I've waited long enough...

Fudgie

After stalling for over 2 years, I'm finally coming around and getting my weight loss surgery. Making preparations now. Should be done sometime this year.

I've finally realized that I really can't do this all by myself, not with my hormonal disease and insulin resistance. I already eat a high protein diet but it's just not working. I make most of my meals from home, nice and healthy with lots of spices but my weight has only gotten worse. I've done physical training for years, followed a couple meal diets (like Jenny Craig, which I actually found DELICIOUS and easy to follow!), and little to no results.

My insulin resistance, despite taking medication, makes me abnormally hungry too which is difficult to deal with.

I know the doctor who will be doing it and my parents know him too. Very good track record, thousands and thousands of successful surgeries. Insurance will pay for ALL of it. I'll spend only a couple days in the hospital, then 1.5-2 weeks at home and then on with my life!

My boyfriend and parents are supporting me 100%. I think when I met my boyfriend years ago, I was 80 lb lighter, maybe more. I am not kidding. So he remembers what I used to look like. He says he loves me no matter what.

I am not sure why I stalled, to be honest. I guess just fear. Fear of having a bad quality of life, having pain, etc. Maybe just being scared of NOT being overweight. I've been overweight since I was 15. That's a long time.

I also feared getting thinner and having to deal with being considered actually "pretty" and what it would mean for dating and whatnot. I worried I would somehow end up with a man who would have treated me poorly or wouldn't have even cared about me at all when I was larger. That deeply bothered me. I don't seem to have that fear anymore. N started dating me long after I was considered medically obese.

yes, OBESE. I am OBESE.

I don't want to be one of the patients that I frequently work with in the hospital who wait to have this surgery and they are in their early 30s and are 300-400 lb...sometimes more! I am not 300 lb but I feel that my body is heading that way. My health is worsening. I am on track to get diabetes before I am 30. I am also at risk for certain cancers. I NEED HELP.

I'm in my early 20s...I still have time to get healthy, be a healthy, lean weight, and reverse this trend so I won't get sick. Grad school is in my future too. LET'S DO THIS THING.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience with this sort of surgery?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What type of surgery are you getting? Liposuction, gastric band etc? I do not have experience with this type of surgery but i have had surgery where i needed people to help me get around the house, get food for me etc and it really helps to have a support system there.

I would only suggest that you really look into the risks and that you are absolutely sure it is the right thing for you as this will be a lifetime committment. What i am about to say isnt to try scare you but someone i know had a friend who had this surgery after their doctor suggested it, they ended up having the operation but they died. Please just make sure you are absolutely sure this is the right thing for you.

The people I know who have had the lap band all had success- all in their 30s - none of them is thin (the surgery was in the last few years) but they are no longer obese. I don't know why that is (i.e. not thin) but I suspect it has to do with individual lifestyle choices after the surgery. One person met his future wife within a year of the surgery -I think losing weight and getting the surgery really improved his self-image and self-esteem. I wish you all the best of luck.

Gastric sleeve. Stomach will be made MUCH smaller. Think of a banana shape.

The surgery also (UNLIKE gastric bypass) decreases the hormone that makes you feel hungry because it actually takes out so much of your stomach.

Unlike the lap band, it's permanent. Due to some factors, the lap band isn't a good choice for me. There is moderate success with it but not as much as other surgeries. Moderate risk of slippage. I need something permanent and life-long due to my health conditions and metabolism.

The typical "gastric bypass" was what I originally considered, but they remove the top part of your small intestine. That means MUCH less absorption, more dangerous/complications, and random, intense pooping for the rest of my life if I eat something "wrong". The less absorption SCARES me. I am genetically at risk for several things and I NEED adequate vitamins.

That scared me and I backed away from doing it and sort of farted around for a couple years but after learning about this surgery and doing research and having my parents talk to the doctor, I'm finally coming around.

Gastric sleeve has less complications, recovery time is shorter, etc. But it's permanent.

I definitely know that there is a chance of me having serious complications and/or dying on the table. The chance itself is small but it's still there. I need to modify my living will to make it current as I do have some assets right now.

But the way I see it, I'm already on a fast track toward poor life quality and/or an early death. People with my condition USUALLY get diabetes, and I have a family history. It is just a matter of time for me. Since I can't lose it myself, then I need more help.

I've actually already talked to the doctor myself and he has told me "Whenever you're ready...then we'll do it."

I already meet all insurance qualifications and they will foot the bill totally.

