Recruiter/HR got mad at me today

Qwerty55

This is extremely clear. It doesn't state ask the secretary, it doesn't state open mail addressed to individual people or departments. It states open mail addressed to the company and place it on the boss's desk.

we have a rule in our company that any letter that goes through our office addressing our company's name, it's my responsibility to open it and place it at my boss' table.

Personal and confidential mail should be addressed "Personal" or "Confidential." Was this a personal correspondence or was it just a resume? Also, is the receptionist suppose to separate out HR mail from other mail? Anything that's personal should not be sent to your work place. It's just business etiquette. I think people are just grumpy and are picking you you because you're young.

you were only following instructions.

the company obviously hasn't made it clear what the process is fo opening mail and how to identify confidential mail.

Explain that you ASKED and were instructed to open it thus you were only following instructions... and that "in the interset" of never repeating that mistake - that you would like them to come up with an agreed upon procedure of how to identify confidential mail and what the process is when one is identified. (int his case.. something as easy as, "if somebody is sending you confidential email, please ENSURE they marek it "ATTN: person's name" or "ATTN: DEPT name" or to always add ONLY to the and of the ATTN (ATTN: Jane Doe only or ATTN: HR ONLY).

If the company can adhere to and agree upon a common, consistent proces to identify confidential mail and the process on handling such mail - then mistkae shouldn't happen again.

They should also agree if it's truly that important to them.

This was NOT your fault. If HR didnt' instruct and provide this infromation CLEARLY to you before it happened, they have only themselves to blame.

I agree with JMan.... you seem to follow these rules without really understanding them. You might think it absolves you of responsibility if you make a mistake ("I was just following company policy") but it is your responsibility to understand the policies and to be able to use your own judgement to make the right decisions about things.

You need to put some effort into trying to understand these policies and where they came from so you can make better decisions about things.

Being honest, I'd probably lose respect for you for opening mail that's been personally addressed. That doesn't mean you're going to get canned or anything. I'd just accept the fact this particular person probably isn't going to be a water cooler pal any time soon. There's just a lot of "why?" in this scenario and a pretty fundamental lack of ability or willingness to employ some independent thought and basic ethics. Even operating under the premise that opening people's mail is just what you do, between the nature of it being personally addressed and it being sent to HR personnel, there's no reason to rely on the discretion of a receptionist you admit is a "newbie" like you. Logically, it would seem the purpose of opening letters addressed to the company is to not have your boss wasting his time filtering out irrelevant correspondences. That purpose is inherently fulfilled by the letter being addressed specifically to someone else.

Normally, I'd say it's a case of someone being nosey or a bit entitled, but I think this stems from an utter lack of confidence for your part. I have no idea what kind of worker you'd be if you started sitting up straight. You gotta be confident in your professional and interpersonal common sense, and knowing what to ask and who to ask when the need should arise.

It terrifies me that the HR might lose respect to me either because of the incident yesterday. My friends and family told me it's not really a huge mistake but it felt huge that i could hurt my professional relationship with the HR.

It's my first time working at an actual job so everything about committing mistakes and dealing with people terrifies with me but I try my best not to show it emotionally at work.

Personal and confidential mail should be addressed "Personal" or "Confidential." Was this a personal correspondence or was it just a resume? Also, is the receptionist suppose to separate out HR mail from other mail? Anything that's personal should not be sent to your work place. It's just business etiquette. I think people are just grumpy and are picking you you because you're young.

Personal mails are sent in my office at times. That's what the secretary told me.

Yes, I believe it's also the receptionist's responsibility to separate personal ones to the company's. That's why I thought it was okay to open because she gave it at our department.

May I know what made you said people at working picking on me because I'm young?

I have to admit, some employees don't talk nor take me seriously because I look younger than 23.

you were only following instructions.

the company obviously hasn't made it clear what the process is fo opening mail and how to identify confidential mail.

Explain that you ASKED and were instructed to open it thus you were only following instructions... and that "in the interset" of never repeating that mistake - that you would like them to come up with an agreed upon procedure of how to identify confidential mail and what the process is when one is identified. (int his case.. something as easy as, "if somebody is sending you confidential email, please ENSURE they marek it "ATTN: person's name" or "ATTN: DEPT name" or to always add ONLY to the and of the ATTN (ATTN: Jane Doe only or ATTN: HR ONLY).

If the company can adhere to and agree upon a common, consistent proces to identify confidential mail and the process on handling such mail - then mistkae shouldn't happen again.

They should also agree if it's truly that important to them.

This was NOT your fault. If HR didnt' instruct and provide this infromation CLEARLY to you before it happened, they have only themselves to blame.

I really don't know who's fault is it. Actually, it felt like it was all my fault because it felt like I was responsible for this.

Yes, it was addressed to the HR's name but what I don't understand is as to why my boss have this instruction any mails that has the company's address should be opened and go through him. Although I was probably not informed that there are actually personal mails coming inside the office

I agree with JMan.... you seem to follow these rules without really understanding them. You might think it absolves you of responsibility if you make a mistake ("I was just following company policy") but it is your responsibility to understand the policies and to be able to use your own judgement to make the right decisions about things.

You need to put some effort into trying to understand these policies and where they came from so you can make better decisions about things.

And maybe this is an area I need to improve: understanding the context without being told. That I have to analyze and understand it on my own.

It just scares me that I might ruin my professional relationship with the HR

Okay so we have a rule in our company that any letter that goes through our office addressing our company's name, it's my responsibility to open it and place it at my boss' table.

Your mistake was in not following the protocol and instructions you wrote about: that any mail that comes in addressing the company's name is to be opened by you.

The letter in question was addressed to a specific individual.

