things! But, I still LOVE the idea!

Thinking of moving to Alaska? 😉

Lo x 

For my retirement I would love to just RV around North America. And just Boondock everywhere. That is my dream retirement. Five more years to retirement for me and eight for my husband. 

4 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

No ,they haven’t taken any ,they’re not really interested in personality tests at all. But if I had to peg them I would say my husband is a peacemaker and my son is an individualist. And me , I’ve always been a helper since I was incredibly small. I taught helping to my husband. His family is incredibly introverted and insular. But he is far more of a peacemaker than I am . I can be very outspoken. My son is very outspoken far more so than I am. 

This is why I like the sound of your son!  Smart boy! Haha!

It’s a lovely personality trait to have, the drive to help, I admire it greatly.

And about the RV! Very cool idea! There are so many videos on YouTube regarding that lifestyle. I think there are many pros and cons to a minimal, off grid kinda self sufficient vibe. Counting down your years seem wrong though Seraphim! Is there anyway you could dabble in your dream even now, instead of waiting? 

I was talking to a friend who told me about her 10 year plan and this kinda thinking blows me away, it’s just so alien too me. I don’t know what I’ll be doing in 1 year yet alone thinking and planning for 5, 8, 10! But I think this is more normal than not! But it always seems like people are planning on starting living “in the future when all is well” as Morrissey puts it and, I don’t know, maybe I am far too unrealistic but I always think, why wait! Is there any way you could dabble now if it’s something you really want to do?

Lo x

6 minutes ago, mylolita said:

This is why I like the sound of your son!  Smart boy! Haha!

It’s a lovely personality trait to have, the drive to help, I admire it greatly.

And about the RV! Very cool idea! There are so many videos on YouTube regarding that lifestyle. I think there are many pros and cons to a minimal, off grid kinda self sufficient vibe. Counting down your years seem wrong though Seraphim! Is there anyway you could dabble in your dream even now, instead of waiting? 

I was talking to a friend who told me about her 10 year plan and this kinda thinking blows me away, it’s just so alien too me. I don’t know what I’ll be doing in 1 year yet alone thinking and planning for 5, 8, 10! But I think this is more normal than not! But it always seems like people are planning on starting living “in the future when all is well” as Morrissey puts it and, I don’t know, maybe I am far too unrealistic but I always think, why wait! Is there any way you could dabble now if it’s something you really want to do?

Lo x

Absolutely , we could rent an RV maybe next summer and test out how we like it. There still won’t be a lot of travelling even into this summer. But hopefully next summer everything will be back to normal. 

It seems pretty incredible more than half my life is gone. With the rest of the life that I have left I just want do things that I love. 

I used to listen to the Smiths and Morrissey all the time. In the really depressive periods of my life I was more into alternative emo  kind of music. 

I want to get a van conversion. An RV would be too cumbersome to drive and park and it's just me. My brother thinks a tiny house is the right choice but you can't drive it and you need a tow vehicle and a trailer and somewhere to set the house. With a van conversion you can park it anywhere. 

My mother taught me to do a lot with very little. One of my favorite quotes is from Nascar driver Dave Marcis. He said "We've done so much with so little for so long, by now we can do anything with nothing!"

20 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

One of my favs 

Well exactly! Don’t leave it too late! Enjoy your time now, especially if you have the means too or can make it work! 

This song was written about Hartlepool! Absolutely love Morrissey. Definitely top 10 invited dream dinner party guest. If you could have anyone, dead or alive, at your ideal dinner party, who would they be?

So many songs of his, and most I weirdly don’t find depressing at all! I love ‘A Boy With A Thorn In His Side’ and ‘Back To The Old House’ and God, there are so many aren’t there! I used to have an American pen pal friend back in my teenage days and he loved Morrissey. I didn’t realise he was so popular in America until he mentioned it. 

He’s like, the music for the outcast or fringe introvert or something. Poetry! 

x