He continuously gives me fist pumps

Jbpink24

There is this co-worker I have. He is always giving me fist pumps. I havent him doing it to other ppl. But honestly its just awk for me. Also i walk by he gives me like a wave?. Why if we taljed already etc. But if he comes near me its a fist pump. Its just I dont know how to take it?

Laugh and get on with your work, I wouldn't go too deep into it

Sounds like he likes you and feels comfortable around you, ball is in your court - if you fancy him go for it, if you like him as a friend, laugh and carry on, if he annoys you put up a boundary and keep some distance, I wouldn't know either! Good luck

There is this co-worker I have. He is always giving me fist pumps. I havent him doing it to other ppl. But honestly its just awk for me. Also i walk by he gives me like a wave?. Why if we taljed already etc. But if he comes near me its a fist pump. Its just I dont know how to take it?

It sounds like he likes you and is being friendly towards you. I am curious as to why it's awkward for you that he waves at you and likes to fist bump as his greeting.

Sounds like he's encouraging you on. Are you a junior in the company? I wouldn't care about it if someone did that. Nice of them to show that gesture of faith. You seem unusually easily irritated and edgy. Is there something else at this work place bothering you?

If he's accompanying it with leering stares and inappropriate behaviour or comments that you haven't listed here then it's a different story.

Sounds like he's encouraging you on. Are you a junior in the company? I wouldn't care about it if someone did that. Nice of them to show that gesture of faith. You seem unusually easily irritated and edgy. Is there something else at this work place bothering you?

If he's accompanying it with leering stares and inappropriate behaviour or comments that you haven't listed here then it's a different story.

This was posted in the "dating advise" section so maybe she wants to know if this is a friendzone sign or if it means something more.

This was posted in the "dating advise" section so maybe she wants to know if this is a friendzone sign or if it means something more.

Good point. I guess we won't really know until she offers more info. I think it's a bit odd to read into that as a romantic gesture though. I'd see it as definitely friendly and even big brotherly.

It was.

And maew gave her the confirmation bias she was searching for, but the truth is we have absolutely no idea why he’s fist ‘pumping’ her.

I mean, I fist bump men, including those who I think look like a cross between a wombat and a potato, so if they’re taking my communication as interest...Houston we have a problem...

If she likes him, she likes him but he’s not giving her any obvious signs so it’s not safe to assume anything, so I’d think her only option is to approach him.

I mean let’s be honest, if he is doing it because he likes her and she waits him out it’s gonna be a minute...

If she likes him, she likes him but he’s not giving her any obvious signs so it’s not safe to assume anything, so I’d think her only option is to approach him.

I mean let’s be honest, if he is doing it because he likes her and she waits him out it’s gonna be a minute...

Ain't that the truth!

Don't see a lot of fist bumping (or pumping lol) in my neck of woods, but from what I understand, it's what casual buddies do, not a man romantically interested in a woman and wants to date her, unless he is a clueless buffoon, which is actually possible, never met the man. :p

Ok, so my bf just enlightened me about the difference between fist "bump" and "pump." I'm so effin clueless. Lol

Bump is when you bump fists and pump is when you lift your arm in the air, like to music or when dancing or at a rally or something.

So now I'm wondering which it actually is?

Both aren't great signs he's interested beyond a buddy at work, unless he's just really nervous and doesn't know what the heck he's doing.

I read it as fist pump as in pumping a fist into the air. This means (to me) a type of 'hurrah, let's do this' sort of encouraging gesture related to work and getting pumped so to speak. Surely this can't be foreign to all of you. It happened a lot at the bank where I worked for a time and people were more outgoing there.

Edit: I do agree with Sarah that if you don't like returning the gesture or don't find any fun in it then simply don't do it back. No harm done, I think.

Lol, I've seen fist pumping of course (Rose described it better than I or my bf) just didnt know what it was called.

But then again I'm quite clueless about names for these types of gestures and stuff, lol.

At first I related it to the pump as in "pump and dump" (sex) -- which as I said is definetly not appropriate in the work place!

Joking. :p

Ok, so my bf just enlightened me about the difference between fist "bump" and "pump." I'm so effin clueless. Lol

Bump is when you bump fists and pump is when you lift your arm in the air, like to music or when dancing or at a rally or something.

So now I'm wondering which it actually is?

Both aren't great signs he's interested beyond a buddy at work, unless he's just really nervous and doesn't know what the heck he's doing.

OK so I'm sorry if this is off topic but I have two thoughts on this:

I don't like high fiving or fist bumping with just anyone or on a regular basis as a greeting (germophobe kind of thing plus just not my thing)

A few years ago I bought ice cream for my family at a local ice cream store - the outdoor kind where you order as if it were a drive thru. Anyway, the server wasn't as friendly as I was used to at this place but whatever. So at the end of the transaction he put my ice cream down for me to take and held his hand out in a fist bump style, seeming want a fist bump. So I figured um ok and I gave him one. He then said tonelessly "I just wanted to give you your change."

I was in a situation where an adult -parent of a child we know -regularly wanted to fist bump my child. I didn't like it because his hands were not clean and his children often were sniffly, etc and close contact, etc. So I basically had to insert my body to block it from happening and told my son privately to try to avoid it. Awkward but just not comfortable for me. I wasn't thrilled with him insisting on doing that with my son - I try to avoid touching other people's kids.

Ok...sorry but I am laughing reading this thread... just picturing this guy walking through work, fist ‘pumping” and “ bumping” everyone. Do you work at a carnival or at a club ? This just seems odd for an office type job.

Not sure what kind of advice to give? Is he annoying you or are you into him?

Archived