My guess is, if something is addressed to the company as a whole, it could likely be advertisements, general inquiries, etc., which is why your boss wants you to just go ahead and open it. Kind of like receiving promotional mail at home....not a big deal.

But something addressed to an individual, should be handed directly to that individual.

You tried to do the right thing by asking the secretary if you should open it.

This is really not such a big deal. Simply apologize to the HR person, and don't do it again.

I'm guessing this particular piece of mail did not have "Confidential" stamped on it, hence, you would have known. It did not (right?).

It's not relevant as to why your company has you doing this, or why your boss wants you to do this, etc. This is simply how they want you to handle the mail.

For future, just follow it like this: open all mail that is addressed to the company name, and hand-deliver any mail that is addressed to Person X @ Company Name, or Attn: Person X.

There are times yes I still make the same mistakes that are avoidable.

This is not acceptable.

You get to make a mistake once and after that it shows you aren’t learning from your mistakes. It would make me feel you’re incompetent, don’t care, don’t pay attention, or some combination of this.

I’m not saying this to be mean. You HAVE to identify your mistakes and find ways to stop making them. You have to be proactive. You have to stop making mistakes, or you will lose the job.

I really don't know who's fault is it. Actually, it felt like it was all my fault because it felt like I was responsible for this.

Yes, it was addressed to the HR's name but what I don't understand is as to why my boss have this instruction any mails that has the company's address should be opened and go through him. Although I was probably not informed that there are actually personal mails coming inside the office

Qwerty, moving forward from this, when you don't understand a particular task, it's good practice to ask for clarification. It does take some assertiveness, I get that, but if you don't, and just perform the task WITHOUT understanding it, you're not gonna make it, sorry.

One of the most important qualities to have working in any business environment is good communication.

Re this incident, you should have explained to the HR person that it was your understanding (per your boss's instruction) that all mail addressed to the company should be opened by you.

Now if the letter was only addressed to her, and not the company, then yes you were at fault and you were right to acknowledge the mistake and apologize. Tell her moving forward, you will be sure it never happens again.

BUT if it was addressed like this which many of the letters our office receives are:

[Person's Name]

[Name of Company]

[Address]

Then you were not at fault, you were following what you were instructed to do.

In short, always seek clarification before performing a task if the instruction isn't 100% clear to you, I do OFTEN. My bosses appreciate it! Rather than not fully understanding and doing it incorrectly -- that is WAY worse and will come back and bite you in the arse.

So my advice would be to work on your communication skills. Being more assertive. You sound quite fearful and passive and I can tell you, with that attitude, you will not get very far no matter what your job or role in the company is.

Hey Qwerty55,

I do believe that trying to understand the process as RedDress suggested on page 2 might help you. Having said that as LHGirl stated the company wants you to handle mail in a particular way irrespective of why. Period. I have found that questioning procedures (even if they don't make sense) is frowned upon in some companies. ('Do as you are told' type of leadership.)

I also agree with DanZee that personal and confidential mail should be clearly addressed as "personal" or "confidential." But unfortunately that doesn't always happen and so you need to work with that.

It's in your best interest to ask for clarification from your boss regarding the receiving and opening of mail. What type of mails are you meant to receive? Which mail are you supposed to open and which aren't you? Etc. Preferably get it in writing, e.g: email. That way: 1) You have clear guidelines that you can follow. 2) If the receptionist or anyone questions you, you can kindly direct them to those written guidelines. Any further issues on the matter, they can discuss it with your boss.

Lastly, katrina1980 provided some great pointers that I hope you will follow.

I hope it all works out for you!

It seems that you read/understand everything so literal and perhaps don't understand nuance?

Are you really as dense as mud or do you perhaps have Asperger's or a learning disability. I am not trying to say that to be funny or coarse in any way.

Of course every piece of mail has the company's name on it -- but not all mail is just general solicitation.

If that is what the boss states is part of your job description then just take it literally and do exactly that. Not more, not less, not something else. When you stop trying to reinterpret your job description life will get easier for you. Everyone has had entry level jobs at some point. Perhaps the rules seem silly but if you want a paycheck you follow them until you get a better job.

I don't understand is as to why my boss have this instruction any mails that has the company's address should be opened and go through him.

Qwerty, when I started working in business (legal), I took a class in "general office procedures" at community college.

What I learned:

1. Stay focused

2. When given a verbal instruction, write it down and if there is any confusion, ask for clarification at the the time. When given an instruction via email, same if the instruction is not clear.

In your situation with the mail, you really should have clarified -- do I open mail ONLY addressed to the company but with no name? Or both company and name except when it says "personal and confidential"?

3. Learn to be detail-oriented. All my employees have said it's one if my strongest assets, that and being a team player.

4. Communication skills

And finally,

5. Good ole common sense!

I echo what another said about your being so anxious and unsure of yourself, you can't keep the proper focus on your work, hence all the mistakes you're making.

And again, if you could let us know what types of mistakes you're making, we may be better able to advise you how to avoid in the future.

And maybe this is an area I need to improve: understanding the context without being told. That I have to analyze and understand it on my own.

No, you're not required to be a mind reader, but relying on the advice of someone who is new doesn't make any sense.

You aren't clear about which mail to open. That's not a crime, but you're not going to correct the problem with guesswork.

When mail comes in addressed to the company with no name in the address or the 'attention' line, then your boss wants to see it because he or she understands who would be the best recipient for it.

However, when mail comes in with someone's name on it, it's most likely theirs to open--so put it in their pile.

Since you are unclear about this, explain what happened to your boss and ask for further clarification.

The one thing you ARE clear about (I hope) is that anything that comes in with the mad lady's name on it should not be opened.

Head high, this is not a tragedy, but you need to take the initiative to learn the CORRECT context from someone who knows--NOT the new girl.

Archived