Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Is it a bad manner to wish Muslim people Merry Christmas?

PrettyGood

I've sent tons of Merry Christmas postcards to my international friends on Facebook. However, those who were Muslims and who believe in Islam, they just replied with a short laughing icon "Well, thank you, but you know, we don't celebrate christmas, hahah, however it's very nice of you"

Was is a bad manner to wish them Merry Christmas? I mean, I never thought that they will react this way

No, the standard for this time of year for those who are not Christians is just a 'Happy Holidays' wish or card.

Many people forget that Christmas is a religious holiday, and it is polite to respect someone's religious beliefs. So a 'Happy Holidays' or a 'Happy New Year' card is a safe way to acknowledge the time of year without bringing religion into it.

I don't think they seemed offended.

I honestly don't understand people who get upset when someone wishes them well on a holiday they don't celebrate. I am not religious and take no issue with people wishing me Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, whatever.

Just do your thing. If someone gets offended, that's their issue.

Some of my Muslim friends and neighbours celebrate Christmas to an extent. My next-door neighbours put up Christmas lights and we exchange gifts. One Muslim with whom I worked said his kids would never let them get away without putting up a tree and getting gifts.

Remember that Muslims revere Jesus too although they they view him differently: link removed

• 2 weeks later...
uhh was it like a mass message like one big chain message or did you send an individual message to each friend...if it was me and i knew they were muslim i would of personally sent them a happy holidays message...

It was personal message, not a mass email I just didn't thought about Muslims and "Happy Holidays" phrase, so I sent "Merry Christmas"

It's interesting and can be a mine field sometimes with all the various peoples and religions to consider, non religions to consider, etc. !

At my work place alone, we hit pretty much every big button. But for me, it's Christmas. I accidentally wished my boss and co-workers a Merry One two years in a row now. Last year I got corrected, this year, they simply said thank you. And maybe it's because I go out of my way to also acknowledge their special holidays? I don't know. Some people are more forgiving on the matter than others.

But everyone seems to enjoy holiday treats. So long as it isn't a fasting time when you bring them! lol.

I really dislike "happy holidays" or feeling like we all gotta watch our P+Qs constantly. Makes it all so bland and boring that way, IMO.

Maybe send them a little special email at the next holiday you know they do celebrate? Could be a nice gesture.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nope.

I have a lot of Muslim friends, and work with a lot of Muslims also.

None of them take offense at all to people wishing them a Merry Christmas. In fact, the wish it back.

I get Christmas cards too from them every year, even though they don't particularly celebrate it.

They love the atmosphere that time of year too and my work colleagues put Christmas trees up in the office.

They like to festivities of it. some of them even exchange gifts and have a big meal on Christmas day too.

Your friends probably just found it funny and let you know, but still thanked you too.

Limiya

• 1 month later...

It would be a nice gesture to keep your ears and eyes open for their holidays and send them greetings for those when they roll around. I used to work in a company with a lot of "diversity" and I thought it was kind of fun to share the different celebrations of the different religions, and wish each other things like Happy Ramedan (sp?), Chinese New Year, Persian New Year, and of course, Hanukah and Passover. When you're nice, they bring in really good holiday food!

• 2 weeks later...

Muslims do not have a concept of celebrating christmas. It is purely a christian concept. Just like Muslims do not send Happy Eid day to their christian brothers (who will also get surprise if they get an Eid Card), they do not expect "Marry Christmas" messages from their christian brothers.

Christmas is a pagan holiday celebrated by the Germanic tribes for centuries before the romans ever showed up...

The central figure should be noted...do we go to the mall to see the three wise men, or do we go to see father Christmas?

Christmas itself is an idea that goes beyond the roman's claim, an idea that all people can [and do] celebrate even if they don't call it "Christmas."

If they celebrate another holiday, they may reply, "Happy Hanukah," or "Happy Quanza," or "Happy Holidays," or whatever phrase they may find suitable including, "Merry Christmas."

It is not our place to decide what gifts others give us, and this includes the gift of well wishes...it's the thought that counts, anyways, no?

• 2 months later...

I think it is nice when people show that they recognize the holidays that people of different backgrounds celebrate. It shows that you are not only aware that different cultures and religions exist but that you have made yourself knowledgeable of what events are or are not celebrated by each one. At the same time, I don't think I would be offended at all if someone wished me Happy Eid or Happy Hanukkah. The message was well-intended and should be taken as such. Anyone who is offended when they receive such messages about a holiday that they don't celebrate or recognize simply has a chip on their shoulder. But being cognizant of the events of other cultures, customs and religions shows that you have made some sort of effort in promoting cultural awareness and I see it as sort of "above and beyond" and would be particularly appreciated.

my one friend is muslim and celebrates xmas harder than the most strict christian I have ever seen.

He wears tacky sweaters, gives gifts. It depends on the person.

He thinks it's great. As has been said (I think) Muslim respect Jesus, they just don't think he is the savior.

I went to my friends house for xmas and it was a little odd. We exchanged gifts then right to the prayer rug. I think eveyone can enjoy it.

Archived