Open Club  ·  91 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

What's annoying you today? Part 2

WithLove

• 2 weeks later...
The car systems with the stupid bass. My son said it sounds like farts. And that's exactly what it sounds like, why do you want your music to sound like farts?

That's a clever way to put it. They do sound like farts. Subwoofers - that's the word for the systems. I've seen a couple of people open their trunk and instead of having room in there, they clearly have a HUGE custom built subwoofer so they can waste their money and annoy everyone in a 100 ft radius at the same time.

People, mostly school kids on their bikes riding around just looking at their smartphones! So annoying and so dangerous, they only have eyes for their phones.

Is social media so important that it can't wait 5 minutes till you're home safe? Does it have to cost you your life?

Stupid kids!

People, mostly school kids on their bikes riding around just looking at their smartphones! So annoying and so dangerous, they only have eyes for their phones.

Is social media so important that it can't wait 5 minutes till you're home safe? Does it have to cost you your life?

Stupid kids!

Oh, I've noticed this too. Not just kids, either.

The amount of people who casually walk or ride across a main road not really paying attention to traffic is really concerning when driving.

Stupid kids!

I was surprised by this recently, too. A young man riding along at a good clip on our town's busiest road of strip development (loads of 4 lane traffic), no hands, one hand holding his smartphone, the other shielding it so he could read it.

Reminds me of the olden days when we'd read books or write letters as we rode our bicycles to school. (Not!)

Lol so true about people and their phones.

I must be getting old because it's been annoying me lately when people go 'huh?' Or 'what?' Or just let out a grunt when addressed and they didn't hear or weren't listening to what is going on around them. Today I said 'pardon?' to someone who grunted at me after not listening, and she said 'what does that mean?'. I explained it meant 'pardon me, Could you please repeat what you said?' And she said 'oh. Well I said 'huh?!'

It made me laugh but really?! You repeat the grunt ??!

Bought an Audiobook and it's one massive audio file.

I thought it was going to be split up into chapters..or something. Not one big 11.5 hrs MP3 file.

If there's no DRM you might be able to use a program like Audacity to split it up into more manageable files.

It's a free open-source application, so hopefully this isn't seen as an AD of any kind.

If you want it to break on the chapter breaks you're going to have to find where there are in the monolithic file first though. (though there's usually a pause, in the speech between chapters, so you might be able to see it as a flat-line on the audio waveform and find them quickly)

If there's no DRM you might be able to use a program like Audacity to split it up into more manageable files.

It's a free open-source application, so hopefully this isn't seen as an AD of any kind.

If you want it to break on the chapter breaks you're going to have to find where there are in the monolithic file first though. (though there's usually a pause, in the speech between chapters, so you might be able to see it as a flat-line on the audio waveform and find them quickly)

Thanks, TMifune! I'll check it out.

That I'm still furious with the universe over my mother's Alzheimer's. Just when I think I've finally come to an acceptance of it I'm angry all over again. I mean, what the blip kind of a universe saves you from a lightning strike but then lets you die an inch at a time while every memory of who you are fades away?

That I'm still furious with the universe over my mother's Alzheimer's. Just when I think I've finally come to an acceptance of it I'm angry all over again. I mean, what the blip kind of a universe saves you from a lightning strike but then lets you die an inch at a time while every memory of who you are fades away?

Really sorry to hear that. It's a terrible disease.

I really don't like when people imply that freaking genetics or shakes or something are what's making me fit.

Gentics? NOPE. I was going to be terribly out of shape if I didn't change things. No one in my family has any athletic background or any naturally aesthetic fitness. The reality is my "genetics" have nothing to do with the word. My "genetics" are watching my f-ing diet every single day of my life--reading labels on food. Looking up nutrition info online.

My other "genetics" is five hours a week in the gym. I play basketball and sweat through every article of clothing I'm wearing. I dive on the floor. I get my arms and wrists grabbed. I get shoulders in my chest, accidental elows to the head. I sprint the whole way on every fast break because I want to be first.

And weights? I have always and probably will always hate every single weight I've ever lifted. It's difficult. I'm tall and have what I can imagine are the joints of an average fifty year old man. I look forward to lifting weights every day until the very first rep,' and right then, I want it to be over. And I don't feel good until I'm done. But I still do it.

Shakes/supplements? I only take whey protein, creatine, and BCAAs. None of this stuff is steroids. If I took exogenous testosterone, I'd be a hell of a lot bigger and stronger than I am now, I can tell you that much. Because I would take it until I got to about 225 pounds. But it's illegal, laughably expensive, and has bad side effects.

There is no magical fairy dust that helps me. No blessed f-ing Adonis genes or whatever. No pill or powder.

Making excuses WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR SITUATION. If there were any way around this, I would have found it by now and told everyone I knew.

Ugh, I know what you mean Super.

It's so dismissive of the hard work and choices that go into being fit.

It's fine if someone says hey, I'm enjoying eating cinnamon buns when I want and only working out when I feel like it, it's worth it to me right now to have the trade off. But it's a pet peeve of mine when people run down others who do make the sacrifices because they don't want to do it themselves. 'Must be nice to have good genes' is lame and dismissive.

So kudos to your hard work - I know you work your butt off.

On the upside, it's sort of a compliment, you must be looking good !!