Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

Gold Member

Is this normal?

Is it normal when I see or hear someone starting to get emotional, their pitch in their voice goes higher and higher, pace of words gets faster and faster, the voice gets screechyer and scheechyer, whinier and whinier. I get this churn in my stomach, my blood pressure will rise and starts to get annoyed. Is this normal?

It's not normal to the degree you describe. When people get excited or angry etc their voice can change the more worked up they get but your reaction to it sounds excessive. What is going on that makes you feel like that?

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    My reaction to someone becoming distressed is to comfort them .

Platinum Member
    If it is someone I know, I would try to calm them down.

Platinum Member
    WTM, why didn't you respond to us in your last thread? After the last two, you disappeared..

I believe you have been in the same situation for over 5 years. You have always been very contemptuous of your wife. Why don't you end this?
    Last edited by Hollyj; 08-16-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Silver Member
    You have repeatedly been told in these forums that you are controlling and intolerant and that therapy would help you. Instead of doing that, you continue in unhealthy patterns and then how up here and act like your wife is beneath you and the world is trying to drive you crazy. This relationship has clearly run its course, but you could still use some help.

Best to detach immediately if someone is this agitated. Deescalate and end the conversation asap. Interact with your wife when cooler heads prevail.
    Originally Posted by wtm78
    Is it normal when I see or hear someone starting to get emotional, their pitch in their voice goes higher and higher, pace of words gets faster and faster, the voice gets screechyer and scheechyer, whinier and whinier. I get this churn in my stomach, my blood pressure will rise and starts to get annoyed. Is this normal?

I'm just distracted by the word screechyer. But not just that. It gets screechyer and screechyer too. I can't help but wonder why someone would be so annoyed with you. Try understanding what brought about the misunderstanding so that it doesn't happen again or very often. The goal should be more understanding between the both of you especially if you're a couple.

Is this normal?

Originally Posted by wtm78
    Not for me.. I feel empathy when people are in distress.

Which leads me to you OP... why are you still in a relationship that is causing you such distress and/or have you dealt with your own anxiety and frustration by seeking help?

For some people, yes, it's normal. I've known a few people in my life who suddenly changed their tone and pitch plus grow louder the more upset and angrier they are. They not only get annoyed, they become extremely irritable as they engage in gaslighting, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice