Open Club  ·  99 members  ·  Free

Journals

Life in the Driver’s Seat (extended)

Something popped into my mom’s mind today. I had a paternal great uncle who was considered “ slow”. He was one of the brothers of my paternal grandmother. My mom only met him about 10 times, but she said the support needs he had very much resemble my son’s and his social skills resemble my son’s. She believes he was Autistic. My great Uncle D passed away in 1979 and the last time he would have seen me was about 1970. I don’t remember him. He was 59 when he passed of a  heart attack caused by diabetes. 

My father-in-law passed away today at 8:59 PM. Almost exactly 10 months after my father. 

It is kind of fitting that it is today. My in-laws came to Canada in 1960. They did so for a better life for their own children ,that their own children might not be raised in a class system. And he loved Canada more than his homeland , the UK. He was my husband’s hero. He will live on in his two namesakes left here on earth ,his son and his grandson. 

E.A.S 

Oct 4 , 1932-1 July 2021

What my husband wrote about his father:

My father passed away yesterday, on Canada Day. I can’t think of a more fitting day. He loved this country, coming from his native England. He left what he believed was a class society and came to a country where you advance on your merits, not your class. 

He lived in London during World War 2. He showed me a street where he used to live. It was a block of row houses. Five houses down from where he lived there was a gap in the houses where there is now a road. Houses used to be there. A stick of German bombs destroyed the row houses there, killing the people inside. Later on in the war, the Germans launched V2 rockets and V1 cruise missiles at the London area. Imagine dealing with all that when you are 8 to 13 years old.

I want to thank everyone who has offered there thoughts and prayers. They mean very much to me and my family.

Have a wonderful day everyone! Live life to the fullest! I believe that’s how we best honour loved ones who have passed.

• Like 3
On 7/1/2021 at 8:00 PM, Seraphim said:

My father-in-law passed away today at 8:59 PM. Almost exactly 10 months after my father. 

It is kind of fitting that it is today. My in-laws came to Canada in 1960. They did so for a better life for their own children ,that their own children might not be raised in a class system. And he loved Canada more than his homeland , the UK. He was my husband’s hero. He will live on in his two namesakes left here on earth ,his son and his grandson. 

E.A.S 

Oct 4 , 1932-1 July 2021

I’m so sorry for your loss. Keeping you, your husband and your son in my prayers.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone . It is my FIL’s funeral this Wed. I just got back from visiting my mother, that was nice. I saw my sibling for literally 10 minutes because his eldest was being a ignorant…..

It was my middle niece’s 18th Birthday on the 2nd. 

On Canada Day July 1 my son had his first shot of Moderna, after MUCH controversy and a massive meltdown. 

9 hours ago, Seraphim said:

Thank you everyone . It is my FIL’s funeral this Wed. I just got back from visiting my mother, that was nice. I saw my sibling for literally 10 minutes because his eldest was being a ignorant…..

It was my middle niece’s 18th Birthday on the 2nd. 

On Canada Day July 1 my son had his first shot of Moderna, after MUCH controversy and a massive meltdown. 

So glad you got him to do the first one!!

My son is coming over for dinner this week, so I need to talk with him about it. Hope I make some headway!

8 hours ago, luminousone said:

So glad you got him to do the first one!!

My son is coming over for dinner this week, so I need to talk with him about it. Hope I make some headway!

I hope so. I hope you can get him to. My son had a massive meltdown in the facility and they fast tracked us to get us out before total chaos ensued.  

43 minutes ago, boltnrun said:

I read online that some parts of Western Canada are getting up to 125 degrees Fahrenheit!  Yikes!

It has been wicked. We had a real bad heat wave here about 41C with the humidex and then a few cool days and now another heat wave. Not as bad as the west but it is friggen ridiculous. The country is roasting . I know we complain all winter long but I can’t wait for Fall ,seriously .