Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Early dating and sexual health

Platinum Member
    Please do NOT get tested for HSV 2.
    There is good reason why the CDC do not recommend this test on blood.

If symptomatic yes swabs of lesions are sent for PCR testing which is highly specific.

Blood tests are not highly specific and the rate of false positives is high.
    There are hundreds of herpes viruses and some of these can cross react in the serology test giving a false positive.
    For example if you had glandular fever as a child , you would test ďpositiveĒ despite actually being negative.

This girl does not need to know your ex had HSV 2. You have told her enough.
    As I said she could have HSV 2 and not know it. What if she tested positive and it was a true positive confirmed by PCR of lesions but itís ok because she didnít know her ex had it?

You have done the standard screen that is recommended by CDC. Thatís all you need to do.

As I said before, why did she get tested?
    And why have sex with someone she barely knows if she is that paranoid?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by LHGirl
    The only type of test is a blood test, not a swab, etc.

You might have to go to a private lab to get this done, not your regular doctor's office.

The blood test does not produce "false positives". What it produces is either a presence of HSV-2 antibodies, or not. Period.

It's an IgG test, and it distinguishes between HSV-1 and HSV-2 antibodies.

You can be positive for HSV-2 antibodies and never present symptoms for your entire life. This is why it seems like there are "false positives". But you are still infected with it, and it can still be passed on.

This is how vaccines work: The virus is injected into us, and the body creates antibodies, surrounding it, keeping it from erupting into the disease itself.

So they CAN check for HSV-2 antibodies. They are either there, or they are not.
    Sorry but this is incorrect.

PCR on lesions is highly specific.
    Antibody tests for HSV 2 are not.
    False positives occur with Epstein Barr and Parvovirus for example.

Yes one would test positive if vaccinated but is the test positive purely because of vaccination or actual exposure?
    Thatís why they only now offer vaccination to school kids that are virgins.

Sure a private lab will do the test if you want. But thatís because private labs are about money not health or wellbeing.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by LHGirl
    Funny (or not so funny......) but the biggest rise in herpes today is in Senior Living Communities, where seniors are widowed or divorced, and are just now experimenting sexually after having been monogamous for many decades. They don't even think to ask about STD's, because well.....they just don't.

And to FigureItOut's post about not allowing anyone to kiss your baby.....yes, this is so important! HSV-1 (the cold sore type) can be transmitted to a baby's face, and it will remain in that spot for the rest of that child's life, and it is much more dangerous for a baby than an adult.

I also for a while sold the herpes drug (Valtrex) as a rep, so I learned waaaaaay more than I'd ever want to know about herpes, lol. They gave us these huge bright yellow vinyl tote bags with the gigantic "Valtrex" logo across the bag, so we all joked that we'd grab our "Herpes bags" to go to the beach.

In my situation, as I said, I hung up the phone on that guy who told me he had herpes after the fact. But I had dated a guy prior to him, who was very open with me about his having herpes, who brought me brochures to read, etc. I continued dating him for a while but never had sex; when we broke up, the herpes had nothing to do with it. Point is: Just be honest and up front, if you do have something.
    Sorry only just saw this post now.
    And now it makes sense why your post suggested you loosely knew about antibodies.
    Medical sales rep?

No offence meant but if you came to my laboratory trying to sell a test for HSV 2 , I would tell you I am not interested in a product that has no purpose or validity.

Wow, I may never have sex again after reading this thread.

Platinum Member
    Hey Billie, I'm not doubting or debating anthing you've posted, I'm not that knowledgeable about it, but I am wondering where you learned it?

Are you in the medical profession, nurse or doctor?

I find this all quite fascinating and course it's good to be aware.

Thnx for sharing.

Platinum Member
    Just one more question Billie, if one has been exposed knowingly or unknowingly, if tests confirming are useless, how would they know they're a carrier so they can take the necessary precautions and meds to avoid spreading it to others?

For example, how did Morello's ex (and her doctors) discover and confirm she was a carrier, he said she was on medication, etc.

Even if she had symptoms resembling HSV-2, those symptoms wouldn't confirm it, it could be any number of things.

Serious question Billie, this is all so confusing!

Thnx!

Lots of myths and misinformation. Here are some facts: [Register to see the link]
    Originally Posted by katrina1980
    if one has been exposed knowingly or unknowingly, if tests confirming are useless, how would they know they're a carrier so they can take the necessary precautions and meds to avoid spreading it to others?

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Lots of myths and misinformation. Here are some facts: [Register to see the link]
    Thanks Wiseman! That was very helpful.

Worthy of note, article stated that blood tests will confirm, and are encouraged by doctors in many cases.

"A Herpes blood test can help determine if you have the Herpes infection."

Yes it is. Also there was a successful case where someone was sued for recklessly spreading HSV2 by lying about previous exposure as well as failing to get tested. If this lady is negative and suddenly tested positive she has an excellent case. It's nonsense that "is doesn't spread during non outbreaks" Many cases are asymptomatic.

Yet here we are 2019 and people tell themselves all this nonsense so they can have sex and pretend they or who their are with are not at risk. Bottom line if you were exposed and know you were and further never bother to get tested then fail to disclose that you're liable for reckless endangerment. Same with HIV...also many successful cases against reckless spreaders. Although the consequences of that tend to be criminal rather than civil cases. Basically you can't run around endangering/damaging people just because you want sex.
    Originally Posted by katrina1980
    Thanks Wiseman! That was very helpful."A Herpes blood test can help determine if you have the Herpes infection."

Platinum Member
    Deleted.

....as itís not on topic WRT this thread, which is about whether the OP should tell future partners that past partners had herpes. I say no.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice