Getting back together really does happen!

my good friend broke up with her boyfriend a few years ago, and he went totally nuts - freaking out, drama, begging, the whole deal. then he went strict NC for like 2 years straight...until they ran into each other at a bar. they have been happily back together ever since.

Okay so I have a couple of new stories I have recently come accross.

One of my friends had broken it off with her 3 yr boyfriend, I don't know the reason, but from her complaints it was that he was too much of a mamas boy...Anyways she went on to dating some other guy and she seemed to really like him. I'm not sure who did the breaking up but I know she was going through a tough time at some point (doesn't like to divulge info...). Anyways she got back together with her 3 yr ex boyfriend and they are now having a baby They seem happy.

My other friend got a case of the gigs...She dumped her 3 yr ex-boyfriend (high school sweetheart) because she felt she didnt love him anymore. After they broke up, she decided to sleep with him, but was chasing after another guy...This other guy didn't like her like that and she got hurt. After that she ends up meeting another guy and it seemed like she really liked him, but he lacked things her 3 yr ex boyfriend had...After a series of drama, she realized that she missed her 3 yr ex boyfriend and really does love him, so she went back to him. It took her about 6 months to get back to her ex boyfriend and now she seems to be on cloud 9.

Nice story for you all...

Two good friends of mine were together for 7 years, he proposed and everything seemed to be going well however 2 months later he called the engagement off and ended the relationship. She was heartbroken, his reasons were he felt like he hadnt lived etc and they both went and did their own thing, dating people etc. She never thought there was a chance they would get back together, 9 months later they get in contact again and start to see each other regularly. There now officially back together.

I reckon the reconcilliation process took perhaps over a month.

All those cheesey quotes really are true, if its meant to be it will be etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I was with a guy for about 2 1/2 years. When I was 18 he left me. He was my first love and I was heartbroken. I did the begging and pleading and didn't talk to him for 2-3 weeks. Then I reached out, we started talking and got back together. About 3 months later he left me again. I went NC AGAIN, this time for 2 1/2 months. He had something of mine that I needed so I again reached out, we made plans for me to go and see him (by this time he had moved to another state). When we were talking on the phone he was talking about how he still loved me, how he wanted to be with me again. We met up, I got possessive and needy and was trying to move things along way too fast. He told me not to have any expectations about us as he was leaving for the military (even though on the phone a week earlier he was telling me he loved me and wanted to be with me). We spent time together, were intimate, and he left for the military and told me he never wanted to see me again.

My point is, NC DOES work. It does not work if:

1. Your ex is a jerk.

2. If you don't change yourself for the better.

I pined and waited for this boy for so long, I did not realize MY self worth. I didn't realize that I deserved better. I should have demanded respect from him. I should have worked on getting my own life instead of waiting around for him. Getting him back was the easy part. The hard part was fixing my self esteem and what went wrong in the relationship. You have to remember to take this NC time for YOU. Be the you that you love, that your ex loves, and getting them back will be easy.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Sorry for bumping old thread. I just wanted to ask few questions about this. TIME and patience will get rid of the pain and hurt yes. But what brings them together? What's the magic that brings them together? Love? Good Memories?

Fate.....quite simply

Ofcourse love, and memories of a good relationship makes you realise, but its truly fate that will bring you back together. It may be that some people, both parties feel this way, but its just not happened, as its not yet their fate, or may never be.

I believe in fate so much.

A chap asked me at work the other day where Riverside close was - Id never heard of the place so i couldnt help him. During my shift as i drove around I saw Riverside close in 4 different towns that day - Id never seen any of these places before. Some things in this world we just cannot explain, fate is one of them.

Here are my personal stories:

1. More than a year ago, I had a fling with a guy for a week. During the duration of that week we already professed love for each other. However, the turn of events resulted in us being bitterly separated for a long time. All lines of communication were cut off by me, since the loss devastated me. Took me a while to get over it, and I believed then that I would never see him again.

Flash forward more than a year later, he came back in campus for good. I found out he felt the same about the separation, and the whole time he was visiting campus he was looking for me. He told me that he thought he'll never see me again, and that he will not allow himself to let me get away again. We're in a relationship now.

2. The whole time my boyfriend and I were separated, I had another relationship with my ex. I was on the rebound, but I came to love him after some time. 10 months later, he cheated on me. I broke up with him.

Three months later he came knocking on my door, asking for forgiveness. He told me that I was the best thing he ever had, and that he was stupid to let me go. He said that memories of me haunted him while he was with the other woman. I didn't take him back. I was already in a relationship with my boyfriend. Besides, I hate cheaters.

with my previous ex we broke up and I did NC for about a month. He called me and asked to meet up. Anyways, we went out to a restaurant and I was telling him a stupid story and laughing, he grabbed me and kissed me. It was definitely passionate!! He told me he missed me and wanted to get back with me =) We had a good few years together after that.

It's weird that going NC with the EX EX wasn't that difficult, for some reason its bloody difficult with the recent ex!! I'm in NC now... I hope something similar happens.

This has to be my favourite thread on ENA lol x

Broke up after six months together, I did the usual pleading, letters etc and then occasionally bugged her with texts, this lasted about four months. By the sixth month of being apart I'd decided it was hopeless and that if I wanted her in my life I'd just have to accept her as a friend. The very next day after becoming reconciled with this idea I bumped into her, was unintentionally nonchalant [due to having decided it was hopeless I guess] and that very night she called me at 2am and came over to make up.

Living proof that just when you really let go, they sense it and come back.

We were then together for another 18 months but have recently broken up again.

And so now I'm here, devouring more varied, conflicting, hopeful, hopeless information than my overactive brain can handle.

Broke up after six months together, I did the usual pleading, letters etc and then occasionally bugged her with texts, this lasted about four months. By the sixth month of being apart I'd decided it was hopeless and that if I wanted her in my life I'd just have to accept her as a friend. The very next day after becoming reconciled with this idea I bumped into her, was unintentionally nonchalant [due to having decided it was hopeless I guess] and that very night she called me at 2am and came over to make up.

Living proof that just when you really let go, they sense it and come back.

We were then together for another 18 months but have recently broken up again.

And so now I'm here, devouring more varied, conflicting, hopeful, hopeless information than my overactive brain can handle.

Congrats.

Did either of you have serious relationships while apart?

There is definitely a pattern that most success stories follow. It seems like an average of 6 months is the bare minimum for a successful reconciliation. Anything sooner is not enough time most likely, however of course there are rare exceptions. It seems like the average range is 6 months to 1 year. It seems to be the dumper coming back in the vast majority of stories or simply running into each other where nobody really initiates it but you hit it off again. In most success stories, contact was completely cut off or limited. This really drives the point home of the importance of NC!

This is the idea i'm getting from whilst reading these "getting back together" stories. Perfect sum up!

People should definitely start writing how they "re encountered" their exs after months of NC.

I dumped a boyfriend once after I thought I had lost all feelings for him. HE was desperate to get me back and even had to do IC. After about 6 months I started missing him and we got back together. We mutually split about a year later though, he was just too old for me!

Thanks for all the stories here. I posted my story on this site for some insight in regards to my BF of almost 8 years moving out and well... I also got more "he's gone" stuff. Thought I would get both sides.. lol. I am so glad I found this post and can get through another day with optimism vs telling myself he's gone forever. Best of luck to all that wan't their ex's back. Congrats to all that have, and for all those that didn't want them back after the fact.

P.S. I will post my successes story if and when it happens..

These stories are really helping me out a lot, thanks!

Any success stories after really hurtful and final sounding things were said on the dumpers part(we will never get back together, I don't care about you anymore)?

Yes...

I can attest that NC works! We used to fight like cats and dogs, she would get pissed off and throw phones, break pictures, destroy computers....In the end it was VERY VERY ugly and some very mean and hurtful words were exchanged...

2 - 2.5 months later we worked it out and the relationship was amazing...however, we are now in NC again after being back together for several good months together...this time I neglected her and Im hoping NC will work for us again..

NC WORKS!

The boyfriend I had my last year of college and after left me and moved to another state when he decided our relationship wasn't enough to keep him in the city we were in at the time. We kept in touch with phone calls from time to time, and within a year he realized that the grass really wasn't actually greener there and started sending me thoughtful little gifts, love letters, and eventually moved back to town. We drifted apart (mutually) a year later, but remained friends.

I'm back in the hoping-for-reconciliation boat with someone else now. Even if things can't work out between us, the way he left me was so abrupt it's left me still reeling two months later. It's been NC the whole time.