I need to book another official consult and prepare for a while, mentally, I think. That's what I need to do right now.

It is a little frustrating because I've been meeting some opposition from people who don't really know what is going on with me medically, who say that "It's the easy way out" or think, somehow, that if I just went to a gym "boot camp", I could work off the extra weight. Yeah, been there, done that for years. I got some good muscle but that was about it. Nothing really helped.

For me, losing weight means the following things:

-being healthy

-not getting diabetes

-getting a better energy level

-wearing clothes again that I haven't worn in years

-looking good in grad school interviews

-being able to get good health insurance in the future (NO PREXISTING CONDITIONS)

That's all I want.

. I already eat a high protein diet but it's just not working. I make most of my meals from home, nice and healthy with lots of spices but my weight has only gotten worse. I've done physical training for years

A couple suggestions:

Have you tried a high fat diet? Does your doctor have an opinion on that?

Also what types of training have you experimented with? There is no better way to increase muscular insulin sensitivity than resistance training to absolute failure. (And then drop-setting down and going to failure repeatedly if you're into pain)

A couple suggestions:

Have you tried a high fat diet? Does your doctor have an opinion on that?

Also what types of training have you experimented with? There is no better way to increase muscular insulin sensitivity than resistance training to absolute failure. (And then drop-setting down and going to failure repeatedly if you're into pain)

1.) He says it's a terrible idea. People in my family have high cholesterol already.

2.) Cardio, resistance training, etc. I did a 3x a week bootcamp for years too. That was resistance training combined with cardio at the end. I got insulin resistance during training so a lot of help that did for insulin resistance.

I actually got my insulin resistance when I was at a semi-normal weight. Go figure.

I know. I remember, I was starting to feel ill (nauseous) a LOT and gain more weight so I went to the doctor and he was like "Oh, you have insulin resistance. And a hormone condition."

I just can't win.

I go through bouts of nausea a couple times a day from it. That's why I try not to eat many carbs - makes them worse. THe meds help but doesn't make it go away. I'm just tired of it. It's going to kill me if I don't change something.

If you want to do it, and your doctor agrees, go for it.

We've talked before.. I have a similar problem with losing weight. I know what it's like to go through diet after diet, working out, and still not get anything because your body just isn't processing food and fat the way most peoples do.

Good luck hon, message me if you need to talk, but honestly, if you know this is what you want... then go for it. I'll support you, it's your body, and good luck

I knew a lady that had some sort of surgery done. I don't know which one she had. The first year was VERY difficult for her due to complications and infection at the surgical site. She had an incredibly difficult time physically adjusting to the new diet. Once that mess was sorted, she did lose an incredible amount of weight over about a three year period and had two skin removal operations. She has kept the weight off, no more diabeties or high blood pressure. Her knees and back stopped hurting and she was much, much healthier. She was somewhere in her 50's when she had it done and it was honestly the best decision she'd ever made.

I know another young lady right now that was considering a lap band type surgery. She is only 24, prediabetic, hormonal problems, thyroid problems and 380 pounds. She's always been heavy (180 at 14 years old). Her diet was her biggest problem. Drank nothing but soda, ate tons of junk food, no exercise and a very sedentary lifestyle. She cut out the junk and soda and began some light cardio for 30 mins 4x a week, didn't lose an ounce. She found some app for her phone that gives her calories for everything and began using it. Type in Burger King or grilled chicken and you get your calories. She was shocked by how many calories she was actually consuming per day. Using that app and portion control for a couple of months and sticking to her calorie limit with no other changes to diet and quitting the exercise, she's lost 35 pounds so far. She'd also tried weightwatchers, Jenny Craig, etc with no results.

If you do have the surgery, I wish you mad luck with it but at your age, I would do it as a last resort. Something permanent like that you have to live with the rest of your life.

Is your doctor having you take the 6 month class prior to the surgery? My best friend had the gastric done through Kaiser insurance and she had to take a mandatory 6 month class to prepare herself for her new life.

No. I don't have to do that. There is some group seminar/group talk that explains the science (which I already know, I do have a science degree) and such, but the doctor said I didn't have to do it so not gonna do it.

I was already approved by a psychologist and a nutritionist, so that's about that for me. I'm going to take some time to think but otherwise, I am set. I will opt for extra therapy with my own therapist for time afterward along with a nutrition consult afterwards before I go into solid foods again, but that's it. No group therapy.

It helps knowing people in the medical world, that's all ill say. I'm confident I will get excellent care. My parents, particularly my dad, will be watching over me like a hawk.

iamkaylee

Yeah it's definitely a last resort for me, right now. Why wait until I am in my 30s and much bigger? Your young friend sounds like me in that we have similar health issues. I don't have as bad eating habits I think I know the smartphone app you're talking about. I used it to lower my intake to about 1700 for 4 months with exercise and saw very little results. Yay for bad metabolism.

I think in my mind, I see the choice as pretty dire: 1) don't have a dramatic intervention and get diabetes/cancer or 2) go through a permanent surgery that will modify my eating habits forever but will help me to get and stay healthy. My health conditions won't go away, so it makes sense to have a surgery that will affect me forever as well. I don't have anything to lose.

I'm seeing what "problem foods" will come up with this surgery as well as other permanent life changes. Looks like no soda ever again. I don't drink soda at all anymore.. Too bubbly. Ginger ale for upset tummy sometimes but I like that flat.

Good luck Fudgie.

This is a huge decision, sounds like you've done all the research and have a great support system.

I work with a guy that had weight lost surgery (I'm not sure which one, but not lap band). His was a few years ago and he looks (and feels) very healthy. He eats carefully and is faithful with his exercise, and is definitely someone I would say is on the 'thin' (but not too thin) side.

The surgery changed his life. He too had tried everything but had several genetic issues working against him - not only diet!

Best wishes and we are all here for you on your journey.

Thanks for all your support guys. I really appreciate it. I like hearing stories about people going through this surgery or something similar, good or bad.

My goal weight is around 155-160. I know that's not really skinny but the doctor seems to think that it's what is healthy for me so I'm striving towards that. I've been over 200 for a long while now.

I don't want to say my real weight here (yes I'm sensitive lol) but let's just say I have at least 100lb to lose.

I'll update this thread as I learn more and prepare myself.

Fudgie I dearly hope it works well for you

These operations are truly a godsend for so many people that struggle with obesity. A healthy diet and exercise alone can't and don't always solve the problem. You've tried it all and nothing helps and I completely agree with you, do it now and don't wait any longer. You've done your research and I think you've made a fantastic decision for yourself.

The older lady I knew that had it done fought weight problems ever since she had her first child and nothing worked for her except the surgery. So ..... 30 years or so? Her weight was killing her.

I suspect the other girl I know will be reconsidering surgery again in a couple of years because I doubt what she's doing now will help much long term. She has awful knock knees and back problems already from the excessive weight too.

Weight is such a strain on the body. I hope your friend gets help one way or another.

-I have horrible stretchmarks everywhere. Everywhere. They don't really go away . Just stay red. It's from weight gain.

-I used to enjoy physical activity. I was literally climbing mtns when I was around 14. I used to run. I used to mountain bike for 10 miles at a time. God, I was so active. As I've gotten heavier over the years, and I've had to give those activities up. One by on. Eight now I can no longer run because it kills my joints. I miss running.

-I CANT SKI ANYMORE. A fall at my weight would really hurt me. I love skiing!

-I'm a slow walker. I used to walk briskly. Now I am just slow.

-no flexibility

-while I can have sex in many positions, my weight limits me from many others that I would like to try.

-while I can still buy clothes in normal stores, I am very limited

-some booths in restaurants kill me. This is a recent discovery and it horrified me.

I was thinking long and hard during work last night.

I think what I am MOST afraid is isn't the changes to my life because I feel confident I could do it... I can stand eating liquids and pureed crap for a long while as long as it isn't permanent... But I am scared of pain the most.

When I think about the surgery and my feelings, that's the recurring fear. I've always been scared about being in physical pain. Deep, lasting pain. I worry about waking up and vomiting and then feeling a terrible feeling at the surgery site. What if it won't get better soon enough? What if I can't sleep because of it? What does it feel like when they yank the drain tunes out of your abdomen? *shudder*

I know that is easily treated but vicodin always makes me barf and I don't know about other drugs.

But I do remind myself... Diabetes hurts too.

Fudgie, to give you a little peace of mind about the drain tubes... We pull chest tubes in our office as well as other things like permacath removals, etc. 95% of our patients have little to no pain with the chest tube removal because the tube itself is uncomfortable/painful [sometimes not all of the time] when in place, so it's a relief to have it removed. You just breath out when they pull them and it's so quick...it's the anticipation/fear of the unknown..that's what's worse.

I'm not sure how long your drains will be in place after your surgery. My son's grandmother just had a tummy tuck this year and hers were in for about 3 weeks.

Archived